Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

did bunn cost us today?

Coming out and going to ground for the second goal was crazy.... He didn''t get back on his line giving djeko an open goal...

For the 3rd goal, aguero is running out of space, his only option would have been to try and blast it into the far post if bunn holds his line... By coming out he exposed himself to the chip....

The 4th was just bad luck, but the 2 examples above and we would''ve won 3 2....

Bunn seems a panicky goalkeeper, which leads to his decision making and positioning going to pot....

I can''t help but wonder what the score would have been with ruddy.

The second he stops on his way back to his line with a man covering in front of him, absolute madness!

The third is maybe harsh as its a well controlled finish and Bassong left him 1v1.

The fourth he shouldn''t be conceding from there, Ruddy or no Ruddy, He gets questioned most weeks recently, be tempted to give Rudd a chance.

No, I can''t really see that he cost us today, we should have defended their goals better as a team. Their third dropped so kindly off Seb''s arm it was ''unfair'', Aguerro would have finished in his sleep, whatever Bunn did.

Don''t think Bunn cost us any more than what Bassong did - not an ideal game for him to have his worst peformance for us.

It is all well and good saying he shouldn''t have conceded the 4th, it hit the post and rebounded in off him: these things happen, and are not really the fault of the keeper as there isn''t any way he could get out of the way. Blame the defenders ahead who couldn''t work out the most obvious of offside traps, if you want to blame anyone.

Why do we have to have these particularly negative inquests and the need for a scapegoat all the time? We all saw a great game, we were beaten by a decent side, there were mistakes and great play from both sides, and reffing errors all mixed in with plenty of goals. I for one rather enjoyed it, if not the result.

I don''t think he cost up today. We defended poorly against great forwards and said the price. Yes bunn contributed to some of today''s goals but so did the defender''s but if also saved well covering turner and bassong mistakes. It''s a team game. Especially today''s defensive errors

He was at fault for the second goal, absolutely, and I''m sure he''ll learn from it. I can''t help thinking Ruddy would have perhaps got a hand to the first one, or the fourth. But that''s why Ruddy is a top, top keeper and we MUST keep hold of him. It will be like signing a new player when he makes it back from injury. I want to like Bunn, but I just don''t think he is good enough. We may we as well give Rudd a go, he''s never let anyone down so far.

Same thoughts here. Bunn''s first fine save came late in the second half, that one-handed parry. I can''t help feeling either that several of the goals we conceded lately would have been saved by Ruddy. At the second goal today Bunn got stuck in a completely useless position (rather than retaking his place as quickly as possible). The only aspect of his game that is class is his handling of low shots, other than that (crosses, run-outs) he is not up to standard. The fact that he''s rather diminutive does him little favour. (Aguero could have never chipped the third over Ruddy, although he was lucky that the ball bounced from Bassong into his channel,  and also, West Brom''s first goal could have been handled better by someone taller). Can''s see why Hughton should not give Rudd a game. 

Unfortunately, I think yes he did.

His positioning was poor all day ( as example being goals 2 & 3) and cannot help but think that Ruddy would have done better particularly the own goal at the near post.

He doesn''t fill me with confidence and I felt this way before yesterday. He is an excellent shot stopper but otherwise not commanding enough. 

Hughton''s only dodgy signing so far?

Try Rudd in the cup or if the Cudicini rumours are true it could be a tempory solution to invest in his experience.

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 30/12/2012 3:48 AM:

It is all well and good saying he shouldn''t have conceded the 4th, it hit the post and rebounded in off him.

He was beaten. (Once again) on his near post because of his inability to get down quick enough - if he had been quicker he would have got hands on the ball, it wouldn''t have hit the post, then his back and gone in. And I have to agree the 2nd and 3rd goals were down to his inability to leave his goal line quick enough! He is costing us goals - Swansea and WBA for example! Rudd is a very competent keeper as he displayed last season when called upon, and maybe Bunn needs a rest right now?

Agree with Pablo.

Why we are at it, why not blame Bassong for being distracted by the player (Aguero), and not concentrating on the ball, for the 1st and 3rd goals?

For the 2nd goal Bunn has to do something when Aguero is that close to goal, running backwards at pace, whilst trying to cover angles, is very difficult. 4th goal, you can argue that he had angles covered, and was extremely unlucky. Should have got 2 hands to it, someone said? You are having a laugh, I suppose JR would have caught it with one hand!

People need to stop comparing him to Ruddy, he''s an England goal keeper and one of our top players there woud be something wrong if the stand in keeper was consistently as good as Ruddy. Bunn does ok as a second choice we need to stick with him and get behind him as a loss of confidence from a keeper is the biggest threat to us imo. Also what top keeper will come here to be understudy to Ruddy, unless it''s on loan.

Having watched the MOTD highlights (again) I think the only one he can really be ''blamed'' for is their 2nd goal, but he had to commit himself as he had come off his line so the only logical thing to do was try to stop Aguero cutting the ball back. I think our defenders could''ve helped him out more by taking up positions on the line once they realised Bunn was not going to get back in time but it''s really harsh to blame anyone in particular as the entire defence looked poor throughout the match (although when they''re playing against almost 60 million pounds of striking talent, most defences are going to look poor) 

Bunn is a good 2nd choice keeper if ruddy is suspended or missing a couple of games but he''s not good enough to be 1st choice for 4 months. Craig gordon on a free til end of season.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

People need to stop comparing him to Ruddy, he''s an England goal keeper and one of our top players there woud be something wrong if the stand in keeper was consistently as good as Ruddy. Bunn does ok as a second choice we need to stick with him and get behind him as a loss of confidence from a keeper is the biggest threat to us imo. Also what top keeper will come here to be understudy to Ruddy, unless it''s on loan.

[/quote],

Well said, the more he plays the more he will improve, just look back at some of  the threads from expert panelists about Ruddy early on in his time here, there is an eerie silence from them now, perhaps some of them have converted to the "lets bash Morro under any circumstances" cult, he will learn from his mistakes and as you say confidence is key so lets back him all the way. We have good goal keeping coaches and they will do their job and help him develop to be as good as he can be.

He didn''t cost us the game, but sure helped in our downfall. The second goal was absolutely atrocious goalkeeping, fair enough come off your line, but then bust a gut to get back on it. I have no idea if he thought he was back inbetween the sticks, but it was simply dreadful. However, the loss is not down to Bunn and he did make a world class save towards the end. I thought Bassong had his worse game for us yesterday, as did Garrido.

Unfortunately the lost of Ruddy is really hurting us, the only game in which Bunn has played and played well, IMO, was the Spurs game in the cup.

I think we need to bring a top keeper in, probably on loan, it wont do much for Bunn''s confidence, nor would giving Rudd/Steer a game, but he has had a good handful of games and hasn''t really shown us why he was bought into the club.

If all the rumours about Ruddy leaving are true, we could be in some serious trouble, hopefully any money bought in will be spent wisely- Forster or Butland anyone?

[quote user="TheRock"]I felt the same, i''m so disappointed that Ruddy is out for so long.Lets splash out on Forster?[/quote]

Boring

am i the only one who thinks Forster wouldnt be good enough?

Did well for us in league 1, and plays for the best team in the Scottish premiership.. the quality of opposition is hardly setting the world alight is it?

he was good for us, but slow in getting down and distribution wasnt always good (Leeds away anyone), no better than what we have currently.

Bunn isnt a young goalkeeper, and shouldn''t be making the mistakes we saw yesterday, Cudicini on a 3 month loan would go well for us i think.

this has shades of 94/95 about it... Gunn broke his ankle and was out for the season, Andy Marshall came in and just wasnt up to it.. made some good saves but the defence soon lost confidence in him and defeat after defeat followed...

I maintain back then if Gunny hadn''t of got injured, or Deehan had pushed the boat out to get a keeper on loan who wasnt Simon Tracey we''d have finished top half of the premiership... how different the clubs future might have been...

Hughton needs to make a decision in the next couple of weeks if we are to kick on.

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

Well said, the more he plays the more he will improve, just look back at some of  the threads from expert panelists about Ruddy early on in his time here, there is an eerie silence from them now, perhaps some of them have converted to the "lets bash Morro under any circumstances" cult, he will learn from his mistakes and as you say confidence is key so lets back him all the way. We have good goal keeping coaches and they will do their job and help him develop to be as good as he can be.
[/quote]

The problem with that argument is that Ruddy is still only 26, and has obviously worked on his game in the time he''s been at Norwich. He is a better keeper than he was two years ago. Bunn, meanwhile, is 28 and has already played 145 first-team games in goal. Even - and this is by no means certain - he can improve (and there is not much he can do about being small by modern goal-keeping standards) do we have the luxury of being able to allow him to do it while we are struggling for points?

...He didn''t cost us the game, but sure helped in our downfall. The second goal was absolutely atrocious goalkeeping, fair enough come off your line, but then bust a gut to get back on it. I have no idea if he thought he was back inbetween the sticks, but it was simply dreadful....

Not sure about this. I think he suspected that trying to close the guy down completely - staying so close that the guy couldn''t get a shot or useful pass away - was better than trying to race back to the line, when the player would simply have lobbed him en route.

Bunn''s only real problem is that he isn''t bigger.

He''s not in the same league as Ruddy, but then Ruddy for my money was probably the best keeper in the Permiership before his injury. You can''t have two world class keepers in a squad, especially for a club our size. Bunn is a decent keeper, not great, nor a long term replacement if we were to sell Ruddy, but good enough to cover while he is out. I''d like to see Rudd or Steer in the cup and if they do well there, maybe give then a game or two in the Premiership, but I don''t we should be spending our limited funds on a keeper who would only be of use for 2-3 months.

Bunn did make a great save from Aguero yesterday that kept us in the game and as other have said we should look at Bassong''s performance yesterday before we start criticizing Bunn.

Also it didn''t help that Aguero had one of his best games in a Man City shirt. There''s a reason he cost more than twice our our squad put together.

Bunn is not fully fit. He has been sluggish in the past two games and his kicking has been impaired. He is kicking with a stiff right leg and slicing through the ball. By the end of the Chelsea and Man City games he was barely able to make the halfway lines. The question is whether he should still be playing when we have other options.

[quote user="ron obvious"]...He didn''t cost us the game, but sure helped in our downfall. The second goal was absolutely atrocious goalkeeping, fair enough come off your line, but then bust a gut to get back on it. I have no idea if he thought he was back inbetween the sticks, but it was simply dreadful....

Not sure about this. I think he suspected that trying to close the guy down completely - staying so close that the guy couldn''t get a shot or useful pass away - was better than trying to race back to the line, when the player would simply have lobbed him en route.

Bunn''s only real problem is that he isn''t bigger.[/quote]

Think we have a slight difference of opinion here, as soon as Garrido got out to Aguero Bunn should have been been back-peddling to his line, you can not leave an open goal, ever! I am not sure how he would have got lobbed, would have taken something special from Aguero, considering he was on almost in line with the post, the only real option was the cutback.

Bunn''s decision making is very questionable, which is why he''s a decent shot stopper but offers little else.  When he does something instinctively, its usually pretty good but when he has time to think about what to do, he seems to flounder....ie crosses into the box, long range shots, one on one''s etc.  His stature is also a major issue. Probably why at the age of 28, he''s never really been a first choice keeper.On the performances I''ve seen of Bunn, Rudd and Steer, I don''t see that Bunn offers anything more.  Sooner or later, we need to decide whether Rudd or Steer are good enough at this level, particularly Rudd as the older of the two.  We''re never going to be able to do this without giving them games.  I agree in giving Bunn one last go at West Ham but definately give one of the youngsters a chance in the cup.