Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

Wilbraham & Whitbread released...

Interesting that Barnett appears to be staying also. I know he''s not out of contract so it may be selling him on, though interesting nonetheless.

Fox getting a new contract you''d say too, Drury as well.

quote user="The Pink''un Role Model"][quote user="Jally"][quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][/quote]Feel the club screwed up big time here, we are now left with 2 young CB, one who i doubt will play for City again, unreliable and super dodgy Ward and perhaps Martin. Appears to me like we will need to make 3 or so defensive signings this summer, very bizarre move[/quote]Who''s the young centre back who will never play for us again?[/quote]Barnett?[/quoteSorry that wasn''t clear, we have two young CBs in Bennett and Ayala, the one who i doubt will never play for city again is a separate player - BarnettSo we are left with Ayala and Bennett (Ayala still has a lot to prove i would say) and Ward as our CB''s, as i expect Barnett will go. If Martin is in line to become a CB we still need another and i would suggest 2 full backs too.Feeling a little worried now!! Sorry should try be a bit more positive but i was dreading the news Whitbred has been let go

Fancy Whitbread to sign for Villa personally, very short of players all over the pitch. However, I do not expect Lambert to join him.

The boy Zak has allegedly been offered £40k (!!) per week at Sunderland.

I rated Zak highly - our best center back by some distance (when fit of course!). Hell of a gamble by MON - Zak doesn''t do run of the mill, out fir a week type injuries. When he''s out, he''s gone for months. MON won''t like that. Has short sympathy for regularly injured players (again, allegedly you understand).

We need an experienced center back to come in and provide organisation and leadership and to help steady the two unproven youngsters.  

Think you will find Whitbread has already in effect signed for Sunderland doubleing his money. As I understand it he was offered a contract but we had no chance of competeing

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Looks like the rumours about whitbread wanting a much bigger contract than we would give him are true...

Good luck to Wilbrahamovic - over the last month he did look like our best striker,  which I never thought I would say.  Right decision though.

[/quote]

Feel the club screwed up big time here, we are now left with 2 young CB, one who i doubt will play for City again, unreliable and super dodgy Ward and perhaps Martin. Appears to me like we will need to make 3 or so defensive signings this summer, very bizarre move[/quote]You don''t think Ayala will play for us again? He seems one of the best we have. Agree we need another quality CB (maybve the french one we were linked to) and definitely a right back. Lappin, Drury and Tierney have left back covered though.By the way we also have Barnett if needed

I thought Whitbread was only average and had a bad injury record, if we want to improve we need players on contracts without them being injury prone, Whitbread did get caught out a few times with his poor passes, okay he was a good shot stopped and good in the air, but as i say average, not worth a premiership contract.Lambert will bring in someone better that''s for sure.Clear the decks first.

[quote user="The Young One"]I thought Whitbread was only average and had a bad injury record, if we want to improve we need players on contracts without them being injury prone, Whitbread did get caught out a few times with his poor passes, okay he was a good shot stopped and good in the air, but as i say average, not worth a premiership contract.Lambert will bring in someone better that''s for sure.Clear the decks first.[/quote]

Think you might find he has not been playing since he turned us down. Judging on the choices he had the rest of the prem do not agree with your summing up

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"][quote user="The Young One"]I thought Whitbread was only average and had a bad injury record, if we want to improve we need players on contracts without them being injury prone, Whitbread did get caught out a few times with his poor passes, okay he was a good shot stopped and good in the air, but as i say average, not worth a premiership contract.Lambert will bring in someone better that''s for sure.Clear the decks first.[/quote]

Think you might find he has not been playing since he turned us down. Judging on the choices he had the rest of the prem do not agree with your summing up[/quote]

Care to back your comments up with facts or are you just quoting heresay ?

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]Think you will find Whitbread has already in effect signed for Sunderland doubleing his money. As I understand it he was offered a contract but we had no chance of competeing[/quote]

That one has done the rounds a bit.

Money is tight in football. Why would Sunderland offer him double the money he is on at Norwich?

They already have Brown, Bramble, Turner, Kilgallon and O''Shea on their books. Why would they offer Zak double what he''s on now when he is only ever fit to play half a season?

I mean Zak has been good but I can''t see he''s done enough for someone to come in and offer him that much of an improvement on his wages.

Maybe he will go to Sunderland but I just can''t see that they''d need or want to up his money that much.

I heard a few weeks ago that Zak would never play for Norwich again following a half time bust up with Lambert at Fulham when we were 2-0 down.He was not happy with the formation being played and never appeared for the second half and has not been seen since.

I''m not too bothered about Zak to be honest. Yes, he was a pretty solid centre back for us but I am quietly confident we have plans to bring in somebody with more potential and less injury prone.

It is important we try and keep a settled centre back pairing next season so we keep a few more clean sheets.

If Howson and R Bennett are anything to go on as future signings we have nothing to worry about.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]Think you will find Whitbread has already in effect signed for Sunderland doubleing his money. As I understand it he was offered a contract but we had no chance of competeing[/quote]

Money is tight in football. Why would Sunderland offer him double the money he is on at Norwich?

They already have Brown, Bramble, Turner, Kilgallon and O''Shea on their books. Why would they offer Zak double what he''s on now when he is only ever fit to play half a season?

I mean Zak has been good but I can''t see he''s done enough for someone to come in and offer him that much of an improvement on his wages.

Maybe he will go to Sunderland but I just can''t see that they''d need or want to up his money that much.

[/quote]

Did not get it from a rumor or guesswork sorry to disappoint.

If the Sunderland rumour is true then I am not disappointed at this outcome. It means one thing for sure and that is we are not yet prepared to break our wages structure and pay silly wages for any player.

Is there anybody reading this board who would be happy to see £40, 000 go out of the Carrow coffers given this early stage in our Premiership existence and particularly accounting in Whitbread''s terrible fitness record. Let Sunderland be the next club to take that perilous route. Did MO''N not contribute to Villas current demise by signing big earners too? Emile Heskey was paid that amount for JHC''s sake.  

The only person at the club whose demands we should give way to atm is Paul Lambert, and then with a certain amount of reasonableness either way.

If Sunderland really are offering the kind of money being mentioned on here for Whitbread''s wages then good luck to them........I can only hope for their sakes they have a well stocked treatment room

[quote user="TIL 1010"] I heard a few weeks ago that Zak would never play for Norwich again following a half time bust up with Lambert at Fulham when we were 2-0 down.He was not happy with the formation being played and never appeared for the second half and has not been seen since.[/quote]. like Tierney and Morison? Stuuupid rumours. Worrys me more that three of our most promising youngsters have been released, I can''t wait until our youth system is creating first team players! I thought whitbread was our best defender and obviously needs replacing with another quality CB but was so injury prone. Let''s see who Lambert will find now!

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote] Did not get it from a rumor or guesswork sorry to disappoint.[/quote]

Are you Zak Whitbread? Are you his agent? Are you an official from Sunderland?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I heard a few weeks ago that Zak would never play for Norwich again following a half time bust up with Lambert at Fulham when we were 2-0 down.He was not happy with the formation being played and never appeared for the second half and has not been seen since.[/quote]

That sounds about right TIL...it was his worse performance and he didn''t look happy.

I''m absolutely gutted, but like our "leader" of a few years ago said "there will be new heroes" :0)

I told you. It''s unfortunate that Whitbread left but when he gets a double your money offer he''s bound to do. Contract negotiations weren''t going well and they started back in late Feburary. I''ve heard some rumours that we are on the verge of signing Curtis Davies. Maybe they are acting quick after Whitbreads departure?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Undoubtedly the biggest shock exit of a defender since Doc.[/quote]

Oh mate.I''d just started coming to terms with that and you had to open the wound[:''(]

whitbreads importance has been overstated - we still conceded too many goals with him back there.

However as well as basic salary its clear location is important to him - as will the size of the signing on fee.   Its all about the money with these players.

Curtis Davies would be interesting..

To the guys saying he''s been offered 40K at Sunderland, you do realise no English club would be able to enter into negotiations with him till his contract with us ran out? I am not saying there may not have been some illegal discussion with his agent, but if there was an offer i am sure it would be kept very secret to prevent Sunderland breaching any FA rules.I honestly think this is a case of Lambert not wanting him for whatever reason, not going to speculate, i think it''s his injury concerns. It''s a shame we lost him on a free as he may have been one of our most valued players

Im not 100% sure priceryrice, but I thought players could start talking to clubs with 6 months to remain on there contract, ie. the 1st of January.

??

Whitbread was a good centre half when fit but I remember all the tears flowing when Doc was given the boot.

Lambert knows what he''s doing. He wants to push the club to the next stage, if he thinks Whitbread will not help then stand by for a decent replacement.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

"I''ve heard some rumours that we are on the verge of signing Curtis Davies"

Hope so. Supposedly highly rated CB.

[/quote]He''s always injured as well.  His Wikipedia page reads like an episode of Casualty

Come on guys, Whitbread played less than half of our games last year and only 20 out of 46 the season before...

I just hope the conversation went something like this...

Zaks Agent : we have a few offers in the pot, but my player loves the club and for a 20% pay rise would love to stay..

Lambert : ok, if we give him 20% will he play 20% more games for us?

Zaks agent :  *silience*

Lambert : Thanks but no thanks...shows him the door...

I think the rule is they can talk to foreign clubs within 6 months of their contract expiring but domestic clubs can only talk to a player when they have a month or less to run on their contract.

I may be wrong but i think that''s the rule, i''m pretty sure there are ways round all this with agents getting a heads up early as to what offers will be on the table

[quote user="Monty burns"]

Come on guys, Whitbread played less than half of our games last year and only 20 out of 46 the season before...

I just hope the conversation went something like this...

Zaks Agent : we have a few offers in the pot, but my player loves the club and for a 20% pay rise would love to stay..

Lambert : ok, if we give him 20% will he play 20% more games for us?

Zaks agent :  *silience*

Lambert : Thanks but no thanks...shows him the door...

[/quote]

Very funny could be true, we all know most agents/players are greedy.A lot of the brown smelly stuff on this thread though.