Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Embarrassing Performance today

I don''t know why the team bothered to travel up to Manchester because today most of them didn''t bother to get off the bus once they arrived. There''s one thing about showing respect to the opposition but it''s a totally different matter going out there thinking you''re going to get beat. I thought we were the team that always gave it a go? Well today we didn''t. Apart from a five-minute flurry around the hour-mark substitution we had all the enthusiasm of a dentist''s waiting room.

Yes we know it was Man City but if you''re going into the game with a never-say-win attitude you''re going to get rolled over. And we did. Our worst performance in the Premier League to date. We sat too deep.With dithered on the ball. We showed too much respect. Some of the team looked as though they would rather have been somewhere else at 3pm. And it was not a question of if but when will Man C.score.We just gave them three points on a plate this afternoon. Our attitude was all wrong.

And what was wrong with Ruddy? Had a representative of a Far-Eastern betting ring approached him before kick-off? He was reponsible for four out of the five goals conceded, and his glaring fumbling of the ball for the second proves he has all the credentials for an England goalkeeper.

Shockingly inept performance today. Hope it was a one-off.   

Out come the moaners, [:$]

We''re 10th in the league and out of the teams beneath us,

Bolton & Wigan got threashed too

QPR & Swansea only drew

Blackburn won but are still 6 pts behind us.

What did people expect today [:$]

Wow. That is ridiculously over the top and damning.

After Manchester United and Arsenal where we played well defensively and looked to do well on the break, we tried the same today. It didn''t work, as Man City are extremely organised defensively and it just meant they sucked up the pressure by playing their normal 4-5-1 from the half-way line.

However, we played that strategy and while Man City were always likely to score, it took them a while.

In the second half we had a real go at it, but were unfortunate and naive in places, and got picked apart.

We moaned after Sunderland were decribed as poor, saying that they were poor because they were outclassed. The same with us today; Man City made us look poor because today it was like playing Barcelona. We didn''t stand a chance with whatever strategy we played because they have bought a wonderteam.

Well done Morison.

Totally disagree. Let''s be honest Man City are different class & I thought we did well to restrict them to 1-0 at half time. We had a couple of decent chances (Morison & Bennet just after half time) but we failed to convert them. After Ruddy''s howler and the introduction of the subs I thought we gave almost as good as we got & after our goal we could have had another. I''m not saying that we deserved anything from the game as stupid defending has again cost us dear. I wasn''t expecting much else from today & despite the dominate MC possession count I though we did as well as could be expected & I didn''t see any of the defeatest attitude that you did.

We were outclassed by what is likely to be the best side in the prem since arses invincibles. They create so many chances and attack relentlessly.

No - we were never really in the game, but to be honest today does not matter.

History (our record away to them is worse than ours at selhurst park!), their capability to create together with our inept defending meant a heavy defeat was always likely. However there is noone else as good as them and we need to focus on picking up wins against the teams from 8th place and below.

COYY

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

I don''t know why the team bothered to travel up to Manchester because today most of them didn''t bother to get off the bus once they arrived. There''s one thing about showing respect to the opposition but it''s a totally different matter going out there thinking you''re going to get beat. I thought we were the team that always gave it a go? Well today we didn''t. Apart from a five-minute flurry around the hour-mark substitution we had all the enthusiasm of a dentist''s waiting room.

Yes we know it was Man City but if you''re going into the game with a never-say-win attitude you''re going to get rolled over. And we did. Our worst performance in the Premier League to date. We sat too deep.With dithered on the ball. We showed too much respect. Some of the team looked as though they would rather have been somewhere else at 3pm. And it was not a question of if but when will Man C.score.We just gave them three points on a plate this afternoon. Our attitude was all wrong.

And what was wrong with Ruddy? Had a representative of a Far-Eastern betting ring approached him before kick-off? He was reponsible for four out of the five goals conceded, and his glaring fumbling of the ball for the second proves he has all the credentials for an England goalkeeper.

[/quote]Go and "support" someone else.Just have a look at what Man City have done against other teams at home. We did better against them than Man U did. A £100+ million squad is what made Norwich''s performance look embarrasing to you, just as would a defeat of leaders of Ridgeon''s Premier division against, say, Sheffield United or whatever; the financial gap is less!

[quote user="cityangel"]

Out come the moaners, [:$]

[/quote]Sorry to correct you CA but he isn''t a moaner, he is a Binner! Seven wins on the bounce and they are still more concerned with us, amazing.

Well it is done. Lets move on to the game which means more next Saturday.

We were playing a team that 9 out of ten games will beat us, the other day we will maybe get adraw or a win. It was very unlikely that we could do anything and today we were taught the standards that a team like man city expect. Our standards are high but will never be up to those standards.

We were gonig to defend for alot of it, and we did with 76% of possession to man city at half time.

Again with one upfront it leaves Morison on his own, certainly we caused them a few problems.

Lambert says you can enjoy playing the big four/ five/six if you compete. Today we did during the game, but were outclassed. I believe the players and coaching team can brush off this result and move to next week.

That is the key we shouldn''t be disheartened, we will play a different system against newcastle and begin to up our performances. I will agree that following the swansea game our performances haven''t been as complete. Even the result against qpr we were a little short. But now is the time for us to step it up, lot of games in a short space of time.

Sure we will be fired up for the toon army. A game I can''t wait for because it is these games where we are more likely to win than against the man city''s of this world.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Wow. That is ridiculously over the top and damning. After Manchester United and Arsenal where we played well defensively and looked to do well on the break, we tried the same today. It didn''t work, as Man City are extremely organised defensively and it just meant they sucked up the pressure by playing their normal 4-5-1 from the half-way line. However, we played that strategy and while Man City were always likely to score, it took them a while. In the second half we had a real go at it, but were unfortunate and naive in places, and got picked apart. We moaned after Sunderland were decribed as poor, saying that they were poor because they were outclassed. The same with us today; Man City made us look poor because today it was like playing Barcelona. We didn''t stand a chance with whatever strategy we played because they have bought a wonderteam. Well done Morison.[/quote]

Man City organised defensively?They didn''t have any defending to do today. And as for our great second half performance we conceded four goals comparedto the first half of only conceding one.

Truth is we haven''t played well since Swansea. The QPR game we looked like two Championship sides. And Lambert still doesn''t know his best formation. The excuse will be well look who we were playing against but we looked like Sunday pub team. And Man City didn''t even need to get out of second gear.    

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]

[/quote]

Go and "support" someone else.

Just have a look at what Man City have done against other teams at home. We did better against them than Man U did. A £100+ million squad is what made Norwich''s performance look embarrasing to you, just as would a defeat of leaders of Ridgeon''s Premier division against, say, Sheffield United or whatever; the financial gap is less!
[/quote]

I would compare our performance today against our performance against Man Utd and Chelsea as a better comparison. In those two games we competed. Today we didn''t. Today our tactics was everyone behind the ball without any of the counter-attacking that we showed earlier in the season against the ''bigger'' teams. Be in denial if you wish/. 

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Wow. That is ridiculously over the top and damning. After Manchester United and Arsenal where we played well defensively and looked to do well on the break, we tried the same today. It didn''t work, as Man City are extremely organised defensively and it just meant they sucked up the pressure by playing their normal 4-5-1 from the half-way line. However, we played that strategy and while Man City were always likely to score, it took them a while. In the second half we had a real go at it, but were unfortunate and naive in places, and got picked apart. We moaned after Sunderland were decribed as poor, saying that they were poor because they were outclassed. The same with us today; Man City made us look poor because today it was like playing Barcelona. We didn''t stand a chance with whatever strategy we played because they have bought a wonderteam. Well done Morison.[/quote]

Man City organised defensively?They didn''t have any defending to do today. And as for our great second half performance we conceded four goals comparedto the first half of only conceding one.

Truth is we haven''t played well since Swansea. The QPR game we looked like two Championship sides. And Lambert still doesn''t know his best formation. The excuse will be well look who we were playing against but we looked like Sunday pub team. And Man City didn''t even need to get out of second gear.    

[/quote]You''re a Binner, go away Binner...also, who ''taught'' you to spell? Sod off Binner! Seven game losing streak, you must be gutted!

[/quote]You''re a Binner, go away Binner...also, who ''taught'' you to spell? Sod off Binner! Seven game losing streak, you must be gutted!

Jesus, I genuinely thought nobody would be this stupid. Get a grip man, we were playing the best team in the country by an absolute mile.

It''s Hobson''s Choice isn''t it. Play defence vs attack and lose one goal in a half or play more expansively and let in four goals in a half but get one back?

It isn''t that simple, of course. It''s one thing to defend but with no out options at all it just becomes a matter of time before you conceed.

If you consistently give the ball away when coming out of defence the result is the same.

If you defend too deep, ditto.

So, despite our work-rate and the superior opposition we gave ourselves too much to do defensively; we gave the ball away because we played two defensive midfielders who can only play it short; we dropped too deep; our goal-keeper failed to step up to the occasion and we made clangers.

This definately was NOT the best we can do; no where near.

I fail to see how Surman or Crofts gets in ahead of Fox and John Ruddy''s handling, decision making and especially his speed off the line are no where near Premier League standards. I remember a young goal-keeper many years ago playing a blinder at home to Newcastle and we won 2 - 1. I suggest Rudd be given his chance - he did alright against West Brom; he has character and confidence and he kicks better than Ruddy who needs to be dropped to recover himself.

I didn''t rate the performance against QPR and said the win shouldn''t be allowed to mask the poor play; we got away with it. To send a team out with no creative players and one up front shows a lack of confidence in the defence and just encourages the opposition.

I can see what Paul Lambert was trying to do today and even if we had lost 3 - 1 it would have looked a good result but we seriously need to freshen up that defence and ask more questions of the opposition.

Steve Morison was man of the match for Norwich and deserved a goal for all his hard work. The fact is, he has the lowest pass completion rate of any player in the Premier league which says more about his colleagues and the system than him.

why are so many people over reacting?

man city have spent millions upon million. they took off aguero and put on ballottelli for christ sake.

i predicted a4-1 loss today but am not disappointed and nor should anyone else be. the other results went our way so whats the worry?

I wouldn''t say it was embarrassing but sadly, I do fear that our performance levels have dropped considerably since our early season run of ''form'' - but we have played some very good teams (and very very good today).Lets get going again next week and hope we can start playing to the levels that we were earlier in the season.

boo hiss! Lambert out!Jewell in!the club is going nowhere.. we couldnt beat the best team in the country.. ya boo sucks!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]boo hiss! Lambert out!Jewell in!the club is going nowhere.. we couldnt beat the best team in the country.. ya boo sucks![/quote]Quite agree...Why, their scorers only cost at least £20 million each.We must be c*ap so not just Lambert out but Delia out too for good measure ( and McNally come to think of it !! )I''m off to Portman Road......they''ve got a great team.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="jas the barclay king"]boo hiss! Lambert out!

Jewell in!

the club is going nowhere.. we couldnt beat the best team in the country.. ya boo sucks!
[/quote]

Quite agree...

Why, their scorers only cost at least £20 million each.

We must be c*ap so not just Lambert out but Delia out too for good measure ( and McNally come to think of it !! )

I''m off to Portman Road......they''ve got a great team.
[/quote]

Yep...

They''ve got the ambition Smithy....

Make no mistake about that!

We were going to get a thumping at some point.Chelsea 3 - 1 NCFCMan U 2 - 0 NCFCLiverpool 1 - 1 NCFCMan C 5 - 1 NCFCFrankly, I''d have taken that before the season started.

It is rather astonishing how some over react to things at times, good and bad, but c''est la vie. Maybe the performance today wasnt quite as ''effective'' as we might have hoped(given Man U and Chelsea) but in all honesty it was never really going to matter against a side averaging 3 goals a game and sitting well clear at the top of the league. We could maybe do with upping our performance level a wee bit, and could do with a bit more solidity at the back, but neither of those things are any more or less so after today''s game.

I know you are not suppost to mention any negatives about our performances on this board but I do think that we did lay down and accept our fate a bit in the second half. Something we''ve not seen so far this season but deny it all you want, it did happen today. The gulf in class is obvious and something we can do nothing about but I''m sure Lambert will not be happy with the way we folded.

There is also an arguement that many of you are over-reacting defensively (a bit like the team) and there is a world of difference between criticism and absolute slating.

Yes, it is crucial we put this one behind us and look forward to Newcastle but at the same time let''s not, to paraphrase Pink Floyd, hang-on in quiet desperation - being the English way.

Lambert didn''t set out to lose this game. He clearly set out to contain and be in with a chance to gamble on more expansive play later on. Due to a soppy second goal he had to move this play forward ten minutes or so, something he could not legislate for and since the Liverpool game his plans have been regularly ruined by clangers.

But, tell me why Ruddy deserves not to be dropped. Tell me why Fox deserves to be dropped down the pecking order and also why Morison plays up front alone at home instead of just making sarcastic remarks about sacking the manager.

You need to get real Rock the Boat.

If we had played the expansive game you are so clearly asking for we would''ve been beat by a hell of a lot more today. Man City are a very good side this season, they have a quality team and are now playing as a team, there will be more teams who go to the Etihad this season and get beat by the same scoreline if not more!

If you did not think we were in for a hiding today then you quite clearly know nothing about football or generally haven''t kept an eye on the Premier League this season as there has been one team who has been completely dominant and we came up against them ON THEIR OWN PATCH today.

I generally think you are one of these Norwich fan''s who love to moan, who thrived during the Grant, Roeder and Gunn period, but of late your opportunities to have a moan have dried up considerably! However now you have a chance (and a slim one at that) you have come on here and vented your spleen on us all, or is that you are just an attention seeking wh*re who wants his 10 page thread?

Time to wake up Rock the Boat, we will have performances + results like today and its about how you deal with it, more ''intelligent'' or ''level headed'' fans will move on knowing that it was unlikely we would get anything today, if i could offer you any advice don''t dwell or take anything from today''s result, it will not define our season!

Oh and to suggest John Ruddy accepts money to fix matches is quite simply ludicrous and not even the slightest bit funny....its also borderline libelous!

It''s a disgrace that we got rolled over that shambles of a side, that Man City team are bound to be relegated at the end of the season, i really cant see them getting anything off any of the other premier league teams. 3 points lost.

If we stay in this league this season it will be a bigger achievement than Man City winning the league. Our entire squad has been built at a cost of half of one of their flops cost.