Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Huckerby released

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Seems to me there''s two things going on here. The decision to release Huckerby and the decision not to announce it until today.

I think virtually all of us agree that it was wrong of Roeder not to announce Hucks'' departure before the Sheff Wed game, if he''d already made his mind up at that point.

But was he right to let Hucks go at all? Personally I feel Hucks has done very little to deserve a new contract based on his performances this season. I can totally understand why GR might think he''s not worth those wages any more. He doesn''t tear teams apart like he used to, which makes the lack of other contributions (like defending) more relevant.

Very poorly handled, but ultimately probably the right decision in my view.

[/quote]

Spot on Robert - too many people seem to be getting too emotional over this, but in many cases for the right reasons. 

Letting Huckerby go is the end of an era and he has been a great servant over the years, but it is probably the right move in football terms as he has not been at his best for some time and is not the match winner he once was (mind you he still looks a bloody sight better than Croft, Eagle et al).

What feels wrong is that, as others have said, such a good player did not get the sort of farewell he deserved.  Huckerby deserved a lap of honour, standing ovation send off from the fans at a game and not to be shot out of the back door in the way he has been.  We also deserved the chance to say thanks to him for his efforts over the years and the memories.

The whole thing seems like an object lesson in how not to handle PR around the departure and has turned a sensible decision into a stick with which people will be able to beat the manager and board if we dont start strongly next season.  So easy to have avoided this...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Utter madness, stupid, I can''t believe it. What a shabby way to treat a City legend.

I suspect that the decision not to announce anything until now was based on selling more tickets for the Greatest Ever event. That will effectively be an official ''send off'' for Hucks. Considering tickets weren''t selling well, I wouldn''t put it past the board to use this as a way of getting more people to come.

What a shocking decision. The most skilful player at the club, the only player with the sheer ability to create something out of nothing, an incredibly experienced head on his shoulders and we don''t renew his contract. It''s the same old slippery slope. Get rid of Hucks and Roeder will replace him with someone no more than half as good. Hucks clearly had another season in him but this decision smacks of a new manager sweeping clean. Now Roeder, in his mind anyway, has complete and utter control of the team. IMO he regarded Hucks as a challenge to his authority. And, of course, the Board will support this decision because look at the money that will be saved, and I mean saved, by letting Hucks go ! The two players that I wanted released are retained - Doherty and Shackell - two players who in my opinion are associated with abject failure in defence.

I''m very undecided in how I feel Tongue Tied [:S]On one hand, he can tear any defence in football to bits when he''s on his day.On the other, how many times in the last 2 years has he been on his day?City legend without doubt, but can we really afford to pay 10-15k a week for 5 decent performances a season?I''m angry as to how he''s been treated though. Am I the only one thinking that nothing was released until today because tickets sales for the greatest ever event were going slow, and now they think people will buy tickets to say bye bye to Huckerby?All these posters saying that the club is gutless and shambolic are going a bit far in my opinion. No player is bigger than the club.

[quote user=" C.T"]I cannot believe it- [:''(] come on Glenn whats the matter with you?[/quote]

In my opinion, Roeder has a large capacity for spite.

I cannot believe the manner in which this was handled. Ok, the manager has to make his decisions and either succeeds or fails by them, but to simply say thanks a lot, and bye....well, that is an appaling way to treat someone who has given 100% and more on and off the field. Good luck to you Hucks, I hope you understand that the boards appreciation of you is poles apart from the fans..

Bollocks to you Roeder! You think you can just swan in here and treat a true City legend so badly? Releasing the most skillful player at the club, well done Sir. To quote Kevin Keegan, you went down in my estimation when you did that.

IMO the decision to let him go is the right one. For all of you saying that seeing him on the team sheet would put fear into opposition I would think the opposite is true. Huckerby playing basically means the opposition have an extra man in midfield and their full back can double up on ours whenever he feels like it. For all his attacking strength, Hucks is a liability defensively and severely limits the options you have for team selection e.g. not playing two wingers because it would leave us too exposed - when do you ever see this in other teams?. Up to this season I would say that the attacking benefits you got from Hucks far outweighed the problems above but I just don''t think this is the case anymore.

Well said - the football decision I can handle even if I do not agree with it. It makes me angry though that a player who has given more to this club than Dion did not get his chance for a proper ovation and goodbye from the fans.  Roeder has gone down in my estimation today for the way this has been handled. What harm could it have done to have announced this well before the end of the season? Let''s hope he rightly gets his place in the Greatest Ever team.  Thanks Hucks.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I hope Hux tells them to stick their greatest ever event up their arris.[/quote]

I second that emotion RK. Maybe you should start a thread, I will be 1st in line to sign it !

first off, sadly i do have to agree that this has been handled awfully.......even using the bad for morale argument we were safe after QPR and things could have been said then.

Normally id imagine professional footballers would be too busy putting their feet up at home playing as themselves on Pro Evo but in Darren i think we had a rare breed of player who actually really cared for the club he played for....fully agree with an earlier poster in that he is the only player i can remember since Eadie that could turn a match so easily. An absolute legend and although the board cocked up big time i hope the man himself is on here reading this to realise how much he was appreciated by all who bleed yellow and green.....

Second point id like to bring up however is that it has been said to be by various parties that Hucks was on 18K a week.......now i dont know how easy it would have been to renegotiate a contract with him, but if say we could get hoolahan in on 9k a week (or less!), plus A.N Other and his premiership reserve half brother.....then potentially we havent done quite so badly out of it all/.....obviously young talent needs time to get up to the qualities of Hux, but he is ageing and perhaps new blood can freshen things up.

OTBC.

Good luck with wherever u end up Darren.

And board.........its now or never......if you dont put some serious cash behind next season we could well be headed back to the chase out days and no one wants that!

Great posts from Uplmm and Anderz.

It''s a sad day for us City fans, Hucks had a huge impact on this club but it''s all a part and parcel of football that players, whether they be great ones like Hucks and Dublin, or whether they be poor ones like Robinson and Thorne, all go at some point.

Just say if we got ourselves safe when we should''ve done, weeks before the QPR game. Honestly, what sort of effect does anyone think that would''ve had on this bunch of weak-minded players that GR has at his disposal - because I for one dread to think.

One more year for Hucks might''ve been good but, let''s face it, most of it would probably have been spent with him coming on from the sub''s bench - does anyone honestly think that Hucks would''ve really wanted that, no matter how much he loves NCFC? If he had of stayed another year, then we would probably have had all this palava again next season and it would probably have been one more year, followed on by another one more year etc. That''s why it was probably best that he goes this summer, time he was still very highly thought of by us City fans. It''s a great pity that he couldn''t have gone out on more of a high, but there you go, worse things happen in the world but I shall certainly miss not seeing him in our proud colours.

Nothing lasts forever - time to move on now and (try) to look forward to see what Roeder can do this summer and next season.

Chairman Roger Munby added: "When Nigel Worthington pulled off the coup of signing Darren, Peter Crouch and Kevin Harper on loan in the autumn of 2003 the football world sat up and took notice.

"They were right to do so. Daren had a galvanising effect on the club, on and off the pitch, and was an integral factor in our promotion to the Premier League the following May."

Thanks for that Munby - what about the conribution he has made ?..or could continue to make ?

Or are you so stuck in the past you only want to make comments about 5 years ago ?

Whatever your opinion it is a very brave decision by Roeder, if he doesn''t make some impressive signings he is going to have an awful lot of angry fan''s on his back. Managers live or die by these type of decisions and I just hope he has a master plan.

im gutted and feel let down by the club again.

delia and the baord and glenn you better come up with the goods the summer otherwise the backlash will start

OH HUCKERBY

the more i think about it, the closer i get to tears. think its just starting to hit home.

Guys....although i wish Hucks does get another year, we can''t really slate Roeder or praise him about this.

None of us know all the reasons why he''s letting him go, could be power struggle, money, wages etc we don''t know. So in my opinion we should wait and see what happens before saying whether it is a good or bad decision.

Just my opinion

Last of all, just want to mention how amazing Hucks has been for us, so many good memories for us. Hes been a unbeliveble ambassador for this club, thanks Hucks, all the best.

i find it a disgrace that roeder wants playerz who want 2 win and once again hux gets dragged in

on sunday he WAS the ONLY player we had that wanted 2 win!

thank you hux forever my hero!

comone guys we all knew it was coming with the "time for new heroes" speach. . .. lets not forget he was still on premiership wages! lets just hope the money saved can be budgeted into a larger tansfer kitty, may help to get in key players for the future, which is important if we want to challenge next yr!

but he will always be remebered as the saviour of NCFC

One of the greatest ever.

A sad day when NCFC can''t hold onto their best player because they need to save a few quid.

If he is too old at 32 then what idiot bought Cureton at the same age.

I am angry but not surprised. It merely confirms that those in charge of this club have no idea and now no chance of turning our fortunes round.

Desperately disappointed in our club but I wish Hucks well for the future and thank him for some of the most exciting moments I have ever witnessed ar CR.

Unless Roeder signs someone with similar attacking flair and delivers quality football at carrow rd next season...this will be my last season as a season ticket holder. I hope i am wrong but i have not belived in roeder since he came here.

Glenn must like pressure; because if next season he has 25,000 fans thinking "If only we had a Huckerby" on matchdays, he won''t be lasting too long!

I am gutted. This supposed great ''family'' club does it again to the fans and one who is dear to our hearts.

If Roeder has known for as long as he says then some respect should had shown to us the paying supporters giving us the chance to say our goodbye''s to a genuine City Legend. Would we had been promoted without Hucks, doupt it. Would we have stayed up the prevoius two seasons without him?  

I hope Glenn has a replacement lined up. I want him to succeed so much, but I have a feeling this decision could seriously back fire.

Good luck Darren, its been a pleasure and a watching you wear the Green and Yellow, and if more players wore it with the pride and proffessionalism that you have done we would not have had seasons like the past four we''ve had.  

I am gutted an gobsmacked. And do you know who I''m most gutted for, huckerby and his family. It''s awful the way they have treated them. The club and roeder should be ashamed and that doesn''t even reflect how bad a decision this is.