Sign in to follow this  
Cottaging Canary

'The Canaries' - That old style pre-match song

Anyone know much about this song - when it was released, why, who sung it etc?!! More importantly, anyone know where I can download it, as bad as it is I''ve really grown to like it!

Haven''t really explained it very well but sure most of you will know the one I mean, gets played just before the teams come out and at the end of the game. "The Canries, the canaries......."

From memory it was released in 73 by the squad..milk cup?/ promotion?..I cant remember. I think the backing band was Joss Aplin a local band...That may be totally wrong but I have it on 7" vinyl somewhere.

Was released in 1973 to celebrate promotion to the 1st division and sung by the aquad

On the B side is a song called the Canaries Calypso, now that is cringeworthy, recorded by Chic Applin

I too have the original 7" complete with the sleeve autographed by the title winning squad!

Oh the Canary Calypso is classic! "Our team is the head of the pro-mot-ion race!!!" Classic

Unfortunately I have that whole god awful Norwich CD!

You can also download it for FREE if you go to myspace music and search Norwich City in the artist field.

itunes has the entire album.the song on there by the bsp is bad...."this is dedicated to N-C-F-C with respect - the B-S-P"would of loved to have been there to laugh when they came up with that line.the Canary Rock''N''Roll is amusing enough however.but yeah... baaaaadi like the ballad of crosan and bly :Dbaaaad.

[quote user="Freeza"]

Oh the Canary Calypso is classic! "Our team is the head of the pro-mot-ion race!!!" Classic

[/quote]

Join the club!

But i agree...its the Nor-Itch Citeee cal-ip-so

[quote user="Freeza"]

[/quote]

Join the club!

But i agree...its the Nor-Itch Citeee cal-ip-so

You obviously didn''t travel to the Ipswich game on the 10 o''clock train. It was bluetoothed to just about every mobile phone on the train.

It was really funny to hear it moving through the train as more people got it and passed it on.

[quote user="YellowIce"]Does everybody love the "on the ball city" chant - or des anyone find that embarrasing?[/quote]

WHAT??? Of course we love OTBC!

I remember the Canary Rock and Roll. How embarrassing was that?

''Do-in, do-in that canary,

Do-in, do-in the canary,

Do-in, the canary rock and rOOooOol''

The OTBC recorded song was pretty guff though...

[quote user="YellowIce"]Does everybody love the "on the ball city" chant - or des anyone find that embarrasing?[/quote]

Are you insane????

[quote user="All in Yellow"]

Do-in, do-in the canary,

[/quote]

Disagree. I actually happen to think that OTBC is a pretty poor football chant, the words are rubbish and it makes little sense. But at least it''s original, unlike a lot of clubs.

[quote user="All in Yellow"]

Do-in, do-in the canary,

[/quote]

Yep, got that as well, the canary rock n roll in on my cd with ''the canaries'' and the ''norwich city calypso''.

I like  to hear it sung in the game but find it embarrassing before the game with people on the pitch to start it off.

[quote user="cityangel"]

I like  to hear it sung in the game but find it embarrassing before the game with people on the pitch to start it off.

[/quote]

A pity it''s no longer sung but only chanted.

Anyone who was at White Hart Lane for the ''59 Semi will know what I mean. It made the hair stand up on the back of your neck when 25,000 people sang it.

[quote user="cityangel"] 

[/quote]Agreed CA, the whole thing beforethe match just seems a little forced. IMO it would be a lot better to get rid of that, and a lot of the pre-match music, then let the atmosphere grow gradually.

I know this is very sad, but for me the highlight of the season has been singing along to ''The Canaries'' pre match. I am not going to think about that statement too closely though.

[quote user="wycombe canary"]

Are you insane????

[/quote]

Are you Joking?! On the Ball City is the oldest recorded football song. Its a major part of our history, if you find it embarrasing why do you support Norwich!?

[quote user="south east canary"][quote user="wycombe canary"]

Are you insane????

[/quote]

Are you Joking?! On the Ball City is the oldest recorded football song. Its a major part of our history, if you find it embarrasing why do you support Norwich!?

[/quote]

Haha good point. I dont like our cheesy song - so i musn''t want whats best for the club then.

Made in 72 after the club won promotion to the top flight for the time ever in the 71/72 season!

Yes its awful and one you just wouldn''t play in normal circumstances but it kind of adds to the match build up and grows on you!

Very sorry to drag up old thread but I''m desperately trying to get this song on my phone! And can''t get the MySpace link to work and I don''t use itunes. Anyone out there able to help me?!!

i have that crap CD as well.. 2 copies in fact!

anyone want them??? you can have them for free... Pm me and i''ll bung em in the post to you.

jas :)

[quote user="city4eva"]From memory it was released in 73 by the squad..milk cup?/ promotion?..I cant remember. I think the backing band was Joss Aplin a local band...That may be totally wrong but I have it on 7" vinyl somewhere.[/quote]

Ahhhh the memories, the Milk Cup was won by Norwich in 1985.  I was just 16 at the time and remember it well.

Chris Woods, Steve Bruce, Peter Mendham, Paul Haylock, John Deehan and many more great players [:)]