Sign in to follow this  
 Green and Yellow

I've carried the attack for the last four years'

[quote user="The Great Escape. "]

[quote user="chicken"]I would like to say thank you to the Pink''Un for clearing this up.This quote has been taken out of context - you should all go and read the latest article in which is printed exactly what he said. I think you would find it hard to disagree with. Next time try including all of the words rather than just the ones you want everybody to hear just as the dodgier tabloids do.[/quote]

It was not some dodgy tabloid, as you state taking what I wanted to read, Huckerby was interviewed on radio Broadland and it went out on the news at 16.00hrs on Friday 1st Feb. It was direct from his own mouth  and was NOT taken out of context.

[/quote]It seems different to how you put it.... (from the pink''un article)“Let''s not try and be big-headed, but for the last four, four and a

half years, I''ve carried most of the Norwich City attack, not on my

own, but if you look at the stats I have probably created or scored

most of the goals,” said Huckerby.“I know I have had help from

very good players, but I''ve had a bit of responsibility for four and a

half years and now I haven''t got as much responsibility, so it is

difficult.“But I am a team player and I want the team to do well, so whatever it takes for the team to do well I will do.”
To me that sounds completely different to what everyone else is jabbering on about. What huckerby has said is 100% true. He has carried the attack with other players. 

HUCKS 5 YEARS SERVICE RESPECTED AND A LEGEND HOWEVER CAN BE TO OPINIONATED AT TIMES  SEEMS TO BE INJURED ALOT THIS YEAR AND PROBALLY OUR HIGHEST EARNER SO IN MY OPINION ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END !!!!

" He has carried the attack with other players. "yes, that does tend to fall within the renit of a striker

lord alone knows what the keeper will have to say about stopping shots

With or without the later clarification from the Pink''un, Hucks is right - he''s carried the attack for years and we''ve loved him for it.  Now it seems we have our new scapegoat for some people and it is the legend that is Hucks, the one man who got us promoted. I''m sorry Jas, but you''re wrong when you say we''d have gotten promoted without him - he may not have scored all the goals, but he set a good deal of them up and was our most prominent and dangerous player in our Prem season whilst other attackers like Leon and Matty struggled on occasion to find their form... all are important, including Iwan, Deano and Earnie, but Hucks has been the most consistent and has always been there trying when others have gone missing... a recent lack of form should not be mistaken for Hucks being the root of all our problems, as some seem to believe.  The man''s a legend in my eyes, so let''s lay off him, eh...?

if he thinks (and so do i) that he''s got two more years in him then lets get it on and give him the contract, its no more than he deserves

If anyone disagrees with what Huckerby says, then theyre clearly not watching games week in week out for the past 4 years. He has been an attacking tasilman and icon, defenses fear him, i feel sorry for the right back for the opposition if Huckerby is on the starting line up becuase we all know he will give them one mean time and will be required to do a heck of a lot of work to keep up with Hucks.

He has been an exceptional player for us, led our attack through thick and thin. All this talk of "the sooner he goes the better" - you say that now...we will notice a BIG difference in the attack end of the field when Huckerby is gone completely.

It''s just they way he used the word ''carried''. It''s a word normally used by a strong man amongst invalids. I can''t fault what he''s done for the club, and i''d be happy for him to stay. He has to realise however, that as he''s older and slower, if he''s gonna get a new deal, he''ll be on less money, and will be a less essential squad member next season. The difference between him and Dion is hucks'' game in mainly reliant on pace and agility, whereas dion has his clever footballing brain, and his height and stregnth still to offer for a much greater timespan

macdougall''s perm - It''s not arrogant, it''s simply the truth!!I disagree totally - it IS arrogant, and it''s wrong (apart from season 1, when he WAS the attack). He''s been on the pitch for almost all the no-shows, and it''s remarkable how the football''s improved since he''s been sidelined. I hate to be so brutal, but when a player speaks like this (and it''s not Huckerby''s first time) he deserves both barrels. It''s exactly why Roeder''s not playing him now - because he''s no team player.

Personnally I dont care what Hucks says I know that on the pitch he has been a wonderful servant to this club and has more than earnt his wages whatever they are! I feel lucky and priveleged to have seen him at his best and hope he stays with this club for many years to come.

I just hope Roeder keeps him in mind because he still has a role even if from the subs bench to turn the game for us.Given the right motivation he really can turn it on still as I am sure he will demonstrate given some more outings this season.

I''m not saying Huckerby is above criticism, I just cannot understand how people are getting on his back at the moment. At the start of the season he was openly against the sales of Safri, Eruhu and Earnshaw, I think it is hard to disagree. The same with his comments after the Wolves game. For whatever reason his performances this season haven''t been the best but still, Huckerby is a Norwich city legend, we''ll be lucky to see anyone even get close to the standard he achieved in the year we won the league.

[quote user="The Great Escape. "]

[quote user="chicken"]I would like to say thank you to the Pink''Un for clearing this up.This quote has been taken out of context - you should all go and read the latest article in which is printed exactly what he said. I think you would find it hard to disagree with. Next time try including all of the words rather than just the ones you want everybody to hear just as the dodgier tabloids do.[/quote]

It was not some dodgy tabloid, as you state taking what I wanted to read, Huckerby was interviewed on radio Broadland and it went out on the news at 16.00hrs on Friday 1st Feb. It was direct from his own mouth  and was NOT taken out of context.

[/quote]It was absolutely taken out of context.think about what that phrase, taken out of context, means. How can you possible say taking one point (not even a whole sentence) from an entire interview and posting that, without the rest of the interview (ie, posting it without it''s context) isn''t taking it out of context?

I thought I was the only one who seemed to realize Huckerby IS the team.  He is diplomatic without being politically correct, he plays hard no matter what the score, he is/was wanted by big clubs but rejected them to stay with l''il ole NCFC, he sets up most of our goals (the other ones he scores), and he is DAMNED GOOD! Why all the hard feelings for such an awesome talent, all the ''he''s done'' when he''s only 31, the complaining about his defending (he''s our attack, not out defense that gave up goals galore until Roeder showed up), and the preference for scrubs who wouldn''t last a day on any other team in this division with any other team?

The Norwich attitude seems to be to glorify scrubs who work hard, and resent the stars who work hard and actually produce and know it.  I''d take 11 Huckerbys over 11 Dohertys (should I be changing the ''y'' to ''i'' and adding ''es'' when I pluralize them?) (ha ha) ANY day of the week, especially Saturdaies!

As brilliant as Hucks may have been in attack over the past 4 years, he is one of those players (like Rob Earnshaw etc) who just doesn''t do defence. In the modern game this creates a huge problem. Poor Adam Drury has had to deal with the big hole behind Hucks for most of the last 4 years without complaining. In this regard Hucks is significantly lacking as a team player and his overall contribution has to be judged in this light too.

This is also the reason why he has never been able to really make it as a Prem player - just compare his defensive contribution with that of a Christiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Aaron Lennon  etc who are similarly spectacular attacking players - but suceeding in the top flight.

Hucks has been spectacular and effective in attack for us, but in truth he has been operating in a small pond.

It is good though that near the end of his career he gave so many of us so much excitement, pleasure and, yes, pride that he was our player.

Part of the pudding may well be the remainder of this season. What will be the level of his contribution and commitment as a potentially very important bit part player amongst so many newcomers and youngsters as we quietly seek to turn our season on it''s face with a late surge for the play-offs? The choice is yours Hucks. And you will be judged in part in the eating.

Time for a last spectacular hurrah? We hope so. Let''s see.

OTBC

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="sdldjl"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="The Great Escape. "]

''I''ve carried the attack for the last four years'''' Huckerby''s comment on local  radio this afternoon. Not misquoted direct from Huckerby himself.

He has been a fantastic player for NCFC, but with an arrogant comment like that the sooner he goes the better.

[/quote]

what an Arrogant comment! so Leon McKenzie, Matt svensson and Iwan Roberts contributed nothing over that time did they Darren? hate to say it but we''d of got promoted that season without you.

why come out and say somethign like that!!

jas :)

[/quote]

Im sorry but no we wouldnt have got promoted with out him

[/quote]

what about the games we won when he didnt play? remember it took us nearly month to sign him from Man city and we didnt lose a game in that time.. we also scored 4 against Derby without Hucks in the side... he was key to the campaign.. but i think we would of made it up without him...

[/quote]That''s a very simplistic look at it Jas.  I don''t think we would have made it up without him, look where we were before he came.  Without him joining I don''t beleive we would have gone to Portman Road in a position to be able to go top and that month you talk about would have been different too.When he signed, it was about the most exciting thing that had happened since beating Munich.  His signing on loan created a massive buzz around the club and we started winning and gaining confidence.  He took a mid table side to another dimension.As has been pointed out his comments have been taken well out of context and I just don''t understand why so many people want to turn on the best player we have had in such a long.  Especially a player who has actually brought some silverware home with him!

I admit he has been a superb player for us and should go in the all time hall of fame. He''s been a wonderful servent at the club, but this season he''s been nowhere near that mark. For one, he was the man who started off the dis-content in the dressing room. When a team is struggling you can''t just throw your toys out of the pram. Whether he was right or wrong doesn''t matter. We had a new team with quite a few young players and they look to players like hux and dubs for inspiration. I''m not saying it was his fault that we were down near the bottom but sure as hell he played his part in that, just like when we got promoted he played his part. Secondly, he has not started in the last 5 games. Roeder obviously feels that at the moment he has no place in the team. I have to agree. It''s all well and good when things are going well having hux charging down the wing but when things are going bad you need players who get stuck in and defend too.

Hucks comments are spot on as they generally have been during the last 2 years. Some may think its not the role of a player to do this but he has come out at key points and applied pressure to the board at times which have been very important to our club. He qwas spot on when he said about the team being the worst it has been since he was at the club. He was only saying what everyone else was thinking and it helped us get rid of the clueless manager that was taking us down to league1!

Hucks is an NCFC legend. I hope he plays a few games before now and the end of the season and then we give him and Dion a top notch send off. It is the right time for him to bow out and I think he will go an play in america for a couple of years.

A sign of the fact that Roeder is doing a good job is that we are no longer in the position where if Hucks doesn''t play we are screwed as have no attacking threat. For 3 or 4 years that wasn''t the case and in that respect what Hucks says is spot on.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]  I''d take 11 Huckerbys over 11 Dohertys (should I be changing the ''y'' to ''i'' and adding ''es'' when I pluralize them?) (ha ha) ANY day of the week, especially Saturdaies![/quote]11 individuals rather than a team of 11? It''s been tried, and doesn''t work. Roeder, who obviously loves to see skilful football, understands that you need to build a team. Let the results speak for themselves.

[quote user="top banana"]

During this time players like hughes lappin robinson brennan brellier stravhaka javis eagle mackenzie & brown have been brought or used to replace the quality of players

[/quote]

Call me pedanti0W2C but Brennan was signed the summer before Huckerby came!

as ive said on another thread do you hear any of the left backs shouting weve carried the left hand side defensive duties over the time hux has played, no you dont.

Are you suggesting Huckerby is not as team player, Old Boy? He drew far more fouls than anyone else in the division when we were in the Premiere.  Why is that?  Because he was the keystone to the team, so opponents knew to stop NCFC you had to stop Huckerby. He didn''t whine, roll around in fake pain, or ask for time off.  He just kept setting up scoring opportunities that usually went unanswered. That''s a team player.

As for letting the results speak for themselves, when Huckerby comes on the pitch as a sub, we often score soon after that, and you know the other team understands that it is ''lights out'' for them. I think they know they have a 1 goal advantage when they see Doherty starting. He makes the stupidest mistakes, usually at the worst times. Why he wasn''t red carded in Southampton, I don''t know but I''m sure the ref''s  family was released unharmed.

[quote user="baldyboy"]as ive said on another thread do you hear any of the left backs shouting weve carried the left hand side defensive duties over the time hux has played, no you dont.[/quote]

Actually, didn''t Simon Charlton say just this on the radio before the Preston game?

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Rather like the abuse you and Arthur Whittle get on this board - after carrying the attack upon the club for years.
[/quote]

Wrong again, having a go at the board is not attacking the club, it is complaining about their lack of financial support for the club.

The board consists of rich people. Their only purpose in life as far as I am concerned is to supply money again and again and again (until the poor dears are down to their last few million hopefully) so that we can have the best possible team.

Hucks was a genious when we (or he...) had the ball and a complete liability when we didn''t. That stops him being a legend to me - on balance, we''d have been better off over the last couple of seasons with a better all round team player playing left midfield.

Do believe he was the main force behind promotion though, along with Drury covering the entire left wing when we were defending.

Be nice to see a few cameos as sub over the rest of the season though but only with a good lead at the time......

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I think they know they have a 1 goal advantage when they see Doherty starting.[/quote]

The fact we''ve kept three clean sheets in a row and he''s often been one of our best players is presumably neither here nor there.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Rather like the abuse you and Arthur Whittle get on this board - after carrying the attack upon the club for years.
[/quote]

Wrong again, having a go at the board is not attacking the club, it is complaining about their lack of financial support for the club.

The board consists of rich people. Their only purpose in life as far as I am concerned is to supply money again and again and again (until the poor dears are down to their last few million hopefully) so that we can have the best possible team.

[/quote]

Don''t really need to add anything to that.

Must really enhance the esteem in which Norfolk people are held.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="The Great Escape. "]

[/quote]It seems different to how you put it.... (from the pink''un article)“Let''s not try and be big-headed, but for the last four, four and a

half years, I''ve carried most of the Norwich City attack, not on my

own, but if you look at the stats I have probably created or scored

most of the goals,” said Huckerby.“I know I have had help from

very good players, but I''ve had a bit of responsibility for four and a

half years and now I haven''t got as much responsibility, so it is

difficult.“But I am a team player and I want the team to do well, so whatever it takes for the team to do well I will do.”
To me that sounds completely different to what everyone else is jabbering on about. What huckerby has said is 100% true. He has carried the attack with other players. 

[/quote]

clearly hucks is not the same player this season because as we know he''s carrying a hip injury.  can''t be much fun to play though the pain barrier, while constantly being fouled and tripped (often in full flight) and landed heavily on the injury - ouch!  from his comments, its fair to say he''s feeling frustrated at not being fully fit, realising he''s playing below his normal standard and in doing so falling outa favour with the the manager.  can''t be easy for hucks to realise his talents are waining and he''s not the first name on the team sheet. i would suggest hucks is feeling a bit downhearted, and needs an arm around him from roedy - hucks is like saying -'' look what i''ve done for the club'' - but unfortunately we all know players can''t be picked for sentimental reasons, they have to perform.  and on that level, i have no problem with hucks asertion that he has carried the attack - for many years he has created goalscoring chances for others and weighed in with a useful amount himself.  remember his 5 goals last jan that helped keep city away from a horrible relegation scrap???hucks ability, commitment and contribution for NCFC over the past 4 years speaks for itself - i''ve no problem with the player - make no mistake!!! 

Yes, but Doherty did his best to make sure that Southampton scored. A hand ball yesterday had me wondering if this is his new way to screw up.

It''s guys like you, Humphrey, who picked Doherty as player of the year follwoing a season in which we gave up more goals than just about anyone else.  It''s such a Norwich fan thing to build up the scrubs and tear down the stars.  

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

It''s guys like you, Humphrey, who picked Doherty as player of the year follwoing a season in which we gave up more goals than just about anyone else.  It''s such a Norwich fan thing to build up the scrubs and tear down the stars.  

[/quote]

Do you mean 2005? I think you''ll find Huckerby won it that year. Doherty wasn''t even in the side from February onwards.

But you obviously don''t get to see many games so how the heck would you know anyway?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="The Great Escape. "]

''I''ve carried the attack for the last four years'''' Huckerby''s comment on local  radio this afternoon. Not misquoted direct from Huckerby himself.

He has been a fantastic player for NCFC, but with an arrogant comment like that the sooner he goes the better.

[/quote]

what an Arrogant comment! so Leon McKenzie, Matt svensson and Iwan Roberts contributed nothing over that time did they Darren? hate to say it but we''d of got promoted that season without you.

why come out and say somethign like that!!

[/quote]

hehehe... we probably did too Jas... [Y]

but he also said that he didn''t do it alone,so I think you should listen to it again he wants to play a couple more years and then watch Norwich play, seems there are those who like to stir it up, perhaps you should consider a job in the media