Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ben

Play Off Places still reachable?

If we were sitting in 9th place with 50 points and 9 poins of a play of place with 30 points to play for i would agree wouldnt you?

Well we have two games in hand and if we win both this is exactly the position we would be in, These two games are Derby at home (A 2-1 Win to us) and Burnly away (A 1-3 win to us) so i think we should start having some believe!

On the ball city!! (Dont let me down now or i will look like a complete idiot!)

Great Positive post....

But I think this season is over regarding the playoffs, unfortunatly.

However with the team now looking like they have turned the corner then next season maybe a completely different matter. IF we can keep the players, and if we have earnie as well who knows?

Lets hope I''m wrong regarding the play offs, as a Final at wembley? would be great!

Cheers all

Look we can all dream but this is all very unlikely.  Yes I hear you it does happen from time to time, but it would take an amazing run of results.  I think the best thing we can do is get as many points as possible between now and the end of the season and finish in the top half.  During the summer we can rebuild and go for the top two next season. 

I''m delighted we have picked up 3 points away from CR for the second game in a row.  Something I never thought would happen.  But this talk of play offs is ridiculous.  We may go on a run, but it has come too late.

[quote user="Archie"]you can''t rule it out but it is one hell of a long shot[/quote]

After two ''back to back'' away wins! We''ll be playing in the Champion''s league in two seasons!

The mouse is roaring! The worm has turned, everything is coming up roses after breaking through the concrete compost!....Hurrah!

We are gonna, BUY! BUY! BUY! during the close season, and make a real serious assault on the league - and win it at a canter........Yahoo!

I CAN FEEL IT IN MY BONES!.........Yipee!

I''m an amoeba, by the way.

Wow, a very positive post..

Unfortunately, you cant be a realist!

We still have to assure ourselves from relegation. The two wins were very important and im extremely pleased that we got 6 points. HOWEVER we must take note that 22nd position is still quite open, in comparison to the other two positions which i believe are reasonably sorted.

its possible, but very unlikely.  our defence would need to be watertight - doc would need to be back to top form, and interestingly enough grant praised his performance on Radio norfolk phone in last night.  If by this time next week, we have another couple of wins under our belts, we''d be closer to it still, but realistically, its too much of an ask.  i''d love to see city have promotion form for the last games of this season, to give us confidence for next season, but winning 10 from 12 is more like champions form.

Unbelievable post, most surprising some people actually give it credence.  Have you actually seen the forthcoming fixtures, apart from Ipswich every game is against higher clubs.  I guess when we get to the dizzy heights of 14th you will be bitterly disappointed.  Just be grateful the team is showing some fight at last.

Would love to see it happen - of course I would, every Norwich fan would... trouble is, I can''t see it happening... wouldn''t just require us picking up points at an unprecedented (this season) rate, but it would also need the play-off chasing pack to start dropping points immediately...Ah well, you never know... [:)]

Ben -Unfortuanetly if you also check the teams in 6th 7th 8th they have games in hand..

Love the positivity, and its not impossible.But very unlikely!

[quote user="pete"]Unbelievable post, most surprising some people actually give it credence.  Have you actually seen the forthcoming fixtures, apart from Ipswich every game is against higher clubs.  I guess when we get to the dizzy heights of 14th you will be bitterly disappointed.  Just be grateful the team is showing some fight at last.[/quote]

From the outset, I would suggest that in all likelihood we need to win 10 (possibly 11) of our remaining 12 games to get to the play-offs, so it is extremely unlikely.   But surely there is no harm in dreaming of such things, otherwise just what is the point in spending time, effort and money following a club and going to games?

It is the very fact that we need to play several sides in the play-off mix that actually gives this a little credence: the whole point is that if we were to do this unlikely feat, taking points from the sides above us would be what we need to do, there would be little point in us winning against lower sides when those above were also winning - if we are winning against them it closes the gap.

Whatever, our first thoughts have to be towards getting to 50/51 pts to stave off any lingering relegation fears - the earlier we get there the better, but you have to remember there are 8 clubs worse off than us at this point in time, that is 1/3 of the division.

What''s wrong with having this dream unless or until it it becomes a mathematical impossibility? Dreaming is what fans do! We would expect the management and players to aim for the very best possible at all times.

This time last week fans were being just as unrealistic predicting a final points total in the forties and relegation!

For those of you who still want to dream - I remember in season 81/82 we went on an amazing run from the second week in March where we won 12 and drew 1 of our next 14 games.

It''s unlikely but lets hope it is still possible when the last doom merchant accepts we are staying up [;)]

[quote user="Ben Jones"]

If we were sitting in 9th place with 50 points and 9 poins of a play of place with 30 points to play for i would agree wouldnt you?

Well we have two games in hand and if we win both this is exactly the position we would be in, These two games are Derby at home (A 2-1 Win to us) and Burnly away (A 1-3 win to us) so i think we should start having some believe!

On the ball city!! (Dont let me down now or i will look like a complete idiot!)

[/quote]

admire your positivity. it should always be encouraged.

however i think its important to take each game one at a time now. lets not get carried away. you are correct, though.

mathmatically its possible but we would have to win just about every game and the teams above us would have to lose just about every game. but stil we can look forward to next season when i think upon retaining earnie and signing marshall and shipping out the odd deadwood we will be up for the fight

In the realm of  Football Manager 2007, Pro Evo 6, and FIFA 2007 such things are possible. In the real world, they are not.

Play-offs are unlikely, but if we keep winning, not impossible. With things so close in the division most teams are trying to get three points and that plays into our hands as I believe we have the most on-form attack in the division. Derby will attack on Tuesday and I believe we will beat them.  Cardiff will attack on Saturday and again I strongly believe that we will beat them. We are building up momentum and we need to treat every game as a cup game, and I for one am looking forward to a very exciting run-in. 

Onwards and upwards !!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What''s wrong with having this dream unless or until it it becomes a mathematical impossibility? Dreaming is what fans do! We would expect the management and players to aim for the very best possible at all times.

This time last week fans were being just as unrealistic predicting a final points total in the forties and relegation!

For those of you who still want to dream - I remember in season 81/82 we went on an amazing run from the second week in March where we won 12 and drew 1 of our next 14 games.

It''s unlikely but lets hope it is still possible when the last doom merchant accepts we are staying up [;)]

[/quote]

Thought I had already admitted that I think we are staying up NUTTY  [:P]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Nutty - Can you remember who we played in the first game of that season, and what the score was (I can as I was there!!, and lets just say based on that particular performance promotion looked a very long shot)[/quote]

I was there on the first game of the run NUTTY refers to (I think)

Leicester @ Filbert Street and the score was either 4-1 or 4-2 to us...

Can NUTTY or yourself fil in the gaps from my hazy memory of that day?   I was only 8 or 9 years old and it was my first football match and first City game.

Well Cardiff are 7th Now with 59 points, 15 ahead of us. We have to games in hand of which if we win both plus win at cardiff next week we''ll only be 6 behind. It only takes a bad run of form by them, and one other side such as southampton who we can beat also meaning once our game in hand has been played we''re only 9 off them. That Means 6 and 9 poiints to make up from our remaining 10 games, 3 coming from the other afformenttioned, and all of a sudden we are in with a shout.

Please Note

This is a tonge in cheek post which i have attempted to make sound as serious as possible!!!

I didn''t remember SOB so I just looked it up. 4-1 defeat at Rotherham! I wasn''t there but for sure promotion looked a long shot! That really was a strange season! Promotion remained a long shot most of the time and we kept losing games before suddenly giving someone a pasting before losing games again. The division had a strange mix, from Newcastle and Chelsea to Wrexham and Cambridge. We ended up nicking 3rd place behind Luton and Watford, it would only have meant play offs these days.

Smudger, the first game of that run we beat Watford 4-2 being 1-2 at half-time. John Barnes scored for them and they had Luther Blissett who was prolific. The real catalyst was that we resigned Martin O''Neill from Man. City in the February. We went to Leicester towards the end of the run and won 4-1 and that result was massive because at the time Leicester were above us with games in hand as I remember.

Ricardo - maybe 10/12...... wet blankets are for putting out fires! [:P]

With 44 points from 34 games, 12 left, another 36 points available, that''s a maximum of 80 points.

You usually need circa 75 points to guarantee a play-off place.

Can anyone realistically see us dropping just 5 points in the next 12 games?

I think not, so, unfortunately, it''s a BIG NO from me.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I didn''t remember SOB so I just looked it up. 4-1 defeat at Rotherham! I wasn''t there but for sure promotion looked a long shot! That really was a strange season! Promotion remained a long shot most of the time and we kept losing games before suddenly giving someone a pasting before losing games again. The division had a strange mix, from Newcastle and Chelsea to Wrexham and Cambridge. We ended up nicking 3rd place behind Luton and Watford, it would only have meant play offs these days.

Smudger, the first game of that run we beat Watford 4-2 being 1-2 at half-time. John Barnes scored for them and they had Luther Blissett who was prolific. The real catalyst was that we resigned Martin O''Neill from Man. City in the February. We went to Leicester towards the end of the run and won 4-1 and that result was massive because at the time Leicester were above us with games in hand as I remember.

Ricardo - maybe 10/12...... wet blankets are for putting out fires! [:P]

[/quote]

No, realism.

We will be a lot more than 10 points off.

I see 6th as 75-80 points and us as 55 to 60 points