Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

McKenzie has handed in a transfer request

Lets just hope he isn''t going to rock to boat now.  He''s obviously discontent about having to sit on the bench at the start of the season, but I still see him as our 2nd Striker....unless he knows something we don''t and that it is imminent that another striker is coming on board.

Leon''s never going to be a 20 goals a season striker, but his hard work and assist do make up for this.

I wasnt expecting this. McKenzie has always been a favourite of mine, but now he has signalled that he wants to leave then perhaps it could be for the best. He deserves first team football which he doesnt always get here.

I suggest McKenzie + Cash for Eastwood or a different player.

How do you know this?

My thoughts?

Let him go to raise some more transfer cash. If we do sign another striker which is quite likely now, he will be 3rd or 4th choice when we are likely to be playing 1 up front alot of the time, especially away from home. He is probably worth 500k and would be a good signing for weaker championship sides. I have suggested we could offer him as bate as part exchange for eastwood. Perhaps 750k plus mckenzie plus a sell on fee would get him.

I would be sad to see him leave, but if he''s not happy here I fail to see the point in keeping him.

It might free up some funds/wages for a big man up front.

Same thing happened in our promotion season- Leon warmed the bench a lot so maybe he''s fed up. Personally I love Leon to bits but he is very similar to Earnie but with less skill so he is only going to be back up for him. If he realises good money then that plus the Green money should allow us to buy a quality forward when we go 4-4-2 with some height and body strength. As I posted in another thread, somebody like Rowan Vine who we saw on Saturday.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]I wasnt expecting this. McKenzie has always been a favourite of mine, but now he has signalled that he wants to leave then perhaps it could be for the best. He deserves first team football which he doesnt always get here.

I suggest McKenzie + Cash for Eastwood or a different player.[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from but isn''t also the case that after standing by Leon through a difficult last season where for one reason or another he didn''t perform, the club (we!!!!) could expect more gratitude and loyalty from him????  This does feel like a kick in the teeth in the circumstances.

Having said that, I don''t believe in keeping unhappy players and your plan is a good one Northern

I''m not sure that Worthy doesn''t see them as a partnership, it could just be that because we''re playing 3 central midfielders to win possession of the ball and feed it out to the wingers and on to Earnie, Leon has been squeezed for now.  At some point in the campaign we will have to revert to 4-4-2, due to injuries, the current formation not working against an opponent, whatever.  Leon obviously feels that he can get first team football elsewhere, and doesnt want to be a bit-part player until January which is understandable, and if that''s the case, it would make sense for him to find a first team place rather than being here against his will. 

So why has his request been rejected ?  And would this decision be reversed if a club came in for him ?

He is not that young and is never going to score enough goals, whether it be in this division or the prem. I think we should sell him and either get the big target man we so desperately need or give young Jarvis a go.

Shouldn''t really be surprised. If Leon can''t win a regular first team place now he probably never will. Must be hugely frustrating for him to see City play with only one striker at home.Plus Worthy made it clear he wants to find a strike partner for Earnie. And it isn''t Leon. Wonder who would bid for him and how much?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

I''m not sure that Worthy doesn''t see them as a partnership, it could just be that because we''re playing 3 central midfielders to win possession of the ball and feed it out to the wingers and on to Earnie, Leon has been squeezed for now.  At some point in the campaign we will have to revert to 4-4-2, due to injuries, the current formation not working against an opponent, whatever.  Leon obviously feels that he can get first team football elsewhere, and doesnt want to be a bit-part player until January which is understandable, and if that''s the case, it would make sense for him to find a first team place rather than being here against his will. 

So why has his request been rejected ?  And would this decision be reversed if a club came in for him ?

[/quote]

I guess its been rejected cos he is our 2nd choice striker.  As I see it we have played 4-5-1/4-3-3 all pre-season and in all games so far.  he isn''t going to get a game unless Erny is injured and he is 28 years old.  I don''t feel Worthy see''s him as a viable strike partner, otherwise why is their all this talk of a Target Man to play alongside Erny??  Plan A Rob Hulse and Plan B Steve Howard remember, then Plan D Geoff Horsfield.

Either way he aint getting in the team now, and should we sign a target man with the g\reeno cash he will be even further down the pecking order, even if we revert to 4-4-2.

I think a move for Leon would be the best thing for him and for Norwich - the money will help us and he will no doubt get first team football elsewhere, but I just don''t think he has a place here anymore. We have so many options up front, I''d have no objection keeping him here if he wanted to stay, but he doesn''t and there is no point holding onto a player who wants to leave, so why this has been rejected I have no idea.

That''s the thing though.  With a 4-5-1, if Earnie gets injured for a month or two, what do we do ?  Same with a 4-4-2 even with a new target man.

He should go now, and with our best wishes ringing in his ears. What we don''t want is an unhappy player who wants out from the club.

That just sets up a Francis MkII situation.

I have thought and commented in other threads that his head did not seem right. If he wishes to go then I do not see the point of keeping him. I would be sorry to see him go but it seems he needs a fresh challenge

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

That''s the thing though.  With a 4-5-1, if Earnie gets injured for a month or two, what do we do ?  Same with a 4-4-2 even with a new target man.

[/quote]

Totally mate, thats the problem I guess, we either keep the unhappy player in case Erny gets injured, or we sell and hope to replace him.  I don''t see anyone else in the club whom could fill a loan striker role at the moment apart from Leon and Erny.

I think this transfer request is poorly timed.  Norwich stood by McKenzie during all his injury and personal problems and far from repaying the club with hard work and commitment, he''s asked to jump ship when his automatic place has been threatened !

Having said that, I''ve never really thought he''s been good enough.  Yes, he''s popular with the crowd with all his little gestures, etc, but then how many times do we see him wondering off-side.  For example, I was at Palace for the drubbing last February and I was going spare shouting at him to get back behind the last defender !  Anyway, I digress ...

Personally I think we should let him go.  The problem comes with guaranteeing we can get someone better in to replace him in time.  If not, and the transfer window closes, we could find ourselves stuffed up front until January.  We can’t rely on Earnshaw alone.

However, I can''t see Worthy letting him go.  It''s Zema Abbey all over again ... a likable enough chap that just isn’t up to our high standards, and for some reason Worthy really rates him.

I think we should let him go, he''s never going to be first choice to partner Earnie and in my opinion isn''t a quite good enough for a championship side.

Hes has a great attitude, tries hard and gives his best so lets be fair to him and give him a chance elsewhere.

No point keeping someone who doesn''t want to play for us!!

Leons probly my favorite city player, and i really wouldn''t like to see him leave but i really dont see the point of keeping a player who does not want to be at the club. I now that he isn''t a great player technically but his work rate was phenominal and he put so much effort in. I will be really sorry to see the back of him. All the best leon (if he does go)

[quote user="beno27"]

REJECTED!

Worthington always was stupid.

[/quote]

Im not ashamed to say I don''t rate Mckenzie at all. For a striker he is pathectic infront of goal. I would like to see us bring in someone else in his place and have thought this way for a long time !

The only thing I would like to thank him for is scoring two goals 3 years a go ! that is all !

Juninho

[quote user="Mark Barham Appreciation Society"]

I think this transfer request is poorly timed.  Norwich stood by McKenzie during all his injury and personal problems and far from repaying the club with hard work and commitment, he''s asked to jump ship when his automatic place has been threatened !

[/quote]

I am not entirely sure that is true, rumours abounded around the time of the Clinton Morrison transfer saga that Mckenzie would have been on his way to help fund said deal.  This was around the time that Mckenzie had his personal problems and was playing poorly for the club.

If theres no point in keeping an unhappy Ashton theres certainly no point in keeping an unhappy McKenzie. Let him go and boost the coffers before his contract runs out and we get nothing for him.

if it means we bring in someone like kuqi, i won''t be too unhapy to see leon go, however he did play his part in the promotion season and scored a few crucial goals that gave us some hope of staying in the prem

I have to say that I think a lot of people are missing the point a bit by saying that Leon will only get to play if Earnie is injured. I think that we would be almost certain to revert to 4-4-2 if either Hux or Croft got injured and then Leon would be back in the side. The present 4-3-3/4-5-1 works because we''ve got genuine wingers on either side. If either Hux or Croft was out then I really don''t think there is anyone in our squad who could satisfactorily replace them, therefore back to 4-4-2.

Of course if we do sign another centre forward then the picture for Leon does change, but it could be that someone like Thorne, Jarvis or Henderson is the makeweight in any such deal.

mckenzies brightest form was during the backend of the prem season, but since then he hasn''t been the same for us - he could regain form, but at the moment i don''t see him as either an automatic partner for earnie or capable of scoring enough goals for us this season.  if he''s handed his transfer request in becuase he feels he should be picked as first choice to play alongside earnie in a 4-4-2 system, then i think he''s mistaken.if he''s handed his request in, because he feels he''s gone as far as he can with us, and wants a new challenge to rediscover his best form somewhere else, then imo we should wish him luck and let him go while he''s fit and raring to go to maximise his selling price.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

He should go now, and with our best wishes ringing in his ears. What we don''t want is an unhappy player who wants out from the club.

That just sets up a Francis MkII situation.

[/quote]

Your right Wiz ,   the last thing we want  is yet another player  who thinks he`s  too " big "  for the club !     there`s a welcome wind of change  blowing   through Carrow rd  at the mo ,  both in terms of team performance  , attitude  , and in  tactics ...   if the likes of McKenzie  thinks he  can demand  first team football  as a God given right  , he  should be sold to  a div 1 club , because  thats the level   for his " talent "  !!  [6]

WHAT?!

Sheded, i hope i haven''t misread that post but where does it say in any report that he thinks he ''deserves'' or ''has the right'' to first team football???????

All he has done is request a transfer, i don''t think he ''demanded'' a transfer.  It doesnt mean he thinks he is being poorly treated he merely accepts his opportunitites are limited and wants to be playing every week now he is fit again.  I dont think that is wrong, do you???

He may well be prolific again in Div 1 and may return there or he may do well at another champ club.  If he does then he made the right choice.  He needs to go now while he has a chance at his age to make an impact elsewhere.  Good luck to you Leon.

Matt