Satriales

Wagner to make wholesale changes against Brum?

If he plays Van Hooijdonk from the start I expect us to be slapped with a massive fine.

As long as Wagner doesn't do this I think we should be okay...................

In all seriousness I don't think he'll played a significantly changed team. Maybe a few early subs in the second half if we're confident that we've 100% made the play-offs.

It was a tongue in cheek OP on my part, I very much doubt he will changes for the starting XI. If things are going well for us, and at the Hull game then I imagine he will be making use of the subs bench. Who knows, we might see SVH for more then 2 minutes!

• Like 1

I think the change he may make, tactically to rest key players is Barnes in for Sarge. Can't see much else changing.

There are a few players who could do with the time - Rowe , Sorenson , Hanley , Fisher and SVH. 
Would he play them all from the start ? I doubt it .

I just think putting our first team out and then potentially losing to Birmingham could have a detrimental effect on playoffs , if the reserves lose it's not so bad .

8 minutes ago, nu_matik said:

I think the change he may make, tactically to rest key players is Barnes in for Sarge. Can't see much else changing.

That's assuming Barnes is fit!

6 minutes ago, Wimbledoncanary said:

There are a few players who could do with the time - Rowe , Sorenson , Hanley , Fisher and SVH. 

I just think putting our first team out and then potentially losing to Birmingham could have a detrimental effect on playoffs , if the reserves lose it's not so bad .

I’d play Sorensen at the back from the start, settled into a partnership with Gibson and looked better than Duffy or Batth!

Rowe needs game time for the playoffs and I’d go with VH as it appears Barnes might not be fit to play!

Maybe give Sainz a rest or at least tell him he absolutely must not do something silly and risk a red card.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wimbledoncanary said:

Wouldn’t want Fisher and Sydney to start against Dereham

Know we’ve seen little of Sid but looks more like a running back than a footballer

Definitely makes sense to give players a rest if any are carrying a knock - maybe give SvH a run out instead of Josh.

Rowe didn’t really look on it, so not sure whether that means he needs a bit more of a rest, or more minutes on the pitch?

Hopefully, unlike some commenters on here, Wagner won’t assume it’s all done and dusted and will play a sufficiently strong side to make sure we don’t get spanked by a Birmingham side who will be in our faces from the first second.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I’d play Sorensen at the back from the start, settled into a partnership with Gibson and looked better than Duffy or Batth!

Rowe needs game time for the playoffs and I’d go with VH as it appears Barnes might not be fit to play!

Yes - Strike a balance but very quick (first half) if necessary subs if it isn't working or news of Hull having a 'field ' day at the same time! 

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

Maybe give Sainz a rest or at least tell him he absolutely must not do something silly and risk a red card.

Pretty sure they have that written above his spot in the changing rooms at the best of times 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Pretty sure they have that written above his spot in the changing rooms at the best of times 

The enthusiasm remains, the temperament seems to have been reigned in. That sending off against 'Boro was a lesson well learnt.

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

That's assuming Barnes is fit!

I'd be surprised if he played any further part in our season, judging by the way he limped off.

Posted (edited)

We have to make sure we don't lose this game. For three reasons

First, it's obviously very unlikely that Hull will make up an eight-goal swing on us. But it's not impossible and the most likely way of it happening is if we put out a second-string or weakened side with instructions not to get injured. If we suddenly find ourselves 2-0 down to a Birmingham team desperate to win it will be very difficult to turn that around. And while a desperate Hull probably won't beat an on-the-beach Plymouth 5-0 or 6-0, why would we give them a sniff?

Second, were we to lose, we'd be going into the play-offs on the back of three games without a win. Let's go into them as the form team, with just one defeat (and that to Leicester) in our last nine.

Finally, while we're all hoping for a hilarious binner meltdown, the most likely outcome is that Leeds will finish third. If you think we're more likely to beat Leeds over two legs than Southampton, fair enough, but I don't. Fifth feels like a big advantage over sixth to me.

So.

I'd be playing a strong side, and telling them to go out and win the game. If things are going well after an hour, in our game and Hull's, sure, starting hauling players off.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
crossed out stupid comment about Plymouth, who are very much not on the beach
  • Like 5

There's a full week's rest before brum & 8 days between the final game and the first play off game;   beyond possibly giving pitch time to rowe and Barnes time to recover it will surely be the same core side?  Esp as we need to get a draw to ensure 6th?

A win also gives us a further rest day with the Sun Fri game as a reward for 5th.  Resting players are risking finishing 7th would be madness.

34 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

First, it's obviously very unlikely that Hull will make up an eight-goal swing on us. But it's not impossible and the most likely way of it happening is if we put out a second-string or weakened side with instructions not to get injured. If we suddenly find ourselves 2-0 down to a Birmingham team desperate to win it will be very difficult to turn that around. And while a desperate Hull probably won't beat an on-the-beach Plymouth 5-0 or 6-0, why would we give them a sniff?

Second, were we to lose, we'd be going into the play-offs on the back of three games without a win. Let's go into them as the form team, with just one defeat (and that to Leicester) in our last nine.

Finally, while we're all hoping for a hilarious binner meltdown, the most likely outcome is that Leeds will finish third. If you think we're more likely to beat Leeds over two legs than Southampton, fair enough, but I don't. Fifth feels like a big advantage over sixth to me.

So.

I'd be playing a strong side, and telling them to go out and win the game. If things are going well after an hour, in our game and Hull's, sure, starting hauling players off.

Yes but if (and its a big if) Coventry do play for pride and beat Ipswich midweek I'd then bet on Leeds for the autos.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

So.

I hardly think that Plymouth will be ‘on the beach’, have you seen the bottom of the championship? They’re 1 point above Birmingham!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ernie Wise said:

I hardly think that Plymouth will be ‘on the beach’, have you seen the bottom of the championship? They’re 1 point above Birmingham!

Exactly what I was thinking. They will be desperate to secure safety. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nu_matik said:

Barnes is injured. We are down to 1 fit striker if you ignore SVH, which Wagner normally does.

I would be worried if Sarge starts.

Rowe needs minutes too.

1 hour ago, Ernie Wise said:

1 hour ago, Mutley said:

Exactly what I was thinking. They will be desperate to secure safety. 

Thanks both. Hadn't realised they were in such trouble.

13 hours ago, Satriales said:

I wouldn't even take him. Can you imagine him on the pitch at the end gesturing at the Brum fans? It's funny at Ipswich but not at Birmingham. 

17 minutes ago, Wimbledoncanary said:

Anyone for George Long starting 😉😉😉

... waiting for the positive comments

See how the first half goes in our game and Hulls. If hull need to win the second half by an 8 goal swing, Wagner should use the bench. 

• Like 1

The OP clearly tongue in cheek.  If things are going to plan, clearly there will be plenty of subs in the 2nd half.

The only real question for me is do you start SVH with Sarg on the bench, to safeguard Sarg and give SVH a chance to actually show something of himself.  If we go behind you could then bring on Sarg at some stage as a sub.

But SVH seems to have been totally sidelined so I wouldn't be surprised if he's stuck on the bench.  OK he hasn't really shown anything but then he's had very little chance to do so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

The OP clearly tongue in cheek.  If things are going to plan, clearly there will be plenty of subs in the 2nd half.

The only real question for me is do you start SVH with Sarg on the bench, to safeguard Sarg and give SVH a chance to actually show something of himself.  If we go behind you could then bring on Sarg at some stage as a sub.

But SVH seems to have been totally sidelined so I wouldn't be surprised if he's stuck on the bench.  OK he hasn't really shown anything but then he's had very little chance to do so.

I think it summed up what Wagner thinks of SVH last game when Barnes came off and got replaced by a non striker.