cambridgeshire canary

Should McLean have won player of the season?

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you ask nicely..

Please, please Cambridge will you refrain from starting pointless/clickbait threads when there's really nothing to talk about. 

There you go - I've asked you really nicely................ 😉 

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Please, please Cambridge will you refrain from starting pointless/clickbait threads when there's really nothing to talk about. 

There you go - I've asked you really nicely................ 😉 

Pointless? Pointless?!

I'll think about it 😉

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pointless? Pointless?!

I'll think about it 😉

Ignore the deplorers Cambridge. 

I recall the wise words of Plato at times like this:

"And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off (hoo-hoo-hoo)"

Post away Cambridge, post away.

OTBC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kenny won it. I can't change that.

The bigger question is, should we get promoted, would you still have him as first choice for a midfield position in the EPL. That's a big NO from me! 

PS: if we did get promoted and didn't buy in a dominating CB I could just about live with Kenny at LCB. 

I’ll say this, it feels like a bit of a “pity vote”, a gold watch and a pat on the back for all his hard work rather than a sort of “stand out” player of the season vote

This ridiculous and unnecessary thread is racing towards page 3 already. Bravo to Cambridge I say, there’s more interest in this beauty than yesterday’s live match thread. 

If only Sara could assist and score, I think that’s what cost him at the end of the day. 

Yet again, those that don’t go to FCR or Away games slating McClean as seen from their radios.

Keep up the negativity and all our players will want out at the end of the season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Struggling to see the point of this thread. 

It only enhances your reputation for prolific click-baiting thread starts.

Probably worth giving it a rest for a bit until something worth posting happens.

The point is to boost CCs ridiculous post count 🤣🤣

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Half the people on here don't like me anyway so I might as well go all out got nothing to lose in doing so😂

Don't do yourself down.

It's at least 75%.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Rowe has been in plenty of games where he's been inconspicuous.

There were a few games in December when I wish had only been inconspicuous.  I was at the West Brom game, and he definitely looked like he was desperately trying not to get injured.  

There may have been a few games when Kenny wasn't on top form, but I've never seen him give less than his all.  And that's why I voted for him.  There are a few who have been better then him for more games, and he may not get the headlines, but he bleeds yellow and green.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Player of the season should be about the long haul. Flair is important, but so is hard graft; Kenny's effective, versatile, and he's a proper grafter and leader, which is why he won and why he deserved to win.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hey, I've never been afraid to say unpopular takes. Half the people on here don't like me anyway so I might as well go all out got nothing to lose in doing so 😂

How do the other half feel

35 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Sara is a much better player than McLean

In some aspects but not all. He could become a better all round player than McLean, but he's not there yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Sara is a much better player than McLean

It’s about a whole season. Unless I am mistaken there were constant posts on here telling us that Sara was yet another Webber bad signing. Sara might be a better player than all of the rest of the team, but a very high % of those that attended games decided that McClean was our most important and consistent player, and after some of the abuse he has suffered over the last few seasons, that is quite a remarkable result.

Well done Kenny and let’s hope you lift one more trophy this year the ‘ Championship Playoff Champions trophy 2024 ‘.

The thing many forget about Kenny is what he cost us to buy...and how many decent games we've had for that.

People define POTS differently.

This time feels like one that appears more of a 'lifetime achievement award,' similar to when Craig Fleming won it.

McLean has been good this year but if you asked me who the best player has been this season I'd say it (quite obviously) the guy who, often from a deep lying midfield role, has scored 13, assisted 12 and has created more than 3 times as many chances as the next highest player in the team. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chicken said:

In some aspects but not all. He could become a better all round player than McLean, but he's not there yet.

Goals and assists are certainly better

The guy was robbed last season a better result would have been Kenny last season and Sara this season. As Sara although very good in spells last season only hit his stride half way through the season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chicken said:

If you asked 24 managers in this league if they would rather have Sara or McLean in their team I'd wager they'd all take Sara, because his skillset is hugely difficult to find at this level.

That isn't a knock on McLean because he's a very decent Championship midfielder but Sara is clearly too good for this level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

If you asked 24 managers in this league if they would rather have Sara or McLean in their team I'd wager they'd all take Sara, because his skillset is hugely difficult to find at this level.

That isn't a knock on McLean because he's a very decent Championship midfielder but Sara is clearly too good for this level.

This isn't the same question as who is pots though.

Sara is a more capable player in terms of creating and scoring goals. Goals and assists tend to mean more valuable in terms of price too.

But you need players that allow those players to get forward and are better at the side of the game that they won't be doing so much of.

Historically, I would say that Norwich fans have generally been good at rewarding players that are the unsung heroes as well as the more obvious (Huckerby etc).

I think it says a lot that Farke was interested in taking him to Leeds.

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

This isn't the same question as who is pots though.

Sara is a more capable player in terms of creating and scoring goals. Goals and assists tend to mean more valuable in terms of price too.

But you need players that allow those players to get forward and are better at the side of the game that they won't be doing so much of.

Historically, I would say that Norwich fans have generally been good at rewarding players that are the unsung heroes as well as the more obvious (Huckerby etc).

I think it says a lot that Farke was interested in taking him to Leeds.

No but you claimed he's not a better 'all round player' than Sara. Which is a bit silly in my view. Each to their own though.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

No but you claimed he's not a better 'all round player' than Sara. Which is a bit silly in my view. Each to their own though.

Sara is certainly better going forward than McClean, no argument, hands down better. In that area he is one of the best, if not the best in the league.

They are very different players though. Kenny can slot into LB and CB, and has done, with relative ease. Something that I suspect Sara would struggle to do as effectively.

However, what Sara posses in what he is good at, is so good you wouldn't want him to be in those positions.

McClean is an 'all rounder', where he excels is vision, reading of the game and positioning. Those in of themselves are not massively valuable assets but it's undeniable that he has a good range of passing, a great understanding of positional roles and is the sort of player who binds a team together.

He's not better than Sara at what Sara does best, but he's better in a lot of other ways than Sara currently is. That's not to say he won't be, because it's likely he will.

6 hours ago, king canary said:

People define POTS differently.

This time feels like one that appears more of a 'lifetime achievement award,' similar to when Craig Fleming won it.

McLean has been good this year but if you asked me who the best player has been this season I'd say it (quite obviously) the guy who, often from a deep lying midfield role, has scored 13, assisted 12 and has created more than 3 times as many chances as the next highest player in the team. 

💯🎯🇧🇷

On 28/04/2024 at 09:57, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didn't exactly light the place on fire yesterday.. Get the feeling this is going to be a controversial one 😂

Would like to say that if you look at the season as a whole, then yes he probably does. I myself at the time said he deserved it. The sheer commitment, his new role as captain that he's taken too and doing well as.. But it does feel like an odd one.

Yes 

next