Posted (edited)

Called up this morning to switch my seat from South Stand to the standing section. They had nothing together apart from front row and just a handful of single seats. 

Does this mean that nobody is moving out and therefore people will still be moaning when people stand in block A and atmosphere will remain the same?

Edited by PaulineFowler

Perhaps they need to do the River End as well? 

I moved seat this season because a complete **** head kept standing in front of me. That's upstairs in the River End where most people are too knackered to stand after walking up the stairs.

Don't bother complaining, Norwich City won't do anything about it. 

Have they contacted everyone in the lower Barclay to say it’s safe standing next season ?

9 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Have they contacted everyone in the lower Barclay to say it’s safe standing next season ?

Yes - when we got the email about season ticket renewals early in the year.

I've lost track with this a bit...

So, is it gonna be in place for next season and, is there going to be a fold down seat arrangement in the safe standing space? So you can still choose to sit if you want...

And/or is it the case that there is seats, but they will be bolted upright on match days, and rendered unusable, or is there no seat in place at all...

12 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

So, is it gonna be in place for next season and, is there going to be a fold down seat arrangement in the safe standing space? So you can still choose to sit if you want...

And/or is it the case that there is seats, but they will be bolted upright on match days, and rendered unusable, or is there no seat in place at all...

I'm pretty sure current regs in the UK do not allow for locks, so there will be a seat but doubt it will be very comfortable and obviously of not much use if everyone else is standing.

10 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

The work is happening during the summer ready for the start of next season.  It will be all of the Lower Barclay, Snakepit and some of the away end (maybe the small section above the tunnel?).  I believe it will be the RailSeat Ultra, more details here: https://www.fercoseating.com/products/sports/safe-standing/railseat-ultra.

Whilst in Europe it's common to lock the seat part closed, that's not currently legal in a UK all seater stadium, so the seat part will always be available for use.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Why would you choose to sit in a designated standing area?

• Like 1

The work has already started. There were new holes drilled last week. I couldn't work out from them what it's going to be like. There's been very little communication about it. 

4 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I like a sit down at half time!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

It would be dangerous to nod off standing up.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

It was just a question...

Yes, but an ambiguous one!

And still without clarification....

47 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Don't underestimate how obstinate some people can be.

12 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What would be the point of locking the seat on the rail? If someone does sit down for whatever reason, they won't be spoiling anyone's view.

To stop people standing on them.  Standing was initially permitted in the likes of Germany for domestic football, but not European matches.  So the seats would be locked out of use most of the time, but released for the Champions League, etc. where people were expected to sit.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What would be the point of locking the seat on the rail? If someone does sit down for whatever reason, they won't be spoiling anyone's view.

They lock them in Europe as in Germany (for example) they allow for 1.5 people per 'seat' when they are locked in place, they only get unlocked for European games where regulations state it must be 1 for 1.  In the UK it's 1 for 1.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt Juler said:

To stop people standing on them.  Standing was initially permitted in the likes of Germany for domestic football, but not European matches.  So the seats would be locked out of use most of the time, but released for the Champions League, etc. where people were expected to sit.

That's a really good point. That could be a problem without locks.

2 hours ago, PaulineFowler said:

Called up this morning to switch my seat from South Stand to the standing section. They had nothing together apart from front row and just a handful of single seats. 

Does this mean that nobody is moving out and therefore people will still be moaning when people stand in block A and atmosphere will remain the same?

Sometimes you can get two singles, set apart, but in the same row.

You then just ask the fans in-between if they can budge-up one place, so you can be together.

While I'm here, did your family ever pay back the Christmas club money that Arthur stole?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PaulineFowler said:

I can't imagine many will move out of the Lower Barclay as they stand anyway, plus if you (sit) with other people you're hardly likely to get seats together elsewhere in the ground.

It seems a bit of a pointless exercise really but we shall see.

4 hours ago, PaulineFowler said:

There are probably people in Lower Barclay who would like to move if decent seats were available elsewhere. We enquired about moving to upper Barclay, but the only two together were in the back row in the corner. It doesn't seem the club are going to try and coordinate any kind of swap scheme.

One thing to also bear in mind is where it runs to in the Snake pit. It runs from the wall to the Barclay, round to seat 216 I believe. So half a row will be safe standing, the other half will be seated and potentially a metal bar next to the person in seat 215!

8 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

They lock them in Europe as in Germany (for example) they allow for 1.5 people per 'seat' when they are locked in place, they only get unlocked for European games where regulations state it must be 1 for 1.  In the UK it's 1 for 1.

I’d wager (hope) that in a few years once it’s become the norm then we could move to 1.5 people per seat the same as the Germans. The current 1 to 1 ratio is just a first step 

Back of Barclay Block E, its currently about 2:1 before half time and then shedloads:0 in the second half when the yoof stand all over the gangway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And then they brook the bleedern drum dint thee. 🥁 

15 hours ago, The Raptor said:

The work has already started. There were new holes drilled last week. I couldn't work out from them what it's going to be like. There's been very little communication about it. 

Everyone with a season ticket in the lower Barclay had communication

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I’d wager (hope) that in a few years once it’s become the norm then we could move to 1.5 people per seat the same as the Germans. The current 1 to 1 ratio is just a first step 

Be hard pushed to fit 1.5 per seat in the Barclay , there is very little room when standing

17 hours ago, PaulineFowler said:

Have you been calling regularly?  I have moved out of the lower Barclay but it took me a few phone calls starting weeks ago to be able to get 2 together in the upper  barclay 

12 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I can't imagine many will move out of the Lower Barclay as they stand anyway, plus if you (sit) with other people you're hardly likely to get seats together elsewhere in the ground.

It seems a bit of a pointless exercise really but we shall see.

It is designated as a railed seating area rather than simply a standing area. This basically means the current seats will stay in place and we will have a rail in front of us. The point of doing it is that in non railed areas people are supposed to sit, but this is widely ignored in sections of grounds around the country( remember the days when stewards would walk up the steps trying to get everybody to sit. They’d get about half way and then have to start again). Having a rail is a way of preventing people from tumbling forward and means that legally people can stand. It’s being introduced so that the club complies with the letter of the law and protects itself and it’s fans from any future attempts at forcing people to sit in non railed areas.