27 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Be hard pushed to fit 1.5 per seat in the Barclay , there is very little room when standing

If they can manage it in Germany with the same seating system I don’t see why we can’t do the same in England 

19 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It is designated as a railed seating area rather than simply a standing area. This basically means the current seats will stay in place and we will have a rail in front of us. The point of doing it is that in non railed areas people are supposed to sit, but this is widely ignored in sections of grounds around the country( remember the days when stewards would walk up the steps trying to get everybody to sit. They’d get about half way and then have to start again). Having a rail is a way of preventing people from tumbling forward and means that legally people can stand. It’s being introduced so that the club complies with the letter of the law and protects itself and it’s fans from any future attempts at forcing people to sit in non railed areas.

Will the seats not be changed to the rail seating seen in Germany? 

35 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If they can manage it in Germany with the same seating system I don’t see why we can’t do the same in England 

It’s against the law currently

34 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Will the seats not be changed to the rail seating seen in Germany? 

Not at the moment. That would raise the cost considerably.

30 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s against the law currently

I know currently, my point was that once the authorities are happy with 1:1, surely it would make sense to move to 3:2 as they are on the continent to allow clubs to improve capacity 

32 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I thought the design was the rail in front of you also had the seat built into it? 

I never quite understood the 1:1 ruling for safe standing and thought it over-cautious.

'Elf and safety gone mad?

Perhaps there is a valid reason, bur how will it improve the atmosphere?

I've swayed with the best of them in my time and got quite adept at standing my ground as did most and wouldn't advocate a return to that, but 1:1?

8 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I never quite understood the 1:1 ruling for safe standing and thought it over-cautious.

'Elf and safety gone mad?

Perhaps there is a valid reason, bur how will it improve the atmosphere?

I've swayed with the best of them in my time and got quite adept at standing my ground as did most and wouldn't advocate a return to that, but 1:1?

I think it’s just a first step to appease those still arguing against it. Give it a couple of seasons and the campaign will start to move to 3:2 

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Is that true?  My understanding is that the rail seats will be installed, leaving the current seats in place is inherently more dangerous with just a rail added. 

8 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Is that true?  My understanding is that the rail seats will be installed, leaving the current seats in place is inherently more dangerous with just a rail added. 

I agree, I’d have thought the legislation would require actual rail seating rather than just a handrail. It can be tight walking between the seats now, put a rail there and people will struggle to get past each other 

I think that after the first game next season we will see an extremely long thread on here discussing the merits and non merits of the work being carried out. That will of course reveal the structural engineers and safety certificate posters.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That will of course reveal the structural engineers and safety certificate posters.

Will they turn out to be the same people who are also financial experts and graphic design gurus? Amazing we have so much expertise on here 😉

• Haha 1

Us going to Birmingham will get to see first hand what it will be like.  We’re in the safe standing area (or at least I am).

As far as I'm aware, the club are installing the full RailSeat Ultra, not doing some half baked modification that includes the existing seats.

On 24/04/2024 at 14:27, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I've lost track with this a bit...

So, is it gonna be in place for next season and, is there going to be a fold down seat arrangement in the safe standing space? So you can still choose to sit if you want...

And/or is it the case that there is seats, but they will be bolted upright on match days, and rendered unusable, or is there no seat in place at all...

You will still have a seat/seat number. You can still sit in the safe standing area if you wish but your view will be impaired.

We have taken the view that we will give safe standing a try, on the basis you can still sit down at half time and , before the game starts...........

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

As far as I'm aware, the club are installing the full RailSeat Ultra, not doing some half baked modification that includes the existing seats.

Sounds expensive, is there a grant?

I very much doubt the current seats will be integrated into the new safe standing rail system.

Somebody's posted earlier in the thread the type of rail system we will be getting.

8 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

Us going to Birmingham will get to see first hand what it will be like.  We’re in the safe standing area (or at least I am).

There were signs in the concourse at the away end at Liverpool this year saying that we were in the safe standing area but I can’t say that I noticed if they were rail seats or not.

On 25/04/2024 at 09:43, TIL 1010 said:

I think that after the first game next season we will see an extremely long thread on here discussing the merits and non merits of the work being carried out. That will of course reveal the structural engineers and safety certificate posters.

The Guild of Fag Packet Engineers?

18 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

We’ve been in the section of rail seating at Cardiff this season as well.

12 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You will still have a seat/seat number. You can still sit in the safe standing area if you wish but your view will be impaired.

We have taken the view that we will give safe standing a try, on the basis you can still sit down at half time and , before the game starts...........

Have you confirmed this? I thought the seats were locked shut when it was in a standing configuration...

8 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Have you confirmed this? I thought the seats were locked shut when it was in a standing configuration...

It was confirmed by the club in the season ticket renewal email

Supporters who choose to sit will not have their view impaired by the rail but we anticipate many supporters will chooseSupporters who choose to sit will not have their view impaired by the rail but we anticipate many supporters will choose to stand, which will impact their viewing experience. to stand, which will impact their viewing experience.

• Thanks 1

Brentford are going down that route of just adding barriers, however we have contracted Ferco and as far as I'm aware they only offer a rail seating solution. The wording above could just be stating that a physical seat will still be available, just not the same one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

No, as has been pointed out earlier in the thread this is illegal!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

There were signs in the concourse at the away end at Liverpool this year saying that we were in the safe standing area but I can’t say that I noticed if they were rail seats or not.

They weren't rail seats - they were real seats.  Wondered why the rails were there.  Good spot.

Edited by Bobzilla

13 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Taken form the NCFC Website in answer to "Can I still sit in the Lower Barclay and Thorpe Corner (Snake Pit)?

Yes, you will be able to sit in these areas as we are not removing the seats. However, as this is now a safe standing area, we expect the majority of supporters will stand to watch the game. If you choose to stay in these areas and need / want to sit, your view will be severely impaired by supporters standing; we recommend that you move your season ticket to another area of the stadium where standing is not permitted.

On 24/04/2024 at 15:33, Matt Juler said:

To stop people standing on them.  Standing was initially permitted in the likes of Germany for domestic football, but not European matches.  So the seats would be locked out of use most of the time, but released for the Champions League, etc. where people were expected to sit.

They actually have a significantly increased capacity when the seats are locked up. 

Won't be permitted in the UK at this stage, but will hopefully come down the line and mean that this is all a cheap way to increase our capacity.

So, is it a poorly worded statement from the club, and old seats are being removed, and replaced with rail seating...

Or

Are the cheapskates just keeping the seats as they are and just 'allowing' you to stand in that space with no rail involved...

There will definitely be a rail installed as tats what is required for safe standing surely.

Also, as anyone who currently “sits” in the Barclay will have noticed over the past couple of games, the new holes have been drilled in preparation.

• Like 1