Yeah, clearly offside. At the other end, Bristol City also had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside. I’d be fuming if I was one of their fans.

We were incredibly lucky to get a point.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I thought that, but there was only a timid appeal from the Brizzle players. I have yet to see a replay showing whether Sargent's pass was backwards, so I assumed it must have been, as it was a blatant off-side otherwise.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Just watched it again as I thought the ball was played level, but it wasn't so Sainz was definitely offside, got away with one there.

Yeah - was going to start a thread saying exactly the same thing - he was offside. Actually a poor piece of play by Sainz not to hold his run, but luckily he got away with it.

Goes some way to making up for the two appalling offside decisions we've been on the wrong end of against Southampton this season and the clearly offside Millwall goal that we lost to at their place. 

• Like 2

Yes looked it but take the point.

Just watching Forest v Everton, two absolutely clear penalties not given to forest! Can’t believe the soft penalty awarded to top teams yet others don’t get a sniff even with VAR. so as above take the rough with the smooth!

57 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I thought that, but there was only a timid appeal from the Brizzle players. I have yet to see a replay showing whether Sargent's pass was backwards, so I assumed it must have been, as it was a blatant off-side otherwise.

The pass going backwards is irrelevant, it's simply that the linesman didn't give it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do wonder why so many seem to try to find something to worry about…whenever we win it’s always ’oh, but they created so many chances’, this time it’s ’oh, but our goal was offside’. It wasn’t. If Leicester’s goal against us earlier this season was onside, so was this one.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Things tend to even themselves over the course of the season.

It looked offside and a huge benefit to us in a game we could well have lost otherwise. This is why I don't tend to go overboard when decisions go against us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

It looked offside and a huge benefit to us in a game we could well have lost otherwise. This is why I don't tend to go overboard when decisions go against us.

yeah, far rather that than interminable replays on VAR. You take the rough with the smooth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

yeah, far rather that than interminable replays on VAR. You take the rough with the smooth.

I'd take VAR if it was honestly implemented with sensible rules, but we're a long way from that, sadly.

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I do wonder why so many seem to try to find something to worry about…whenever we win it’s always ’oh, but they created so many chances’, this time it’s ’oh, but our goal was offside’. It wasn’t. If Leicester’s goal against us earlier this season was onside, so was this one.

Weird interpretation. How is pointing out that we benefited from an incorrect decision “finding something to worry about”. I think the general feeling is relief.

10 hours ago, essex canary said:

The irony is many of our fans were moaning about the ref. 

Sod all to do with the ref. The lino was yards behind play which basically earned him an assist.

How could the ref have given it? This isn’t Cloverhill U11s 🙄

16 hours ago, essex canary said:

The irony is many of our fans were moaning about the ref. 

nope, the real irony is you blaming someone other than ZW.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Sod all to do with the ref. The lino was yards behind play which basically earned him an assist.

How could the ref have given it? This isn’t Cloverhill U11s 🙄

Fair enough but the overall point is that on this occasion at least poor quality officiating worked in our favour on the critical issues.

7 hours ago, The Bunny said:

Weird interpretation. How is pointing out that we benefited from an incorrect decision “finding something to worry about”. I think the general feeling is relief.

We didn’t, that is the point. As I said, some people - you clearly included - seem to have to come up with ‘oh, but…’ comments as if to excuse us from getting a result.  It is weird.  It was not offside. End of.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We didn’t, that is the point. As I said, some people - you clearly included - seem to have to come up with ‘oh, but…’ comments as if to excuse us from getting a result.  It is weird.  It was not offside. End of.

If you freeze it at the point it leaves Sarge's boot, it's very, very close. If there's any doubt, the assistant should give the advantage to the attacking team. So fair enough in my eyes.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Fair enough but the overall point is that on this occasion at least poor quality officiating worked in our favour on the critical issues.

No, it didn’t. That just isn’t correct, plain and simple.  Our goal was onside*, their ‘second’ didn’t make it to the highlights so I can’t say, but the flag was up well before the shot was made and it is simply irrelevant.

*At the time I thought it was onside, the linesman and ref said it was onside, and the goal stands.  It was onside. Why are some so determined that it wasn’t?

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If you freeze it at the point it leaves Sarge's boot, it's very, very close. If there's any doubt, the assistant should give the advantage to the attacking team. So fair enough in my eyes.

On looking at it again I agree. The ball is ahead of Sargent as he plays it which may be the crucial issue in Sainz being onside. If in the PL we would still be on tenterhooks for the dreaded lines.

All Bristol fans would call it offside, most neutrals would too and Norwich fans are 50/50. No bias calling on this rule I see. 

I think the lino was miles behind play too, so he'd have been completely guessing which has definitely helped us in this situation.

• Like 1

I don't know, it looks pretty level to me... We had another similar goal a couple weeks back that looked as suspicious if I'm not mistaken?image.thumb.png.daf2ff3ceb7bedb50a1e855ea37b071d.png

• Like 1