How was he for his 20.min cameo? Took it steady I hope ready for the remainder of the season 😊

• Like 1

Looked fully up to it. Little change from old. Probably needs some nursing though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Forced a couple of corners within his first few minutes, strong going into tackles. I don’t want to tempt fate but he looks like he’s already close to being back to what we were seeing - and loving - earlier in the season.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He had a very positive effect. But the only way I can see him starting is if we leave out Barnes 

And that’s not really a hard choice is it? Given his form, scoring and chances Rowe creates.

• Like 1

Rowe is the second(?) highest scorer so he has to play as much as possible. I'd rather drop Gibson and put back McLean for his range of long passes for the cavalry to run onto. 

Can you imagine the opposition trying to mark our front runners, esp Rowe, in that scenario? I confidently predict a red card for a Bristol player in the first half if we unleash a full attack.

Feel very strongly he should stay on the bench for now. 

If you leave out Barnes for him, then Sara has to play as the ten, where he's far less effective. He's been a revelation in that position coming in from the right. 

Also, the Barnes-Sargent combination works really well, not least in their defensive pressing. Obviously you'd like Barnes to score more, but with Sainz, Sargent and Sara we have plenty of goals in the team. 

In the first half of the season Rowe was outstanding, but he often lasted little more than an hour. Given his explosive style,  and the fact he's coming back from injury, he seems the ideal impact sub, exactly what we've been missing. 

Really excited to have him back, but feel he can make the biggest impact in these last few games exactly as he did yesterday, coming on to terrorise a tiring team. 

• Like 12

I think may forget the impact Barnes has on Sargent's game. Sargent is 10x more effective playing alongside a target man rather than being the sole target made himself. As pointed above, it also supplements Sara's game. 

Tough one though as Barnes first touch is poor and whilst good enough for our current position, if we want to progress we need to replace him with better. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bovril said:

I think may forget the impact Barnes has on Sargent's game. Sargent is 10x more effective playing alongside a target man rather than being the sole target made himself. As pointed above, it also supplements Sara's game. 

Tough one though as Barnes first touch is poor and whilst good enough for our current position, if we want to progress we need to replace him with better. 

I thought Barnes was one of the few players to be below his usual standard yesterday. Gunn was another. Not slagging them off, we all have better and worse days at the office. Fortunately, most of the other guys decided to be above usual standard yesterday.

You're right, Barnes does works well in his current role with Sargent.  I think this board is almost unanimous, though, that he shouldn't play solo striker. If Sargent gets injured, we definitely need a different option, although I've no idea who could supply it. 

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If you leave out Barnes for him, then Sara has to play as the ten, where he's far less effective. He's been a revelation in that position coming in from the right. 

Also, the Barnes-Sargent combination works really well, not least in their defensive pressing. Obviously you'd like Barnes to score more, but with Sainz, Sargent and Sara we have plenty of goals in the team. 

In the first half of the season Rowe was outstanding, but he often lasted little more than an hour. Given his explosive style,  and the fact he's coming back from injury, he seems the ideal impact sub, exactly what we've been missing. 

Really excited to have him back, but feel he can make the biggest impact in these last few games exactly as he did yesterday, coming on to terrorise a tiring team. 

This is the problem isn’t it. We now have a base of 11 players that are winning games for fun. Rowe may or may not be better than some if not all of those players, but it’s the team and the system that’s winning us games, so do you change that ? Injuries aside my personal opinion is keep to what we are doing using Rowe as a game changer if things are not quite going to plan. Why move players around ? Hull have brought in lots of better players but instead of being 5 points behind them we are now 6 points ahead of them as a settled team is a much better prospect than risking a change to that system, even if the players are better.

• Like 1

I’m still at a loss for this sudden lovesfest for Barnes, at the expense of our second best goal scorer and utter threat! Rowe, Sara, Sainz behind Sargent is a must in my book if all are fully fit! Footy all about opinions and debates 👍👍

Posted (edited)

I think the biggest problem we've had is having no means to change a game from the way we start it. So given Rowe seems to be able to do that on his own especially when the opponents are tiring, I'm inclined to favour using him the way he was used yesterday for the remaining games of the season, maybe bringing him on earlier as he gets fitter, unless new injuries change the situation.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 3

Not sure there is a decision to make yet. Rowe is only just back so hardly going to be ready to play 90 mins in the next game, or even two. Coming off the bench seems ideal. Be brilliant to have a sub that can make a possible difference.

If and when we get to the playoffs there’ll be more of a decision to make. Let’s hope everyone stays fit and we have that luxury.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

Not sure there is a decision to make yet. Rowe is only just back so hardly going to be ready to play 90 mins in the next game, or even two. Coming off the bench seems ideal. Be brilliant to have a sub that can make a possible difference.

If and when we get to the playoffs there’ll be more of a decision to make. Let’s hope everyone stays fit and we have that luxury.

Unfortunately some will use the situation as a stick to beat Wagner with and not make a logical conclusion, like your post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Unfortunately some will use the situation as a stick to beat Wagner with and not make a logical conclusion, like your post.

That’s the key here, if everyone is match fit then it’s a tough choice, if not then no we move forward as we are! But I’m a big fan of playing your best 11 and if someone doesn’t perform then there’s always someone on the bench ready to challenge your place. Great to see Rowe back.

I was at the Oxford game yesterday and yet again a certain Murphy was outstanding tore Peterborough apart and you Goodrham is a to buy in my opinion, Wes lookilike in style and play.

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’m still at a loss for this sudden lovesfest for Barnes, at the expense of our second best goal scorer and utter threat! Rowe, Sara, Sainz behind Sargent is a must in my book if all are fully fit! Footy all about opinions and debates 👍👍

We win with Barnes in the team. It is our team play and system that are winning games, not individuals. Rowe may or may not be better than every player playing, does not mean changing our team and way of playing will bring better results.

He may have scored lots of goals, but since his injury, Sargent has scored more goals and other players have also been scoring lots. Not a love fest for Barnes, but those 11 starting players for me.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Indy said:

That’s the key here, if everyone is match fit then it’s a tough choice, if not then no we move forward as we are! But I’m a big fan of playing your best 11 and if someone doesn’t perform then there’s always someone on the bench ready to challenge your place. Great to see Rowe back.

I was at the Oxford game yesterday and yet again a certain Murphy was outstanding tore Peterborough apart and you Goodrham is a to buy in my opinion, Wes lookilike in style and play.

I was at Leeds staying in the same hotel as the Blackburn team, told their star striker ( who then scored ) he should sign for us next season, don’t suppose he will though.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I was at Leeds staying in the same hotel as the Blackburn team, told their star striker ( who then scored ) he should sign for us next season, don’t suppose he will though.

No point getting into the same patronising style as others WBB, you’re too good a poster for that!I’m just saying a lower league player who is in our style of play who’s very young and probably very much in our price range given those we will probably lose in the summer! 

Edited by Indy

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

We win with Barnes in the team. It is our team play and system that are winning games, not individuals. Rowe may or may not be better than every player playing, does not mean changing our team and way of playing will bring better results.

He may have scored lots of goals, but since his injury, Sargent has scored more goals and other players have also been scoring lots. Not a love fest for Barnes, but those 11 starting players for me.

And yet Barnes has had two or three good performances in those games, I’ve seen a few games live over the past month and he’s the one player lacking in quality and work rate yet gets off the hook! McCallum gets a shed load of criticism for playing better! Fans favourite in my view!

42 minutes ago, Indy said:

For me someone who plays in Barnes position he has to create or score more ,

Having said that if he is bringing out the best of Sarge i can understand not changing system ,

my thoughts are a winning team should not be changed , Rowe is one if not the best player i understand but if we are winning then keep it as it is ,

we might be better with Rowe instead of Barnes or we could be worse again big call for Wagner 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He had a very positive effect. But the only way I can see him starting is if we leave out Barnes 

That would be very unpopular on Twitter where all our fans seem to hero worship him.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yep, smashed that one so far outta the ballpark we'll need a passport to catch it. Rowe's never going to be an athlete with exceptional endurance, but those highly explosive bursts and drives that really unsettle tiring defenders are best used in short, surging cameos. Make the midfield more solid behind him, give him a free role off a wing, and tell him to cause havoc.

Rowe offered something different to Sainz, he beat the defence on the outside at least twice whereas Sainz is always looking to come inside. He looked sharp and raised the fans as well.

As for Barnes, he was certainly appreciated at the game. He works well with Josh, and our excellent ran has been with both of them in the starting lineup. Who knows how it will work with Sara in his place-or anyone else for that matter. No need to change as far as I can see.

Just now, Mr Angry said:

Rowe offered something different to Sainz, he beat the defence on the outside at least twice whereas Sainz is always looking to come inside. He looked sharp and raised the fans as well.

As for Barnes, he was certainly appreciated at the game. He works well with Josh, and our excellent ran has been with both of them in the starting lineup. Who knows how it will work with Sara in his place-or anyone else for that matter. No need to change as far as I can see.

Rowe clearly also really distracts the opposition defenders. Everyone in the league knows about how much of a threat he can be and you can tell as soon as he came on almost every Preston defender was straight on him.

Posted (edited)

Changed the game imo. His directness and pace gave us something we lacked. 

He also causes a major distraction for defending teams, they focus on him which leaves spaces and gaps for others to build into. 

But that's why he should stay on the bench for now, it clearly worked, bringing someone with his explosiveness on with 20 minutes to go will terrify tiring defenses. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Well b back said:

Szmodics won't be here he will be sold. For BIG money unfortunately, very good player and champs top scorer tho. 

22 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I assume that is a observation rather than a criticism of Sainz as in football today it seems the modern trend is for players to play on the 'wrong' side to their favoured foot.This season has seen quite a few really good goals scored by players coming inside and scoring with curled shots at goal.There are quite a few class players who tend to play for their clubs on their 'wrong' side that invariably come inside;Grealish,Silva,Elliott,Kulusevski and Antony come to mind

• Like 1

Rowe isn't going to stay here to play off the bench, the club may also want him in the shop window.

That said we're probably one more game away from him starting, when Sara will move inside but not in Barnes' position.

It's a nice problem to have to be fair.

• Like 1