Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

"Norwich City"...or just "Norwich"??

Seems to me that our local commentators and journalists keep saying "Norwich City" every single time they mention us and it's starting to irritate me.  All through pinkun reports and particularly the match commentator last night, we keep getting this "Norwich City this" and "Norwich City that".......

We all know we're "Norwich City" so is there any need to keep saying it?  Surely it's enough just to say "Norwich" most of the time??

Has anyone else noticed this?

Just now, lake district canary said:

Seems to me that our local commentators and journalists keep saying "Norwich City" every single time they mention us and it's starting to irritate me.  All through pinkun reports and particularly the match commentator last night, we keep getting this "Norwich City this" and "Norwich City that".......

We all know we're "Norwich City" so is there any need to keep saying it?  Surely it's enough just to say "Norwich" most of the time??

Nope. But now you have mentioned it, if I hear it, it will likely irritate me as well. 

Thanks mate! 😁 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes I noticed it last night mainly Rob Butler  and it was annoying 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Where I get irritated is when some teams get their full names and others don't when describing the same match. We had one where I saw "Norwich vs. Ipswich Town". If you're going to use their full name, be consistent, please. And if you're playing a team from a town/city with more than one team and the name of the town/city is in both clubs, meaning their full name has to be used, use ours too.

Obviously, Norwich vs. Bristol/Sheffield is awkward as Bristol and Sheffield have two clubs with the city in their name. And if it's a league fixture list, then as far as I'm concerned it should be full names only, please.

EDIT: If it's match commentary, then sure, be more varied and less repetitive. We have nicknames and colours for a reason.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

A load of squit about nothing 

the club name is Norwich City 

more important things to worry about 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes - in fact been going on for a few years now and annoying as hell! National media started doing it as well. If you listen to Five Live commentating on a Leeds game then 9 time out of 10 they will refer to 'Leeds United' instead of simply 'Leeds'. It depends on the situation. There is absolutely no need to refer to the full club name when commentating whilst the game is in progress. When you're making some kind of statement about the club as a whole pre / post match then the full name sounds ok and may well fit that particular moment in time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

A load of squit about nothing 

the club name is Norwich City 

more important things to worry about 

It's the little things in life that matter!  😌 

Edited by lake district canary

I like that we're Norwich CITY and very happy when we're called it. Yet another item in the list of 'ways we're superior to Ipswich'.

What does annoy me is when people call Manchester City just 'City', even when they're playing us. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one City.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I got a Brighton mate who lives near Hove.....never gets a mention as its the wrong 'Sussex' and keeps threatening to support Crawley.

Just now, lake district canary said:

It's the little things in life that matter. 😊 

That’s what they should write on Warwick Davis’ tomb stone 

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

I like that we're Norwich CITY and very happy when we're called it. Yet another item in the list of 'ways we're superior to Ipswich'.

What does annoy me is when people call Manchester City just 'City', even when they're playing us. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one City.

Dropped an atomic bomb on Manchester, about 15 quids worth of damage 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

But I think this is part of my point. When local reporters/commentators keep saying "Norwich City" every time, they could just as easily refer to us as "City" and we would all know what they mean. It's this constant "Norwich City this Norwich City that" that just seems so clumsy.  Only need the full name occasionally - we all know what we are!!

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I always loved it when we went on the friendly tour in the USA under Neil Adams with the American TV anchors always referring to us as 'Nor Wich City Canaries'.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

22 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Dropped an atomic bomb on Manchester, about 15 quids worth of damage 

I really suspect you might not have seen the property prices there. Lots of new apartment blocks going up in the city centre, and the prices are pretty steep!

• Like 1

‘On the football pitch’

’they’re a massive football club’

’they need to win football matches’

‘Couldn’t get control of the football’

Merson in the worst for this but it runs deep.

I noticed this and it was grinding my gears too. Why not mix it up? Use Norwich City (occasionally), but also use just “Norwich” or “City”, or “Canaries”.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I always loved it when we went on the friendly tour in the USA under Neil Adams with the American TV anchors always referring to us as 'Nor Wich City Canaries'.

That's how Onel pronounces it as well, and he's a local lad these days!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Satriales said:

That's how Onel pronounces it as well, and he's a local lad these days!

Yup, but even he doesn't usually say Norwich City Canaries like the whole thing's one title! It's the Canaries or Norwich City.

Re the op though, given the existence of Norwich United, there's technically a distinction to make.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Cheers Lakey, I suspect this is now going to irritate me, in the same way as Owen Coyle called it the 'Barclays Premier League", or those that still call it the Premiership.

Interesting gripe LDC.

Living in Sheffield is quite fun for this kind of griping. Sheffield United were the first "United" football club, their fans are always pissed off when ManUre are seemingly the only club allowed to be called United by the media (and of course they nicked our scarves as well). Then the Owls were originally called The Wednesday Football Club, only adding Sheffield officially in the 1930's! There is also the oldest football club still in existence, Sheffield Club who hold title to "Sheffield" in their name. So in Sheffield, you could say there are Sheffield, United and Wednesday.

As far as I can research Manchester City were the first professional side to have City as part of their name, but everyone knows them as Citeh nowadays. Do you want to claim City for ourselves only LDC?

Never noticed it, so not bothered me.  Be interesting if I pick up on it now though! 🙂

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Nope not noticied. Got bigger priorities in my life than listening so hard to see if someones calling us by our full club name or not.

30 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Nope not noticied. Got bigger priorities in my life than listening so hard to see if someones calling us by our full club name or not.

Listening so hard? It doesn't take much effort, you just have to listen to what's being said.

Not really noticed it but do like the title 'Norwich City' as that is what we are.

In any case I'm happy with any of:  Norwich, Norwich City, Norwich City FC, The Canaries or just the usual one, 'Pride of Anglia' 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Interesting gripe LDC.

Living in Sheffield is quite fun for this kind of griping. Sheffield United were the first "United" football club, their fans are always pissed off when ManUre are seemingly the only club allowed to be called United by the media (and of course they nicked our scarves as well). Then the Owls were originally called The Wednesday Football Club, only adding Sheffield officially in the 1930's! There is also the oldest football club still in existence, Sheffield Club who hold title to "Sheffield" in their name. So in Sheffield, you could say there are Sheffield, United and Wednesday.

As far as I can research Manchester City were the first professional side to have City as part of their name, but everyone knows them as Citeh nowadays. Do you want to claim City for ourselves only LDC?

No, but if I'm listening to a report or commentary by our own local correspondents/commentators, then it is clear what City means.

What would irk me more is if when we play Man City they are referred to as just "City" when we patently are also City. I have heard that in the past by MOTD pundits and commentators and the like, but I just think that for local use, "Norwich" or "City" is enough on most occasions.