Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Your favourite derby moments?

Given the mood around the upcoming derby is understandably somewhat nervous I thought I would try and cheer things up a little by asking a simple question. What are your favourite derby moments? Paul lambert being sent off as he's held back by the police? The classic "When are they ever going to beat them?" Klose header?

Or for those of you on here of the older age bracket are there any lesser known moments from decades in the past that you remember that not many may know about?

Klose's last-gasp goal for me. Absolute perfection! 👌

• Like 1

Our  away 5-1 hammering of that lot has to be up there, well good night & the song, here there, there every f...... g where empty seats, empty seats! 😅

• Like 1

Many good memories and some not so good. I fear some of younger fans might struggle to cope should be lose Saturday.

For me the standout ones:

Brucie's winner.

1-5

Bradley's sledgehammer 

"Going Up, Going Down"

Posted (edited)

One that sits fondly in my memory is Norwich City 1 Ipswich Town 0 on Easter Monday 1981. 

Ipswich came here in second place chasing the title - we were 19th and battling against relegation.

A tight game was settled when Justin Fashanu (God rest his soul) slid into a one-on-one with Town keeper Paul Cooper and poked it home. Cooper saw Fashanu coming at him studs first and  sh*t himself, pulling out of the challenge.

That defeat was fatal to their hopes of winning the title - and us? - we were relegated anyway. 🤣

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1

There are so many, but personally when we beat them at home in the playoff semi and that move when we carved them apart for Redmond's shot which could only be saved by the defender on the line using his hand, and we then scored from the penalty anyway after he'd been sent off.  It's even funnier that sometimes afterwards their fans would make comments about the result being caused by them going down to 10 men. 

And funnier still that when they were discussing their best moments of that decade, their consensus seemed to be that it was playing (and losing to) us in the playoff semi (which objectively was true) while beating them was way down our list of top 10 moments.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

There are so many, but personally when we beat them at home in the playoff semi and that move when we carved them apart for Redmond's shot which could only be saved by the defender on the line using his hand, and we then scored from the penalty anyway after he'd been sent off.  It's even funnier that sometimes afterwards their fans would make comments about the result being caused by them going down to 10 men. 

And funnier still that when they were discussing their best moments of that decade, their consensus seemed to be that it was playing (and losing to) us in the playoff semi (which objectively was true) while beating them was way down our list of top 10 moments.

This for me too, especially the last 10 minutes or so with the ground rocking and singing about Wembley was awesome

15 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

The odd thing is that some of them think they totally outplayed us in the first half of our home leg - which was a dull half of football with no one bossing it either way.

My best moment has to be the Milk Cup winner, which generated my favourite footy pic of all time. 
image.jpeg.42df29f35dbfffd0fec46319684f4c8f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Has to be the play off second leg when Wes put the penalty away! Never heard the ground erupt like that befor, or when Holty banged in his hat trick and we sang to Roy Keane, “sacked in the morning!”

Edited by TheBaldOne66

Recent years really have been kind to us, haven't they? Sort of makes me dread Saturday a little more in fear of what's possibly to come...

Definitely 1-5 away although felt like I missed the start of that? Took ages to get into ground.

Semi-final and being on the pitch at the end was a big moment.

Then the Klose header, especially as my mate said "f*ck this" and walked down the steps about 30 seconds before the goal!

• Haha 1

December 82 fixture at portman road; Mendham (2) and oneills late winner gave a joyous win against them in their pomp. 

Car pelted wwithstands on the journey home but what a feeling

• Like 3

Bruce’s header in the LC second leg to dump the sh*te in the sh*t and Klose’s header to shut the scum. Mick McCarthy telling them to F Off after they scored is a close third.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

This for me, especially as I was there.

But also this was pretty funny:

Several to mention and in no particular order

3-2 in 1982 with goals from Peter Mendham (2) and Martin O'Neill.

Holty and his three goals.

Bradley Johnson and that thunderbolt.

Steve Bruce and the goal that took us to Wembley in 1985.

1-5 at Scum HQ.

Timm Klose.

Play off semi final at home in 2015.

• Like 2

The one I always mention but hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread was Kevin Lynch overturning that last-minute Ipswich penalty (that would have given them a chance to equalise) in 95 or 96.

Gunny taking the resultant free-kick from the penalty spot was the cherry on the cake.

But other than that piece of banter, surely the Milk Cup and play-off semis are objectively the top two.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Several to mention and in no particular order

3-2 in 1982 with goals from Peter Mendham (2) and Martin O'Neill.

Holty and his three goals.

Bradley Johnson and that thunderbolt.

Steve Bruce and the goal that took us to Wembley in 1985.

1-5 at Scum HQ.

Timm Klose.

Play off semi final at home in 2015.

Add to those the FA Cup 1-0 in 1983 made all the sweeter being scored by ex Binner Keith Bertschin.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Add to those the FA Cup 1-0 in 1983 made all the sweeter being scored by ex Binner Keith Bertschin.

Ahh that’s an interesting one think it’s the last time we had 29K at Carrow Road, before the capacity was reduced.

20 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Ahh that’s an interesting one think it’s the last time we had 29K at Carrow Road, before the capacity was reduced.

15 minutes ago, River End Rocker said:

Lambert being sent off and Timm Klose are my two, but a special mention for Jamie Cureton and his green hair. 

Lambert being held back by a copper was, and still is, hilarious!

• Haha 1

All those own goals scored by their CB at the time. Seemed to rain in! 🤣🤣