dylanisabaddog

The English National Anthem

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Man marries cabbage. One of the great newspaper headlines 😊

It's not unknown, and I've heard of this sort of thing before. It's called object sexuality. A quick google revealed the following:

Erika Eiffel is the most famous person to have married an inanimate object. After a three-year courtship, in 2007, she married the Eiffel Tower. Erika is an advocate for object sexuality and a competitive archer.

21 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Liechtenstein has a nice tune, we should nick that 🙂

Incredibly, it might be something that the British DIDN'T nick! 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is no "technically" about it. It's not an English anthem. 

You might think it's fine. I think it's an uninspiring dirge. 

The point is valid: England’s anthem being the same as that for GB does diminish it when used just for England.  Similarly, it would annoy me as a Scot if I represented my country and sang what was considered to be the English anthem.  

These reasons are why I believe Jerusalem is used at the commonwealth games.  A great hymn but perhaps we do ned something ‘new’.

29 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Essentially, Poland has always had problems with few natural land borders (except the mountainous south) so stronger invaders were always able to cause havoc but by the same token, Poland could often fight hard to boot (Battle of Vienna, anyone?).

Congratulations on being one of the few British people to know about one of the most important battles ever to be fought on European soil😊

Yes, Poland's anthem does reflect its history but like France, Germany and Italy it's also very rousing and nationalistic. 

At the last World Cup 2 Mexican players cried openly during their anthem. I really can't see our anthem creating that sort of emotion but I don't believe that is because others are any more patriotic than us. Our anthem is just carp and leaves me completely uninspired. 

Even Jack Grealish playing air guitar to Bohemian Rhapsody would be an improvement. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Incredibly, it might be something that the British DIDN'T nick! 😉 

there seems to be some debate about who wrote it, but almost certainly an Englishman.

What´s in no doubt is that many countries have used it at some point. 

I think I´d keep it for the UK, as it has been used so long, but England should have something different

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Congratulations on being one of the few British people to know about one of the most important battles ever to be fought on European soil😊

Yes, Poland's anthem does reflect its history but like France, Germany and Italy it's also very rousing and nationalistic. 

At the last World Cup 2 Mexican players cried openly during their anthem. I really can't see our anthem creating that sort of emotion but I don't believe that is because others are any more patriotic than us. Our anthem is just carp and leaves me completely uninspired. 

Even Jack Grealish playing air guitar to Bohemian Rhapsody would be an improvement. 

If Romania's anthem is played with a bit of pace on it, that's a rousing one as well. Although you might be giving me a bit too much credit re. knowing about the Battle of Vienna considering my German-language background.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is no "technically" about it. It's not an English anthem. 

You might think it's fine. I think it's an uninspiring dirge. 

Totally agree - compared with something like the Italian anthem God Save the King is just  one big yawn!

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Read the words of the Polish anthem if you've not already, it's clear why they feel passionate.  

I know it off by heart. In Polish😊

You're never more than 10 yards away from one of us lot😂🇵🇱🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

2 hours ago, chicken said:

I think it's more to do with not really having a national identity other than the hangover from colonialism still.

By that I mean that up until things went seriously south in India, colonial era politics applied at home as well as abroad. Ways to unite and control people and to deflect blame for the crappy conditions the working class lived in whilst serving the aristocratic elite.

Our national anthem is a reflection of that in many ways and is why so many, for decades, have been questioning its relevance.

This is spot on. 

A National Anthem should inspire the people in the Country, not be a paean to an outdated and very divisive and class ridden institution like a monarchy. 

There is a very good reason that many National Anthems are about the struggle for freedom and independence. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's not unknown, and I've heard of this sort of thing before. It's called object sexuality. A quick google revealed the following:

Erika Eiffel is the most famous person to have married an inanimate object. After a three-year courtship, in 2007, she married the Eiffel Tower. Erika is an advocate for object sexuality and a competitive archer.

If you haven't watched Boston Legal do seek it out. One episode concerns a lady who falls in love with an electricity control box but dumps it for an iPhone. 

10 minutes ago, duke63 said:

This is spot on. 

A National Anthem should inspire the people in the Country, not be a paean to an outdated and very divisive and class ridden institution like a monarchy. 

There is a very good reason that many National Anthems are about the struggle for freedom and independence. 

Please stand against the wall over there. Would you like a cigarette? 

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

there seems to be some debate about who wrote it, but almost certainly an Englishman.

What´s in no doubt is that many countries have used it at some point. 

I think I´d keep it for the UK, as it has been used so long, but England should have something different

Keep the English national anthem for the UK but ditch it for England?

I think that'd just further underline what is wrong with it... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chicken said:

Keep the English national anthem for the UK but ditch it for England?

I think that'd just further underline what is wrong with it... 

Except it’s the other way round. God save the King is the U.K. National Anthem, England doesn’t have one and that’s why it’s used for most sporting events when England are represented.

• Like 2

My advice people is to stop droning on about the words of a song, otherwise you give it a level of importance that you don't think it should have. 

Anyone reckon we'll get 3 points against Plymouth? 

On no I've said Plymouth . Now some pseudo intellectual is going to bang on about colonialisation in the USA.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

I watched the match and the Welsh fans even sang it during the game. On some fans tears were running (and because of the anthem and shared experience not the disallowed goal!). It always gets me too and I realise I discovered the true extent of my Welsh heritage in 2020 and then decided to learn the language - but the emotional effect it has on me is something I cannot comprehend. Same when Calon Lan is sung by a choir. Just what the hell is that about? Born in Norwich and lots of ancestry in the area but almost matched by the Welsh side. That said, sung well I love OTBC as much.

Perhaps as small nations there is a pride for both countries? For us, I like Jerusalem. It is sweeping and emotional as a song. I agree about the dirge and royalist nature of our current one.

I'd say with smaller countries it's often about survival and independence for the country/culture in question, whereas with some more powerful countries it's about ruling/dominion. Even some of the larger countries with anthems considered more rousing are generally due to a threat (France, Italy, Mexico) rather than the notion of ruling/subjugating others beneath them.

If we take Wales as an example, their anthem makes a plea that their old language survives. Poland's literally about getting their country back again after it was wiped off the map. Romania's anthem urges their citizens to wake up against a mortal threat.

Just gonna say, we're sleeping on Denmark's anthem a bit. That's underrated.

Trouble is, whatever we sing, someone will always come along and **** it up improve it! 🤣

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Trouble is, whatever we sing, someone will always come along and **** it up improve it! 🤣

Haha, I saw on the homepage you'd replied to this thread and I thought to myself, 'I bet he's recommended a Fall song'

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sonyc said:

I watched the match and the Welsh fans even sang it during the game. On some fans tears were running (and because of the anthem and shared experience not the disallowed goal!). It always gets me too and I realise I discovered the true extent of my Welsh heritage in 2020 and then decided to learn the language - but the emotional effect it has on me is something I cannot comprehend. Same when Calon Lan is sung by a choir. Just what the hell is that about? Born in Norwich and lots of ancestry in the area but almost matched by the Welsh side. That said, sung well I love OTBC as much.

Perhaps as small nations there is a pride for both countries? For us, I like Jerusalem. It is sweeping and emotional as a song. I agree about the dirge and royalist nature of our current one.

Be warned, eating leeks and wearing daffodils will come next- followed in time by a mysterious attraction towards sheep!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Haha, I saw on the homepage you'd replied to this thread and I thought to myself, 'I bet he's recommended a Fall song'

I've obviously been posting on here too long! 😉 

• Haha 2

Just now, shefcanary said:

I've obviously been posting on here too long! 😉 

Haha, yeah, when I was right I did think "I spend too much time on this forum"

• Haha 1

I've been quite surprised to see some of the comments here. For some strange reason, some people think that anyone who dislikes the UK anthem is anti English or is ashamed of its history. 

I can't speak for others but I think this is an extraordinary country. It's an incredibly beautiful place and we still punch well above our weight in all sorts of ways like sport, music and science. I know there are things we shouldn't be proud of but very few countries are perfect. 

I wasn't looking to start an argument about history. I would simply like an English (not British) anthem that everyone can be proud of. I'm quite happy for the British anthem to be sung at British or Royal events but not at England football matches. It's roughly the equivalent of the French playing the European anthem before their games. 

It's still a great country despite any faults. It's just that we don't have an anthem and, like it or not, the anthem we use is dire. I really shouldn't have to listen to the French anthem and feel jealous. If history tells us anything it's that we're better at music than them. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The majority of the England team either have no respect for the National Anthem and stand  their with their mouths closed like they are auditioning to be an ventriloquist, others only know the rap version 

Edited by daly

10 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Ours is fine. God Save The King!

Although technically it’s not ours, we don’t have an official one

It's a tedious dirge and with so many brilliant English musicians and composers over the centuries there is surely something better out there. Lift the English hearts, don't sink 'em.

• Like 2

Definitely “Swords of a thousand men” by Tenpole Tudor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FCC said:

Definitely “Swords of a thousand men” by Tenpole Tudor.