cambridgeshire canary

Rowe; In jail if not for Webber?

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Stuart Webber isn't racist and has obviously done a lot for several charities over time that help out multiple communities including young black children.

I mean he's been very clumsy with his wording and its 2024 so it'll now be a couple of weeks of continual anger and people accusing him of being a racist so I assume he will have to come out and clarify a few things.

You’ll jump to his defence over seemingly anything. Very odd. 

3 minutes ago, S_81 said:

You’ll jump to his defence over seemingly anything. Very odd. 

Again, learn to read. I'm not defending his comments, just pointing out he isn't a racist and actually "does actions" to back that up.

Just now, hogesar said:

Again, learn to read. I'm not defending his comments, just pointing out he isn't a racist and actually "does actions" to back that up.

How do you know he isn’t a racist? Very bizarre defence.

5 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

He met him once at Kings Lynn. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

Because wording something awfully when trying to draw comparisons between young Black players vs situations he'd seen as part of his charity work helping those communities does not make someone racist.

I generally believe actions mean more than words. And somebody can be accused of making a racist comment without necessarily being a racist.

• Like 1

The fact that Delia and Michael continue to openly seek guidance from bloke goes to show their judgement is impaired. He’s not even employed here any longer and he’s still a tremendous liability.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Stuart Webber isn't racist and has obviously done a lot for several charities over time that help out multiple communities including young black children.

I mean he's been very clumsy with his wording and its 2024 so it'll now be a couple of weeks of continual anger and people accusing him of being a racist so I assume he will have to come out and clarify a few things.

Shoo-in for the Diplomatic Service is our Stu. 😀😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Only a few, but even the players he mentioned would tell you he isn't a racist, despite not being happy with what he said I'm sure. I completely understand hour point about how it comes across.

He probably isn't,  but he's not got the greatest character,  he definitely isn't faultless. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, hogesar said:

And somebody can be accused of making a racist comment without necessarily being a racist.

Which is true, someone clumsily, inadvertently or unthinkingly saying something racist does not make them a racist.

His comment as said though appears racist whether intended or not. Especially because by all accounts it’s clearly not true about two of those mentioned by name, the five of which seem to have only been linked together because of the colour of their skin.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

Surely even Zoe is getting embarrassed at this point. I don’t like to throw these kind of comments around too freely.

But as Webber even mentioned himself being burnt out and struggling to deal with things. Is Webber mentally damaged after his time in football? I don’t remember him being this reckless early on but he seems to be getting more and more reckless. He also lost a lot of hair and their is always that connection with hair loss and mental health.

Still it shows how much Delia has lost it. Need someone at the top making the right decisions.

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Where does it say black players? Aarons had a skin transplant?

Eh? Max Aarons is very clearly mixed race, and his parents moved here from Jamaica.

In fact it is his inclusion which makes me believe that Webber is a racist, his dad was a car salesman and his mum was in business, he moved during his childhood to Milton Keynes, and Webber trying to make it sound like he grew up in a broken home on a sink estate and had to escape 'the ends', the absolute bigot, assuming that Max Aarons had a tough upbringing because he is black ffs.

Sorry but this is quite clearly a comment with racial undertones. Absolute dinosaur already.

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm guessing that he means, Lewis aside, they all grew up in rough areas of London?

Like that really rough area of Milton Keynes, 55 miles away from London? Which is where Max Aarons grew up?

9 hours ago, king canary said:

Just to note we've now got Max Aaron's and Jamal Lewis's mother's in the replied to this tweet understandably somewhat upset with Webber's depictions of their sons. 

Wonder how long before he's having to walk these back.

I have to wonder whether both would have grounds to sue Webber for defamation really, not like they couldn't afford to bring the action is it, and its a slur on their character which could damage their career prospects by making managers weary of signing them.

Or, indeed, Jonny Rowe who I bet is well chuffed to have Webber project that image of him while he's potentially on the cusp of a lucrative life changing move to the Premier League.

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

My first thought would be a dead-end or low-skilled job. After all, many youngsters chasing the dream of professional football are often not that well-schooled and have spent a good chunk of their early years trying to hone their skills, or have their schooling somewhat moved around their training and football.

I think it's quite telling that Rowe made the observations he did about Norfolk being less problematic and IIRC I think Anton Ferdinand said as a youngster that for him it was going pro or potentially having a life of crime due to the limitations of the area he lived and grew up in.

My suspicion is that Webber was aiming for that, but that wasn't his call to make.

In about 1998 we released a 13 year old East-London born black striker of Jamaican heritage named Kane Robinson.

He's now 38.

He has not been to jail.

He's been one of the pioneers of a music genre, made millions in music, and acting, been shortlisted for two Mercury Prizes, won two MOBO awards, been nominated for 4 more MOBO's, been shortlisted for a Brit Award, sold millions of albums, starred in one of Netflix's biggest transatlantic exports, and had 2 x UK top 10 albums, and does extensive charity work to raise money for charities in Newham. 

He's more commonly known as Kano. 

Meanwhile we've just had a 21 year old Peterborough born and raised white midfielder spend time in prison for dangerous driving, and we've got the Ferrari driving Norfolk-born and bred white son of a formerly jailed white Norfolk born and raised League Cup winning midfielder facing some serious criminal charges. Not to mention another white privately-educated (locally) son of a Norwich legend, Ben Huckerby, jailed for street robberies and drug possession. 

Webber has really shown his prejudice here. It might not be conscious racism, but it is certain the type of habitual unconscious bias that you'd expect from a tabloid reading moron. Webber is a moron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Because wording something awfully when trying to draw comparisons between young Black players vs situations he'd seen as part of his charity work helping those communities does not make someone racist.

I generally believe actions mean more than words. And somebody can be accused of making a racist comment without necessarily being a racist.

How has his charity work helped those communities? Has it actually raised any money for anything yet, apart from his mountain climbing? 

I have never taken to Webber after his comments, I think in his first season, after a drab draw telling supporters if they didn’t like what they were watching they could go and support another club. I had been attending for sixty years at that time and to be told that was really an eye opener to the man. I am pleased he has gone and already think there has been an uplift at the club.

The lasting memory of this season to date is the sight of Webber leaving at Cardiff walking up  the tunnel of players without one acknowledgement of the supporters to Farkes return to Carrow Road where he didn’t celebrate Leeds win and acknowledged the crowd in every stand.

,Only one letter difference between crass and class, Farke class Webber not class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s only one person defending Webber on this one, but it was always guaranteed. 

Who's that then . I doubt it's zoe🤣

4 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Who's that then . I doubt it's zoe🤣

i imagine she can not be happy about this !! 

you imagine Rowe's parents next time they bump in to Zoe and ask about her Husbands comments 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

In about 1998 we released a 13 year old East-London born black striker of Jamaican heritage named Kane Robinson.

He's now 38.

He has not been to jail.

He's been one of the pioneers of a music genre, made millions in music, and acting, been shortlisted for two Mercury Prizes, won two MOBO awards, been nominated for 4 more MOBO's, been shortlisted for a Brit Award, sold millions of albums, starred in one of Netflix's biggest transatlantic exports, and had 2 x UK top 10 albums, and does extensive charity work to raise money for charities in Newham. 

He's more commonly known as Kano. 

Meanwhile we've just had a 21 year old Peterborough born and raised white midfielder spend time in prison for dangerous driving, and we've got the Ferrari driving Norfolk-born and bred white son of a formerly jailed white Norfolk born and raised League Cup winning midfielder facing some serious criminal charges. Not to mention another white privately-educated (locally) son of a Norwich legend, Ben Huckerby, jailed for street robberies and drug possession. 

Webber has really shown his prejudice here. It might not be conscious racism, but it is certain the type of habitual unconscious bias that you'd expect from a tabloid reading moron. Webber is a moron.

You'll always find exceptions to broad rules like Kano, but the link between poverty and poorer outcomes (or indeed criminal activity) is pretty well established, as is the link between lower levels of schooling and poorer life outcomes. Heck, plenty of footballers who did make it don't always stay prosperous after retirement despite making far more money than many of us would. 

Increased poverty increases crime, increased education reduces crime. If Webber's a "moron", then anyone who doesn't know this is sofa king wee tarred head.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The fact that Delia and Michael continue to openly seek guidance from bloke goes to show their judgement is impaired. He’s not even employed here any longer and he’s still a tremendous liability.

His influence is there for all to see. Dreadful recruitment, languishing miles behind the binners and not a pot to **** in. Delia feels justified because we’re clinging on to a desperate claw at being 6th best in a league we should win easily. No ambition from top to bottom, no money, no future. 

29 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

His influence is there for all to see. Dreadful recruitment, languishing miles behind the binners and not a pot to **** in. Delia feels justified because we’re clinging on to a desperate claw at being 6th best in a league we should win easily. No ambition from top to bottom, no money, no future. 

err, why should we win it if we have no money and no ambition either ?

The standard of trolling is the real problem - pig mince, jubwanky, keiff snot and now this failed attempt

3/10 Duncan't, could do better

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

You'll always find exceptions to broad rules like Kano, but the link between poverty and poorer outcomes (or indeed criminal activity) is pretty well established, as is the link between lower levels of schooling and poorer life outcomes. Heck, plenty of footballers who did make it don't always stay prosperous after retirement despite making far more money than many of us would. 

Increased poverty increases crime, increased education reduces crime. If Webber's a "moron", then anyone who doesn't know this is sofa king wee tarred head.

It is already well established that Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis didn't come from "poverty", or live on some London sink estate. Max Aarons grew up in Milton Keynes, his dad a car salesman and his mum works in marketing, Max Aarons has already told The Times that his dad paid £70 an hour for personal coaching sessions to help his son make it in football, three times a week. 

Jamal Lewis grew up in Luton, his mum was and still is a professional Athletics coach, which is why Jamal Lewis had a realistic prospect of making it in athletics, and his dad is also long been involved in local youth sports coaching, his dad was the coach of his first ever youth football side. His high school is rated 'good' by Ofsted, it is the school attended by the current MP for Luton South.

And that's 40% of the players named as a starting point.

So if we're looking for the constants here, it isn't that they all grew up in broken homes on London sink estates like Milford Towers or the Aylesbury Estate. You are at risk of showing prejudice yourself really, by making the same sweeping assumption that because they happen to be young and black they must have come from deprived areas and lived below the poverty line, it seems that both came from happy, stable and comfortable upper-working or lower-middle class families. In fact by Webber's own accounts, both likely much better off than he was growing up in Aberystwyth!  

There's only one pattern I can spot in that list of five names, and that is that they are all black. Whether racism or not, the players should absolutely sue him, they are comments which could clearly been seen as disparaging, damage their reputations and as a result impact their possible opportunities and earning potential. If Webber is smart he'll apologise publicly and offer to make a donation to the charity of the players choosing to avoid litigation (Jamal Lewis actually founded his own charity, I hope he doesn't settle for a donation of less than £10k).

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, RobJames said:

err, why should we win it if we have no money and no ambition either ?

The standard of trolling is the real problem - pig mince, jubwanky, keiff snot and now this failed attempt

3/10 Duncan't, could do better

Ok, NobJames. You couldn’t. 

These comments sum up his main character flaws perfectly:

1. He is a bigot. We saw this previously with his dismissive comments on the women's team. 

2. His comments to the media are a total liability 

3. He has a massive ego, the same massive ego that utterly destroyed our last premier league season after he wrongly assumed he could easily replace our two best players, sending the club into a downward spiral. 

Even if you think these comments weren't racist, they showed a massive degree of insensitivity, not just to the players themselves, but to young black footballers generally. Prospective employers may not look kindly on such comments. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

This key Liberal tenet seems to be dying out in the West. I wonder what is killing it....?🤔

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity

The irony of calling out the principle of charity when he is literally assuming the worst the about the black footballers he name checked with his casually racist comments. 

• Thanks 1