cambridgeshire canary

Rowe; In jail if not for Webber?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Stuart Webber isn't racist and has obviously done a lot for several charities over time that help out multiple communities including young black children.

I mean he's been very clumsy with his wording and its 2024 so it'll now be a couple of weeks of continual anger and people accusing him of being a racist so I assume he will have to come out and clarify a few things.

Hoggy , really , why does he not just Fù*ke off and leave us all in peace. As has been said , he's hanging around like a bad smell, he really is. He's actually a sideshow , that most normal football people don't want to hear about. Do you think he is feeling sorry for himself or does his ego just crave more and more cŕàààà-p. He really is an embarrassing unfortunate lost soul at the moment.  Quicker he gets up a mountain  the better. 🤣👍please just F.O. The majority of decent folk have Really had enough of his bùù-ßhit. 

Edited by Mengo

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean he's been very clumsy with his wording and its 2024 so it'll now be a couple of weeks of continual anger and people accusing him of being a racist so I assume he will have to come out and clarify a few things.

Understand the point you are making but I think you have to acknowledge that people who have been upset by this already include Max's mum and brother and Jamal's mum: it's not just people on the internet looking to be offended.

I admire your defence of SW in the face of the wilder accusations make about him. But this is pretty straightforward - he messed up here and should apologise. You make it sound as though 'it's 2024 now' means that people's anger is just an internet overreaction, little to do with him, but you might as well say 'it's 2024, black people shouldn't have to deal with this mindless nonsense' - even if it's clumsy wording from an essentially good person, which is just about the most charitable interpretation of Webber's comments that you could make.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 15

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

to be honest i thought it would be more ,

13 k for a squad of players some millionaires is not that much about 500 quid each ? 

That's really not the point. We all know the saying, "(i)t's the thought that counts". The players were conveying by their gesture that they liked and appreciated everything Stuart had done for them and the club. It clearly meant a lot to him. I think it was a big gesture by the players, millionaires or not. Despite putting his foot in It on a number of occasions ( and still is by the looks of this thread), I liked the guy a lot. We may have still been sitting 6th in championship now even if he had never been at the club, but I doubt Colney would be like it is, doubt we'd have had Farke; all the current 1st team squad and a growing number of promising youngsters have come in during his tenure. His hands were clearly tied in the 2 Premier league seasons, and the challenges of attracting the players we needed, covid (huge), adapting playing style proved too much. Yes the PL signings were mostly disastrous. He took it on himself to take the brunt of responsibility when some should have been carried  by the owners. I think his long-term legacy will live on with the new ownership, which is desperately needed.

I realise you know people at the club, so more aware of all the ins and outs, but this is just how I see things. 

One last thing, I always remember Michael Bailey (or another local journo) saying that SW was the most reluctant out of all the board members about firing DF. Maybe MB got it wrong or corrected himself later, but that's what I remember hearing.

Edited by makham
  • Like 2

What ridiculous comments, I hope he's got his lawyers bills paid up to date, I've a feeling he's going to be needing his services in the very near future.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Hoggy , really , why does he not just Fù*ke off and leave us all in peace. As has been said , he's hanging around like a bad smell, he really is. He's actually a sideshow , that most normal football people don't want to hear about. Do you think he is feeling sorry for himself or does his ego just crave more and more cŕàààà-p. He really is an embarrassing unfortunate lost soul at the moment.  Quicker he gets up a mountain  the better. 🤣👍please just F.O. The majority of decent folk have Really had enough of his bùù-ßhit. 

Well it seems the PinkUn has decided to interview him so I'd blame them if you don't want him hanging around...

54 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Understand the point you are making but I think you have to acknowledge that people who have been upset by this already include Max's mum and brother and Jamal's mum: it's not just people on the internet looking to be offended.

I admire your defence of SW in the face of the wilder accusations make about him. But this is pretty straightforward - he messed up here and should apologise. You make it sound as though 'it's 2024 now' means that people's anger is just an internet overreaction, little to do with him, but you might as well say 'it's 2024, black people shouldn't have to deal with this mindless nonsense' - even if it's clumsy wording from an essentially good person, which is just about the most charitable interpretation of Webber's comments that you could make.

My point is nothing more than he isn't racist, even if what he said could be perceived as such (it's not the only plausible perception, he could be relating it to systemic racism making it harder for them etc).

Ultimately I'm sure he'll have to apologise because as I said, the words could be taken as such. Of course the real answer would be not to have said it at all but we are obviously past that.

If people don't wish to be perceived as a racist, they should probably stop saying racist things. As we can't read minds we really have nothing more to go on than what they say. This was a flat out racist statement.

• Like 6

I like you @hogesar but if I had to put my house on who'd be the first person on here offering defence of Webber I'd have put it on you. You're forever giving him a benefit of the doubt he hasn't remotely earned.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Exactly. This isn't some 'woke lefties getting offended' stuff, it indicates a wider cultural problem in how people view young black men.

From a Webber perspective it also indicates a continued issue when it comes to dealing with the media. At this point he's either to stupid to realise the issue is with him or he's too stubborn to accept the issue and change. Either way it's been a problem he's had even when things were going well here and it's going to cost him career opportunities.

• Like 3

Webber managed to convince himself so throughly of his own genius that he cannot comprehend, even for a second, how incredibly disastrous his media work has been over the last couple of years.

He's completely tarnished his reputation, and severely damaged that of the board.

If I were the friends and family of those mentioned in this comment, I'd be absolutely livid, and potentially litigious. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly. This isn't some 'woke lefties getting offended' stuff, it indicates a wider cultural problem in how people view young black men.

From a Webber perspective it also indicates a continued issue when it comes to dealing with the media. At this point he's either to stupid to realise the issue is with him or he's too stubborn to accept the issue and change. Either way it's been a problem he's had even when things were going well here and it's going to cost him career opportunities.

We said essentially the same thing at almost the exact same time. Completely agree.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Well it seems the PinkUn has decided to interview him so I'd blame them if you don't want him hanging around...

My point is nothing more than he isn't racist, even if what he said could be perceived as such (it's not the only plausible perception, he could be relating it to systemic racism making it harder for them etc).

Ultimately I'm sure he'll have to apologise because as I said, the words could be taken as such. Of course the real answer would be not to have said it at all but we are obviously past that.

To be honest hoggy, he really has lost the plot, he is an embarrassing distraction . Whatever,  you think he meant , is really not important.  The reality is he is clueless in so many interviews and it's best he just goes to Everest. After that , I sincerely hope he stays away from anything Norwich City. He certainly is not a plus , him still hanging around not good PR for the club.

For someone who says in the same interview that actions speak louder than words, he really doesn't know when to shut up does he?

6 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I wonder what the something else is ?

Medical school ? law ? the civil service? tree surgery ?

My first thought would be a dead-end or low-skilled job. After all, many youngsters chasing the dream of professional football are often not that well-schooled and have spent a good chunk of their early years trying to hone their skills, or have their schooling somewhat moved around their training and football.

I think it's quite telling that Rowe made the observations he did about Norfolk being less problematic and IIRC I think Anton Ferdinand said as a youngster that for him it was going pro or potentially having a life of crime due to the limitations of the area he lived and grew up in.

My suspicion is that Webber was aiming for that, but that wasn't his call to make.

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

I like you @hogesar but if I had to put my house on who'd be the first person on here offering defence of Webber I'd have put it on you. You're forever giving him a benefit of the doubt he hasn't remotely earned.

I'm not defending him beyond the fact he categorically is not a racist. That is all I've offered as a defence. Anyone who's met him would surely testify to that, and his actions have consistently backed him up.

I cant really defend what be said because his incredibly poor use of words leave it up to interpretation. I can say what I think he meant by it but no more.

Why he wanted to give an interview? I assume publicity for work - obviously likely to have had the opposite effect. Why did the Pinkun want an interview? Clickbait - he could have said nothing and it'd still have generated a lot of conversations and traffic I suspect.

10 minutes ago, Mengo said:

To be honest hoggy, he really has lost the plot, he is an embarrassing distraction . Whatever,  you think he meant , is really not important.  The reality is he is clueless in so many interviews and it's best he just goes to Everest. After that , I sincerely hope he stays away from anything Norwich City. He certainly is not a plus , him still hanging around not good PR for the club.

Well I don't think he's really hanging around but if our local journalists want to interview him and he wants some free publicity its going to continue happening?

So a first view of this would be the following.

Webber tries to big himself up by saying he rescued a few lads from London gang crime! Two, Lewis and Aarons, always struck me as the nicest of home counties suburban lads. I'm glad their parents have reacted as they have, it really was a criticism of them too! Then we have Rowe, who every other Insta post seems to quote biblical parables and thanks God for his life today (total anathema to me personally), he really doesn't strike me as ever being in trouble of breaking the law. I don't have enough evidence to comment on the other players.

Yet, Webber responsible for the care and transition to manhood of 3 of these ostensibly responsible and seemingly intelligent young men, feels he can make himself seem a saviour by totally disregarding their backgrounds. This underpins my historical view of him trying to make himself look better than he really is by using the efforts of others to build a narrative that he is "super, super," good! Which he isn't, he just got lucky (especially as I've said before about Colney!). And don't forget The Summit Foundation is a creation of his partner's realisation that preparing for a climb up Everest whilst being paid handsomely to deliver success at a very public role looks a tad indulgent! 

On the other hand:

I  trust that Webber was aware that everything he said in his chat with Paddy could end up in print, otherwise it could lead to accusations of a stitch up and relations between the club and the Pink 'Un could hit a new low. One could also ask where was the challenge from Paddy on that statement. Fair cop if Webber meant what he was saying, he gets all he deserves, but if he was encouraged to say things in a more informal setting then a reaction from the club could lead to an unfortunate break down in club and journo relations. Just what we need in this promotion push. 

Thankfully it is an international break. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I'm not defending him beyond the fact he categorically is not a racist. That is all I've offered as a defence. Anyone who's met him would surely testify to that, and his actions have consistently backed him up.

I cant really defend what be said because his incredibly poor use of words leave it up to interpretation. I can say what I think he meant by it but no more.

Why he wanted to give an interview? I assume publicity for work - obviously likely to have had the opposite effect. Why did the Pinkun want an interview? Clickbait - he could have said nothing and it'd still have generated a lot of conversations and traffic I suspect.

How many times have you actually met him Hoggy to actually know the person? I am not saying he is racist, but what he said comes across as being racist. My point is you have to know someone really well to make a judgement on them. We have all made bad judgements of people I expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kirku said:

Webber managed to convince himself so throughly of his own genius that he cannot comprehend, even for a second, how incredibly disastrous his media work has been over the last couple of years.

He's completely tarnished his reputation, and severely damaged that of the board.

If I were the friends and family of those mentioned in this comment, I'd be absolutely livid, and potentially litigious. 

Indeed but haven't you forgotten how 'wonderful' he was and how 'we begged him to stay'!! 

I met Jamal as a 17 year old when he was lodging with a friend of mine. He was absolutely delightful. 

What a stupid thing to say. Doesn't say much for the Norwich Soul Church if it turns out Christians like Webber. 

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

How many times have you actually met him Hoggy to actually know the person? I am not saying he is racist, but what he said comes across as being racist. My point is you have to know someone really well to make a judgement on them. We have all made bad judgements of people I expect.

Only a few, but even the players he mentioned would tell you he isn't a racist, despite not being happy with what he said I'm sure. I completely understand hour point about how it comes across.

• Like 1

It's a fantastic contribution from the players to a former, respected colleague currently focusing on worthwhile charity work.

But while the comments may be clumsy it is indicative of a sub conscious prejudice  in his belief systems.

Well done on the fund raising  but I'm happy he is bo longer at the club.

Imagine being stupid enough to back Stuart Webber

He’s a loser and it turns out he’s one of those “I’ve got loads of black friends” racists as well, who knew.

Delia and Michael backed this guy to the hilt.

Considered his words gospel, treated him like family.

thats the kind of judge of character they are, they’ve become a huge hinderance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1