Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Bali Mumba

12 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Remember when several fans on here wailed that selling Bali Mumba was a disastrous decision to sell our greatest young asset? 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/expensive-plymouth-argyle-recruit-is-failing-to-live-up-to-the-hype-view/

What another example that the coaching staff and manager at Norwich know more about a player than a bunch of posters on the Pink’un- surely not!!

• Like 5

It’s interesting how this one has taken a bit of a backseat since our form returned…but the law of sod suggests he’ll play and have a blinder against us.

Posted (edited)

The problem with Mumba is that before this season started he’d only ever made a few appearances in the Championship. Although McCallum was still poor at the start this season, he’s had two season-long Championship loans in the past

Edited by HazzaJet

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s interesting how this one has taken a bit of a backseat since our form returned…but the law of sod suggests he’ll play and have a blinder against us.

Suspended for our game

• Haha 1

Had we a fully fit squad he wouldn't even make our bench. It's looking a good piece of business now, but fair play to the lad for making the move.

• Like 1

He’s a good player. Would have been useful to retain here, had we been able. Alas it wasn’t to be. He certainly hasn’t lived up to Plymouth’s hopes for much of this season, but he’s young and he’ll have a good career. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, S_81 said:

He’s a good player. Would have been useful to retain here, had we been able. Alas it wasn’t to be. He certainly hasn’t lived up to Plymouth’s hopes for much of this season, but he’s young and he’ll have a good career. 

The problem is he's a wing back, considers himself a wing back, and then we've let him go because we don't play wing backs.

Only... we sort of have started playing wing backs, what is Stacey if he isn't a wing back? Particularly when Fassnacht comes on and we go really narrow.

Schumacher then leaves Plymouth, Ian Foster has come in and he's struggled to find a working system and has used numerous formations including 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1, sometimes a wing back system. 

Just a case of a player struggling to adapt to a new managers style, or a manager struggling to find a style which suits the squad he has. Really no different to Max Aarons looking half the player under Dean Smith.

Mumba is still only 22.

Personally I think £1m will still prove cheap, and he'll end up going to a bigger Championship side, but I can't see him being one who hugely embarrasses us with a £20m move to Palace or something. More likely a £3m move to Middlesbrough.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Football Leauge World? No thanks

Put up an article from a reputable news source which discourages this view then…. 

• Like 1

Fans reading garbage journalism again I see.     Not all facts are considered here... As Chris Sutton would say 'Yer better than that!'

Firstly, as the article says, he was undroppable under Schumacher (he wasn't) but Plymouth and he were doing perfectly well.   The new manager is the problem, the fans are not happy with him at all.   Every player is struggling including Whittaker as the team just aren't functioning.   Their fans are frustrated with it all at the minute.    

34 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Indeed our under 21’s needed a bit of strengthening.

I wasn’t that bothered by him going and you can argue stacy has had a better season 

Last year he was playing in a side that won 66% of its games, this year he's playing for a side that has won roughly 25%. Most players will be made to look better/worse than they are depending on the quality of the team they're in. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, repman said:

Last year he was playing in a side that won 66% of its games, this year he's playing for a side that has won roughly 25%. Most players will be made to look better/worse than they are depending on the quality of the team they're in. 

And the division they’re playing in which I suspect is the biggest point 

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

Hes an average player that for some reason turned you apoplectic when he sold as he wanted first team football, and we preferred Rowe.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hes an average player that for some reason turned you apoplectic when he sold as he wanted first team football, and we preferred Rowe.

Hoggy I keep saying to you - he’s a left wing-back / left-winger. He was never competing with Rowe. He was competing with Dimi/Sam/Sainz/Placheta. He’s clearly not a better option than Sainz. He is certainly better than Placheta. Dimi is a better defender. It’s arguable Sam is. There’s times this season when he would have been useful. But if he wanted to leave and they wanted to sell him then it is what it is. But I still think 1m will look bad value in the long run. 

50 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It had nothing to do with Rowe.

He was let go because Wagner rated Kellen Fisher.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Hoggy I keep saying to you - he’s a left wing-back / left-winger. He was never competing with Rowe. He was competing with Dimi/Sam/Sainz/Placheta. He’s clearly not a better option than Sainz. He is certainly better than Placheta. Dimi is a better defender. It’s arguable Sam is. There’s times this season when he would have been useful. But if he wanted to leave and they wanted to sell him then it is what it is. But I still think 1m will look bad value in the long run. 

Another reason why he's struggled this season, hasn't had a consistent position (see image below), unlike last season where he was mostly used as a left wing back. He can play on either side, however Wagner made the decision to sanction the move as he was happy with Kellen Fisher, so I guess that he was seen as in contention for our right side rather than left.

Is a bit awkward though that we've got 2 left backs who are out of contract in the summer though! Hope their replacements, assuming they are released, don't make us miss Mumba! 

960504396_Screenshot2024-03-19234411.png.4df90adccf8a6e5c80fe25b92330928c.png

• Like 1

The logic was that Fisher was a better prospect, despite having only played non league before. I don’t think that worked out either to be fair. I am surprised Mumba hasn’t kicked on for Plymouth though. Given his previous season with them (albeit in L1), I don’t think that was really an outcome anyone predicted. 

• Like 1

It's starting to look as if Schumacher's move to Stoke has been bad for everyone: Schumacher himself, Plymouth, Stoke and Mumba. It might mean all of them are in League 1 next season.

12 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

The problem is he's a wing back, considers himself a wing back, and then we've let him go because we don't play wing backs.

Only... we sort of have started playing wing backs, what is Stacey if he isn't a wing back? Particularly when Fassnacht comes on and we go really narrow.

Schumacher then leaves Plymouth, Ian Foster has come in and he's struggled to find a working system and has used numerous formations including 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1, sometimes a wing back system. 

Just a case of a player struggling to adapt to a new managers style, or a manager struggling to find a style which suits the squad he has. Really no different to Max Aarons looking half the player under Dean Smith.

Mumba is still only 22.

Personally I think £1m will still prove cheap, and he'll end up going to a bigger Championship side, but I can't see him being one who hugely embarrasses us with a £20m move to Palace or something. More likely a £3m move to Middlesbrough.

He's 5ft 5.  There are very few players of that height in the Premier League or Championship. I'm sure he's talented but he's not talented enough to make up for being a defensive liability. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Fans reading garbage journalism again I see.     Not all facts are considered here... As Chris Sutton would say 'Yer better than that!'

Firstly, as the article says, he was undroppable under Schumacher (he wasn't) but Plymouth and he were doing perfectly well.   The new manager is the problem, the fans are not happy with him at all.   Every player is struggling including Whittaker as the team just aren't functioning.   Their fans are frustrated with it all at the minute.    

You're the person that banged on for post after post saying we should purposely spend several years in the Championship developing a squad of young talent 🤣🤣

10 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

It had nothing to do with Rowe.

He was let go because Wagner rated Kellen Fisher.

10 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Another reason why he's struggled this season, hasn't had a consistent position (see image below), unlike last season where he was mostly used as a left wing back. He can play on either side, however Wagner made the decision to sanction the move as he was happy with Kellen Fisher, so I guess that he was seen as in contention for our right side rather than left.

Is a bit awkward though that we've got 2 left backs who are out of contract in the summer though! Hope their replacements, assuming they are released, don't make us miss Mumba! 

960504396_Screenshot2024-03-19234411.png.4df90adccf8a6e5c80fe25b92330928c.png

He has predominantly played left wing because that is where coaches deem his best position (speak to any of the current NCFC coaching staff) and even Plymouth accepted it helped negate his obvious defensive flaws.

So yes, Rowe was a totally relevant thought process, as well as Sainz, for how much first team football Mumba was going to get - and he himself wanted to play every week.

12 hours ago, Yobocop said:

I wasn’t that bothered by him going and you can argue stacy has had a better season 

Argue? It’s undeniable, Stacey has been great, especially recently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

You're the person that banged on for post after post saying we should purposely spend several years in the Championship developing a squad of young talent 🤣🤣

How is this comment from you relevant in any way to what I said?    

And get your facts right.   I argued developing a capable squad and playing philosophy of the right talent types and that would include young talent.... and I argued it with valid facts and reasoning.     I remain of that view and stand by it, we could do much better.   You're happy to flit between leagues being competitive one year / getting thumped the next / struggling to find form / cohesion / quality entertainment the next..... that's the cycle.    If you're happy with that, crack on - enjoy.    Personally, I am not happy with our last Prem season or the subsequent seasons in the Championship, its generally been an unenjoyable time (including most of this one).    I am entitled to my own views however, I have conviction in them and they are always justified by explanation.   You struggle to understand but I can't do anything about your level of interpretation.    

... and I do recall, you're the person that generally mis-interpreted what I had said for your own agenda, as your responses clearly showed then and that's evident based on this senseless post.    You don't come across as particularly clever.

21 hours ago, hogesar said:

He has predominantly played left wing because that is where coaches deem his best position (speak to any of the current NCFC coaching staff) and even Plymouth accepted it helped negate his obvious defensive flaws.

So yes, Rowe was a totally relevant thought process, as well as Sainz, for how much first team football Mumba was going to get - and he himself wanted to play every week.

Why do I need to "speak to any of the current NCFC coaching staff", or indeed listen to some bloke on a forum, when Wagner himself literally told us this 6 days after Mumba was sold?

https://www.pinkun.com/news/23681062.norwich-city-wagner-kellen-fisher-impact-bali-mumba-sale/

On 19/03/2024 at 22:39, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd have him here now as back up to Stacey ahead of Fisher...

I mean I think Fisher will be better in the future but why we thought someone who's only played in non leuage would improve our defence I don't know