Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Bali Mumba

24 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Conversely, you could also make the argument that we sold Aarons too late, and we definitely missed the boat re. Cantwell.

Sure you can, although I think those calculations obviously change when you're talking fee's of £20m+ like we were with those players, rather than the £1m we sold Mumba for.

26 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It really is marvellous what we find to argue about during international breaks. 

Here's my opinion on Bali Mumba:

I have no opinion on Bali Mumba.

What do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre? I'll be honest, I'm dead against it.

27 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It really is marvellous what we find to argue about during international breaks. 

Here's my opinion on Bali Mumba:

I have no opinion on Bali Mumba.

Let me get this straight.

You're on this message board - this message board!!! - where well educated (allegedly) grown adults can argue back and forth all day long about whether or not we were right to sell Bali Mumba to Plymouth for £1 million.

And you've got "no opinion".

Seriously - what the hell are you doing here???? 😉

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Conversely, you could also make the argument that we sold Aarons too late, and we definitely missed the boat re. Cantwell.

I may be going against the grain here, but I feel that we got good value from Aarons.  Success through holding on to players can yield prem league money.  Of which we received two handfuls of.

As I see it, Every players value increases when the team is performing well.  IMO, We are more likely to devalue players worth by allowing the average level to drop.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I may be going against the grain here, but I feel that we got good value from Aarons.  Success through holding on to players can yield prem league money.  Of which we received two handfuls of.

As I see it, Every players value increases when the team is performing well.  IMO, We are more likely to devalue players worth by allowing the average level to drop.

Agree in essence, but knowing what we do about Wagner and Mumba after Fisher's rise, and that Plymouth were the only team sniffing at him, I think there's a strong argument that Mumba had potentially reached his ceiling with us at that point. Aarons was a case where you could potentially make an argument that we didn't do too badly with the fee, but he didn't have too long on his contract IIRC so we were never quite going to maximise the profit on him.

This essentially boils down to an opinion on one side that is of the view that Mumba could have really kicked on, whilst the others think he had a few too many weaknesses that couldn't quite counter his obvious talents in possession, and didn't really fit any one position quite right to boot. I suppose only time will really tell, but at the moment it's looking a good call.

Think the acid test for Mumba's happening after Schumacher's gone to be honest - does he adapt well to a different manager playing a bit differently?

Edited by TheGunnShow

4 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I don't know what happened in the years which have fallen in between the times when I considered you to be one of the more mature, logical, and rational and evidence-based posters on this forum when I last used to read it daily, to the version that I seem to encounter today who writes off new players after six weeks, but he has consistently made reference him seeing Mumba has a full back.

This was two months earlier, in May 2023:

I dont "write off new players after six weeks"

But I can form an opinion on one based on what we've seen so far, particularly when it's a pretty obvious one.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I really struggle with this idea to be honest.

He's 22, last season he was young player of the season in League One in his first full season as a starter. The season before this happened we decided he was worth a new four year deal.

Assuming this is from Sofascore, that would be more than all but 4 of our players.

Sure but I don't think not being a great finisher is enough to write him off as bang average.

I can see tools with him- he's quick, he's got good touch, he'll take players on and he's comfortable on the ball. That, with the addition of positional flexibility and the fact he's still less than 100 games into his career and has significant room for improvement makes him someone we should be hanging on to. Worst case scenario is he didn't kick on and we've missed out on a relatively small fee. Best case is he built on a great season in League One and we have another £10m+ player on our hands. To me that is a much more worthwhile gamble than keeping Onel for another year blind alleys or Placheta to run very fast in a straight line for no reason.

I'd say you're barmy, unrealistic and don't have a clue but I thought Tzolis was a chubby waste of squad space and now apparently Bayern f*cking Munich want him so f*ck knows.

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

What do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre? I'll be honest, I'm dead against it.

I find the argument about delivery access to Dixons' irrefutable, personally

21 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I'm really stumped on this one. 

Fassnacht - minutes played 1656 - Goals scored 6.

Mumba - minutes played - 2378 - Goals scored 2.

Impossible to decide based on those stats..............................🤣🤣

Surely this is too simplistic a comparison.  Sometimes you need someone to unsettle defenses

4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Surely this is too simplistic a comparison.  Sometimes you need someone to unsettle defenses

Sure - goals scored isn't the whole story - but as I said earlier in the the thread it is the single most important metric for assessing the performance of an attacking player. 

I think Mumba has got a couple of assists this season and I don't think Fassnacht has any, but even if you add Mumba's goals and assists together it's still less than Fassnacht in quite a lot more minutes played. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2024 at 21:37, ged in the onion bag said:

Fans reading garbage journalism again I see.     Not all facts are considered here... As Chris Sutton would say 'Yer better than that!'

Firstly, as the article says, he was undroppable under Schumacher (he wasn't) but Plymouth and he were doing perfectly well.   The new manager is the problem, the fans are not happy with him at all.   Every player is struggling including Whittaker as the team just aren't functioning.   Their fans are frustrated with it all at the minute.    

As long as they’re dazed and confused until 5pm on the 29th is all that matters.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sure - goals scored isn't the whole story - but as I said earlier in the the thread it is the single most important metric for assessing the performance of an attacking player. 

I think Mumba has got a couple of assists this season and I don't think Fassnacht has any, but even if you add Mumba's goals and assists together it's still less than Fassnacht in quite a lot more minutes played. 

Fassnacht is a strange one. Most of the time he looks very pedestrian, but he has a habit of turning up in the right place at the right time. In that sense, he reminds me of Dowell. You watched the game and he seemed ineffectual; you watched the highlights and somehow he was featured in a lot of our best moves.

Fassnacht's record could still just be luck. But if it continues to happen, it can't be. 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2024 at 16:46, Google Bot said:

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Fassnacht is a strange one. Most of the time he looks very pedestrian,

I am dead against the pedestrianisation of Norwich City midfield

• Haha 1