Canarywary

Hugill and other former players in with our fans

Other people may also have heard on the commentary for Saturday's match, that apparently Jordan Hugill was sat in amoung our fans for the Middlesboro match. Love that! I know Maddison also did this for at least one match when he was at Leicester and we played Wolves, along with another player I think, but I forget who, maybe Ruddy? Anyone else know any other examples of former players showing this lasting allegiance to us?

• Like 1

I remember being just behind Hucks at an away game once. But I suspect that was when he was still with us and injured.

Posted (edited)

Still always annoyed me the way many in this fanbase treated Hugill. Sure he's not exactly the greatest striker the world has ever seen but he clearly always gave it his all and always loved getting to play, nevermind how he clearly was a big personality behind the scenes. There's a reason Farke said he was one of the reasons we got promoted.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I remember being just behind Hucks at an away game once. But I suspect that was when he was still with us and injured.

Hucks has definitely been in the away end post retirement. S****horpe away in Lamberts Championship season if I recall correctly, was one such occasion.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

6 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Apparently ScuN thorpe is offensive 😅

have you never been there?

• Haha 3

Not a footballer and not Norwich, but I was sat next to Jarvis Cocker for a West Ham v Sheff Wed match once.  That’s all I have.

Wasn’t Hucks in with the fans in the play-off final? Seem to have a memory of the camera panning to him once. 

Hucks still does stuff on the corporate hospitality side for the club so no surprise he attends some matches.

I remember Delia and Michael taking their places in the away end at Watford during one promotion year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I remember Delia and Michael taking their places in the away end at Watford during one promotion year.

Yes I also remember a game when Delia was in the away end, it a game in the NW though so not Watford.  I'm getting old and it'll probably come back to me which game it was in a few hours or days !

50 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Other people may also have heard on the commentary for Saturday's match, that apparently Jordan Hugill was sat in amoung our fans for the Middlesboro match. Love that! I know Maddison also did this for at least one match when he was at Leicester and we played Wolves, along with another player I think, but I forget who, maybe Ruddy? Anyone else know any other examples of former players showing this lasting allegiance to us?

I’d forgotten which match it was, definitely in the Midlands somewhere, but Madders, Ruddy and possibly Steve Morison were there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes I also remember a game when Delia was in the away end, it a game in the NW though so not Watford.  I'm getting old and it'll probably come back to me which game it was in a few hours or days !

It used to happen fairly frequently didn’t it?

50 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Credit to Hugill in that case, he never really established himself with us enough to be a favourite with the fans.

Maddison won major brownie points when we were playing Leicester and when their player was down injured we put the ball out  and the throw in went to one of their players, everyone was standing back expecting him to pass it back to us, but he hadn't got the message and started running on goal, Hanley realised and had to foul him on the edge of the box. 

This was in front of us away fans who were understandably irate and fortunately Maddison took over the free kick and passed it back to our GK.  So major brownie points for Maddison, while they winger was solidly booed from then on and ended up being subbed off not long after.

Not a footballer but we were once graced with the presence of the worlds most famous Norwich City fan. 

The inventor of the podcast, the man who single handedly turned F1 into a billion pound sport, the face behind all of Sky Sports success, probably the greatest human being to ever walk planet earth…. Sir Jake Humphrey. 

The whole stand bowed as he made his way to his seat, the stewards spent 90 minutes fighting off hoards of middle aged women clamouring for his autograph, spotty teenagers were queuing up & down the terraces to seek some advice on how to become as great as he is - or at least that’s probably his version of events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still always annoyed me the way many in this fanbase treated Hugill. Sure he's not exactly the greatest striker the world has ever seen but he clearly always gave it his all and always loved getting to play, nevermind how he clearly was a big personality behind the scenes. There's a reason Farke said he was one of the reasons we got promoted.

It's a reflection of some of our 'fans' rather than the player himself.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

....just because someone might lump him one!!!👍

nooooooo...for his insightful unbiased opinions on the game

Edited by Peregrine Shorts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not a footballer and not Norwich, but I was sat next to Jarvis Cocker for a West Ham v Sheff Wed match once.  That’s all I have.

Did he ask you for a fag? He always does that when we meet, but I have to keep reminding him "I've never ****ing smoked you thick four eyed git!" He always laughs.

That is true by the way. 

Edited by shefcanary

Also, regularly meet Jon Newsome & Wayne Biggins in the boozers which we mutually frequent here in Sheffield, mulling over the past at the Carra' before my Blades supporting friends start taking the **** out of us. "Canaries!" they shout loudly in high pitched voices to drown out our conversations. How we laugh.

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Did he ask you for a fag? He always does that when we meet, but I have to keep reminding him "I've never ****ing smoked you thick four eyed git!" He always laughs.

That is true by the way. 

Does he still live in Sheffield?

Just now, Satriales said:

Does he still live in Sheffield?

No, he lives a little way out in a cottage in the Hope Valley in the Peak District, but close enough to the main Manchester - Sheffield railway line that he can easily get to either in 20 minutes, so I bump into him when he is out in Sheffield.

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Apparently ScuN thorpe is offensive 😅

Reminds me of a memorable anecdote in Harry Pearson's book The Far Corner. Darlington vs. S-c-u-n-thorpe. Think it was Matty Carmichael who hit an equaliser for Scunny and one Darlo fan was heard to shout "Typhoo put the T in Britain, you put the c**t in S-c-u-n-thorpe!"

3 hours ago, Canarywary said:

Maddison also did this for at least one match when he was at Leicester and we played Wolves, along with another player I think, but I forget who, maybe Ruddy?

Ryan Bennett

Hucks still has 3 or 4 season tickets in the South Stand, I don't see him much since he's been doing the hospitality on match days. 

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’d forgotten which match it was, definitely in the Midlands somewhere, but Madders, Ruddy and possibly Steve Morison were there.

They were at a match away against Frank lampards derby. Certainly Madison and ruddy. It couldn't been that one. Midweek. Think it finished 1-1 with 2 late goals

• Like 1