Posted (edited)

Right ,i'll start it. Please,Mr.Wagner, give him a fair run in this position. He deserves it. Better than Hanley. There,said it.

Edited by mannings bandy legs
  • Like 5

****e opposition today. Defence hardly tested, yet lungis folk hero status evolves to insane levels.

That's said it.

Yes but we play Hanley and we completely cave in against a Middlesboro team playing poorly up to the point of the sending off.

I fear Hanley, as good a servant as hes been, is the past, and we need to freshen up the defence and look to the future without him.

As captain, his job was to rally the team after the sending off, and we went to pieces. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

****e opposition today. Defence hardly tested, yet lungis folk hero status evolves to insane levels.

That's said it.

Hanley is so poor. Middsbro were absolute cr#p. Get real. One of our worst defenders ever. Only thing he's mastered in his time here,is the falling over with the slightest touch. Which he probably did'nt suss himself,or he would have done it years ago.

7 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

When’s Duffy due back?

Not sure, but it wasn't supposed to be far away. He's certainly fit enough for the local pubs..

Nice to see a centre-half score a header from a corner. Lungi did bloody well with that one - he's running away from goal and flicked it back stick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nice to see a centre-half score a header from a corner. Lungi did bloody well with that one - he's running away from goal and flicked it back stick.

Unlike 50 pence head Hanley.

27 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Hanley is so poor. Middsbro were absolute cr#p. Get real. One of our worst defenders ever. Only thing he's mastered in his time here,is the falling over with the slightest touch. Which he probably did'nt suss himself,or he would have done it years ago.

Exactly what I said after the Boro game. OK so a certain G Holt had said trait as well but he was a far better player than Hanley has ever been. 

Looked like a practiced set piece move to me, as it was remarkably similar to Gibson's goal at Anfield in the cup.

3 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

Looked like a practiced set piece move to me, as it was remarkably similar to Gibson's goal at Anfield in the cup.

Isn't every set piece?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What even the ones that fly over everyone's head and go out for a throw-in on the far side?

OK, perhaps I meant a practiced set piece that worked twice in 3 months!

Edited by Addick/Canary

Posted (edited)

Thought lungi did have a good game; dealt with the aerial threat from strikers bigger than him well, read the ball well; covered both left and right side but was most impressive with his use of the ball, crisp certain without taking 5 touches.

The caveat of course is that it was only Rotherham who looked a lot worse than their league position.   But as with kenny it shows the importance of having good ball playing cbs.

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

What even the ones that fly over everyone's head and go out for a throw-in on the far side?

I was only joking, I knew what you meant. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

When’s Duffy due back?

He's the one who I'd pick beside Gibson with everyone fit.

I suspect Grant Hanley is still getting back up to full speed after injury. He's been great for us  over several seasons but you wonder how many more injuries he can come back from and be good enough for what we need.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

One thing good footballers have is timing. It's not a coincidence that despite Hanley getting his head to hundreds of balls in the box, he'd never score a goal like that. Good, old fashioned stopper but I feel thegame is leaving players like that behind. I hope Sorensen and McCallum are being lined up for new contracts. 

• Like 5

Sorensen had a really good game but it was also a perfect game for him.

The problem we have is with Gini at LB we can't afford to have 2 players in our back 4 who can't really win aerial duels. Sorensen lost out on a few today but it was fine because they have no quality.

That being said, for certain opponents he could be ideal.

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

New 5-year contract, please.

Worth every penny, just like Idah.

Surely seeing how well Adam is doing surely it seems like very shrewd business, although it does seem to have made our current attacking options a little weaker for the run in - he is worth Millions.

Sorenson did what he was asked to do, which he almost always does. There's no need to make him an unsung hero, but equally there's no need to get sniffy about him because he doesn't shine and go beyond fit for purpose. He's a very useful utility player, which would make me support a new contract for him as long as he is happy to continue in that role. He adds a calm and a higher level of technical ability on the ground when he is in the team.

I agree with what people are saying about his headed goal. Hanley tends to head a ball in the opposition's penalty area exactly as he does in his own - flat, with the top of the head, to make it rise and go over the bar. Not his fault - that's his training and what he has to do for most of every game. Muscle memory and all that.

• Like 2

he was ok but still not sharp on the ball and a bit sloppy

I think this was more a lets rest Hanley when we can match

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

One thing good footballers have is timing. It's not a coincidence that despite Hanley getting his head to hundreds of balls in the box, he'd never score a goal like that. Good, old fashioned stopper but I feel thegame is leaving players like that behind. I hope Sorensen and McCallum are being lined up for new contracts. 

I'm sure that McCallum will get a new contract if we fail to go up because he's cheaper than keeping Giannoulis, who will clearly be for the chopping block to cut the wage bill unless we sneak up through the play offs.

But people are getting way too excited about Sorenson looking good against the team in 24th who have 19 fewer points than the team in 23rd, who have just lost their 9th game in a row and haven't won a game since 26th December.

Yes Sorenson looks good against opposition who are firmly League One quality. Looks like a complete passenger in many games against Championship quality opposition, and that's when he's fit which is not very often. For me he's one we say goodbye too, these flashes of quality are all too fleeting, been here 4 years and not done much at all. He's the defensive midfield version of Placheta, an eternal prospect based on some fleeting moments of quality and a few attributes which tell us that he should on paper be good, but for whatever reason just isn't.

New contract if he's cheap as a squad filler, on the basis of him being able to cover a few positions in a squad that will inevitably be thin due to budget constraints if we don't go up perhaps, but we'll be in serious trouble if he's one of our best XI players next season. He'd be a good first team player for Rotherham though, I'll give you that.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rotherham had 2 shots today. 0 on target.

We could have played our under 15's and I feel those stats would have still been about the same

Well perhaps that says something about our defence then no?

When did you last see Hanley score from a header?

12 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I am in no way supportive of Hanley. Lol, just find our fans obsession with lungi hilarious

McLean - Lungi centre-half pairing, anyone? Might work if the opposition team haven't got overly tall strikers, and you've got the left foot/right foot combo.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

McLean - Lungi centre-half pairing, anyone? Might work if the opposition team haven't got overly tall strikers, and you've got the left foot/right foot combo.

If there was ever a coach who'd pick a team with no central defenders in it, it's Wagner. This isn't even a criticism.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If there was ever a coach who'd pick a team with no central defenders in it, it's Wagner. This isn't even a criticism.

With a more traditional full-back, I'd be well-up for giving that a go, personally.