Ulfotto

A Hill you would die on. Norwich City

What are your Norwich city opinions or views you would die on and can’t be swayed on regardless of reason or logic.

My current one is that the board inaction in this January transfer window has potentially cost us our best chance of promotion for years to come.

From years gone by that Paul McVeigh was as important as Darren Huckerby.

5 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

What are your Norwich city opinions or views you would die on and can’t be swayed on regardless of reason or logic.

My current one is that the board inaction in this January transfer window has potentially cost us our best chance of promotion for years to come.

I hate Ipswich. Nothing will ever shift that . Nothing I tells ya. 

• Like 7

We could do with a Mike Milligan in midfield. But my main trope is if we had bought Ian Dowie in on loan in 93, we would of won the football league, and that literally was the only chance we will get in our history to secure that prize. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Corbs1 said:

But my main trope is if we had bought Ian Dowie in on loan in 93, we would of won the football league

This is very strong. Unlikely to be beaten on this thread, I'd say.

• Like 1

All we needed that year, with injuries impacting on our squad, up against the biggest clubs, was a loan player, Dowie was available, and even a handful of goals would of been enough (maybe), he wasn’t prolific but always got goals. 

5 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

We could do with a Mike Milligan in midfield. But my main trope is if we had bought Ian Dowie in on loan in 93, we would of won the football league, and that literally was the only chance we will get in our history to secure that prize. 

along the same lines, i will always believe if we kept Scott Howie in 1994 we would have stayed up and our last 30 years would have been very very different.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

If we'd have signed Mike Newell instead of Dean Coney we'd have won the double 5 years earlier 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

This is very strong. Unlikely to be beaten on this thread, I'd say.

Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds Stingray Aquaphibian Full Studio Scale Puppet  KIT | #695435171...........................Dowie, Iain Dowie - Footballer | BDFutbol

IAN DOWIE....                                                             AQUAPHIBIAN FROM STINGRAY

24 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

And if Chase hadnt broken us by buying buildings and land instead of players we would have kept our Premier League status. Anyone like to work out how much those 10 lost years cost us? 

• Like 1

As things are so slow in progression regarding MA an' Co.....it won't be a hill......it'll be a baseball pitcher's mound we'll die on.....

57 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

3 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Big Keith Scott was quality.

LOL

53 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I hate Ipswich. Nothing will ever shift that . Nothing I tells ya. 

Snap.

1 hour ago, Corbs1 said:

Crying out for one, but Webber went out and bought a load of lardy but genial Harry Secombes instead!

1 hour ago, Corbs1 said:

1 hour ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

along the same lines, i will always believe if we kept Scott Howie in 1994 we would have stayed up and our last 30 years would have been very very different.

They both still live locally, could still do a job

Bringing Daryl Sutch on in the play off final cost us the game and promotion at Cardiff 2002.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, mccanary said:

Bringing Daryl Sutch on in the play off final cost us the game and promotion at Cardiff 2002.

Nearly 400 games for the club barely a memorable moment within them. Then one chance one opportunity and he missed. Probably the most. Norwich thing of all time.

• Like 5

That Kevin Drinkell was one of our best ever strikers. And had one of the hardest shots and genuinely you felt he might score from a corner each time we got one. 

Happy days under Ken Brown and the precursor to football played the Norwich way later under Walker.

Of course we have had some great coaches since too. Not forgetting Williams and Stringer. 

But yeh, Drinkell.

• Like 1

I think we could survive in the prem league even within the self sufficient model.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

That Delia & Michael became a hindrance to the club once they were unable/unwilling to spend on Farke's first promotion.  

We had an exciting, young core to that squad which needed some experienced heads to help them take the next step. That we only added a reserve keeper, an injury prone full back and a forgettable cdm was basically us waving the white flag.  Giving us the chance of a couple of seasons I'm the PL would have increased the ultimate values of players like Aarons and Cantwell and would have hopefully seen us able to reinvest that and progress in a similar vein to Brighton etc.

No hand wringing from the usual suspects will ever change that.

• Like 1

We'd have gone down in the 2nd Farke season even if we'd paid Emi a bazillion £/pw and had him for that year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If we'd have signed Mike Newell instead of Dean Coney we'd have won the double 5 years earlier 

We all, rightly, look back at 92/93 with fond memories.

But that 88/89 team came just as close to glory and was being tipped as an unlikely double contender at one time.

And there's my hill. That was our best ever season, side and squad.

Edited by Old Shuck
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I always liked Mark Fotheringham

I wonder if anybody ever had Fotheringhams name on the back of their replica shirt? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

That Delia & Michael became a hindrance to the club once they were unable/unwilling to spend on Farke's first promotion.  

We had an exciting, young core to that squad which needed some experienced heads to help them take the next step. That we only added a reserve keeper, an injury prone full back and a forgettable cdm was basically us waving the white flag.  Giving us the chance of a couple of seasons I'm the PL would have increased the ultimate values of players like Aarons and Cantwell and would have hopefully seen us able to reinvest that and progress in a similar vein to Brighton etc.

No hand wringing from the usual suspects will ever change that.

I half hope Leeds go up, spend £100 million quid on players and then finish bottom, just so this nonsense about Farke having no responsibility over those top flight campaigns can be put to bed.

I loved Farke while he was here, but this rewriting of history seemingly giving him all the credit for the promotion campaigns while giving all the blame to Webber for the ones that followed I find tiresome 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

We'd have gone down in the 2nd Farke season even if we'd paid Emi a bazillion £/pw and had him for that year.

Probably, didn’t make it any less stupid.

Mine would be touting our best players for sale on promotion and then selling our star player pretty much guaranteeing relegation before a ball was kicked, and that was then the catalyst for everything that happened that season and after. 

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I half hope Leeds go up, spend £100 million quid on players and then finish bottom, just so this nonsense about Farke having no responsibility over those top flight campaigns can be put to bed.

I loved Farke while he was here, but this rewriting of history seemingly giving him all the credit for the promotion campaigns while giving all the blame to Webber for the ones that followed I find tiresome 

Why’s everything black and white? I don’t see many people (well maybe Lakey) thinking Farke was completely blameless, doesn’t change the fact he was given a pile of **** and asked to bake a cake.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I wonder if anybody ever had Fotheringhams name on the back of their replica shirt? 

I believe that Mrs Fotheringham did ......