astro

How many points do we need?

33 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Although dangerous talk I also struggle to see how we don’t make the playoffs now. Swansea and Bristol have little to play for. 

Its an FYI that Hull play Coventry and perhaps more interesting for us Southampton still have to play Leicester which looked like a dead rubber a few weeks ago but now could draw Southampton right back into the automatic promotion picture.

Southampton also play 3 times before the binners and 7/9 points from those games would see them back in the mix 

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Although dangerous talk I also struggle to see how we don’t make the playoffs now. Swansea and Bristol have little to play for. 

Its an FYI that Hull play Coventry and perhaps more interesting for us Southampton still have to play Leicester which looked like a dead rubber a few weeks ago but now could draw Southampton right back into the automatic promotion picture.

Whereas those at the top, this weekend lost to teams 'who had little to play for'.

We need one win from our last three games, so if we fail (as v Weds) I doubt we will lose all three.  I don't see Hull winning their remaining four as many on here believe. It's a case of probability over mathematically.

If Hull only win three of those four, and we win one of our three its us in 6th. The question though is what points WBA will finish on and will out current form see us overhaul them ?

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

Whereas those at the top, this weekend lost to teams 'who had little to play for'.

We need one win from our last three games, so if we fail (as v Weds) I doubt we will lose all three.  I don't see Hull winning their remaining four as many on here believe. It's a case of probability over mathematically.

If Hull only win three of those four, and we win one of our three its us in 6th. The question though is what points WBA will finish on and will out current form see us overhaul them ?

I maybe interpreting this wrong but Plymouth and Blackburn are in a relegation fight if they had lost those games and Middlesbrough must feel they could nick a play off place at least yesterday.  Exactly the sort of games you don’t want.

If you could pick two fixtures at home for these two matches it would be two mid table teams not involved in a relegation scrap or promotion push and that what we have. 

Bristol City are very inconsistent but this season have done well against top teams. We mustn't underestimate them and think we've done the hard work so we can step our foot off the gas. Not in the slightest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ricardo said:

Nothing is written in stone yet. 

We are in pole position with 3 laps to go and I like our chances.

Yes, I really like our chances of top six now! Even the old ACN can’t change that surely? We certainly have momentum for sure. 

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Bristol City are very inconsistent but this season have done well against top teams. We mustn't underestimate them and think we've done the hard work so we can step our foot off the gas. Not in the slightest.

Getting over the line is the hardest bit.

8 hours ago, RobJames said:

Nope 

Blackburn have been dragged into the relegation scrap. If they had lost yesterday they would be 2 pts off relegation.  

Plymouth would be worse . 1 point of relegation on 45 pts 

Chuck in the roses derby  for Blackburn

Both had plenty to play for . 

Personally I hope we go for 5th place as Southampton are the team I would prefer to play in the playoffs.
I think the top three have got it all to themselves,I wouldnt want to play any of those in a two legged play off place but would gladly take our chance if we could get to Wembley

• Like 1

Assuming the challengers win all their remaining games then six points will take us up given our goal difference.

All of the challengers cannot win all of their games because coventry have to play Hull. So one of those teams is bound to have 66 points from 43 games and can then only reach 75. This assumes hull win on Saturday but fail to beat Coventry.

So the only combination of results for the play offs to be sorted after said Coventry hull game is Preston lose at Southampton or on Saturday. Hull lose on Saturday and then draw at Coventry. Assuming big proviso norwich win on Saturday. I think!!

On 14/04/2024 at 15:33, canarybubbles said:

No way are we home and hosed although the likelihood is we'll get the necessary points in the next three games.

I fancy us more against Swansea than Bristol City but the last thing we want to doing is be going to Birmingham needing a result with them sweating about relegation.

This is now my favourite thread! only just discovered its twists and turns .. or rather,  1 delightful twist, and no turns but all the more exciting for it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

This is now my favourite thread! only just discovered its twists and turns .. or rather,  1 delightful twist, and no turns but all the more exciting for it

Love this, ‘1delightful twist’ comment! Simply stay calm and carry on canaries. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2024 at 15:33, canarybubbles said:

Agreed, they are a good outfit and have more points (11) from the last five games than us (10).

Posted (edited)
On 17/04/2024 at 15:40, Mutley said:

Agreed, they are a good outfit and have more points (11) from the last five games than us (10).

Sadly those Bristolians have ruined my forecasting and it must be said that they thoroughly deserved a point. 

Edited by Mutley
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Sadly those Bristolians have ruined my forecasting and it must be said that they thoroughly deserved a point. 

They just cancelled out the extra two points from the binner game. And let's face it, that's exactly the way round you'd have wanted it!

One more win needed. Maybe less.

42 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

They just cancelled out the extra two points from the binner game. And let's face it, that's exactly the way round you'd have wanted it!

One more win needed. Maybe less.

Yes, I’m well chuffed in having 72 points just now that I’d predicted we’d be at with two to play.  The binners doing a swapsy with Bristol C worked loveerly jubberly!

I think we really need to win on Saturday. It’s a shame the scum kick off at Hull later than our game. A win for us may deflate Hull. 

Posted (edited)

Hull need six points from nine, we need to collect nil from our remaining. We also have a quite hefty goal difference in our favour.

Coventry need nine from twelve and similar regards us and with a slightly inferior goal difference.

They play each other and whilst a draw would suit us best, any other result could eliminate one of them.

It is negative to assume that a play-off place isn't virtually sealed.

Personally, catching the Baggies is now my major concern, whilst both Hull and the Sky Blues getting something from their game against the Binners  is now my second.

I fear WBA most in the play-offs, a Binners match could go either way, whilst Leeds seem to be shaky.

At the very least it will be a decent cash bonanza and Wagner can depart with his head held high.

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Hull need six points from nine, we need to collect nil from our remaining. We also have a quite hefty goal difference in our favour.

Coventry need nine from twelve and similar regards us and with a slightly inferior goal difference.

They play each other and whilst a draw would suit us best, any other result could eliminate one of them.

It is negative to assume that a play-off place isn't virtually sealed.

Personally, catching the Baggies is now my major concern, whilst both Hull and the Sky Blues getting something from their game against the Binners  is now my second.

They are both in no loss territory. Both can max out at 75points. Being equal on points with us will not be enough to guarantee it, especially for Hull.

A draw between them would be ideal. Their mox totals would drop to 73pts.

• Like 1

I think we'll do well not to finish in the top 6. Hull draw too many, Coventry inconsistent.

The important point is who is carrying the best form into the play-offs? Whoever finishes 3rd will be broken. Southampton and WBA are hardly tearing up trees and we looked a bit leggy yesterday and created little.

The top 6 teams are sorted really, it's just the order! Who would we prefer over 2 legs, or in a one-off match? 

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

we looked a bit leggy yesterday and created little.

I wonder if the past week's training was focussed on fitness rather than tactics and ball work? The last session of fitness work before the end of season? From here fitness work could be dropped to focus just on winning games? 

All conjecture on my part, of course.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I wonder if the past week's training was focussed on fitness rather than tactics and ball work? The last session of fitness work before the end of season? From here fitness work could be dropped to focus just on winning games? 

All conjecture on my part, of course.

Could be Wagner time. 

I hope we're practicing penalties as well. 

• Like 1

Well the answer to this question would appear to be 75, unless there is a swing of 8 in the goal differences of us and Hull. 
So 3 points required - we need to do the business Saturday. 

Got to be aiming for 6 points now to try and jump West Brom, I’d rather face Southampton than the others in the top 3 to be honest

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, astro said:

Well the answer to this question would appear to be 75, unless there is a swing of 8 in the goal differences of us and Hull. 
So 3 points required - we need to do the business Saturday. 

We certainly do. We don’t want to have to go to St Andrews needing points especially if they need them too.

Nightmare scenario.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If the play-offs are a lottery then so are these last two games, it would seem.

Play to our best and we should surely pick up at least four points.

Edited by BroadstairsR