astro

How many points do we need?

We STILL really need to sort out our away form to stand any chance! Stoke away is probably a ‘must win’ now. 

22 hours ago, astro said:

We STILL really need to sort out our away form to stand any chance! Stoke away is probably a ‘must win’ now. 

Yes, I agree with this. We need that away win not only for the three points but to bolster confidence that it is possible to win away games moving towards the end of the season. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 12:25, Mutley said:

The historical bench mark is around 75 points I believe for sixth place and I think that will be needed. Sadly WBA look to be securing the fifth spot, their home form should see them keep that so for me its only one place up for grabs. Being optimistic I predicted that our last 13 games c/would result in us finishing with 78 points.

Just bumping this up again. My first four predictions all correct, lets hope this pattern continues:  

A Blackburn Draw    Correct!

H Sunderland Win   Correct!

A Boro Lose  Very sadly correct 

H Rotherham Win    Correct!

A Stoke Win - first big test of these predictions 

H Plymouth Win

A Leicester Lose

H 1p5wich Draw

A Sheff Wed Draw

A Preston Win

H Bristol City Win

H Swansea Win

A Birmingham Win 

So eight wins and two draws from here on in at over two points per game. I must have been in a very positive frame (especially the win at Preston) when I did this. 

What do you think? 

• Like 1

Based on Hull their season average would be 72, up from the 71 since New Year. However, a couple of wins/defeats could change that but that 70/71 figure has been consistent for a couple of months. So based on that 4 wins and 2 draws would scrape it, leaving 3 more defeats. Leicester and Preston (perhaps) and a 'rogue' game (Boro).

Aside from the obvious it is the unsung heroes who have stepped up Stacey, Lungi and Gibson, all of whom are at their best. Even the much derided Barnes (by me) has shown an excellent combative spirit wherever he has found himself on the pitch.  I suspect those (yesterday) will be much the starting X1

As to what we need that is not really the point as the above calculation may give a suggested figure, anything can happen. Stoke is no more a must win game, than any of the others. What we need is what has always been the aim. To gain as many points as possible. Grind out wins and grab a point when a defeat looks certain.

It is in our hands, and a squad that has battled its way to a play position is not likely to give up that fighting spirit now.

Dare to believe.

12 hours ago, astro said:

Yup! On to Stoke. Badly need a win! 

It's a must not lose for sure.

Hull don't play next week but then are at home to Stoke the week after, which you would expect them to win. If we can win at Stoke that would pile the pressure on them (Hull).

Our run in is slightly easier than Hull or Coventry's. No excuses really.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's a must not lose for sure.

Hull don't play next week but then are at home to Stoke the week after, which you would expect them to win. If we can win at Stoke that would pile the pressure on them (Hull).

Our run in is slightly easier than Hull or Coventry's. No excuses really.

If we play at Stoke like we did at Boro when we had eleven players on the field that elusive away win is surely not far away.

• Like 1

I'm now thinking that I  may have been pessimistic with my predictions' for the last 13 games.

So, is 78 points going to be enough for the top six? I would confidently say yes. 

It is the hope that kills you of course.... but I'm still extremely happy with how we're progressing....

A Stoke Win Correct! 61 Points

H Plymouth Win

A Leicester Lose

H 1p5wich Draw

A Sheff Wed Draw

A Preston Win

H Bristol City Win

H Swansea Win

A Birmingham Win    Ending with 78 points

This thread has me hoping. Injury free is the key and now Sargent has two weeks off as well to be rested and managed carefully. We seem to have a real momentum and can see us going unbeaten. 

26 minutes ago, Mutley said:

I'm now thinking that I  may have been pessimistic with my predictions' for the last 13 games.

So, is 78 points going to be enough for the top six? I would confidently say yes. 

It is the hope that kills you of course.... but I'm still extremely happy with how we're progressing....

A Stoke Win Correct! 61 Points

H Plymouth Win

A Leicester Lose

H 1p5wich Draw

A Sheff Wed Draw

A Preston Win

H Bristol City Win

H Swansea Win

A Birmingham Win    Ending with 78 points

Very impressed by your accuracy so far! Surely 78 points would be enough. I think I might (sadly) put the Leicester and Ipswich results the other way round. Got to back us to win at Hillsborough, haven't you?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bigbrenn said:

This thread has me hoping. Injury free is the key and now Sargent has two weeks off as well to be rested and managed carefully. We seem to have a real momentum and can see us going unbeaten. 

Absolutely. Just worrying now we have peaked too early!

Fingers crossed we have no more injuries and can get Duffy, Rowe and Giannoulis back before the play-offs.

• Like 1

Doing the double over Hull might be the difference. It’s a long long time ago but the first game of the season Idah extra time winner but prove the difference.

Our run in compared with Hull (and I know there are others in contention but they are our nearest on points)

Hull have

H Stoke    

A Leeds  

A Cardiff 

H Middles  

H QPR 

A Watford  

A Coventry  

H Ipswich 

So maybe 13 points ? puts them on 71

On 18/03/2024 at 13:59, Capt. Pants said:

Absolutely. Just worrying now we have peaked too early!

Fingers crossed we have no more injuries and can get Duffy, Rowe and Giannoulis back before the play-offs.

How can we have 'peaked too early'. Had we not won the games we have, then we would not have supposedly 'peaked too early, meaning those points would now have to be gained now.

If we played Leics, PNE & Binners and lost all three then won the last 5 for a playoff it would still be the same end product whatever order we played those games in. Would it be thought we peaked at the right time, after three defeats

The bottom line is the suggested points required will be above the current 70-72 range. All we can do is to keep picking up points. Current form suggests we will make the playoffs. However, a penalty, sending off, missed 'sitter' can be the difference between a win and a draw, so while theoretically it is now in our hands, the element that makes things so interesting is that unknown the hands of the gods

Still, I doubt any of us really thought we would be here, last November, so in some ways it’s an unexpected bonus - to be enjoyed, given what has happened. Rather like being on the roulette table, sticking with red and seeing it come up red each time..... can it last another eight spins 🙃

On 18/03/2024 at 14:24, BurwellCanary said:

Our run in compared with Hull (and I know there are others in contention but they are our nearest on points)

Hull have

H Stoke    

A Leeds  

A Cardiff 

H Middles  

H QPR 

A Watford  

A Coventry  

H Ipswich 

So maybe 13 points ? puts them on 71

....and Plymouth away...

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 13:36, Robert N. LiM said:

Very impressed by your accuracy so far! Surely 78 points would be enough. I think I might (sadly) put the Leicester and Ipswich results the other way round. Got to back us to win at Hillsborough, haven't you?

The Owls had been much improved before Saturday so I was hesitant in putting us down for a win there, especially with our poor away form. I do think like you that we could get something at Leicester now but I could not allow myself to contemplate predicting that we lose at home to the binners. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mutley said:

The Owls had been much improved before Saturday so I was hesitant in putting us down for a win there, especially with our poor away form. I do think like you that we could get something at Leicester now but I could not allow myself to contemplate predicting that we lose at home to the binners. 

Yeah, all fair enough. Not sure what I was thinking, questioning someone with your perfect record!

On 19/03/2024 at 19:55, Robert N. LiM said:

Yeah, all fair enough. Not sure what I was thinking, questioning someone with your perfect record!

Ha ha. Thankful that the record is perfect at the moment, but lets see how it plays out from here on in. 

• Like 1

On 19/03/2024 at 19:40, mannings bandy legs said:

....and Plymouth away...

Sorry about that - make it 74 points then

The championship never ceases to amaze - 5th place no longer looks unattainable. @Mutley - do you still stand by your predictions for the remaining games? You’ve been spot on so far! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, astro said:

The championship never ceases to amaze - 5th place no longer looks unattainable. @Mutley - do you still stand by your predictions for the remaining games? You’ve been spot on so far! 

Well, I would certainly love to be incorrect in gaining more than two points over the next three. As Leicester lost today they will be desperate for a win so I’m going to stay with that prediction as with the binners game as they are in a very good run of form.

I might like to think that I should have possibly swapped around the next two results but the end game is reaching sufficient points and I’m very confident that 78 will be more than enough. I don’t really want to go to Birmingham on the last day needing something as my heart will not cope. 

A Blackburn Draw    Correct!

H Sunderland Win   Correct

A Boro Lose   Correct

H Rotherham Win  Correct

A Stoke Win  Correct

H Plymouth Win   Correct

A Leicester Lose

H 1p5wich Draw

A Sheff Wed Draw

A Preston Win

H Bristol City Win

H Swansea Win

A Birmingham Win and 78 points = play offs 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One more than 7th place, that's all

which with Coventry's game in hand we still are

Edited by RobJames

Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2024 at 20:28, Mutley said:

Well, I would certainly love to be incorrect in gaining more than two points over the next three. As Leicester lost today they will be desperate for a win so I’m going to stay with that prediction as with the binners game as they are in a very good run of form.

I might like to think that I should have possibly swapped around the next two results but the end game is reaching sufficient points and I’m very confident that 78 will be more than enough. I don’t really want to go to Birmingham on the last day needing something as my heart will not cope. 

A Blackburn Draw    Correct

H Sunderland Win   Correct

A Boro Lose   Sadly Correct

H Rotherham Win  Correct

A Stoke Win  Correct

H Plymouth Win   Correct

A Leicester Lose   Sadly correct

H 1p5wich Draw

A Sheff Wed Draw

A Preston Win

H Bristol City Win

H Swansea Win

A Birmingham Win and 78 points = play offs 

Ok, I so wanted to be wrong today but that’s another correct result. Keep this up and we will reach the 78 points with no problem. 

And todays results went very well for us considering. 

Edited by Mutley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mutley said:

Ok, I so wanted to be wrong today but that’s another correct result. Keep this up and we will reach the 78 points with no problem. 

And todays results went very well for us considering. 

#InMutleyWeTrust

OTBC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got away with one today I feel! As much as I want @Mutley to pull of their amazing prediction, a win against the filth on Saturday would be fantastic. 

14 hours ago, astro said:

Got away with one today I feel! As much as I want @Mutley to pull of their amazing prediction, a win against the filth on Saturday would be fantastic. 

I would soooo love that as well. More than happy to get one wrong for that outcome! Being surrounded by binners is awful and it might just quieten them down a little if we beat them. They are living on high octane fumes at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Mutley said:

I would soooo love that as well. More than happy to get one wrong for that outcome! Being surrounded by binners is awful and it might just quieten them down a little if we beat them. They are living on high octane fumes at the moment. 

Yes-  You need to take one for team on Saturday 😉

Just how bad was this league last season?!

We've got 64 pts with 6 games left now

Sunderland got into 6th place last season with 69.

It was almost harder to not get into them.

The fact that we finished in the bottom half of the table show how terrible we were in the final 2 months