16 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It still hinges on whether anyone wants to buy him though

If he keeps up even a vaguely similar level of form for Celtic he'll have suitors.

20 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It occurs to me that Pukki did rubbish at Celtic, so if Idah's doing well there, he should be mind-blowing when he comes back. 🙃

Gary Hooper was mind-blowing at Celtic but useless here. It's never that clear cut and depends so much on the system and style of the team you play for.

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Gary Hooper was mind-blowing at Celtic but useless here. It's never that clear cut and depends so much on the system and style of the team you play for.

I think something just clipped your hair as it went over? :classic_wink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

If he keeps up even a vaguely similar level of form for Celtic he'll have suitors.

He shouldn’t have suitors he should be here playing with confidence and supported by the fans on and off the pitch. The lads got bags of talent and potential! It’s sad that as a club we’ve certainly become fragmented in all areas, there was a time we were United and as one! Now there’s a division in the terraces, the board, the players! Sad isn’t it, we should be excited about having a firing Idah back for next season not talking about selling him. Wish everything could be sorted this summer! Takeover completed, manager sorted and club & fans United behind a new coach & team how refreshing would that be?

Edited by Indy
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Indy said:

He shouldn’t have suitors he should be here playing with confidence and supported by the fans on and off the pitch. The lads got bags of talent and potential! It’s sad that as a club we’ve certainly become fragmented in all areas, there was a time we were United and as one! Now there’s a division in the distances, the board, the players! Sad isn’t it, we should be excited about having a firing Idah back for next season not talking about selling him. Wish everything could be sorted this summer! Takeover completed, manager sorted and club & fans United behind a new coach & team how refreshing would that be?

Would be lovely Indy, but Idah got stick from our fans until Bristol City away this season. He was even boo'd touching the ball at times. I can't imagine he would ever want to come back here if there's a chance of him making it work at Celtic.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Would be lovely Indy, but Idah got stick from our fans until Bristol City away this season. He was even boo'd touching the ball at times. I can't imagine he would ever want to come back here if there's a chance of him making it work at Celtic.

I’ve always had time for Idah as you’ll see by my posts, he’s an outstanding talent, if someone can get his head right he’s going to be some player. Sad that really is!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Indy said:

if someone can get his head right he’s going to be some player.

Is it that, or is it that that he needs the responsibility of being the main striker and not picked up and dropped depending on who's fit and available ahead of him?

I think it's easy to look at him an come to the conclusion that he has some kind of self confidence issue, or not enough bite.  But it could just come down to that's how his character comes out externally. 

Pukki never looked like he was over bothered, even when he missed sitters, and many times would look like he's just woken up when the players came out of the tunnel.  I think in many respects it can be a blessing to have that character trait, provided you get enough game time for it to all average out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Indy said:

I’ve always had time for Idah as you’ll see by my posts, he’s an outstanding talent, if someone can get his head right he’s going to be some player. Sad that really is!

You could be right, but I feel the highlighted sums it up, as we seem to be expecting that for some time now. As has been pointed out, he's twenty-three now, and it's over four years since he made his debut in the first team. 

He's had multiple chances, including in the PL, but has never managed to secure a consistent starting role. Surely in this game, you make your own case rather than wait for opportunities created by your fellow players. He has not been denied the chance to do this by any stretch of the imagination. Sutton did, Bellamy did and now Rowe has, all when younger than AI.

I've always predicted that he will probably be at his best at around the age of twenty-eight for, in footballing terms, he seems to be maturing slowly. 

Also, and to be slightly cruel, if his "head is not right" then he has no place in the professional game at this level. Admittedly, it was only recently that I learned from this forum that there was a section of idiots at Carrow Road who booed each time he touched the ball. Criticism on this forum is mild by comparison, and it must have been hell for the boy.

I really think that discussion of his future on this forum has become irrelevant because I do not think he will wish to even set foot on the Carrow Road turf again, and the club probably knows it.

For his and the club's sake, we have to hope he excels in Scotland and that we are able to get a decent fee for the player.

• Like 2

Well I'm very pleased for Adam but personally I feel he should have been loaned out a couple of seasons ago at least....I hope he continues his current good fortune plying his trade in Bonnie Scotland and if he does? Well he'll be most likely wearing white and green instead of yellow and green come August....

• Like 1

On 27/02/2024 at 04:59, BroadstairsR said:

I do not think he will wish to even set foot on the Carrow Road turf again, and the club probably knows it.

For his and the club's sake, we have to hope he excels in Scotland and that we are able to get a decent fee for the player.

Hear hear

While I have doubts over the lads ability, you do not boo a player (City). These are the same cretins who were booing Gibson.  And yes, enjoy your time away from CR, Adam. I am just sorry that a few aholes maybe the lasting impression you take from City.

Im not going to get carried away that Idah, a striker, manages to score in a 7-0 rout.

Perhaps this is criticism to.our club that weve all been saying Idah really needed a loan away, for 5 seasins now, to play regularly and see if he develops.

That this club has kept him hanging on on the bench for that amount of time, playing 2nd and 3rd fiddle cant do anyone anyone good.

That said, hes been given lots of opportunities and hasnt really taken them.

I'd be surprised if he plays for us again and seems destined to be part of Knappers summer overhaul. I think the club are preparing he'll move on

• Like 1

With all the players out of contract in June and the likely interest in Rowe, Sara, Sargent  and now Idah it could be a significantly different looking squad next season.

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never scored headers for us but nah takes one trip to haggis land and he's just heading them in all over the place

Maybe the delivery of the cross is better? 

19 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Maybe the delivery of the cross is better? 

Considering that Celtic is the "Catholic" club, you'd think they would know a thing or two about crosses.

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Im not going to get carried away that Idah, a striker, manages to score in a 7-0 rout.

Perhaps this is criticism to.our club that weve all been saying Idah really needed a loan away, for 5 seasins now, to play regularly and see if he develops.

That this club has kept him hanging on on the bench for that amount of time, playing 2nd and 3rd fiddle cant do anyone anyone good.

I'd be surprised if he plays for us again and seems destined to be part of Knappers summer overhaul. I think the club are preparing he'll move on

I know this is old ground, but has he really had that many opportunities? 10-15 minutes from the subs bench here and a couple of consecutive starts there is not wniugh for any but the most outstanding young players to get established. He’s getting more game time at Celtic and it is clearly doing him good.

38 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I know this is old ground, but has he really had that many opportunities? 10-15 minutes from the subs bench here and a couple of consecutive starts there is not wniugh for any but the most outstanding young players to get established. He’s getting more game time at Celtic and it is clearly doing him good.

I understand the point, but when it comes down to it there is a reason young players get their chance. Take Rowe for example, who basically came off of a year injured and very quickly became our most important attacker.

When he left I was of the opinion that the best outcome here is he scores a few goals and gets decent bids in for the summer. I really can't see him coming back here, and I'm not that upset- something about Idah and Norwich looks like it just isn't going to work.

51 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

eh ?

The coaching staff will know how well a player is doing in training. They are NOT put in the first team to develop, that is done before they play.  However what a first team appearance can show is that a player is not as ready as may have been thought. Rowe, Omo, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey etc made their place permanent.

Idah did not despite numerous attempts.  Put bluntly, he is not as good as some delude themselves. That's why Springett is out on loan, polish pete has left and Onel is often on the bench. Not good enough. Idah was stuck on because all too often there was no one else, not because he was 'first choice'.

Think Idah's success proves just how pish the SPL is.

I wonder if conceded 7 means that Dundee might give their number 2 keeper a chance, a certain Jon McCracken! 

40 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Think Idah's success proves just how pish the SPL is.

I wonder if conceded 7 means that Dundee might give their number 2 keeper a chance, a certain Jon McCracken! 

Ahh, I had forgotten Phil’s brother was there.

9 hours ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

The coaching staff will know how well a player is doing in training. They are NOT put in the first team to develop, that is done before they play.  However what a first team appearance can show is that a player is not as ready as may have been thought. Rowe, Omo, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey etc made their place permanent.

Idah did not despite numerous attempts.  Put bluntly, he is not as good as some delude themselves. That's why Springett is out on loan, polish pete has left and Onel is often on the bench. Not good enough. Idah was stuck on because all too often there was no one else, not because he was 'first choice'.

But training and actual game time are different.

There’s a thread on here I read yesterday about Timmy Krul that points out he wasn’t great when he first appeared for us as he’d been out of action for a while. He needed to play to get up to speed. I recently posted that Hanley was similar. They are experienced older professionals. It’s not unreasonable for a young player to need a run of three or four games to find their feet, and then improve the more time they get.

You mention Rowe. He’s been great this season but he didn’t set the pitch on fire when he got a go before his injury. Sometimes it will take a little time.

11 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

This sums it up perfectly for me.  He never grabbed the opportunities he had, maybe a longer run of starts might have worked for him but others were more effective so he ended up as a sub more often than not. The biggest factor for me now is playing for a big club in a little league against poor players, good for him and I wish him well but I suspect he's done here, hopefully Celtic pay what we ask and everyone is a winner. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

10 hours ago, RobJames said:

The coaching staff will know how well a player is doing in training. They are NOT put in the first team to develop

Sorry but this is ludicrous, of course players are given first team football to develop, either at their parent club or out on loan. Likewise, the only reason Spurs gave us Oli Skipp for a year was to aid his development.

Our club puts a lot of effort into finding the right loans for our young players to clubs that we think are good for their development or where they are assured first team football, for this reason, the cherry picked Todd Cantwell loan to Holland a good example. 

The James Maddison loan to Aberdeen was clearly one to toughen him up in a league where he'd be kicked out of games, you think he didn't have League One and Championship interest after tearing up League One with Coventry and moving to us for a £4m fee?

With this particularly Adam Idah loan though, I think Knapper sees him as a round peg for a square hole when it comes to the style of football he wants us to evolve into and that this loan is very much one to put him in the shop window before the summer. Idah should have had a loan to League One years ago for development.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

6 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

hopefully Celtic pay what we ask and everyone is a winner. 

Either that or Bologna come back with an offer for a perm deal in the summer. It definitely feels like a 'shop window' loan, a CV fluffing exercise.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already. The Scottish Prem finishes on the 13th April. We have a further 3 fixtures and possibly play offs. Are we able to play Idah? Could be in a hot streak of form by then.

• Like 1

I could feel a lot happier about this if Van Hooijdonk can get up to speed a bit quicker. I realise Wagner has to balance player development with getting results on the pitch, but relying on Sargent Barnes when neither seems fully fit is highly risky?

• Like 1

There's talk of £6 - 8m for him with numerous suitors. If we can get that for him it would be extremely good business and would even vindicate the 5 year contract. Like others, I don't see him playing for us again.