JonnyJonnyRowe

If you held the keys to all of world football..

What three things would you change about the game if you could play god?

Mine would be:

1. VAR would judge only the position of feet when determining whether a goal is offside, not somebodies nose or shoulder. The Pukki goal against Spurs would have clearly have stood, and been on the goal of the season shortlist.
  2. I'd establish an equivalent of the Puskas award for the best assist. Ironically the player with the most assists in world football history is Ferenc Puskas, but as they've already used his name I'd possibly call it the Cryuff award, or the Messi award. 
  3. Now this one is a bit outside of the box, but I've always been curious about what football would be like if you got 3 points for a win, but 0 points for a draw. Probably more exciting. Although just in case it completely ruins football I'd designate a second rate league to trial it for a couple of seasons; the Greek league perhaps. 

A hard-earned draw away from home, if only for a rearguard display, deserves a point.

Preventing goals as well as scoring them is part of the game.

More realistically, just back to two points for a win, but I'd need to think more deeply about that.

• Like 1

The only thing I’d change in terms of points would possibly be to give them for scoring goals - maybe a point for every two in a home game, one for one in an away game?  The move to 3 for a win/1 for a draw has clearly been successful and doesn’t need a change in itself.

The main thing would be to completely change the finances and overall structure somehow.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

A hard-earned draw away from home, if only for a rearguard display, deserves a point.

Preventing goals as well as scoring them is part of the game.

More realistically, just back to two points for a win, but I'd need to think more deeply about that.

Would that lead to more teams adopting even more defensive strategies though than they do currently? We already see half the top flight happy to sit back for a draw and hope to snatch one on the break, would only two for a win make this even worse? 

Salary cap.

Some sort of draft for young players - do away with youth teams.

Maximum number of loans in and out.

I'd like to trial no offsides just to see what it's like - I'm not confident I'd like it though!

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The only thing I’d change in terms of points would possibly be to give them for scoring goals - maybe a point for every two in a home game, one for one in an away game?  The move to 3 for a win/1 for a draw has clearly been successful and doesn’t need a change in itself.

The main thing would be to completely change the finances and overall structure somehow.

This would only benefit the big clubs though who are more likely to score multiple times in a game. You’d make the top flight even more lopsided

Scrap VAR

Scrap the loan system

Limit on squad sizes (under 21’s don’t count towards the total)

Less subs, maximum of 3

European Cups back to straight knockout - You can seed them similar to tennis if you want the big teams to make the later stages

• Like 2

25-man playable named squad, only. No more u21 loopholes, if someone gets injured he can be replaced with a member of the youth team for the duration.

Would make the lesser lights + young guns think twice about their playing time. Hopefully then you would see the quality trickle down the leagues; not sure the current wage situation would agree with this mind.

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Salary cap.

Some sort of draft for young players - do away with youth teams.

Maximum number of loans in and out.

I'd like to trial no offsides just to see what it's like - I'm not confident I'd like it though!

Salary cap would sort so many of the issues.

I agree regarding doing away with youth teams. Take a chunk of the TV cash to fund regional academies in which youth prospects largely from those areas aged between 16-19 are based. Similar to the US college system, here they will receive a formal education whilst also competing for their Academy in a league. With a bit of marketing, it could end up funding itself and start attracting half decent crowds and a decent TV deal. Then when they graduate at the end of their third year, they go into some sort of draft system and become a professional with a decent education and some qualifications behind them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

This would only benefit the big clubs though who are more likely to score multiple times in a game. You’d make the top flight even more lopsided

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case, but it would entice sides to keep playing even when losing; perhaps just have one ‘bonus’ available each game (similar to rugby). It’d change the number of points available in a game, making end of season potentially more interesting. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I agree regarding doing away with youth teams. Take a chunk of the TV cash to fund regional academies in which youth prospects largely from those areas aged between 16-19 are based. Similar to the US college system, here they will receive a formal education whilst also competing for their Academy in a league. With a bit of marketing, it could end up funding itself and start attracting half decent crowds and a decent TV deal. Then when they graduate at the end of their third year, they go into some sort of draft system and become a professional with a decent education and some qualifications behind them.

I’d hate that. One of the joys of football (especially clubs our size) is seeing youngsters from your academy forcing their way into the first team. Do you think people would have had such an affinity with Rowe, Aarons etc if they had just been won in a draft system from some centralised agency? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I’d hate that. One of the joys of football (especially clubs our size) is seeing youngsters from your academy forcing their way into the first team. Do you think people would have had such an affinity with Rowe, Aarons etc if they had just been won in a draft system from some centralised agency? 

A lot would. But you'd also have the opportunity of following an Academy team made up of local kids from your area, rather than your club's academy made up of people their scouting network has sourced from London, Luton, abroad, etc.

11 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

What three things would you change about the game if you could play god?

Mine would be:

1. VAR would judge only the position of feet when determining whether a goal is offside, not somebodies nose or shoulder. The Pukki goal against Spurs would have clearly have stood, and been on the goal of the season shortlist.
  2. I'd establish an equivalent of the Puskas award for the best assist. Ironically the player with the most assists in world football history is Ferenc Puskas, but as they've already used his name I'd possibly call it the Cryuff award, or the Messi award. 
  3. Now this one is a bit outside of the box, but I've always been curious about what football would be like if you got 3 points for a win, but 0 points for a draw. Probably more exciting. Although just in case it completely ruins football I'd designate a second rate league to trial it for a couple of seasons; the Greek league perhaps. 

Number 1 not only makes sense it would also speed things up dramatically 

A 'proper' reserve league with trophies and FA Cup equivalent,. Gets young players competitive games with and against older pros. 

You could, I guess, make it regional at the lower levels. But not PL and Championship. Issues, of course, with pitch use every week and costs when attendances would be low but am sure a lot of people who don't, or can't, get to our first team games home and away would go to Carra for the ressies.

I wouldn’t scrap VAR but it should be limited much more to the “howler” rather referring by committee. 

0 points for a draw would be a disaster as draws actually make football in my opinion as it means more tactical options open up. Whereas in other sports you can only really attack and go at the opponent.

Would be good to limit the power of the big clubs particularly in how they hoover up young players then loan them out.

Multi club ownership should also be banned asap.

As for the game think it would be a good idea to change the rules so the player who wins a set piece has to take it. Which would hopefully speed up the game, lessen the importance of set pieces and curb diving to an extent.

14 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Believe me - at grass roots level either removing them or only in the 18 yard box should be looked at (it was trialled locally back in the 70’s) so 1. Stops biased Lino’s and 2. Stops non-biased Lino’s being abused or even assaulted. 
The whole point of introducing offsides was to stop ‘goal hangers’ which nowadays could probably be eliminated with a change in tactics. 

7 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Believe me - at grass roots level either removing them or only in the 18 yard box should be looked at (it was trialled locally back in the 70’s) so 1. Stops biased Lino’s and 2. Stops non-biased Lino’s being abused or even assaulted. 
The whole point of introducing offsides was to stop ‘goal hangers’ which nowadays could probably be eliminated with a change in tactics. 

I agree, I coach my boy's team and it's our first season with offsides. During our game at the end of our training sessions, we obviously don't have linos, so we just have a rule that if it's so obvious that the person reffing it can see they are offside from behind the play, we'll give it. I kinda think that would a good rule. I know it creates a lot of subjectivity and inevitably there will be a lot of goals given that would currently be ruled out for offside, but goals are good! And it stops the goal-hanging tendency as a ref will easily spot that from anywhere on the pitch. If he can't spot it obviously, then they can play on.

• Like 1

A wage cap for all players

have to have a minimum of 10 home grown players in a match day squad

Offside only in the penalty area 

Controversial I know but think these would help the game become more enjoyable for all 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Exactly my thoughts. Would solve so many ills in the game.

The only problem with "feet only" being used as the defining factor in offside decisions, is that it works both ways. From memory we had a couple of goals against us in the Prem, where the defender's heel played the opponent onside.

Good idea, but only if it always works in our favour, which it won't.

'Clear daylight' would be a much more easily recognisable interpretation. If you are level, bodywise in whatever manner, with a defender you would still be onside.

Edited by Addick/Canary

Get rid of VAR entirely. 

Make swearing at the ref or dissent at decisions  a red card offence with a 3 game ban.

Make betting by contracted professionals a season long ban.

Make diving or feigning injury a red card offence with a 1 game ban.

Encourage refs to give penalties for every foul in the penalty area i.e. actually implement the rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Get rid of VAR entirely. 

Make swearing at the ref or dissent at decisions  a red card offence with a 3 game ban.

Make betting by contracted professionals a season long ban.

Make diving or feigning injury a red card offence with a 1 game ban.

Encourage refs to give penalties for every foul in the penalty area i.e. actually implement the rules.

Introduce 4 a side football then!

When taking corners, ball must be within the quadrant.

If sin bins to be brought in, why an additional coloured card? Just use the yellow card for this as in Rugby.

If var to be retained, impose 30 second time limit or on field decision stands.

1. I'd change the offside rule to be any part of the attackers body being inside equals the player is onside. The current interpretation of offside is ridiculous.

2. Mic'd up referees and zero tolerance towards swearing and abuse of the refs by players. Would love to hear the rationale behind some of the calls, discussions with Var and with players. Obviously couldn't happen currently given language etc directed towards refs currently. 

3. Introduction of an independent football regulator and far more comprehensive financial fair play rules. Ideally this should stretch to salary caps, greater distribution of money throughout the lower leagues and no state ownership of clubs.

Keep VAR but like Cricket only the team captain can put a challenge in.

Introduce sin bins (shirt pulls, cynical fouls) 5 minutes off the pitch - give each player 5 strikes if they run out then they receive a yellow card, but keep the red card for any terrible tackles i.e. Holgate at the weekend.

I'd make longer notice if games are moved for TV/police wanting overtime. 

Only 6 and a bit weeks to the Ipswich game and it's still down as a 3pm Saturday kick off when that's highly unlikely. We all know it's going to be moved. Why can't we be told now so arrangements can be made. 

A few times in the past I've bought train tickets which have then become useless due to games being moved at short notice.

Salary cap

No VAR

Football to be made illegal in Suffolk

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Obviously this last one has only recently become relevant; for the last 20 years it's just been the de facto state of affairs