Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Why do people do things like this

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

There's something about football that really does bring out the worst in some people. 

Mocking tragedies, the desire to physically assault people because they support a different football team, criminal damage, death threats, and plenty of other things. 

I just don't get it.

It’s the new religion for the masses people used to fight for their church now they fight for their club. Humans by nature are tribalistic. Hence why immigration is such a massive part of politics. 

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Don’t we sing a song about the Ipswich murdered ladies of the night? 

We? You maybe. 

• Like 5

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

We? You maybe. 

I mean we as a club, we also sing a song about Tony Martin murdering home invaders and kicking the head in of an Ipswich fan on a string. Which is generally sung by almost every club in the country with the clubs name replaced. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We? You maybe. 

Sitting in the Barclay and hearing them be sung is different from joining in. Ignoring them like they don’t exist is head in the sand stuff when we as a club are as guilty as any fan base of singing about tragic events. 

15 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I mean we as a club, we also sing a song about Tony Martin murdering home invaders and kicking the head in of an Ipswich fan on a string. Which is generally sung by almost every club in the country with the clubs name replaced. 

You and I have  very different understanding of the word ' We. ' for me it includes me, therefore I am always  very cagey as to who is include in the word ' We. ' Other people going to watch footy, supporting the same team is not enough for me, sorry. I save the 'We' for those I really really know and trust. 

‘Tragedy chanting’ has always been a thing, there’s nothing new about it other than the name.  As a teenager in the 80s I recall chants about Munich etc; I have also found the Tony Martin chants particularly distasteful, he was a bit bonkers (had the murder conviction reduced to diminished responsibility) but anyone who actually knows the case knows it was a planned and deliberate act on his part.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s the new religion for the masses people used to fight for their church now they fight for their club. Humans by nature are tribalistic. Hence why immigration is such a massive part of politics. 

Yeah, the tribalism is obviously the reason, but I don't understand the thought processes of people who risk wrecking several families, whether that's through assaults resulting in serious injuries or the related custodial sentences to perpetrators of the crimes I mentioned in my previous post. I mean, is it really worth it just because someone lives somewhere else and/or supports a different football team?

Anti-immigration, as you mention, is much the same. The only difference between us in the UK and those risking their lives by crossing the channels in dinghies is a lottery of birthplace.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, the tribalism is obviously the reason, but I don't understand the thought processes of people who risk wrecking several families, whether that's through assaults resulting in serious injuries or the related custodial sentences to perpetrators of the crimes I mentioned in my previous post. I mean, is it really worth it just because someone lives somewhere else and/or supports a different football team?

Anti-immigration, as you mention, is much the same. The only difference between us in the UK and those risking their lives by crossing the channels in dinghies is a lottery of birthplace.

I guess only those yobs who get involved with it will be able to tell you. I’m pretty sure though those people will be fighting over something else even if they weren’t fighting over football. 

So a business got that order, saw the design and 'message' behind it and thought, "...yeah, whatever, we'll knock that off for them-its just a job, nothing to do with us".

One of them must work for the company in question.

• Like 1

The answer to the OP's question is "because they're as thick as pig excrement".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

There's something about football that really does bring out the worst in some people. 

Mocking tragedies, the desire to physically assault people because they support a different football team, criminal damage, death threats, and plenty of other things. 

I just don't get it.

I hope its not the same the other way round (I'm sadly sure it is to some degree), but my Facebook Messenger inbox is full of unaccepted message requests that are all Ipswich Town fans with insults to the mother, my partner and even a death threat. Reported where appropriate of course.

All in response to light banter. Facebook is of course full of plums anyway but football fan users are the worst 

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You and I have  very different understanding of the word ' We. ' for me it includes me, therefore I am always  very cagey as to who is include in the word ' We. ' Other people going to watch footy, supporting the same team is not enough for me, sorry. I save the 'We' for those I really really know and trust. 

With Delia being the second Queen of England, how can anyone deny the Royal 'we'?

I'm sure I heard the old 'we shoot burgerlers' from the away support at Hull on Friday on my live stream.

If you're sensitive to these things then feel relieved it's better than it was 40 odd years ago. However, the world isn't inherently a better place since then, if anything it's worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

They're a rum old lot from around there...

My sister lives there and the times I've stayed with her and got the bus up to the stadium the journey has been interesting. Everyone else on the bus. Particularly the kids were gesturing/chanting abuse at city fans. Pointing out who was gonna get a kicking when they got off the bus. I kept quiet and my colours well hidden. 

Years ago they had a fight with (I think) leicester fans on my sisters road. Miles from the ground. 

Highly unpleasant bunch of people in my experience. But not as bad as wolves fans!

Just to be clearly I'm not dissing coventrys entire population. The people are great usually however football seems to bring out the very worst in them.

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

My sister lives there and the times I've stayed with her and got the bus up to the stadium the journey has been interesting. Everyone else on the bus. Particularly the kids were gesturing/chanting abuse at city fans. Pointing out who was gonna get a kicking when they got off the bus. I kept quiet and my colours well hidden. 

Years ago they had a fight with (I think) leicester fans on my sisters road. Miles from the ground. 

Highly unpleasant bunch of people in my experience. But not as bad as wolves fans!

They’ll behave when they visit Norwich soon. Will definitely take the full allocation which will help the atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm sure I heard the old 'we shoot burgerlers' from the away support at Hull on Friday on my live stream.

If you're sensitive to these things then feel relieved it's better than it was 40 odd years ago. However, the world isn't inherently a better place since then, if anything it's worse.

The Tony Martin case revolved around the principle of 'an englishman's home is his castle'. That doesn't mean his response was justified but to a degree he was driven too it. 

Edited by essex canary

In some arenas long held rivalries, prejudices and fears becomes show cased. Football can be one of those outlets, a people in crowds do change. I’ve always been surprised at the genuine aggression and suspicion of rural linked clubs like ours from some big city fans; it’s clearly more than banter or **** taking, there’s real animosity. I live in London so notice. 

34 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The Tony Martin case revolved around the principle of 'an englishman's home is his castle'. That doesn't mean his response was justified but to a degree he was driven too it. 

The people he shot he shot while they were exiting his home, shooting them in the back as they were unarmed using an illegaly owned firearm.

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The people he shot he shot while they were exiting his home, shooting them in the back as they were unarmed using an illegaly owned firearm.

As you state totally unreasonable within the moment nonetheless persistent burglary was surely an issue of mental torture for him.

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They’ll behave when they visit Norwich soon. Will definitely take the full allocation which will help the atmosphere. 

Well they definitely haven’t taken the full allocation as seats have become available to home fans in block H of the South stand. Sorry to disappoint you as you’ve been ‘bigging them up’ on a couple of threads.

18 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

‘Tragedy chanting’ has always been a thing, there’s nothing new about it other than the name.  As a teenager in the 80s I recall chants about Munich etc; I have also found the Tony Martin chants particularly distasteful, he was a bit bonkers (had the murder conviction reduced to diminished responsibility) but anyone who actually knows the case knows it was a planned and deliberate act on his part.

Maybe, I’ve still got no sympathy for the ones he shot though 

• Like 1