Almost everyone I saw online at the time was saying it should have been a straight red, three match ban, could have sent him to the hospital etc etc.. And now we have had a night to think about it what do we think?

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Lucky lad, that’s a red all day long. 

For what? The ball is in the air and Gunn jumps for it whist Connelly doesn't. It is inevitable that there will be contact high on the Hull player at that point but Gunn got to the ball first. Do we now say that if one player jumps for a header and the other doesn't that it's dangerous play?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got ball first. If anything, that's a foul on the goalie.

What kind of window-licking cretins were complaining about that?

• Like 6

I don't like that clip, which is the one being shared ad infinitum on socials. Makes it look like Gunn just clears him out, if you watch the whole sequence then it's very clear he comes through and wins the ball.

I thought the ref had a strange performance yesterday. Seemed very quick to dish out yellows for us 1st half, but then showed excellent perception when it was apparent Rosenoir had told his players 2nd half to push for second yellows with 'gamesmanship'.

2 minutes ago, Attleborough_Canary said:

Connelly should have had more awareness. 

He had no idea Gunn was there and 95% of goalkeepers wouldn't have been. Harsh to blame Connolly.

On the one hand, Gunn won the ball cleanly, but on the other, it was quite dangerous and could've been a lot worse for Connolly. In the 70s and 80s, it's a great challenge, but in 2024, especially in games with VAR in operation, that's a very risky challenge to make.

A 'dangerous' tackle nowadays is a red card offence remember, regardless of the outcome.

There was almost identical challenge to this a couple of months ago in Serie A, when Mike Maignan of Milan clattered a Genoa striker like this. It initially seemed a good intervention by Maignan, but VAR decided that because his thigh caught the striker fractionally before he headed the ball, it was a red card for dangerous play. I think Gunn makes contact with ball and man at more-or-less the same time though.

I'd be inclined to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt though, but if Allsop had smashed Sargent like that at the other end and he had to be subbed off with both a shoulder injury ajd a concussion, I'm sure the reaction on here would be a lot different.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He had no idea Gunn was there and 95% of goalkeepers wouldn't have been. Harsh to blame Connolly.

On the one hand, Gunn won the ball cleanly, but on the other, it was quite dangerous and could've been a lot worse for Connolly. In the 70s and 80s, it's a great challenge, but in 2024, especially in games with VAR in operation, that's a very risky challenge to make.

A 'dangerous' tackle nowadays is a red card offence remember, regardless of the outcome.

There was almost identical challenge to this a couple of months ago in Serie A, when Mike Maignan of Milan clattered a Genoa striker like this. It initially seemed a good intervention by Maignan, but VAR decided that because his thigh caught the striker fractionally before he headed the ball, it was a red card for dangerous play. I think Gunn makes contact with ball and man at more-or-less the same time though.

I'd be inclined to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt though, but if Allsop had smashed Sargent like that at the other end and he had to be subbed off with both a shoulder injury ajd a concussion, I'm sure the reaction on here would be a lot different.

The reaction would have been totally different. 

It was definitely a foul, but I think a red card would have been harsh because he only caught Gunn in the arm with his face and I don't think it was intentional. He obviously should have known he was going to be second to the ball and pulled out. 

• Haha 2

Some people seem to want a different decision because the challenge was from a goalkeeper, if a centre half did it there wouldn't have been any complaints for winning a header

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think Gunn makes contact with ball and man at more-or-less the same time though.

That's irrelevant. In many situations the foul prevents a player from reaching the ball. Gunn jumped for the ball and Connelly ran into him. You can't just go underneath someone jumping for a header. 

• Like 1

Regardless, can you believe that in 2024 there are genuinely Norwich fans who don't rate Gunn at this level still?

@alex_ncfc for one.... 😉

2 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

The referee was well positioned for both Gunn and Dimi and got both decisions spot on.

He certainly did if you support Norwich. I wonder what impartial fans thought? 

Good to see Football back to a contact Sport. We were physical last night

Long may it continue

But it won't. And another night, another game, another Referee and we have 2 Red Cards

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Except looks to me like Gunn’s elbow smacks into his face here, not his thigh. Very lucky imo!

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The neutral Sky pundits in the studio both thought Giannoulis should've been sent off.

We got away with it last night, that’s football though and we’ve had it the other way round before. 

Just now, Aggy said:

Except looks to me like Gunn’s elbow smacks into his face here, not his thigh. Very lucky imo!

If someone throws their face at you while you are in the air then it's not really your fault which bit of you they run into. 

• Like 2

Just now, Petriix said:

If someone throws their face at you while you are in the air then it's not really your fault which bit of you they run into. 

If your elbow happens to be pointed at the exact angle that it whacks an opponent smack in the face, quite a distance away from your body, and that’s slowed down on VAR for instance, then you’re very lucky to still be on the pitch.

Connolly is only ever looking at the ball, and has no idea Gunn is coming. Gunn jumps for the ball and wins the header cleanly; he has done nothing wrong. It's not even a 'challenge' per se; it's just a player cleanly winning a header. The contact afterwards is accidental and unfortunate. Technically, Connolly is trying to go for the ball and gets there second, so can understand the referee giving us the free-kick. Because of the nature of the contact, though (i.e. Connolly clearly getting smashed on Gunn's follow-through), the smart move would probably have been just to stop the game immediately for the head injury and restart with a drop ball.

As for the Giannoulis one, I think he's a bit lucky. Clearly swings the elbow and catches the man in the head. It looked like incidental contact at first, but the Hull player had a big lump on his head that was obviously caused by the point of Dimi's elbow. Couldn't have had any complaints if that were given as a red.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 5

Plus, let's remember, and take into account, Gunn is circa 9 inches taller than Connolly, so had Connolly been the same height then Gunn's elbow would have hit Connolly in the chest and not his face, hardly Gunn's fault Connolly is on the short side for a footballer😆

• Like 1

His elbow was down near his body when it made contact and more pertinently, he hit the ball first. You'll not get a better example of a mere "coming together" after two players go flat-out for a loose ball than that.

People are falling for the fallacy that all physical contact is a foul.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a contact sport. Situations like this happen and is part of the risk you agree too when you play. His eyes are on the ball and he wins the ball before the attacker hits him. If Connolly wanted to avoid the collision he could have pulled out also at anytime before making an attempt for the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1