Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Superb assist from Argos

Can we put that "doesn't produce" label away now?  Basically won us the game.

Good play from Fassnacht too to get on the end of it, but it was the right cross at the right time.

• Like 1

Don’t get carried away. We’ll be lucky to see another goal contribution from him for the rest of the season.

Made up for the horrific sitter minutes earlier. 

I think if he was ever going to be more consistent it would have happened by now. It remains 1 in 100. But credit for the assist tonight none the less. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good play from Fassnacht too to get on the end of it, but it was the right cross at the right time.

Whilst it was a decent ball (with a deflection) to put this to bed he needs to do it regularly. How many is that for recent seasons?

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not really. Generally his output is poor. One assist doesn't make him a good player, but played well when he came on. Accepting the fact that Onel is a good player is half the problem Norwich have. Acceptance of mediocre players,

• Like 1

Up to 2 assists for the season now and could have had more but for some poor finishing.

Still don’t think he produces enough, but glad to see his output is on the rise as he’s a great asset to the club and it’s nice to have one player who truly loves the club.

• Like 1

Onel is a lovely bloke who always gives his all.

But two assists and no goals in the league this season tells its own story.

Just for context, Kellen Fisher has two league assists this season, so far.

• Like 2

No room for sentiment for me. Need a squad clean out and for me Onel is one of those players and there's a few. And I'm not taking anything away from him tonight, he played well tonight. 

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can we put that "doesn't produce" label away now?  Basically won us the game..

It was a good cross, but his stats this season are:

24 games, 0 goals, 2 assists.

If he delivered that sort of ball even 25% of the time there'd be little complaint from me. But he doesn't. I do think he's a decent enough impact option though, from the bench.

• Like 2

I've been a big critic of his lack of end product, but fair play to him tonight - assist for the goal and did very well in the move that preceded it. 

• Like 4

Nah! I’m not sure what the squad declaration is in EFL but applying the EPL squad of 25 - Onel would be #25 for the next three years for me and always wanted if fit. 
Argos and his love for this club is everything the other 24 should be about (saving Angus Gunn who is Prem quality) 

Best of Onel tonight - one of the only players capable of holding the ball up, and also finally delivered quality.

Really hoping he has a strong finish to the season, more confidence will surely lead to better decision making in the final third.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Isn't it 5 years since he's scored at Carrow Rd?

I remember him scoring against Man Utd right at the end when we were 3-0 down.

Is that really the last time he scored there ? If it is it’s shocking for a forward.

• Like 1

I see Onel as more of a defensive winger these days, useful off the bench, strong and can dribble and dig in but technically he’s all over the shop. Showed all his usefulness tonight but still dining out on the credit in the bank he built up long ago during the promotion seasons (and the Covid games tbf to him).

If we really are going to regress to the mean of being a mid table champs side then for the right money, we could do a lot worse than keeping him about the place. Don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough to be much use for a promotion chasing side though.

47 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

Two in two games, plus the sitter Idah missed as well last week.

Exactly, and the Idah cross is far from the first sitter he’s teeed up this season only for it to go begging.

Even when the lad does well the fans are slagging him off, this week and last. It beggars belief. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You are just a wind up merchant............

1 minute ago, The Bunny said:

Exactly, and the Idah cross is far from the first sitter he’s teeed up this season only for it to go begging.

Even when the lad does well the fans are slagging him off, this week and last. It beggars belief. 

Yes, he is good defensively as well.

Credit to him for always showing up.

15 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You are just a wind up merchant............

Onel is a worthy member of the squad and always has been - and proved tonight he still has something to offer. Sorry if you don't agree, but no need for wum accusations. That just makes you look a bit silly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

One maybe two assists all season satisfies you from a forward then?

More garbage from LDC!

18 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

One maybe two assists all season satisfies you from a forward then?

More garbage from LDC!

Two assists with several key passes that strikers failed to finish during the season. Could he do better? Yes, but that is always the way with sport. I would never write off players just because they are getting older. His fitness is there, his desire is there - and as he showed tonight, the ability to produce is still there. He could do with a goal, but he has that in him. 

I notice there were threads writing Barnes off tonight too - well he proved he still has something to offer with his second half performance.

• Haha 1

Due to Wagner picking donkey's like Gibson in the team, we need are our midfield to stay back to protect him and the goal. So basically we operate with just 3 forward players. When we are under pressure, how does Hernandez create goals up there on his own ?  He is the best impact player to bring on due to his pace and aggressiveness. Today was just an example of his effectiveness where we had players get up to support him from a breakaway.  

13 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Onel is a worthy member of the squad and always has been - and proved tonight he still has something to offer. Sorry if you don't agree, but no need for wum accusations. That just makes you look a bit silly.

26 games and 2 assists suggests otherwise. Onel is a lovely bloke and Norwich City through and through but that clouds an objective appraisal of him as a footballer. So suggesting we can put to bed the "does not produce" opinion makes you look a bit silly. If at the end of the season Onels assist stats markedly improve then I am happy to admit I am wrong about him. So for me, I still love Onel but he needs to create an awful lot more. And you are definitely a WUM..................