Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Is knapper napping?

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

In fairness, carrying out a full review of football operations in this absolute mess was never going to be a five minute job

No, but it doesn't take 5 minutes to realise Wagner is utterly useless

5 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

In fairness, carrying out a full review of football operations in this absolute mess was never going to be a five minute job

Then what are we paying Neil Adams to do? Responsibilities need to be carved up somewhat and a bit of multi-tasking required. This isn't pissing around with Arsenal's loans now, we need to see a bit if action.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Then what are we paying Neil Adams to do? Responsibilities need to be carved up somewhat and a bit of multi-tasking required. This isn't pissing around with Arsenal's loans now, we need to see a bit if action.

I agree. I also stick to what I’ve been saying for sometime now. I genuinely believe that until Delia & MWJ’s influence is fully withdrawn, then nothing significant will change worryingly. 

For me, what needs to happen with the utmost urgency (delia and Michael aside) is a total overhaul of our recruitment setup.

Someone will need to wake him up as he’s about to have to do some work. Hwang has done his hamstring and is out for 6 weeks. A replacement is needed

It’s interesting that several are saying let Knapper get on with the important jobs. Communication can wait.

To me communication with your fan base is absolutely vital, right up there, particularly in a support led business like a football club. Even more so when there is an apparent disconnect like there is at the moment. To move forward we need to all pull together, the club and the fans. Never has there been a successful club when the team and fans aren’t pulling together. An interview giving an idea of how he thinks things need to change, how much the support is valued, asking for support and patience could hardly hurt could it?

• Confused 1

And now we learn he was not poised and ready to pounce once the window opened. Not ready to tell us what the vision is under his watch. 
So again I ask- is he napping? 
I can’t remember such a time of silent inertia in all my time supporting the club. What is going on? 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

And now we learn he was not poised and ready to pounce once the window opened. Not ready to tell us what the vision is under his watch. 
I can’t remember such a time of silent inertia in all my time supporting the club. What is going on? 

I have to confess bringing him early does just appear to me to have been a PR stunt. He’s not removed Wagner and we’ve not hit the ground running in the transfer window either. I’m not writing him off but with the lack of communication thrown in it’s been a very disappointing start. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I have to confess bringing him early does just appear to me to have been a PR stunt. He’s not removed Wagner and we’ve not hit the ground running in the transfer window either. I’m not writing him off but with the lack of communication thrown in it’s been a very disappointing start. 

also as Zoe is still here he can not come out and say the previous DOF did this wrong etc  ,

spent the money wrong like Webber did when he came in  ,

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I was assured people would rather no communication from an SD and let them get on with the job post Webber. I didnt' expect to go full circle so quickly!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Such entitlement, so many hurt feelings that BK isn't pandering to the desire of a few posters on here to do something, anything even.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2024 at 10:54, Dean Coneys boots said:

Am very surprised at the silence of Knapper. You would think he would have come out and done something by now- especially bring in his own manager given that anyone can see this one is average at best. What is his plan and vision? Why isn’t he implementing it? 

As a new fan, I don’t get the lack of movement in the transfer period here (nor do I really understand it still, haha). But I would think with the position we’re currently in we’d be looking to add a scoring piece for the rest of the season? Even despite the lows lately I think this team could make a push for the playoff 6 if given the chance with adding some resources and a scorer.

Maybe I’m way off base so would love to hear some people’s thoughts (and maybe some detail on the transfer periods). 

1 minute ago, CanadianCanary said:

As a new fan, I don’t get the lack of movement in the transfer period here (nor do I really understand it still, haha). But I would think with the position we’re currently in we’d be looking to add a scoring piece for the rest of the season? Even despite the lows lately I think this team could make a push for the playoff 6 if given the chance with adding some resources and a scorer.

Maybe I’m way off base so would love to hear some people’s thoughts (and maybe some detail on the transfer periods). 

Actually I think scoring goals is not so much the problem, especially with Josh Sargent returning from injury. 

I think we need a defensive midfielder who can shore up the defence and free up our existing midfielders to play to their strengths, which are attacking.

Really feel that one position could make a massive difference. Trouble is those players are very hard to find. We've failed to fill that position (the one-season loan of Olly Skipp aside) for about five years now.

On 02/01/2024 at 15:54, Dean Coneys boots said:

Am very surprised at the silence of Knapper. You would think he would have come out and done something by now- especially bring in his own manager given that anyone can see this one is average at best. What is his plan and vision? Why isn’t he implementing it? 

We can’t have it both ways, in Webber we had an open and honest SD who where possible laid all his plans out for all to see and he was criticised for it.

Knapper appears more ‘closed book’ however I still think he’s taking his time (and rightly so) to implement his plan and he’s starting to get criticised 

basically, chill out and wait for further instruction 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Yobocop said:

We can’t have it both ways, in Webber we had an open and honest SD who where possible laid all his plans out for all to see and he was criticised for it.

Not sure about the "honest" in that Yobo, sure he shot straight from the hip at times (snake pit divorcees, womens football is boring, etc. etc.), but did he manipulate recent changes to fit his philosophy or did he just blether away on strategic matters? As for the credit he took for kickstarting Colney's redevelopment when his wife had already delivered a feasibility study to McNally, well ....

As I've said many a time, it is better at the moment we let Knapper get on with all the work required for this transfer window (there will be lots of negotiating that doesn't actually result in anything, there will be many false leads, et al). Until Attanasio gets the EFL assent, the long term plans and strategy will remain up in the air given the stasis at Board level. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Not sure about the "honest" in that Yobo, sure he shot straight from the hip at times (snake pit divorcees, womens football is boring, etc. etc.), but did he manipulate recent changes to fit his philosophy or did he just blether away on strategic matters? As for the credit he took for kickstarting Colney's redevelopment when his wife had already delivered a feasibility study to McNally, well ....

As I've said many a time, it is better at the moment we let Knapper get on with all the work required for this transfer window (there will be lots of negotiating that doesn't actually result in anything, there will be many false leads, et al). Until Attanasio gets the EFL assent, the long term plans and strategy will remain up in the air given the stasis at Board level. 

Yes actually agree 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2024 at 16:30, shefcanary said:

Given the way our previous SD communicated, I think it better Knapper just gets on with the job. Leave him be. So who should speak to us about future strategy?

Delia usually is focussed on telling us we don't need to know, Attanasio just speaks business ****, Michael just wants a fag, Tom only says what his aunt tells him to. As for Zoe, well, er, er, by the time she has completed a sentence everyone has forgotten what she was talking about. Just get a good, independent but experienced Board &  football person and they can do all the communicating we need. 

Steve Stone.

Ben Knapper shouldn't make it past his probation. I understand Rome isn't built in a day, but the way he has allowed things to just drift, no communication, seemingly given up on this season and expecting the fans to just turn up is naive. He is out of his depth.

On 09/01/2024 at 14:23, CanadianCanary said:

Personally I don't think our problem is scoring goals (although we look very thin at the moment if Sargent gets injured again). For me, we are playing a system that doesn't work, at least with the players at our disposal. We are just relying on moments of individual brilliance from the handful of players we have who are very good at this level, but collectively we lack shape and unity and structure. Our squad overall has declined since the last promotion, but it's still one of the better squads in this league IMO. Basically we are less than the sum of our parts, and there are lots of teams in this league which are better organised.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Personally I don't think our problem is scoring goals (although we look very thin at the moment if Sargent gets injured again). For me, we are playing a system that doesn't work, at least with the players at our disposal. We are just relying on moments of individual brilliance from the handful of players we have who are very good at this level, but collectively we lack shape and unity and structure. Our squad overall has declined since the last promotion, but it's still one of the better squads in this league IMO. Basically we are less than the sum of our parts, and there are lots of teams in this league which are better organised.  

We aren't playing a system that doesn't work cos we don't have a system. Every time I watch us I struggle to see what we are trying to do. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2024 at 15:54, Dean Coneys boots said:

Not allowed to say anything, has to wait for Delia to give him permission, and that's why there's no plan and vision

15 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Great summary and totally fair. Maybe what I meant to say was we lack that “killer instinct” goal scoring. I wish when we got up 1-0 (like today) we’d play for another rather than sit back and hope our so-so back half and big stops by Gunn can win us a game. I guess that’s more on Wagner than the players. I agree we’ve are definitely less than the sum of the parts, very well put. 

15 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This very accurately predicted what's happened tonight. Almost prescient. 

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

This very accurately predicted what's happened tonight. Almost prescient. 

I worry that the way we are playing is OK for a team treading water but it won't provide any kind of forward-thinking, long-term blueprint for our future. Rowe will be gone in the summer, and perhaps also Sara and even Sargent. Then we will be left without these 'weapons' (to use Parma's phrase) and we won't have a compensating shape or structure which will carry a group of average Championship players forward.

We have to trust that Knapper recognises this and is thinking long-term behind the scenes. Otherwise, it's hard to see anything other than a long-term decline. The Championship is harsh on former parachute clubs that have lost their way.