Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Is knapper napping?

Am very surprised at the silence of Knapper. You would think he would have come out and done something by now- especially bring in his own manager given that anyone can see this one is average at best. What is his plan and vision? Why isn’t he implementing it? 

Posted (edited)

I repeat, bring back Webber!

The club communicated far more often with Stu here.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

He’s bitten off a lot here. I imagine he’s being “backed” in the usual way football people are “backed” by this club.

Where do you even begin? It’s pretty chaotic.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You and about 2 others on here would like that. 

• Like 2

This communication thing that posters criticise our Sporting Directors for the lack of is laughable. How often do other SDs “communicate”? Do you want Knapper’s diary printed in the match programme with notes or what?

• Like 2

Given the way our previous SD communicated, I think it better Knapper just gets on with the job. Leave him be. So who should speak to us about future strategy?

Delia usually is focussed on telling us we don't need to know, Attanasio just speaks business ****, Michael just wants a fag, Tom only says what his aunt tells him to. As for Zoe, well, er, er, by the time she has completed a sentence everyone has forgotten what she was talking about. Just get a good, independent but experienced Board &  football person and they can do all the communicating we need. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Didn’t realised that it was 1st April already.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Am very surprised at the silence of Knapper. You would think he would have come out and done something by now- especially bring in his own manager given that anyone can see this one is average at best. What is his plan and vision? Why isn’t he implementing it? 

Best boss I ever had came into the business and just shadowed the managers and different teams for 3 months then went off and hid in his office for 3 months.
Like a caterpillar he came out at around 5-6 months and basically gave us his 5 year vision.
Within 12 months he had cleared deadwood, bought in 3 awesome managers , promoted 6 people and the business was running like a finely oiled machine.
His whole ethos was to watch and fix rather than leap in with a hammer and start fixing things.
Guy was a pleasure to work with.

Just saying.......

• Like 6

Even before the appointment he was a disaster waiting to happen, he has no skills to do the role whatsoever 

he is clearly out of his depth, in a panic and has no idea what to do.

There is no one in football with an credibility that thinks Wagner should still be in role 

• Haha 1

I remember arguing on here last time Webber said something that upset a load of fans. A good number of people on here said they'd rather he said nothing and got on with his job. I said if he said nothing you'd accuse the club of not communicating. They said I was wrong.

So I'm interested what certain posters might have to say on this thread 😅

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I remember arguing on here last time Webber said something that upset a load of fans. A good number of people on here said they'd rather he said nothing and got on with his job. I said if he said nothing you'd accuse the club of not communicating. They said I was wrong.

Hopefully Knapper is working on shifting some deadwood and signing some players with potential to push us on a level ,

if he starts next season with Wagner then i will worry he is not up to job 

but new signings and Planning Sara and Rowe replacements if needed are key 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I don’t care about his keeping quiet verbally but am speaking of a lack of any action at all when anyone can see change is needed at managerial level

• Like 1

I've really never cared what the SD says, the last one opened his trap far too often for his own good. I care what they do, let's see what happens in the next 4 weeks

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Knapper has come into a club where the owner has offered the Manager reassurance just before he started. He’s also likely to have run his own rule over the place, but none the less the former gave him no scope in which to operate suddenly. Wagner, no doubt aware on the thin ice on which he was skating, has very luckily - given the performances - got an upturn in results. That has continued against seemingly big odds against Ipswich and Southampton. 
In fairness to Knapper - on a results basis alone I can see why he’s yet to dismiss Wagner. Assuming he even has the scope to do so at this point. 

But performance wise this must surely be a million miles from what he wants. And I sincerely hope he has the next option(s) lined up. I also hope that it is he driving transfer business and not Wagner. 

Wagner is on borrowed time. I still feel with a better manager we could perhaps nick 6th. But we won’t under him. The question remains when does he go. The answer is not yet as the results are saving him 

• Confused 1

He’s meant to be a stats man. And the stats tell you Wagner is ordinary at best, has no meaningful game management, makes wierd substitutions, stubbornly sticks to a failing formation, cannot organise a midfield and plays people out of position. Taxi…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

He’s meant to be a stats man. And the stats tell you Wagner is ordinary at best, has no meaningful game management, makes wierd substitutions, stubbornly sticks to a failing formation, cannot organise a midfield and plays people out of position. Taxi…

You say that Knapper is a stats man, and you are quite correct, but you then list a few of Wagner's shortcomings which cannot be measured by stats.

For what it's worth, there's no way Wagner will be here long term because he doesn't appear to fit in with Knapper's ideology, based on the interview he gave on his first day and the other tidbits we've been fed about him. I reckon the plan is probably to stick with Wagner until the end of the season or until we've got no chance of the playoffs, whilst hoping for a minor miracle, and then we'll see a massive overhaul of the playing squad in the summer with a new head coach in charge.

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

I've really never cared what the SD says, the last one opened his trap far too often for his own good. I care what they do, let's see what happens in the next 4 weeks

100% this, I’m far more interested in what happens the next few weeks than anything he has to say about it right now.

The clubs communication could do with improvement but there’s never been a need for the SD to be the figurehead, in fact with Webber it was as eyebrow raising as insightful, just for someone to be.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You are wasted on here mate. Get your very knowledgeable backside up to Colney and ask if you can be Knappers right hand man. Your club needs you, do it................

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

7 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

He’s bitten off a lot here. I imagine he’s being “backed” in the usual way football people are “backed” by this club.

Where do you even begin? It’s pretty chaotic.

We do have to consider the possibility that the pot is just completely empty.

No money to sack Wagner, no money to hire anybody worth hiring as anybody worth hiring will present a transfer window shopping list that we have no money to comply with.

The other day I said that we need to back him or sack him, we could just not have the money to do either.

Remember when the Labour chancellor left his Tory successor a note saying "Sorry there is money left", perhaps that is what Webber has essentially left Knapper.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place if so. Flog Sara or Rowe in January and their would be mutiny, and season ticket cancellations. 

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This communication thing that posters criticise our Sporting Directors for the lack of is laughable. How often do other SDs “communicate”? Do you want Knapper’s diary printed in the match programme with notes or what?

I don’t care how other SDs do it. I want ours to break the mold and talk to us

Does talking really help? Every time Webber opened his mouth, he put his foot in it. And now Delia, enamoured with him like a lovesick schoolgirl, is following his example.

I'm interested in what Knapper does, not what he says. And at this point we simply have to trust that he knows what he is doing and give him time. Because if he doesn't, we are truly in the mire. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Whilst Delia and MWJ are at the helm, there is no plan or vision. Knapper is a yes man, and will do what he is asked to do, just as Webber was! NCFC is just another football club going down the pan through a distinct lack of know how, and capital. Get used to it!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I think you have been spoilt by the brutal honesty of Webber's spun but honest (as he saw it) utterances, and expect every SD to provide flow of consciousness comms. (I am talking frequency, not quality of content).

It doesn't work like that. Knapper works in the background and will communicate from time to time. Less is more. Let him do his job. He won't be issuing a 'Comminique to Dean Coney's Boots' every five minutes, so you will continue to be a disappointed little bunny, no pun intended.

PS Or is this just another way of getting at Weber?

Edited by Pugin

I guess I am recalling how Webber came in- appointed farke and got going from the off. McNally also came out the traps with an obvious plan. So far - 60 days in- and only silence from Knapper with a misfiring manager plodding on…it just seems odd. One would have thought a first appointment would see a plan unfolding but then, as others suggest, we might lack the funds to do anything 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, City 2nd said:

Whilst Delia and MWJ are at the helm, there is no plan or vision. Knapper is a yes man, and will do what he is asked to do, just as Webber was! NCFC is just another football club going down the pan through a distinct lack of know how, and capital. Get used to it!

Just wondering how well you know Knapper to call him a yes man?

After all, an ambitious bloke who's been working at a high profile club takes a rare opportunity for an all encompassing SD role at an English club, with this being his first opportunity to prove himself, and you think he will risk his entire reputation, ignore his own thoughts and do what a couple of people in their 80s think? And Attanasio will encourage it?

I mean with that sort of thought process it's a miracle you're able to string a sentence together on here, so I commend you on that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I guess I am recalling how Webber came in- appointed farke and got going from the off. McNally also came out the traps with an obvious plan. So far - 60 days in- and only silence from Knapper with a misfiring manager plodding on…it just seems odd. One would have thought a first appointment would see a plan unfolding but then, as others suggest, we might lack the funds to do anything 

But they came in (if my memory serves me correctly - please tell me if I'm wrong) at a different point in the season. It's much more difficult to be instantly proactive when there are often three games a week immediately after you get on board. Also Knapper is also coming in to a different reality. Neither Webber nor McNally had Delia making their jobs harder by telling the current manager that he had the Board's support. 

After the bad relations between club and supporters fostered by Webber and Dean Smith, IMO we need a period of calm and reflection. Unfortunately, Delia's snippy performance at the AGM and subsequent interview did nothing to enable that.

Judging by Attanasio's comments about Knapper, the new SD has his full support, which is good. I know I'm more or less writing off the season here, which I hate doing, but I feel we're going nowhere - up or down - and making well-considered decisions for the long term is far more important than another mad, failed dash at an unlikely promotion. We've got the current Dad's Army which we won't find easy to shift because of short-termism and I personally want strategic thinking instead of Webber's self-interested lunge at promotion so that he could say he left the club in the PL.

And, in my opinion, we need Delia to become a total irrelevance in terms of the club's future.

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm happy for him to get on with the job. Any communication should be by a respected, but independent, member of the Board with a good background in football preferably. Still a long way off seeing that though in the current period of the "majority shareholder concord". 

[Author is tapping his fingers on his desk again, waiting for change to complete.]

I experienced the same as @Nexus_Canary in one role, the first 6 months the new CEO gave me responsibility to run the place whilst he worked his magic in the background. We had a brilliant few years after that until the 2007 banking collapse meant everything changed, the company had the strength to survive, but out of necessity without us.

So let Knapper get on with the really important stuff, improving on the recent recruitment experience. The club has to find someone else to communicate.

• Like 2

And again I ask is knapper napping? He came in early due to the pressing need for him…and seems to have done nothing since. What’s the point of him?  

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And again I ask is knapper napping? He came in early due to the pressing need for him…and seems to have done nothing since. What’s the point of him?  

In fairness, carrying out a full review of football operations in this absolute mess was never going to be a five minute job