Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

I wish we'd gone for Russell Martin

I would have loved Martin.

Pre-season though and even 8-10 games in he was a figure of ridicule amongst some for his style of play when it wasn't getting results, and prickly soundbites in the media. We don't have the environment for him to succeed here

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Yes I seem to remember that he wasn't a popular choice.

That seems to have been a mistake.

Our fans are pretty poor judges. Russell Martin would have been a better choice than either of the managers we've had since Farke; who himself would be better still if we'd simply not sacked him. 

• Like 1

Same idiots who put down Neil Adams, put down Martin; I’ve always been keen on keeping things in-house. I don’t think Martin’s would necessarily succeed but a good candidate. 

Right place right time Russell 

that said he’s earned every right to be there so fair play to him

does he still model himself on Farke?

Said on here many times we should have him. 
thought it was inevitable as Delia loves him. 
would not have been disappointed. 
better than our current and last manager who are mates choice and Smith who was second choice

Didn’t want him at the time, thought we could do better. Didn’t really get the hype around him either, he’d been solid to date, but not spectacular.

He’s got Saints playing, but he’s also got arguably the best squad in the league. Jury is still out for me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The boat sailed with Russell Martin as he would never have come back whilst Webber still had a desk at Colney.

Those that know will know.

Struggling with this one, Martin has regularly been gushing of his praise of Webber since he left, including this a couple of years ago;

"One of Stuart's best traits is that he's a doer. He really gets things done. He's brutally honest with people so everyone knows where they stand from day one," Martin told the Training Ground Guru podcast."

He also said he calls him for advice and we sent him a couple of loans whilst at MK Dons.

All seemed pretty amiable to me.

Edited by canarydan23

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

The toxic part of our fanbase wouldn't have accepted it. You should have seen the backlash when his name was merely mentioned.

Absolutely this. He’d have been crucified on here the moment anything went wrong. There were already posts on here when he got off to a relatively slow start at Southampton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Struggling with this one, Martin has regularly been gushing of his praise of Webber since he left, including this a couple of years ago;

"One of Stuart's best traits is that he's a doer. He really gets things done. He's brutally honest with people so everyone knows where they stand from day one," Martin told the Training Ground Guru podcast."

He also said he calls him for advice and we sent him a couple of loans whilst at MK Dons.

All seemed pretty amiable to me.

Yeah, and they've been at matches sat together chatting at times in the past few years too.

He was my first choice when Smith was sacked and I stated that on many occasions on this forum. He was the closest thing to Farke available and he knew the division.

Unfortunately, he was also a former captain with a few hundred appearances. This would've meant that a lot of fans would've screamed 'little old Norwich' without even looking at his CV.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He was my first choice when Smith was sacked and I stated that on many occasions on this forum. He was the closest thing to Farke available and he knew the division.

Unfortunately, he was also a former captain with a few hundred appearances. This would've meant that a lot of fans would've screamed 'little old Norwich' without even looking at his CV.

Yes, I remember you being a big advocate. And yes the little old norwich would have added extra pressure and got fans turning too quickly when it's quite clear that like Farke, it takes time for teams to adjust to Martins style.

I didn't want him at the time, mainly because of the toxic element amongst our fans, who would turn on him straight away if things went wrong initially, given his past history with us. 

Now? In hindsight he would have been the perfect choice to replace Farke, but then the remit was to try and stay in the PL, not play pretty football. That remit was pointless, short-term and just plain impossible - and we should have stuck with Farke, but yes, Martin would have given us Farke style continuity.

Just makes the last two years look even crazier when you see how well they are both doing, while we have had two managers, neither of who offer anything like what is required. 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I didn't want him at the time, mainly because of the toxic element amongst our fans, who would turn on him straight away if things went wrong initially, given his past history with us. 

Now? In hindsight he would have been the perfect choice to replace Farke, but then the remit was to try and stay in the PL, not play pretty football. That remit was pointless, short-term and just plain impossible - and we should have stuck with Farke, but yes, Martin would have given us Farke style continuity.

Just makes the last two years look even crazier when you see how well they are both doing, while we have had two managers, neither of who offer anything like what is required. 

Farke isn't doing well. Leeds fans want him out. They lost to West Brom with one of the best squads in the league 1-0 while we lost 1-0 with 10 men and a far inferior squad.

Farke is currently underperforming with that squad by some point margin.

• Like 1

I would have had Russel in a heartbeat and would have given him all the time he needed. An excellent player for us and a great guy.

The problems are at the top. We are rudderless, the captain hasn’t abandoned ship but she’s just gone to the bar and abandoned the bridge.

• Like 1

This club is going nowhere until we move on from Farke.

Farke means nothing to Knapper, it won't even cross his mind. The only thing relevant is Farke's record for getting a team promoted, but there are 3 teams do that every season. Maybe Knapper needs to recognise what success looks like getting out of the Championship. It was Wagner once, it might be Martin, but having a squad so much better than others else helps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

The toxic part of our fanbase wouldn't have accepted it. You should have seen the backlash when his name was merely mentioned.

I wouldn't have been in favour but if he'd have won games it would easily have won the fans over. It isn't tough.

• Like 1

Love how people are going on about how in the know they are and all "ohhhh so much drama about Martin but that ship has sailed I could tell you all the secrets but I won't.."

As I often said every time I saw one of Cantwells cryptic posts either spill the beans or shut up.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

54 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Farke isn't doing well. Leeds fans want him out. They lost to West Brom with one of the best squads in the league 1-0 while we lost 1-0 with 10 men and a far inferior squad.

Farke is currently underperforming with that squad by some point margin.

Some Leeds fans might get toxic after one or two poor results, but you get that at any club. We seem to have a fair few single brain cell fans who want managers out at the slightest problem. The general consensus at Leeds is that this season is a rebuilding job, not a promotion at all costs season. 

• Like 1

I find this thread genuinely hilarious.

Rus Martin was mentioned in hushed tones around a few when Smith was stinking the place up with his weak placid cups of tea and football.
Anyone mentioning Martin would get a "Look at Swansea" retort or something about him being a crap defender.

Now look at yall, fickle bunch.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I wouldn't have been in favour but if he'd have won games it would easily have won the fans over. It isn't tough.

Of course but it's taken a while for Russ to get any of his teams playing how he wants and its pretty evident our fans wouldn't have given him the time required as we see all the negativity whilst being 2 points from playoffs a game ago.

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Some Leeds fans might get toxic after one or two poor results, but you get that at any club. We seem to have a fair few single brain cell fans who want managers out at the slightest problem. The general consensus at Leeds is that this season is a rebuilding job, not a promotion at all costs season. 

Well, having Leeds supporting family much to my detriment, they actually generally believe they have one of the best squads in the league. Certainly top 2. They gave some leeway for a difficult start with players wanting out but note that Leicester went through the same.

Ultimately they're underperforming by around 12 points which is significant. Probably about the same as we are. Good chance Farke doesn't last the season.

I Did not want Russell it was nothing to do with him it was Delia 

imagine what she would have been like with Russell Martin ! 

bad enough with the other managers getting far to friendly ,

that's the Reason i didn't want him back because i wanted that professional distance ,

it didn't work out that way as Delia seems to love Wagner just the same 

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, having Leeds supporting family much to my detriment, they actually generally believe they have one of the best squads in the league. Certainly top 2. They gave some leeway for a difficult start with players wanting out but note that Leicester went through the same.

Ultimately they're underperforming by around 12 points which is significant. Probably about the same as we are. Good chance Farke doesn't last the season.

I think he'll last as long as they remain comfortably top 6. Any hint they might miss the playoffs and he could go though.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think he'll last as long as they remain comfortably top 6. Any hint they might miss the playoffs and he could go though.

Probably right although it does depend on when the Leeds home fans turn, if they do it's generally far more aggressive than when we do and managers rarely survive that at Elland Road.  

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

They also still have their knickers in a twist over that Argentine loon Bielsa.

So we wait for them to fire farke, we offer Danny boy the keys to the city then pick up where we left off.

Sign Mumba back and Carlton Morris then everyone will be happy 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

They also still have their knickers in a twist over that Argentine loon Bielsa.

So we wait for them to fire farke, we offer Danny boy the keys to the city then pick up where we left off.

Sign Mumba back and Carlton Morris then everyone will be happy 

I think the Mumba love in has died down since he's done naff all this season 😅

• Like 1

Just now, horsefly said:

On a daily basis how many people cringe at you because you relate everything to politics my dude?

politics is boring and politics people are boring these are facts.

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

FB_IMG_1703960188902.jpg