rock bus

Just want the season to end

I can’t remember feeling this despondent and uninspired by a Norwich team for years.

I just want the season to end as quickly as possible in the hope that we then see Wagner sacked and a complete overhaul of the squad. I’m not expecting us to be competing for promotion for years but I’d at least like to be able to support a young team being coached to play good football rather than watching the dross produced by all these has beens (never beens).

I’m just a non local arm chair fan who can’t even to be bothered to watch via a stream anymore so my thoughts are with all you season ticket holders who have paid and therefore will have to endure more of this rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I can’t remember feeling this despondent and uninspired by a Norwich team for years.

I just want the season to end as quickly as possible in the hope that we then see Wagner sacked and a complete overhaul of the squad. I’m not expecting us to be competing for promotion for years but I’d at least like to be able to support a young team being coached to play good football rather than watching the dross produced by all these has beens (never beens).

I’m just a non local arm chair fan who can’t even to be bothered to watch via a stream anymore so my thoughts are with all you season ticket holders who have paid and therefore will have to endure more of this rubbish.

Oh I enjoy the matchday experience whatever. We've had some great times, but Smith and Wagner have ripped the heart out of our club. I cannot recall successive managers being so utterly dire.

The best thing to happen this season is avoiding defeat to Ipswich. That’s how desperate things are. 

57 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Last year was way worse than this. Im actually enjoying elements of this year compared to the last two.

It's a bit like saying walking on Lego is slightly less painful than walking on broken glass.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

Start the overhaul now. Why putnit all on summer and not have us up to speed? Get a new man in, if we can get him a signing or two and start building for next season. 

1 hour ago, Dame to Blame said:

Its just the same as last season. And still we persist in keeping that clown Wagner in charge. A club sleep walking into nothingness . 

It's much more than Wagner, although I agree he has to go. It's the whole club from top to bottom. 

we had a good run.

Having completely squandered the Prem parachute opportunity then mid table Championship is sadly our level, competing for 3 places out of the top 6 (4 places if we're lucky)

we're not bad enough to go down but we are now just another Preston, Millwall, Birmingham. The stodge that won't flush

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Crap result tonight, but let's not forget we were playing with 10 men for majority of match a few days previous, and we have some big matches coming up - Wagner had too much of an eye on Saints match, clearly.   Or squad was feeling it behind the scenes - who knows.

Rather than wanting the season to end, I'm looking forwards to it - we'll be looking at a far different starting 11 in the coming weeks that includes both Sarge and Sainz in this squad, which is going to free up Rowe and allow Barnes to be the pest that we loved start of season.

The big question is through the middle and this whole Nunez, Sara, McLean and the centerback issue - Will that be in rectified in January perhaps?  Knapper will be making his first plays..   I wouldn't be jumping off the carriage quite yet personally, we're barely halfway through and just endured a long period of injuries, it can only get better.   .......right?!   :classic_huh:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Crap result tonight, but let's not forget we were playing with 10 men for majority of match a few days previous, and we have some big matches coming up - Wagner had too much of an eye on Saints match, clearly.   Or squad was feeling it behind the scenes - who knows.

Rather than wanting the season to end, I'm looking forwards to it - we'll be looking at a far different starting 11 in the coming weeks that includes both Sarge and Sainz in this squad, which is going to free up Rowe and allow Barnes to be the pest that we loved start of season.

The big question is through the middle and this whole Nunez, Sara, McLean and the centerback issue - Will that be in rectified in January perhaps?  Knapper will be making his first plays..   I wouldn't be jumping off the carriage quite yet personally, we're barely halfway through and just endured a long period of injuries, it can only get better.   .......right?!   :classic_huh:

Barnes is not a pest - he is a thug who drags games down into petulance and aggression, and when he gets the chance to do something other than get into squabbles and mouth off (e.g. the first minute of last night's game) he screws up. He is not proving a good role model for our youngsters, unless we want them all to turn into louts. It's no use lecturing Sainz for ill-discipline if he then sees a very experienced colleague behave like a drunk in Prince of Wales Road.

Many are clinging to the hope that Sargent will be some kind of saviour coming in on his white charger. We will almost certainly be better with him than without him, but he is not suddenly going to transform us into a slick unit.

This season is effectively over, a third season in a row where many people feel like the OP and wish it was. I hope Knapper is busy targetting a new manager and working out how to get rid of all the old farts that Webber has landed us with. 

7 hours ago, Canario said:

Start the overhaul now. Why putnit all on summer and not have us up to speed? Get a new man in, if we can get him a signing or two and start building for next season. 

I would hope that Knapper is viewing a critical eye on the scouts/scouting system as a starting point.

A system that has recently brought Fassnacht (where?), Forshaw (who?) and Long (Why?) into the club and onto the wages bill. Three players who are seemingly not even capable of performing at mid-Chumps mediocrity level. Three pointless additions. We all know who sanctioned these "finds"  and he's gone, and who approved these "finds," and he should have gone, but it must have been the scouts who recommended them as being suitable in the first place.

That's just scraping the surface and without going into the accumulation of a fairly average bunch of ageing players who offer little hope for the future.

The jury that seemed permanently out on Wagner for a long time had finally come up with its decision. OUT! All that's left now is the sentencing. WHEN?

Slightly swayed by the recent run of good results (if little else) I was in the way of thinking and was beginning to come round to the idea of giving the man a crack at a top-six place (with scant hope in the play-offs though) and thus giving Ben Knapper more time to perfect his inevitable replacement. It doesn't seem to have taken long for feelings to edge towards wishing there had been a swift decision and a new man in in time for the new window.

Impossible now.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This season is effectively over, a third season in a row where many people feel like the OP and wish it was.

I appreciate your eagerness to write the season off and to dismiss Barnes as a 'thug', but I disagree entirely on both counts.  The season is barely half way through and we've not seen Sainz and Sarge play together so there's very much more to come from this current setup, and that's ignoring any possible additions in January.

In regards to Barnes, look at our results with him in the team vs not - we lost 6 out of 9 when he was injured, and then went on a great run of form when he returned. As we were on a great run when he and Sarge were playing together start of season.

As for being a thug, Nunez, Rowe and Sara each have more championship yellow cards this season.  So may I suggest he's a lot smarter and wiser than you give him credit?   Let's not forget that his role in this team is to do the dirty work and be the pest with Sarge offering the work-rate, mobility and finishing. 

It's the combination of that kind of pressure backed up with the likes of Rowe and Sainz that really excites me second half of the season.   It will not be a coincidence that we'll see a vast improvement having our first choice players fit and available. 

In my opinion, the time to bottle it was when we were losing players, not regaining them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Barnes is not a pest - he is a thug who drags games down into petulance and aggression, and when he gets the chance to do something other than get into squabbles and mouth off (e.g. the first minute of last night's game) he screws up. He is not proving a good role model for our youngsters, unless we want them all to turn into louts. It's no use lecturing Sainz for ill-discipline if he then sees a very experienced colleague behave like a drunk in Prince of Wales Road.

Many are clinging to the hope that Sargent will be some kind of saviour coming in on his white charger. We will almost certainly be better with him than without him, but he is not suddenly going to transform us into a slick unit.

This season is effectively over, a third season in a row where many people feel like the OP and wish it was. I hope Knapper is busy targetting a new manager and working out how to get rid of all the old farts that Webber has landed us with. 

I’m glad Barnes is a thug (as you rather pathetically call him), somebody willing to get stuck into the opposition and give as good as they get is something the team has been lacking since before Farkes tenure. I used to get great joy out of the likes of Holt and Iwan’s general sh1thousery, and I get the same watching Barnes winding up the opposition . I just wish he was as good as those two players I mentioned 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I’m glad Barnes is a thug (as you rather pathetically call him), somebody willing to get stuck into the opposition and give as good as they get is something the team has been lacking since before Farkes tenure. I used to get great joy out of the likes of Holt and Iwan’s general sh1thousery, and I get the same watching Barnes winding up the opposition . I just wish he was as good as those two players I mentioned 

So you think it's a plus that he pushes an opponent to the ground and then wrestles with him, which should have led to a red card and our team being down to ten men for the second time in four days? You think it's a plus that his out-of-control behaviour led to the second half of the game becoming a war and energising the Millwall crowd, something which was everything the Millwall team on the pitch could have wished for? You think it's a plus that four days after Sainz was stupidly sent off, a 34-year-old player who was brought in partly to give guidance to our youngsters behaves even more stupidly than Sainz had?

The opposition was winding up Barnes, not the other way around. That's the difference between him and Holt/Iwan.

As for 'something the team has been lacking since before Farke', does this mean you didn't appreciate Farke's football because it focused on technical ability rather than winding up and fouling the opponents and you would have preferred a squad of less gifted hoofers as long as they got stuck in? If so, I'd ask you which was more successful at this level, Farke's last two seasons or the football we are currently being served up since we bought a load of old cloggers? Are you happier being a bang average midtable Championship club as long as we get to see our players kick the opposition now and again?

People often say it's impossible for a team with our resources to stay up in the PL if they try to play flowing attractive football, and I accept that Burnley are currently showing that this may have become true (unlike in the days when Swansea were able to survive). But Sheffield United suggest that being little more than a team of nasty cloggers doesn't work very well either. They are looking even worse than we did in our last PL effort.

Yes, a team needs one or two intelligent sh1thousers. It doesn't need 34-year-old idiots who lose total control and effectively become sh1thoused themselves. 

I actually enjoyed watching the Millwall game in terms of entertainment- it got spicey and there was genuine drama at the end with us pushing for something. It’s just the actual football that is an issue and- in my opinion - the manager is the weakest link. Weird tactics - far too slow in the build up- rigid systems- mental selections and awful in game management and subs. It’s for this he should go- can’t help thinking a better manager would get a tune out of them - I mean imagine the diamond with Sara at the attacking end not the defending one? And with Gibbs playing defensively not attacking. I could go on…he plays almost all out of position and persists with misfiring duds like Onel whilst benching Rowe for not playing well enough…mad

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So you think it's a plus that he pushes an opponent to the ground and then wrestles with him, which should have led to a red card and our team being down to ten men for the second time in four days? You think it's a plus that his out-of-control behaviour led to the second half of the game becoming a war and energising the Millwall crowd, something which was everything the Millwall team on the pitch could have wished for? You think it's a plus that four days after Sainz was stupidly sent off, a 34-year-old player who was brought in partly to give guidance to our youngsters behaves even more stupidly than Sainz had?

The opposition was winding up Barnes, not the other way around. That's the difference between him and Holt/Iwan.

As for 'something the team has been lacking since before Farke', does this mean you didn't appreciate Farke's football because it focused on technical ability rather than winding up and fouling the opponents and you would have preferred a squad of less gifted hoofers as long as they got stuck in? If so, I'd ask you which was more successful at this level, Farke's last two seasons or the football we are currently being served up since we bought a load of old cloggers? Are you happier being a bang average midtable Championship club as long as we get to see our players kick the opposition now and again?

People often say it's impossible for a team with our resources to stay up in the PL if they try to play flowing attractive football, and I accept that Burnley are currently showing that this may have become true (unlike in the days when Swansea were able to survive). But Sheffield United suggest that being little more than a team of nasty cloggers doesn't work very well either. They are looking even worse than we did in our last PL effort.

Yes, a team needs one or two intelligent sh1thousers. It doesn't need 34-year-old idiots who lose total control and effectively become sh1thoused themselves. 

Farkes pretty football worked because we had three players in Buendia, Pukki and Skipp who were miles above the level they were playing it. Players of that calibre don’t come around very often in the second division (especially three at the same time) so let’s not pretend it’s a blueprint that’s easily replicated season after season. I can enjoy many aspects of watching a football match, I enjoy a crunching tackle just as much as a nice bit of skill. I like watching our players wind up the opposition, and dishing out abuse to any opposition player who gives a bit back.

I enjoyed watching Farkes football when we won, but I thought what was offered up in his first season before he had Buendia to unlock defences was incredibly ponderous and tedious to watch. The more direct, gung ho football under Lambert and Worthington was arguably more exciting if not as technically purist.

If you think a second division side is always going to be able to find players who can win games playing like the Ajax of old then you’re very much mistaken. Yes Barnes can count himself lucky not to have been punished against Millwall, but I’m certainly not going to criticise him for getting stuck into them even if he did briefly lose his head.

The game would lose something if no players ever played with aggression

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I actually enjoyed watching the Millwall game in terms of entertainment- it got spicey and there was genuine drama at the end with us pushing for something. It’s just the actual football that is an issue and- in my opinion - the manager is the weakest link. Weird tactics - far too slow in the build up- rigid systems- mental selections and awful in game management and subs. It’s for this he should go- can’t help thinking a better manager would get a tune out of them - I mean imagine the diamond with Sara at the attacking end not the defending one? And with Gibbs playing defensively not attacking. I could go on…he plays almost all out of position and persists with misfiring duds like Onel whilst benching Rowe for not playing well enough…mad

I agree it wasn’t a bad game to watch, it was exciting enough we were just rubbish.

Wagner does himself no favour though. He’d stumbled on a system that was picking up results (one to be fair not many of us would have picked with McLean in defence) and then first opportunity he gets he reverts back to the system we had when we were on a terrible run 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I agree it wasn’t a bad game to watch, it was exciting enough we were just rubbish.

Wagner does himself no favour though. He’d stumbled on a system that was picking up results (one to be fair not many of us would have picked with McLean in defence) and then first opportunity he gets he reverts back to the system we had when we were on a terrible run 

We obviously disagree completely about Barnes, but at least we agree on what you say about Wagner here. For me, his problem is he tries to be too clever by half: the obvious thing to do was continue the system he had stumbled on until it showed signs of not working any more. 

5 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

The problem is Barnes at 34 is a shadow of the player he was. Age catches up with them all. Holt and Iwan were younger. It’s just embarrassing watching his antics when he hasn’t got enough left in the locker to back it up playing football.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Just now, ......and Smith must score. said:

The problem is Barnes at 34 is a shadow of the player he was. Holt and Iwan were younger. It’s just embarrassing watching his antics when he hasn’t got enough left in the locker to back it up playing football.

I’m not saying he’s anywhere near as good for us as the players I mentioned. My point was the original poster was moaning that he puts himself a bit rather than trying to play like Messi, as if there’s only one way to play the game 

Play offs remain a possibility this season. I've seen enough good stuff from the squad to believe they have it in them to get to the playoffs; I haven't seen enough consistency from Wagner to believe he's got it in him to manage them well enough to deliver the consistency for a play off finish.

I don't see anything to lose from changing manager at the moment, while I do see something to gain. Like the OP suggests, it just feels like we're drifting at the moment.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Play offs remain a possibility this season. I've seen enough good stuff from the squad to believe they have it in them to get to the playoffs; I haven't seen enough consistency from Wagner to believe he's got it in him to manage them well enough to deliver the consistency for a play off finish.

I don't see anything to lose from changing manager at the moment, while I do see something to gain. Like the OP suggests, it just feels like we're drifting at the moment.

Top 6 or top 16? To reach the Play-Offs we’re trading at 9/1, I’d want bigger odds than that. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Top 6 or top 16? To reach the Play-Offs we’re trading at 9/1, I’d want bigger odds than that. 

I don’t get this too 6 finish, there’s three teams with very good squads and then there’s the rest! The Binners are higher than they should be by using the young coach method from a successful club…..we did that! Southampton & Leicester we’re my two auto picks and I stick by Leeds at the third.

This squad has three or four quality players and the rest aging journeymen with aging legs and poor motivation, noticeable on the pitch during the game!

I’d rather look at how we rebuild from here, if that’s a change of coach and players over five years then great! But Dads Army & Wagner isn’t working really is it?

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I don’t get this too 6 finish, there’s three teams with very good squads and then there’s the rest! The Binners are higher than they should be by using the young coach method from a successful club…..we did that! Southampton & Leicester we’re my two auto picks and I stick by Leeds at the third.

This squad has three or four quality players and the rest aging journeymen with aging legs and poor motivation, noticeable on the pitch during the game!

I’d rather look at how we rebuild from here, if that’s a change of coach and players over five years then great! But Dads Army & Wagner isn’t working really is it?

No way we’re finishing above teams like Albion, Boro and Coventry. At best maybe one of them make the top 6 but it certainly won’t be us.