cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Lions V Canaries*

19 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

An odd line up. I assume Duffy injured and Rowe rested? Odd one dropping Rowe with Sainz also missing though. 

Let's hope this isn't an indication that Rowe is about to be sold 

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Let's hope this isn't an indication that Rowe is about to be sold 

Or prehaps it's beacuase he's already started in and played in two matches this week?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

18 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Any team selection is as much about combating any threats from them, as it is about posing ones of our own

When you start with Hernandez, you have little intention of posing a serious threat to the opposition.

When you start with Gibson , you are inviting trouble.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or prehaps it's beacuase he's already started in and played in two matches this week?

Who knows, I don't understand Wagners decisions at the best of times.

1 minute ago, unique said:

When you start with Hernandez, you have little intention of posing a serious threat to the opposition.

When you start with Gibson , you are inviting trouble.

Add to that when you start with Fassnacht you might as well play with 10 men.

4 games in 10 days and people are complaining it's not the same players again and again. Even if some are it's not a huge squad.

• Like 4

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Add to that when you start with Fassnacht you might as well play with 10 men.

I actually think that Fassnacht should be in that second striker slot playing through the middle instead of Barnes. 

Little known fact about Fassnacht is that he has played almost 50 games as a centre forward and has a 1 in 2 scoring record in those games.

He doesn't have the turn of pace needed to play out wide in this system.

• Like 2

Just now, KiwiScot said:

4 games in 10 days and people are complaining it's not the same players again and again. Even if some are it's not a huge squad.

The rotation excuse doesn't wash. Rowe 'rested' despite coming off at halftime, Barnes seems to start no matter what, McLean played 90 minutes and is shoved back into midfield the first chance we get etc etc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daly said:

Glad Duffy out

I've slagged Duffy off as much as anyone on here, and in general I wish we'd never signed him, but he had a really good game at West Brom. That sort of backs-to-the-wall game with lots of balls in from the wings suits him. I thought Millwall would suit him, too, if they're still playing their up-and-under style. 

Unlike Southampton. I don't think he should be anywhere near the pitch in that game against far more sophisticated opponents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I actually think that Fassnacht should be in that second striker slot playing through the middle instead of Barnes. 

Little known fact about Fassnacht is that he has played almost 50 games as a centre forward and has a 1 in 2 scoring record in those games.

He's gash though.

23 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Tough choice between him and Nunez

For a CM role it's not a tough choice at all.

The choice really was Gibson or Nunez. And to pick Gibson is unimaginably stupid.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Only played half of one of them didn't he?

2 minutes ago, daly said:

Glad Duffy out

As am I.  But Gibson and Batth together is still the slowest possible combination available without him.

Generally a bit of an odd overall selection.  Although I'll hopefully be proved wrong ...

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Well Wagner does seem to love playing players in positions they really should not be in for some reason

Well Wagner does seem to love playing players in positions they really should not be in for some reason

Like Gibson in the starting XI.

• Like 1

You mean like Long in goal? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Barnes isn't exactly Pele though is he.

No, he is also gash. If McLean is back in midfield then one of Sara or Nunez should be in that position. Wagner won't budge for his weird 'two false striker' formation though.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

The rotation excuse doesn't wash. Rowe 'rested' despite coming off at halftime, Barnes seems to start no matter what, McLean played 90 minutes and is shoved back into midfield the first chance we get etc etc 

Of course it washes. You just don't like the selection. Rest some players, keep others. 

4 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Exactly. I can't work out whether people don't understand sport science and the need to rest players during a busy period or just like to ignore the facts and have a good old moan. 

Some players will be knackered and on the edge of an injury, some won't and team selection reflects that. It's not rocket science!

• Like 1

He needed to shuffle the pack with games coming thick and fast so I'm not surprised its an interesting starting 11. Yes McLean is undroppable, no I don't get it either, but Sargent is back and for that we should all be over the moon. We've arguably just re-signed the best no.9 in the league for our second half of the season play-off push. Onwards and upwards. OTBC

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

As I said above. It never seems to apply to Sara either.

Edited by BroadstairsR

19 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

But if he's resting players, why is Barnes there? He has looked every minute of his 34 years recently. 

I guess he has looked fit during training? Plus, the next game he may be dropped? Who knows with Wagner.

Barnes has missed some great chances recently. Just hope he buries one this evening. An early goal would be excellent.