CanadianCanary

A New Fan from Canada

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I'm a pretty new football fan, so take it easy on me!

I have recently become a Norwich City fan after seeing their amazing Mental Health video they posted back in October (I'm sure most of you have seen this). As some background, we lost my uncle to suicide back in January of 2022 - needless to say it shattered our world and this video really hit home.

I'm from Canada, live just outside Toronto. A lot of my friends are into football and cheer for some EPL teams, I had just never gotten into it much. After this video, I figured I'd dive ALL IN.

I did some research and stumbled upon these fourms, and figured I'd make a post and seek some advice from the community of fans. I've had some thoughts as I've watched matches recently and was hoping some on here could help!

1. What are things I NEED to know as a Norwich supporter? Are there podcasts, YouTube channels, Twitter/IG accounts I should follow?
  2. I noticed on the Canaries website that their is a "Toronto Canaries" supporter group - anyone know anything about this?
  3. Rowe seems like he is a stud - always seems to come up with the big goal. But why does he come out of games early often?
  4. There seems to be a lot of distaste towards Barnes on these fourms. I quite like his aggressive style of play (I come from a hockey background - he seems like he'd be a bully hockey player!)
  5. On a similar note, I was a goalie when I played hockey, and I really like Gunn. He seems real composed and makes a ton of big stops at important moments.
  6. This group doesn't seem sold on Wagner as the leader - why is this? He definitely seems passionate.
  7. Any other advice as a new supporter?

Also to share, you can see the big merch box I was lucky enough to get for Christmas yesterday from my fiance - definitely got spoiled but now I'm all in. And spending this morning with footy & Team Canada World Junior Hockey - what better!

Thanks everyone!

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! All you really need to know is that you are now destined for a lifetime of disappointment. But sometimes it's fun at the same time. 

If you want to start at the beginning have a look at this video of the 1959 FA Cup run. 

You need to know that On The Ball City is the oldest football song still being sung anywhere in the world. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard old chap. 

The colours alone make our club special. 

Not to mention the World’s oldest football song. 

Being a Norwich fan is never dull, so strap in!

Edited by Kit
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Love it. Welcome. There'll be ups and downs ahead.

You've got more merch than Wagner, and that's saying something.

On the Ball, City

Thanks - the merch is a great start! Looking forward to rocking it.

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Welcome! All you really need to know is that you are now destined for a lifetime of disappointment. But sometimes it's fun at the same time. 

If you want to start at the beginning have a look at this video of the 1959 FA Cup run. 

You need to know that On The Ball City is the oldest football song still being sung anywhere in the world. 

Haha, thanks. I live in Toronto, the Maple Leafs give the city enough disappointment so I can handle it. I will definitely watch this vid, good for some learning. And heard that about On the Ball City, gotta get learning!

12 minutes ago, Kit said:

Welcome aboard old chap. 

The colours alone make our club special. 

Not to mention the World’s oldest foot song. 

Being a Norwich fan is never dull, so strap in!

I love the colours and the merch is amazing!

10 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Welcome along for the ride

Thanks for having me!

6 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Welcome to the family mate.

Strap in we are having a bit of a mare at the moment but that's the joy of being a Norwich fan.

Thanks for the welcome - been a decent run of games lately. In a battle today.

30 minutes ago, CanadianCanary said:

1. What are things I NEED to know as a Norwich supporter? Are there podcasts, YouTube channels, Twitter/IG accounts I should follow?
  2. I noticed on the Canaries website that their is a "Toronto Canaries" supporter group - anyone know anything about this?
  3. Rowe seems like he is a stud - always seems to come up with the big goal. But why does he come out of games early often?
  4. There seems to be a lot of distaste towards Barnes on these fourms. I quite like his aggressive style of play (I come from a hockey background - he seems like he'd be a bully hockey player!)
  5. On a similar note, I was a goalie when I played hockey, and I really like Gunn. He seems real composed and makes a ton of big stops at important moments.
  6. This group doesn't seem sold on Wagner as the leader - why is this? He definitely seems passionate.

1. Obs follow the club on sany social media x, face book, insta. Couple of ex players worth a follow Chris Sutton, Darren Huckerby on x.

2. not me, just ping them a msg wherever you found them and I'm sure someone will make contact 

3. Theory is he can't last 90 mins because of his fast passed style. Not sure how much I agree or that they can't address this in training but I think that would be your stock answer.

4. he doesn't score enough goals and he's a new member of the team "unproven" Google a chap called grant holt our Captain from 10 years ago he was our big bully striker (bit of a goon to use hockey terms) 

5.yeh he's come on leaps and bounds, Google his dad Bryan so you can see why there is so much love for him.

6. We lost farke (currently Leeds boss) due to a bad board decision. It's like still being in love with your ex to be blunt. Wagner is alright but I think we can all see he was a panic appointment. He's far better than Smith who he replaced though. Total idiot that guy

7. We hate Ipswich and the colour blue.  Also don't expect us to ever compete with man city we are Norwich and proud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

1. Obs follow the club on sany social media x, face book, insta. Couple of ex players worth a follow Chris Sutton, Darren Huckerby on x.

2. not me, just ping them a msg wherever you found them and I'm sure someone will make contact 

3. Theory is he can't last 90 mins because of his fast passed style. Not sure how much I agree or that they can't address this in training but I think that would be your stock answer.

4. he doesn't score enough goals and he's a new member of the team "unproven" Google a chap called grant holt our Captain from 10 years ago he was our big bully striker (bit of a goon to use hockey terms) 

5.yeh he's come on leaps and bounds, Google his dad Bryan so you can see why there is so much love for him.

6. We lost farke (currently Leeds boss) due to a bad board decision. It's like still being in love with your ex to be blunt. Wagner is alright but I think we can all see he was a panic appointment. He's far better than Smith who he replaced though. Total idiot that guy

7. We hate Ipswich and the colour blue.  Also don't expect us to ever compete with man city we are Norwich and proud.

This is all awesome info and greatly appreciated. I also got Grant Holt's book for Christmas so will be giving that a read at some point. Will do some research on the points you mentioned about.

Cheers mate!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CanadianCanary said:

This is all awesome info and greatly appreciated. I also got Grant Holt's book for Christmas so will be giving that a read at some point. Will do some research on the points you mentioned about.

Cheers mate!

Yeh that's a great read, holty was a great player I remember watching the whole teams heads go up when he came on as a sub once.irreplaceable really.

Think the best quote I heard on him was a Ipswich fan who said

"He's a big fat cheating ****"

I wish we had a big fat cheating ****"

Summed him up we loved him, opposition hated him he would buy a free kick then turn to the home fans and indicated that he dived 🤣

Hero plus the best crowd chant of all time

"We ****ing love grant holt" on repeat 🤣

Omg and as buh just said, Simeon Jackson, Google his 95th min winner Vs derby omfg

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, CanadianCanary said:

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I'm a pretty new football fan, so take it easy on me!

I have recently become a Norwich City fan after seeing their amazing Mental Health video they posted back in October (I'm sure most of you have seen this). As some background, we lost my uncle to suicide back in January of 2022 - needless to say it shattered our world and this video really hit home.

I'm from Canada, live just outside Toronto. A lot of my friends are into football and cheer for some EPL teams, I had just never gotten into it much. After this video, I figured I'd dive ALL IN.

I did some research and stumbled upon these fourms, and figured I'd make a post and seek some advice from the community of fans. I've had some thoughts as I've watched matches recently and was hoping some on here could help!

Also to share, you can see the big merch box I was lucky enough to get for Christmas yesterday from my fiance - definitely got spoiled but now I'm all in. And spending this morning with footy & Team Canada World Junior Hockey - what better!

Thanks everyone!

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

Welcome to the madhouse, my friend.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle; I'm immensely proud of the club's work around mental health, as a long-time sufferer and campaigner myself.

1. https://www.alongcomenorwich.com/podcast/ is always worth a listen. A lot of fans like Talk Norwich City (TNC), but it's not to my personal taste.

2. Taken from the club's website: Established in 2015. Looking to bring together Yellows based in The GTA. Find us on Twitter @TorontoCanaries. New members welcome - please reach out and connect on Twitter or email. Contact: Ben Isotta. Email: benisotta@gmail.com

3. This has been covered elsewhere, but it's to do with his high-impact, fast-paced style of play. If we could get him doing that for 90 minutes on a regular basis, it'd only hasten his departure to the Premier League, so enjoy him while you can.

4. Barnes, along with Batth, Duffy and Forshaw, were all brought in this summer to add a bit of experience, nous and physicality to the team. Barnes will never stop fighting, but he's a limited footballer and once we get Josh Sargent fit again you'll hopefully see for yourself how limited Barnes is in comparison.

5. Gunn is an excellent goalkeeper at this level. He actually played as an outfielder as a youngster, so his technical skills and distribution are pretty good too. My guess is that he'll either be our regular goalkeeper for the next 8-10 years, or he'll go back to the Premier League if we don't make it there ourselves.

6. Wagner is passionate, sure, but he was appointed by our previous sporting director with whom he had worked previously. He was seen as a 'safe bet' by most fans when he was appointed due to that prior relationship, rather than an exciting, forward-thinking coach. I fully expect our new sporting director to bring in a new head coach between now and the summer, one with a more discernible and consistent style of play.

7. Make a plan to come and visit our city ASAP... we'll make you feel very welcome!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

As a Canadian I have 2 words for you

Simeon

Jackson

Or slightly less iconic...Jim Brennan...

• Like 2

Should have gone 40 miles south compared to the crap we are producing 

I don't understand why anyone would want to join this circus voluntarily.

But welcome to the show, anyway!

Essential podcasts: The Scrimmage (BBC), On The Ball, Along Come Norwich, Talk Norwich City. Pinkun podcast.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Canadian canary, you have picked a real club to follow and not succumbed to the easy options of one of the top 6 in the PL (which would always disappoint you).

Life is rarely dull as a City fan, that's for sure.

• Like 1

For podcasts

Along come Norwich 

On the ball

The new old Norwich 

The pink un podcast 

The scrimmage

Talk Norwich city 

For more info 

Ipswich = binners = scum of the earth... Anything BLUE and WHITE are automatically banished from time and space. 

Rowe loses gas early so becomes a passenger, he's still young, it'll get better. 

Barnes is marmite, you either appreciate what he does or expect him to bang in goals for fun which he's never done, I think he brings a hell of a lot more. 

Check out the seasons of 1992 - 1994, 2002 - 2005, 2010 all the way to 2016 and the 2019 - 2021 years to see what fun you COULD be in for.... Or check out 2008/2009 for what lows you could also be in for 🤣

And finally welcome to the highly dysfunctional family 🤣🤣 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

Welcome to the pinkun. I'm sorry to read about your uncle. As for podcasts/websites etc i can't really add any that haven't been suggested already.

I've been to Toronto several times. Amazing city. You're lucky you live there.  I went to a Toronto FC game and a couple of ex city players were playing. Carl Robinson and Jim Brennan. I wore a norwich jacket with pride. Although a few of the other fans wanted me to take Robinson back with me! This was 2009 and we were actually there for a low point in city's recent history. The last derby defeat which a few of us watched crowded round my laptop at 7am!

TFC aren't my favourite team from the city. You can probably guess who that is from my name! Been lucky enough to see them once at the ACC and also at a couple of games they played in London.

39 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

He played for Toronto FC for four years so more likely that OP will know who he is.

There was also Carl Robinson who played for Toronto for a few years before playing for and managing the Vancouver whitecaps for a good few years

4 hours ago, CanadianCanary said:

Thanks everyone!

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

Welcome and Happy Holidays. Thank you for sharing your story it was heart felt and great to see how gestures like the video from the club can affect people’s lives all over the world.

in answer to your questions 1) all the clubs socials obviously, the most popular ones in terms of fan lead would be Talk Norwich City, the Pinkun has a YouTube channel also and Rob Butler and BBC Norfolk provide shows like the scrimmage each week. 2) can’t help on that. 3) This is his breakthrough season. As such I feel he’s being protected from playing too much too soon. Also we are blessed with multiple options in the wide forward positions. 4) Personally I love Barnes we need more personalities like his in the squad in my view. 5) Gunn is a top goalkeeper and the goalkeeper for his chosen nationality of Scotland who you can watch in the euros this summer. 6) Football is a results business and as a club who has been blessed with many years of success at this level there is a real pressure on the manager to get those results. Sadly his predecessor and him have largely struggled to find consistent periods of form at a level that our squad on paper should be easily inside the top 6. 7) Everyone finds their own way as a supporter of our great club. Our song is the oldest song in football which is always worth learning should you make it to attend a game. Some of my favourite memories of the club are with friends and family here and gone. If you have family members to watch and enjoy the journey with it will make it all the more special. 

once again thank you for sharing and becoming a member of this board. If you can put a word in to get a Tim Hortons in Norwich that would be most appreciated. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

If you can put a word in to get a Tim Hortons in Norwich that would be most appreciated. 

I had to go to Ipswich to get my fix recently. I felt unclean!

20 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I had to go to Ipswich to get my fix recently. I felt unclean!

I think it's so over rated! What do you order? 

Canadian welcome, I love everything about this post! 

Timbits. Yes they probably are overatted just being lumps of dough and sugar but I like them. When I first had them over there it wasn't something you could get in the UK. Perhaps other places do them now though. I'm not sure. 

I didn't just go to ipswich for them. Lego was also involved and that is definitely not overated.  Overpriced though.