Midlands Yellow

How Bad Was Webber

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

On the other side we're currently enjoying watching a talented winger in Sainz who Webber had identified and signed for us. We're suddenly excited about Hwang being back, a signing which was ridiculed (and let's be honest he did look poor to begin with). 

As with everything, it's not so black and white as some posters would love to make it.

Excited by Hwang! Who’s excited by Hwang?

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Not quite, we've gone from League One training facilities off the pitch to Top Half Prem standard. We've got a thriving youth academy with a clear pathway to the first team that we are benefiting from this season.

We make decisions without pandering to stupid fans with zero football knowledge. I've not heard Idahs 5 year contract brought up recently,  how odd??

I believe that was pre last three years and funded by the fans! Credit to Webber sticking to his vision for the first couple years, as I said but it all went **** up for him when he decided to go away from that vision and appoint Smith!

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Watching the game on at the moment and the rest of the season so far it's obvious that this is the worst Premier League season ever, our promoted team would've easily been top half in this years PL.

It looks that way because most teams are set up extremely pragmatically and risk averse but the individual quality of teams is so strong and the game is played so much faster at that level than it is at Championship level. We can admire the football of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton in the Championship but the fact is they're playing their good football at a much slower pace than PL teams are and the teams they come up against aren't anywhere near as quick as PL teams are so they aren't getting run out of possesion or hit at pace on the counter to the same degree they would at that level. Speed is the main difference and it's so much harder to play football even a little bit faster than you normally would and PL football is significantly faster than Championship football. 

The bottom 3 this year looks relatively poor but it's made up of a team that imploded before a ball was kicked, a team that performed well above expectation last year at a level blow and play very pragmatically to get their results and a team very similar to one of our recent much derided relegated teams. The rest are really strong, they just don't look flashy or all that good because of how they set up and the quality of teams they face

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Indy said:

I believe that was pre last three years and funded by the fans! Credit to Webber sticking to his vision for the first couple years, as I said but it all went **** up for him when he decided to go away from that vision and appoint Smith!

Part of it was funded by fans who got their money back and more because we were so successful on the pitch but we've continued to spend a lot on infrastructure since.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Part of it was funded by fans who got their money back and more because we were so successful on the pitch but we've continued to spend a lot on infrastructure since.

What’s that got to do with Webbers massive failures over the past three seasons? That’s why he’s not here anymore! The money wasn’t from his pocket! As I said his vision was sound his detour from it was terrible! I can’t understand why your going down this route?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

And Morris, more mobile version of Barnes! 

Morris wouldn’t work in our team

would prefer adebayo to him 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

The likes of Board Members such as Stephan Phillips did and claimed monies from shareholder funds at the same time as passing judgment on some younger shareholders who never invested themselves in the first place.

4 hours ago, Indy said:

What’s that got to do with Webbers massive failures over the past three seasons? That’s why he’s not here anymore! The money wasn’t from his pocket! As I said his vision was sound his detour from it was terrible! I can’t understand why your going down this route?

Webber good enough to be top 26 and over achieved at times. The foolishness was enabling him to gamble heavily on being top 17. The difference between Ben Nevis and Everest.

• Thanks 1

Think a few non fans had a return to. 

Hoggy merry Xmas from 🇧🇷.  Let your hero go in piece.  He's gone he was an ego and a śhìţ hèàď . Except that and move on. 

• Haha 1

On 23/12/2023 at 19:28, Midlands Yellow said:

Luton only need 9 more points to better our totals in the last two attempts at this level. Isn’t it great he’s gone? 

Made my 🎄 Christmas. Absolute chsncer and hey ho he's gone and not to be missed. OK a few are still in mourning🤣. Best event that happened this year👍2024 here we come. 

Edited by Mengo

On 23/12/2023 at 22:41, Capt. Pants said:

you have to consider just how bad were Farke and Smith.

Farke was awful at PL with us. Dean was awful with us full stop.

On 24/12/2023 at 07:38, Ken Hairy said:

Is it coincidence our form has taken a turn for the better since he's gone?

Perhaps also consider that Gibson has been absent with an injury. That may have helped.

I had begun to assume that Stuart Webber and his ego was the problem around the place, but the guard of honour confounded that idea.

He was popular and hard-working and much maligned by us ignoramuses, it seems.

He never went down well with me, however, and I'm glad he's finally on bike.

11 hours ago, Unthink road said:

Think a few non fans had a return to. 

No basic checks whether someone is a season ticket holder or whatever. That has more to do with the Board than Webber. Their problem with him was failing to rein in someone who is over head strong.

Still the Christmas cheer is the likes of Sara,Nunez,Sainz,Barnes,Rowe and Hwang may still be strong enough for a play off position.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, essex canary said:

No basic checks whether someone is a season ticket holder or whatever. That has more to do with the Board than Webber. Their problem with him was failing to rein in someone who is over head strong.

Still the Christmas cheer is the likes of Sara,Nunez,Sainz,Barnes,Rowe and Hwang may still be strong enough for a play off position.

Did any board members' children take advantage of the bond.......asking for a 'friend' 

34 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Did any board members' children take advantage of the bond.......asking for a 'friend' 

Possibly their nephews.

On 24/12/2023 at 07:38, Ken Hairy said:

Is it coincidence our form has taken a turn for the better since he's gone?

Correlation is not causation. This thread is full of suppositions, what ifs and comparisons of things that aren’t alike.

Having said that, I think a good test of how good Farke is will be how Leeds do next season if they go up (and keep him). 

On 24/12/2023 at 17:19, Indy said:

Excited by Hwang! Who’s excited by Hwang?

Alledgedly quite a few people if you go by the videos he made!

• Haha 1

On 24/12/2023 at 17:24, Indy said:

In my view it all went wrong signing kids for the EPL who weren’t ready.

On 24/12/2023 at 00:00, Well b back said:

Are we really saying our premiership squads were worse than Luton’s ? Maybe Luton are over achieving, but in that case didn’t we way under achieve ?

Our 2019 squad included 4 players sold for + £20 million, a top international goalkeeper at the time in Krull and a centre forward in Pukki far better than anything Luton have. We had a class act in Klosse ( unfortunately got injured ) and whatever you might think of Cantwell he was pretty good that year.

In defence of them I would argue Luton try to win games 1:0, we were torn apart trying to win games 5:4. Are there really many Luton players you would have added to our squad and got excited about signing.

Norwich will never do anything at EPL level until they learn to win games 1-0. It is all about stopping the opposition rather than imposing your own game.

People should give Webber credit for signing Pukki, Buendia, Sara, Sainz, Sargent. Good players at this level but nowhere near good enough for the EPL. I don't know what people possibly expected from Webber in the EPL given that he and Farke were hamstrung by the self funding model. The fact they had to sell Buendia to bridge the gap between promotion and the first EPL broadcasting instalment illustrated perfectly their top flight team building predicament.

But as indicated in my first paragraph, it is more than just about players. It is about how you are going to play. And this is where the club is let down by the fans. They are still rooted in the John Bond brand rather than the pragmatism of Saunders.

On 24/12/2023 at 13:51, Petriix said:

Yes, I'd argue that our Premier League squad was only really a top 8 Championship squad which Farke massively over achieved with, hence the humiliating relegation. Buendia was the only genuine Premier League player in there. 

Agree with the general point, but Pukki scored double figures in that terrible team. And in his two seasons for us he scored against every club in the Big Six. He was a PL player for sure.

But the closest we came to a having a PL team was the season in the middle, with Skipp, Emi and Teemu (and good Todd), when we carelessly weren't in the PL. That team would have had a shot. In an alternative universe where we didn't overachieve in 18-19, and got promoted a year later, we might still have had Godfrey and Lewis too. The role of fate in these things is a little underrated.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 3

I like to think of Pukki and Buendia as a pairing, and in that sense they definitely were PL quality.

I have always felt that the first promotion was where we should have taken more risk than we did. We had momentum and just a little more solidity in midfield and at the back could have possibly seen us survive. But I also understand why we didn't take the risk.

It's also worth stating that we were very unlucky with injuries at the back in that season.

The second season in the PL was a disaster we have never really recovered from.  

Edited by canarybubbles

5 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Agree with the general point, but Pukki scored double figures in that terrible team. And in his two seasons for us he scored against every club in the Big Six. He was a PL player for sure.

But the closest we came to a having a PL team was the season in the middle, with Skipp, Emi and Teemu (and good Todd), when we carelessly weren't in the PL. That team would have had a shot. In an alternative universe where we didn't overachieve in 18-19, and got promoted a year later, we might still have had Godfrey and Lewis too. The role of fate in these things is a little underrated.

And we managed to sell the best one, neuter the one that scored the most goals, fail to even try and replace the one we borrowed and pissed off the highly strung one so much he’d never really play for us again.

All in all it was a pretty impressive dismantling of the best chance at a PL team we had under Farke.

On 24/12/2023 at 14:59, Indy said:

It's called the Hoggy love in. ❤️ tunnel  vision.

On 25/12/2023 at 06:33, BroadstairsR said:

I had begun to assume that Stuart Webber and his ego was the problem around the place, but the guard of honour confounded that idea.

He was popular and hard-working and much maligned by us ignoramuses, it seems.

He never went down well with me, however, and I'm glad he's finally on bike.

Keep on peddling big stu the chancer🤣🤭