Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Ben Godfrey - Do we have a sell on clause

Saw a rumour on bbc Everton preparing to sell Godfrey to Spurs. Yes yes very dodgy etc.. but he doesn’t seem to be favoured by Dyche so a potential sale is not out of the question. 

It does make me wonder have we inserted a sell clause in the deal? It won’t be massive but say 10% of 15 million is decent money.

6 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Saw a rumour on bbc Everton preparing to sell Godfrey to Spurs. Yes yes very dodgy etc.. but he doesn’t seem to be favoured by Dyche so a potential sale is not out of the question. 

It does make me wonder have we inserted a sell clause in the deal? It won’t be massive but say 10% of 15 million is decent money.

If there was one we should owe Everton for the money they’ll lose on him. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Seems likely there would be various clauses, but unlikely that many have kicked in given he’s so out of favour.  

Not enough to even buy a round at the Lion and Castle. 

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interesting everyone ****ting on him but he's apparently wanted by Spurs.

I know I always thought he was quite good….career seemed to have been stalled by Dyche and the broken leg he suffered.

Its a bit of a reality check as well as ultimately Everton is a team us or whoever is promoted needs to complete against and last season there centre back options were Mina, Keane, Coady, Tarkowski, Godfrey, Branthwaite and Holgate. 

39 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Get him back here  as a defensive midfielder ! 😉

What makes you think we would pick him as a DM second-time around given that we never did when we actually had him here... 

(In any case, we don't do defensive midfielders, do we!?)

I'd have him back like a shot. I'll never forget the run he made running the full length of the pitch from a corner back to his own goal line to break up an attack. If ever there was a player with desire - he has it.  Ok, it all went a bit sour at Everton, but for the first year he was there, he was a fans' favourite. He was terrific alongside Zimmermann in our first promotion season too.

• Like 1

My wink emoji never came up … I was being partly tongue in cheek as this hoary old chestnut has done the rounds …

But for what it’s worth I believe football matches are won in the centre of the park, and I believe in having a defensive midfielder - hopefully one who can do other things too - but nonetheless somebody who can bring a bit of crunch …

I watched Ben Godfrey play DM for Shrewsbury against Charlton a few years ago and he looked every part the man for the job to me ….

Obviously he ain’t coming back here…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, king canary said:

Apparently being the operative word. Speculation about unfounded speculation

And it is not so much about supposed negotiating skills either. But what the other club are prepared to pay. In this case, Everton were paying for what they saw as potential, much as with Omo. Godfrey hasn't worked out, and I suspect Forest will have to wait until they return to the Championship to get a tune out of Omo. I would suggest Villa paid way over the odds for Buendia. They have managed to get where they are this season without him, as he is out injured.

The problem is none of those are bad players, they just have not lived up to what was expected of them. We have signed Gibbs and Fisher for relative peanuts, but the question is whether they will eventually be top of the table Championship players, or merely Ch/LI standard. Is there another in our squad who will be thought good enough for a top half PL club, and will want to move on. Rowe, perhaps ?

It will be interesting to see who/what type of player comes in, in January, as the thought seems suggests they will be movement..  And who will be shipped and at what cost ?

He was also ur best player the first time in the premiership. There was one of those spells where he was only centre back we had.  I would have him back in a heart beat, a good player and strong demonstrated leadership.  He wouldn’t want to return.

10 hours ago, Newtopia said:

He was also ur best player the first time in the premiership. There was one of those spells where he was only centre back we had.  I would have him back in a heart beat, a good player and strong demonstrated leadership.  He wouldn’t want to return.

Ironic really that the pelters he got thrown on here when you compare his quality with the dross Webber went on to sign who are now proven to be totally unsuitable to how we play.

• Like 1

York inserted a 10% sell on clause, which saved them during the pandemic as it fetched them nearly £2.5m. I don’t know if we also inserted one but sell on clauses are usually based solely on the profit made, and no way would Everton make a profit on him

The number of players we have moved on for decent money over the years who have failed to progress is really quite amazing. As for Godfrey, I suspect this is just Dyche playing the market again to generate some offers in January for a player he doesn't rate. He knows CB's - he was one, plus he sussed Gibson out in a couple of games.

I wouldn't have Godfey back if they paid us to take him. Getting £20m plus for him was genius PR at work. Like Omo, he isn't actually a very good defender.

Personally I don’t get this negativity towards Godfrey. He is way better than anyone we have at present and he is out of the Everton team for 2 reasons- he is not a Dyche type traditional centre half and he is still on the way back from a bad leg break last year

He’s had a marvellous career so far. I liked him in midfield as has been mentioned here he was used that way at Shrewsbury. 

On 11/12/2023 at 13:54, king canary said:

And Ancelotti really liked him and used him alot, what's he ever done in the game 🤣

16 hours ago, detroit94 said:

Personally I don’t get this negativity towards Godfrey. He is way better than anyone we have at present and he is out of the Everton team for 2 reasons- he is not a Dyche type traditional centre half and he is still on the way back from a bad leg break last year

This entirely.  He was signed by (and rated by) Ancelotti who valued some of the elements of Godfrey's game that Dyche, who goes for a traditional centre back, does not.  Duffy and Batth would be more likely to get a game at centre back than Godfrey in a Dyche team ...

I'd have him back like a shot.

• Like 2