Pugin

Are the Epic Studios door staff always like this?

I had a borderline bad experience last night. I had a £23 ticket for an 'Undr the Cosh' performance at Epic in Magdalen Road, with an advertised 7pm start and Iwan Roberts as a guest.

I got there at 6.35 and the entrance door were locked. By about 6.40 there were maybe 10 or 12 people outside, where it was cold and wet. At some stage the door was unlocked from inside so we shuffled in to wait by the Reception Desk. Within a few minutes a rude female appeared and told us abruptly to get outside, backed up by two doormen who told me it was for Health and Safety reasons as they did not know us.

So out we all went again, to wait in the wet. When the doors were opened as soon as I tried to go in my path was blocked by the younger doorman, who told me agressively that I was on private property. I said 'Don't be a ****' whereupon he then walked into me physically with his face in my face to back me up and out onto the pavement. 

I am well into my sixties, was dressed smartly, hadn't been drinking, and at no stage did I speak agressively or at all loudly. I was calm, they were agressive.

I could see I wouldn't be getting in, so asked for their names, which they refused, so asked if I could take a photo of them. Got a good photo of the younger one whereas the older one gave  me a silly grin and a big thumbs up like a naughty five-year-old.

Lots of issues arise, and I may contact the promoters, the operators, and the licensing authority. It should all be on video, hopefully with audio. I have thought about going to the Police. It seems crazy, but it may be the only way of preserving the video.

I wasn't blameless but what staggered me was the overall conduct of the three people involved. It was throughout rude, agressive, and without any semblance of professionalism. They need training, at the very, very least.

Serious thoughts please. I am hopping mad this morning and wonder about next steps. 

The rude word starts with a t, followed by a w. It is not that rude!

Edited by Pugin

23 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I had a borderline bad experience last night. I had a £23 ticket for an 'Undr the Cosh' performance at Epic in Magdalen Road, with an advertised 7pm start and Iwan Roberts as a guest.

I got there at 6.35 and the entrance door were locked. By about 6.40 there were maybe 10 or 12 people outside, where it was cold and wet. At some stage the door was unlocked from inside so we shuffled in to wait by the Reception Desk. Within a few minutes a rude female appeared and told us abruptly to get outside, backed up by two doormen who told me it was for Health and Safety reasons as they did not know us.

So out we all went again, to wait in the wet. When the doors were opened as soon as I tried to go in my path was blocked by the younger doorman, who told me agressively that I was on private property. I said 'Don't be a ****' whereupon he then walked into me physically with his face in my face to back me up and out onto the pavement. 

I am well into my sixties, was dressed smartly, hadn't been drinking, and at no stage did I speak agressively or at all loudly. I was calm, they were agressive.

I could see I wouldn't be getting in, so asked for their names, which they refused, so asked if I could take a photo of them. Got a good photo of the younger one whereas the older one gave  me a silly grin and a big thumbs up like a naughty five-year-old.

Lots of issues arise, and I may contact the promoters, the operators, and the licensing authority. It should all be on video, hopefully with audio. I have thought about going to the Police. It seems crazy, but it may be the only way of preserving the video.

I wasn't blameless but what staggered me was the overall conduct of the three people involved. It was throughout rude, agressive, and without any semblance of professionalism. They need training, at the very, very least.

Serious thoughts please. I am hopping mad this morning and wonder about next steps. 

That sounds like really **** poor treatment.

I'd definitely write and complain, may not get you anywhere, but it will make you feel better.

*P.iss

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pugin said:

If you want to preserve it then you should be able to request a copy of the video under data protection act. Provide the date time and location and request all video of you. They are allowed charge a nominal processing fee, but it must be justifiable and it is legally limited, I'm just not sure what the limit is these days...

That’s pretty disgraceful behaviour from them. I had a recent experience with Epic Studios not nearly as bad but poor customer service nonetheless. I emailed, using their own contact form, to ask a question regarding seating/standing arrangements for a recent comedy/poetry gig. I am autistic and needed to know in advance the setup. Which I explained to them. 
No reply. Nothing. Very disappointing service. Due to other family issues I didn’t go anyway in the end. But I still now view them in a negative light.

Hope you complain and at least get some sort of apology. 

Edited by ec-p
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ec-p said:

That’s pretty disgraceful behaviour from them. I had a recent experience with Epic Studios not nearly as bad but poor customer service nonetheless. I emailed, using their own contact form, to ask a question regarding seating/standing arrangements for a recent comedy/poetry gig. I am autistic and needed to know in advance the setup. Which I explained to them. 
No reply. Nothing. Very disappointing service. Due to other family issues I didn’t go anyway in the end. But I still now view them in a negative light.

Hope you complain and at least get some sort of apology. 

Again, that's terrible customer service.

• Like 1

Was it Regency? They do tend to employ a high proportion of ****** with very little between their ears.

I wasn't let into the Glasshouse after a Norwich game last season, no idea why and they wouldn't explain, so I had a heated discussion, called them a few things and was then told they'd make sure I couldn't get served anywhere else in Norwich. I wandered a few dozen feet to the Louis Marchesi and successfully ordered a pint. I made sure to take it outside and shout a hearty cheers down the road to the pair of twats.

Well it's about time that decent prople bit back.

Thanks for the encouragement. I might just go to town with this.

• Like 2

Just now, If wed kept Howie.. said:

you probably shouldn't have called him a "t***"

True. I shouldn't have. But the definition is 'a stupid and obnoxious person', so in the heat of the moment it was't a bad word selection. Would it have been OK to call him stupid and obnoxious?

Just now, Pugin said:

True. I shouldn't have. But the definition is 'a stupid and obnoxious person', so in the heat of the moment it was't a bad word selection. Would it have been OK to call him stupid and obnoxious?

some people will react more to certain words.. especially when their authority is being challenged (even if they have no real authority)..

Would it have been OK to call him stupid and obnoxious? I'd say no, but then i'm not you and wasn't in the situation you were in. Heat of the moment makes people do stuff they shouldn't do, which is why its a viable criminal defence in some situations.

I'd contact epic and explain to them. The door staff are usually part of a company they contract in, so they may well raise it with them too. That's where I would start.

I always give people a chance to put it right before going higher up the chain so to speak. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Let’s face it, doormen are huge failures and drug dealers. Everyone knows it.

Often Steroids, which ironically makes them bigger failures. You're  welcome. 

Been there once, the doorstaff were jumped up little Hitlers who couldn't organise a **** up, which is a shame as that's what is was 🤣

Its a dump anyway

PS like the whole street 

What a let down by Norwich CityLabour  Council

Edited by daly

12 minutes ago, daly said:

Its a dump anyway

PS like the whole street 

What a let down by Norwich CityLabour  Council

Not a single Tory on Norwich City Council - and that's just the way the people of Norwich like it, so bore off you rightwing idiot. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not a single Tory on Norwich City Council - and that's just the way the people of Norwich like it, so bore off you rightwing idiot. 

Yes your labour council are doing a great job

Closing Streets

Trebling Market stall rents 

Cities a mess traffic wise thanks to your lot

Remember the days when if you’d put an Alsatian  dog forward with a Labour Rosette forward he’d get in

ANYWAY  this is a football forum 

PS

Got to be  Right Wing if i make a statement that doesn’t go along with your thoughts 

12 hours ago, Pugin said:

Wouldn’t worry about it mate - you’d have forgotten about it by next week, it’s a bit raw at the minute 

if you’re that worried, look at your photos and contact the security company as opposed to the promoters or venue, you’ll more likely get a response that way 

15 minutes ago, daly said:

Closing Streets

Trebling Market stall rents 

Remember the days when if you’d put an Alsatian  dog forward with a Labour Rosette forward he’d get in

ANYWAY  this is a football forum 

Says the poster who gratuitously shoe horned a pathetic dig at the Labour Council into a thread about something else entirely.  You don't do self awareness do you? 

• Like 1

Too many roids and not enough brains = the problem with many doormen.

Put it down to a bad experience and dont go there again, Ive heard Epic studios can be a bit ropey.

1 hour ago, daly said:

Closing Streets

Norfolk County Council are responsible for our roads.

Which is controlled by the Conservatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1