Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Everton immediately deducted 10 points

I‘m sure there’ll be lots of complaining about it ‘hitting the fans’ but the point is simple - their club has benefitted from ‘illegal’ financial activity which has probably helped keep them up.  

7 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Is it just a coincidence that Lampard has now managed 2 clubs that have subsequently been given point deductions?

Pure coincidence. In the same way most of the clubs his uncle Harry managed then had money troubles.

20 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Pure coincidence. In the same way most of the clubs his uncle Harry managed then had money troubles.

Harry was dubious to say the least but clubs allowed him to get involved in negotiations with agents and paid the price. 

The financial problems of Everton and Derby had already happened when Frank arrived. 

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Harry was dubious to say the least but clubs allowed him to get involved in negotiations with agents and paid the price. 

The financial problems of Everton and Derby had already happened when Frank arrived. 

From what I've seen and heard he was the cause of the financial problems at Derby. He brought in some big names on a promotion push and the gamble didn't pay off.

A lot of clubs in the championship have financial woes but it only takes one cowboy to push that over the line to point deductions or total ruin.

Edited by Chelm Canary

43 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Still think they'll stay up, as there are at least three worse teams.

Hope so. We want the EPL as strong as possible to make sure the Binners get relegated next season, assuming they go up of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Ok so what about Moneycheat citeh, newsaudi utd and chelski?

Always the prem picks on the little easy targets.

Proportionately, should be about 50 points deduction or instant relegation.

Chances of that actually happening? No hope and Bob Hope 

• Like 1

Clearly didn't find enough big bags of cash behind the sofa to hand out

Doesn't matter though as Sheffield, Luton and Burnley as so poor that once again this will be a season Everton look doomed only to survive there's no doubt

Feels like a massive slap in the face to Everton fans. Not because they don't deserve it, but because the Man City's and Chelseas of the worlds have gotten away with far worse.

• Like 2

So basically they've scraped up the last couple of seasons by breaking the rules. This has allowed them to get millions of pounds of broadcasting money to some other poor sod's detriment and their "punnishment" is a 10 point deduction during a season when they look like being safe?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They lost £105m but they are not allowed to include expenditure on the new Ground, Women's team development, community schemes or academy !!

"Everton have been in the process of moving to a new stadium and therefore would argue that all stadium costs should have been excluded from the calculations".

We've lost varying amounts between £76m and £96m over 2 years- where's that leave us??

44 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

They lost £105m but they are not allowed to include expenditure on the new Ground, Women's team development, community schemes or academy !!

"Everton have been in the process of moving to a new stadium and therefore would argue that all stadium costs should have been excluded from the calculations".

We've lost varying amounts between £76m and £96m over 2 years- where's that leave us??

With Wagner and an ageing squad of free transfers.

• Like 1

Best news I've heard for a while. Everton as a club maybe ok but their fans are something else. 

The connivance with Coventry to relegate us in 84/85 is still raw!

• Like 6

I couldn't care less what the big clubs do as essentially they cheat the other big clubs.

If I were a fan of Leicester (22/23) and Burnley (21/22) you might be feeling a bit peeved. It didn't impact us as we were well out of it but those recently relegated and closer to Everton in the table might feel hard done by.

2 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Apparently Chelsea have held their hands up so I'd expect a punishment but maybe not as harsh as Everton as apparently the reason theirs is steep is because they lied about it.

City will drag on for years.

2 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

From what I've seen and heard he was the cause of the financial problems at Derby. He brought in some big names on a promotion push and the gamble didn't pay off.

A lot of clubs in the championship have financial woes but it only takes one cowboy to push that over the line to point deductions or total ruin.

The person writing the cheques is the one responsible. Would you blame Farke for our financial woes? The owner decided to employ Frank and threw money at it. It didn't work. 

The allegations against his Uncle Harry are a little more serious and are probably why he didn't get the England job and Spurs sacked him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Feels like a massive slap in the face to Everton fans. Not because they don't deserve it, but because the Man City's and Chelseas of the worlds have gotten away with far worse.

Manchester City haven't got away with it. The enquiry is ongoing. 

They were found guilty by UEFA but that was overturned by a world sport governing body purely because the information used against them was obtained illegally. Unfortunately for them, that argument apparently won't work with the Premier League. It will be interesting because there is one charge which if found to be true will see them relegated. 

I've no idea about Chelsea's finances. It may be simply that the money loaned by the owner was converted into share capital. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The person writing the cheques is the one responsible. Would you blame Farke for our financial woes? The owner decided to employ Frank and threw money at it. It didn't work. 

The allegations against his Uncle Harry are a little more serious and are probably why he didn't get the England job and Spurs sacked him. 

No of course I wouldn't blame Farke because we didn't spend anything while he was here.

It can't be ignored that this is the 2nd club Frank Lampard has managed in quick succession that has faced serious penalties for overspending

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Manchester City haven't got away with it. The enquiry is ongoing. 

They were found guilty by UEFA but that was overturned by a world sport governing body purely because the information used against them was obtained illegally. Unfortunately for them, that argument apparently won't work with the Premier League. It will be interesting because there is one charge which if found to be true will see them relegated. 

I've no idea about Chelsea's finances. It may be simply that the money loaned by the owner was converted into share capital. 

That would be a tough championship season to get promoted if both Man City and Chelsea were in it!

2 minutes ago, Satriales said:

That would be a tough championship season to get promoted if both Man City and Chelsea were in 

Ipswich would surely still be favourites tho!

• Haha 2

When I think financial fair play breaches and the premier league. It’s weird that Everton is not the first name that comes to mind.

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

"Manchester City have been charged with more than 100 alleged breaches of the rules by the Premier League but are yet to have a verdict amid legal wrangling on both sides. City have denied wrongdoing. Chelsea are under investigation for alleged breaches relating to the era of Roman Abramovich’s ownership."

This is far too lenient when you consider our ban from Europe for 5 years - a totally innocent club. The question here is whether this was perhaps some form of accountacy error, or a deliberate flouting of the rules.

My thought is that with the above two (quoted) it was deliberate. Therefore as in other sports, any trophies won, bonuses gained should be forfeited.

cheat

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Swiss Ramble and others have suggested that Chelsea will escape any charges against them re. FFP  because their investment in their academy (where they have had as many as 40 players out on loan at some points before eventually selling them) has generated enough profits to cover the FFP losses rule. The enforced sale of the club from Abramovic under the auspices of the war in Ukraine  has also put paid to any deeper dive on any historic financial crimes. There is mooted a political deal was done with the new owners whereby legal warranties, underwritten by HMG, were taken out protecting the incoming owners from any liability there, including any subsequent proceedings from the EPL. The latter could take HMG on but I don't think they would want to go there, it would jeopardise their whole business model.  

Edited by shefcanary
  • Thanks 1