Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Everton immediately deducted 10 points

I suspect many people who opposed the European Super League have, like me, started to change their minds. If we ordinary fans of ordinary clubs want our football back, it's best to let the so-called big clubs break away.

The football on display in the new English league might no longer have the best footballers in the world, but at least there would be fair and open competition again and every club could dream of reaching the top.

One thing must be absolutely clear, though - any clubs that walk away from the English league cannot also play in the English league and they can NEVER come back. If the ESL goes ti*s-up, tough sh*t. You choose profit over sporting integrity - you pay the price.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't quite understand the purpose of FFP. Is it to punish a club and then hopefully deter others? Is it to bring down the cost of football?

Yes, a punishment, also a form of levelling "down" that in theory should stop the financial "arms" race that has been developed. However the FFP legislation, as is usually the case when it comes to drafting rules and regulations on finances, has been drafted so loosely that the big accounting firms are still able to drive a coach and horses through it, hence why Man City continue to stick two fingers up to the authorities.

The intentions were "pure", but the regulations were both poorly drafted and also watered down by vested interests; who owns the EPL for instance? Why the shareholders are the clubs themselves!

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't quite understand the purpose of FFP. Is it to punish a club and then hopefully deter others? Is it to bring down the cost of football?

Obviously brought in stop football becoming a farce with minimal competion. Allowing it to be based on wealth from outside sources A farce as it is in the Scottish PL.

However if the regulators have no bite, or are reluctant to use those powers then it becomes meaningless - pretty much how the PL has now become.

Just wondering how this works as the £124.5m loss being held against Everton is up to 21/22 season. Highly likely they made a loss in 22/23 as well so does the 3 year rule start again from 22/23 whereby they can record losses again up to 24/25 without more punishment being imposed? It seems a bit daft if they can, but if not they can look forward to a fine or another points deduction next year as well unless of course they find a very large chunk of extra revenue or sell a lot of players.

23 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I suspect many people who opposed the European Super League have, like me, started to change their minds. If we ordinary fans of ordinary clubs want our football back, it's best to let the so-called big clubs break away.

The football on display in the new English league might no longer have the best footballers in the world, but at least there would be fair and open competition again and every club could dream of reaching the top.

One thing must be absolutely clear, though - any clubs that walk away from the English league cannot also play in the English league and they can NEVER come back. If the ESL goes ti*s-up, tough sh*t. You choose profit over sporting integrity - you pay the price.

A voice of sanity. Contrary to popular myth the top six needs us far, far mnore than we need them.

It would become a closed shop with no club wanting 'relegation' and so become a stagnant merry go round of ultimately pointless games. However it would require ten or so clubs to resign from the PL and rejoin the Football League, which would have to be rejigged.

The loss of the worlds top players will eventually hit the PL, as the sums offered by the Saudis will mean one good season and you are made for life. But I fear this will not come from the fans as the game drifts further and further away from those attending to watch football, and panders ever more to those there for the spectacle, experience or whatever else the thought is

"making Carrow Road an enjoyable place to consume football will be achieving buy-in on his project" - Joe 90 Pinkun

Edited by RobJames

2 hours ago, In my blood said:

Best news I've heard for a while. Everton as a club maybe ok but their fans are something else. 

The connivance with Coventry to relegate us in 84/85 is still raw!

I'm not sure how you distinguish between the club and it's fans...

43 minutes ago, RobJames said:

A voice of sanity. Contrary to popular myth the top six needs us far, far mnore than we need them.

It would become a closed shop with no club wanting 'relegation' and so become a stagnant merry go round of ultimately pointless games. However it would require ten or so clubs to resign from the PL and rejoin the Football League, which would have to be rejigged.

The loss of the worlds top players will eventually hit the PL, as the sums offered by the Saudis will mean one good season and you are made for life. But I fear this will not come from the fans as the game drifts further and further away from those attending to watch football, and panders ever more to those there for the spectacle, experience or whatever else the thought is

"making Carrow Road an enjoyable place to consume football will be achieving buy-in on his project" - Joe 90 Pinkun

This is how world sports is run. Franchise football is coming. Which is fine, it will allow the reset of football as many have asked for. Many ask for the current boards heads, fair enough in the current world of football. But I think change is coming. Funnily enough our current model will see us as forerunners. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its to make sure clubs like Norwich can never break into the elite of English football 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I have thought this for a long time. The big clubs aren't really relevant to the towns and cities they originate. They're not really relevant to England. The majority of their fans have nothing to do with those towns, cities or England either. The EPL is now a global product, a sport for TV, where the 'legacy supporters' in the stadium are of little importance and could easily be replaced with day trippers.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 2

They'll still stay up given how sh!t the other sides at the bottom are

...hope they dont though. One of their protests was that they were financially hit during the pandemic.

Well so were most clubs, we had to sell Godfrey to EVERTON for £25m just to balance our books during that time, whilst still adhering to FFP rules and didnt see a penny of that re invested in the team

...yet here they were spending money they seemingly didnt have

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

In terms of the Super League:

Contrary to popular belief It's not just owners who are elitist and look down their noses at the "have nots."

There's a fallacy that 100% fans of 100% English football clubs are salt of the earth, homespun people who champion working class heroes.

It's a myth.

You just have to remember the Chelsea fans who were all wearing ushankas at Stamford Bridge when Abramovich bought the club.

In recent times Newcastle fans wearing tea-towels on their heads when they were purchased by the Saudi's.

Hell, even here a person said, without an ounce of irony, i might add:

"The Euros should be reduced back down from 24 to 16. Serves nobody any purpose having cannon fodder like Albania and Scotland there."

Absolute snobbery. People like that must've choked on their Prawn sandwiches when Greece won the Euros or when Leicester won the EPL.

I remember people saying that the likes of Norwich should be banned from the EPL as they are always cannon fodder. So it's rich reading about an Norwich City being so elist as well as being void of self awareness.

Do you think a 24 team Euros (Roughly half of the teams in Europe) adds to the quality of the competition?....thats the equilvilent of opening the premier league up to half of the 92 clubs in the foitball league. How do you think that would effect its overall quality?

....and I'll ask again.  Why are you here?

2 hours ago, RobJames said:

"Manchester City have been charged with more than 100 alleged breaches of the rules by the Premier League but are yet to have a verdict amid legal wrangling on both sides. City have denied wrongdoing. Chelsea are under investigation for alleged breaches relating to the era of Roman Abramovich’s ownership."

This is far too lenient when you consider our ban from Europe for 5 years - a totally innocent club. The question here is whether this was perhaps some form of accountacy error, or a deliberate flouting of the rules.

My thought is that with the above two (quoted) it was deliberate. Therefore as in other sports, any trophies won, bonuses gained should be forfeited.

cheat

They should be stripped like the financial lance Armstrong's they are 

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Just wondering how this works as the £124.5m loss being held against Everton is up to 21/22 season. Highly likely they made a loss in 22/23 as well so does the 3 year rule start again from 22/23 whereby they can record losses again up to 24/25 without more punishment being imposed? It seems a bit daft if they can, but if not they can look forward to a fine or another points deduction next year as well unless of course they find a very large chunk of extra revenue or sell a lot of players.

It is a rolling three year calculation (no I'm not going to repeat yet again what that means in terms of Wagner's contract), so unless Everton had reduced their losses in 22/23 by c.£20m on those incurred in 2019/20, yes they are looking at another penalty next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unthink road said:

This is how world sports is run. Franchise football is coming. Which is fine, it will allow the reset of football as many have asked for. Many ask for the current boards heads, fair enough in the current world of football. But I think change is coming. Funnily enough our current model will see us as forerunners. 

Our current model has us £96 million in debt?

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

It's also the same with Manchester City. I don't remember Maine Road being filled to the gills when City were in Division 2.

Who knows which English club will be bought next.

The aforementioned Prawn sandwich muncher will be praying to his Donald Trump shrine that it's Norwich City.

Well they had an average attendance of over 28,000 so despidte Utd having always been the bigger side in Manchester (plus of course the prawn sandwich munchers from out- of the city), their support has always been solid

Why though is the Club who apparently has the highest wage bill in history for a relegated club excluded from the list of clubs who are entitled to compensation?

You think they'd take it on the chin as even with the deduction, one win could see them straight out of the bottom 3 immediately.

If they appealed and the deduction got held until next season it could be a far worst outcome, considering the quality of the bottom 3 prem teams this season.

What really winds me up is how Citeh have all these charges and yet they won't get hit with one or two of them at a time... Instead it's all being dealt with as a whole and will go on for years and years, wrapped in knots without any consequence as the charges are too big and complicated as a whole.

FA should hit them on the single charges one by one and let it amass over time, you can guarantee that's why Everton have been deducted and these other **** haven't.  Because it's a much more concise rule break, I expect.

Just goes to show, if you're going to rule break in football, you may as well do it wholesale if you have decent financial backing.  Hate to think what kind of back-handers go on.

Edited by Google Bot

5 hours ago, essex canary said:

Why though is the Club who apparently has the highest wage bill in history for a relegated club excluded from the list of clubs who are entitled to compensation?

On the basis that we were so far behind that we would have gone down regardless

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/17/everton-deducted-10-points-premier-league-financial-rules/

10 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Our current model has us £96 million in debt?

True. But the cost of running a club outside of the new leagues would drop. It would also require the FA to adapt as well. Clubs run more on good recruitment, attendance, would thrive. Money just thrown into football, often loaned so the owners get great returns should be ruled out. 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

On the basis that we were so far behind that we would have gone down regardless

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/17/everton-deducted-10-points-premier-league-financial-rules/

Correct. Having spent £25 million more on Wages than Burnley who are in line. That £25 million being the same sum we received from Everton for Godfrey. Good management?

52 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

True. But the cost of running a club outside of the new leagues would drop. It would also require the FA to adapt as well. Clubs run more on good recruitment, attendance, would thrive. Money just thrown into football, often loaned so the owners get great returns should be ruled out. 

Our ‘model’ isn’t anything spectacular, certainly nothing that would put us ahead of the competition. 

If football was levelled out (which will never happen) and money became less of a factor, then prestige of a club, fan base and location will become more desirable to players.. all of which would leave Norwich again struggling to compete above its current level.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Our ‘model’ isn’t anything spectacular, certainly nothing that would put us ahead of the competition. 

If football was levelled out (which will never happen) and money became less of a factor, then prestige of a club, fan base and location will become more desirable to players.. all of which would leave Norwich again struggling to compete above its current level.

Our most successful periods in football coincide with football being  more level. Our prestige etc was no different then as to now. We could compete. 

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Correct. Having spent £25 million more on Wages than Burnley who are in line. That £25 million being the same sum we received from Everton for Godfrey. Good management?

I think you posted this on the wrong thread..... 

15 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

Our most successful periods in football coincide with football being  more level. Our prestige etc was no different then as to now. We could compete. 

Yes.

Everton's problems could get even worse; according to reports Leicester, Burnley and Leeds are to sue them for a total of £300m.

One can't imagine their prospective new owners can be too keen on a takeover now!

52 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Everton's problems could get even worse; according to reports Leicester, Burnley and Leeds are to sue them for a total of £300m.

One can't imagine their prospective new owners can be too keen on a takeover now!

Any loan opportunities for Attanasio?

31 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Any loan opportunities for Attanasio?

Given that any owner can only be involved with one club, the answer is, undoubtedly, “no”.