Sign in to follow this  
For the future

Danny Batth

I think Gibson will always get the nod as he's what Wagner considers a ball playing CB.  But with Duffy's recent mistakes, I can see Batth coming in.

I think it's more about Wagner's belief that you stick with a fixed CB pairing unless injuries occur.  But really, it's getting a bit silly now considering the previous season Batth had, to go from player of the season to being benched in a team struggling to stop the leaks.

I don't know much about the lad though, can he play it out from the back, is he as imposing as Duffy?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Satriales said:

It does seem a bit odd. Perhaps he wasn't Wagners choice, who knows.

Clearly McLean is ahead in the centreback rankings..

Makes you wonder why we signed Batth at all

• Like 1

Strange headline currently on The Pink Un 

“Batth running out of time to save his City career”.

unlessI missed something, it’s never actually started ? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He was cleanly signed as the third choice centre back given Big Andy left and Hanley and Sorensen have long time injuries. It was clear we needed meat in the room. Barth was what we got. Luckily or Unluckily I have no idea any more Gibson and Duffy have been injury free. If either one is injured he’ll be straight in. I suspect we’ll see him for Duffy on Saturday as Duffy head seems well and truly scrambled.

Just now, Ashwood said:

unless I missed something, it’s never actually started ? 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Quite. I can only assume the club did not have the same view on the capability of Warner as fans do now, at the time that decision was made. 

Some people also felt we needed a 4th striker so the wages tied up on Batth could have been used there.

It's not as though Sunderland's goals against last season were that spectacular. In fact ours were one better even with the injuries to Hanley and Gibson.

With Hanley to return (hopefully) after the international break it's not looking particularly good for Batth. There's a good argument for not bothering to bring him in at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashwood said:

unlessI missed something, it’s never actually started ? 

Maybe our DOF has decided to pull the plug on his contract.............

Maybe he is just rubbish in training and looks worse than Gibson and Duffy? 
hard to believe given how bad that pair have been but surely it’s only reason 

29 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Maybe he is just rubbish in training and looks worse than Gibson and Duffy? 

He may be on the same high grade military match fitness grading that Sainz has been subjected to, and just hasn't received his category A certification to start a game?

It seems that Gibson will never be dropped. Only the manager knows why, to the rest of us …..

Perhaps we have no one else capable of passing so well from the half way line……

to his own keeper!

Its unbelievable we havent even tried Batth, considering how many goals we've leaked with Gibson and Duffy over a long run of games now.

And so.many mistakes by that pairing. You simply cant keep faith and hope theyll improve. They havent

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

It seems that Gibson will never be dropped. Only the manager knows why, to the rest of us …..

Perhaps we have no one else capable of passing so well from the half way line……

to his own keeper!

Perhaps if Gibson had Batth instead of the donkey next to him he would be more comfortable on the ball

Probably won’t drop Duffy as another of the scouting failures 

9 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Maybe our DOF has decided to pull the plug on his contract.............

With hindsight, does seem to have been an unnecessary drain on our limited finances, although we do have history with being left short on CBs. Looks like our DOF has again blown hot & cold in the transfer market, particularly as we are now supposed to be tapping into newer markets. Maybe something is in the pipeline for January?

5 hours ago, paddycanary said:

With hindsight, does seem to have been an unnecessary drain on our limited finances, although we do have history with being left short on CBs. Looks like our DOF has again blown hot & cold in the transfer market, particularly as we are now supposed to be tapping into newer markets. Maybe something is in the pipeline for January?

Can you tell me when he last blew hot as all I’ve seen is chilly to sun zero in the last 3 seasons?

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Clearly McLean is ahead in the centreback rankings..

Going to say it again, when Wagner made that change we didn't have enough subs left to bring Batth on as a straight swap for Gibson as well. The idea that McLean is 'ahead' of him in the CB rankings is just nonsense.

• Like 1

It must be said, it might be that Batth isn’t performing in training, his attitude might be holding him back who knows but I doubt he’ll be any improvement on the back two we are currently playing! Tat said certainly can’t be any worse!

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Going to say it again, when Wagner made that change we didn't have enough subs left to bring Batth on as a straight swap for Gibson as well. The idea that McLean is 'ahead' of him in the CB rankings is just nonsense.

Don't waste your time, I used to defend the kid but @cambridgeshire canary ignores any post showing demonstrative evidence that he's wrong on something, then typically starts a new thread claiming his original point all over again. Not worth it.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Don't waste your time, I used to defend the kid but @cambridgeshire canary ignores any post showing demonstrative evidence that he's wrong on something, then typically starts a new thread claiming his original point all over again. Not worth it.

I was wrong yes.

But should Batth have been subbed on prior to the "tactical change" that forced McLean to be shifted on at centreback due to no more subs being allowed? Yes.

And please provide evidence of a time I have been wrong only to then instantly make a thread all about how right I am. Beacause, I don't recall doing that? I'm not smug. I'm just an idiot. Also refering to me as a kid as a phrase to look down upon me and imply I'm a stupid child is really quite rude. Not yet friendly friendly but come on, be better

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I was wrong yes.

But should Batth have been subbed on prior to the "tactical change" that forced McLean to be shifted on at centreback due to no more subs being allowed? Yes.

And please provide evidence of a time I have been wrong only to then instantly make a thread all about how right I am. Beacause, I don't recall doing that? I'm not smug. I'm just an idiot. Also refering to me as a kid as a phrase to look down upon me and imply I'm a stupid child is really quite rude. Not yet friendly friendly but come on, be better

We refer to you as Kid because thats how you come across. 

just as we refer to the Idiot that is Ethics as an Idiot. 

Ethics hasnt proved us wrong, can you?

please do.

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nothing personal against @cambridgeshire canary, who I'd describe as, like the Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 'mostly harmless'. 

Just don't like these myths that develop a life of their own, like when people say Idah has scored x goals in y appearances, ignoring the fact that virtually all those appearances were brief run-outs as a sub. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Nothing personal against @cambridgeshire canary, who I'd describe as, like the Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 'mostly harmless'. 

Just don't like these myths that develop a life of their own, like when people say Idah has scored x goals in y appearances, ignoring the fact that virtually all those appearances were brief run-outs as a sub. 

Yeah but you're a good guy and pleasant to pretty much everyone on here.

I struggle with that sometimes. 🙂 

• Like 1

The most worrying point about Batth, for me, is the sudden increase in content RE: Hanley return.

With a very leaky defence and Hanley being very obviously pushed forward as a major positive, I'm quite concerned that Batth isn't seen as an option at all.

Perhaps he isn't at the level we thought he was.