Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Shane Duffy has his say

He’s as much to blame as the rest! Too old too slow! Should have kept Omobamdele.

Its hardly an inspirational statement from.someone whos just scored an own goal.

Thats 2 in 2 games now and thats the sort of cr*p we're all fed up with.

We're in desperate need to break up the Duffy n Gibson partnership and try something different, but it worries me Wagner cant see that

I like Duffy but the Gibson/duffy pairing is a liability. Duffy/Batth plus a youngster with pace is the way to go for me. 

Farm out Gibson in January, promote Warner into the first team reckoning and then find the best combination.

From the little I saw of him at Fulham, under the guidance of an experienced head, Warner really could be our next Max Aaron’s full debut from nowhere moment. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Warner did look capable enough at Fulham - we are definitely leaking goals too frequently so something needs to change. 

Agree, might just need that mix of experience and youth at the back like Sarge & Barnes, Hanley/Gibson have bee here long enough to see the shortcomings!

Tbh it started well without the need for cdm - Sara and a Kenny worked well in rotation. I wonder, perhaps Barnes/Sargent being injured has enforced changes and hit us in areas we didn’t foresee. 

The way we play just give too many opportunities to the opposition, it’s suicidal.

I actually personally think Duffy and Gibson are doing a decent job given the absolute lack of protection given to them by the rest of the team.

NEVER MIND -WAGNER PROUD ON HOW CITY PLAYED- its only going to get better -top 6 by christmas 😚

18 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The way we play just give too many opportunities to the opposition, it’s suicidal.

I actually personally think Duffy and Gibson are doing a decent job given the absolute lack of protection given to them by the rest of the team.

I think you're right. We seem to average giving teams 20 shots a game. Even if that's outside the area and half chances, it gives hope and momentum to the opposition.

Duffy has made a few too many mistakes directly leading to goals for me, but he's been good in some games. I dont think Gibson has done much wrong this season, but he's one that's going to get blame regardless because fans refuse to base opinions on what they actually see now rather than what they've seen before.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Its hardly an inspirational statement from.someone whos just scored an own goal.

Thats 2 in 2 games now and thats the sort of cr*p we're all fed up with.

We're in desperate need to break up the Duffy n Gibson partnership and try something different, but it worries me Wagner cant see that

Looking back at the og for me the blame lies totally with Long. Keepers should not be beaten at the near post like that. On the Duffy/ Gibson partnership clearly Wagner doesn't rate Batth? Come to that where's Warner? A decent game at Fulham not seen since

• Like 2

Problem is, Duffy seems to offer more and I'd say is definitely the better of our two central defenders but seems to always make at least one glaring mistake per game. 90% good defender, 10% catastrophe. He's got to cut those out and maybe needs some specific coaching on keeping his focus on the game and positioning himself better. Gibson makes fewer obviously horrendous mistakes but is just generally cr@p throughout and offers very little. In terms of overspending on a poor player, he's got to be one of the worst signings of the Webber era - Yes the likes of Tzolis didn't work out but he had a lot of potential; Rashica had a decent reputation and looked like a good buy before he decided he didn't care; Gibson we basically knew exactly what we were getting - someone who was barely good enough to sit on Burnley's bench, and that's exactly what we paid £8m for! 

8 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Looking back at the og for me the blame lies totally with Long. Keepers should not be beaten at the near post like that. On the Duffy/ Gibson partnership clearly Wagner doesn't rate Batth? Come to that where's Warner? A decent game at Fulham not seen since

It's interesting that no one has commented on Long. I agree with you - that first goal (which was so important in giving the Leeds players hope) was largely down to him IMO.

I thought we had signed an up-and-coming young Chilean goalie? And we've hardly been short of plenty of our own promising youngsters between the sticks. So why has this guy who the Millwall fans warned us about ended up our number two? Because he's old, and nowadays we seem to think old equals good? Judging by that goal yesterday, McGovern was better, and he was our number three. 

• Like 2

I genuinely can't believe after his performance at Fulham that we haven't even seen Warner on the bench since. It's just awful management 

21 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's interesting that no one has commented on Long. I agree with you - that first goal (which was so important in giving the Leeds players hope) was largely down to him IMO.

I thought we had signed an up-and-coming young Chilean goalie? And we've hardly been short of plenty of our own promising youngsters between the sticks. So why has this guy who the Millwall fans warned us about ended up our number two? Because he's old, and nowadays we seem to think old equals good? Judging by that goal yesterday, McGovern was better, and he was our number three. 

The fact that Millwall fans were celebrating him being sold says it all. If I didnt know better I would say Webber bought him knowing he was bad as a way get revenge before he leaves us..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

18 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think you're right. We seem to average giving teams 20 shots a game. Even if that's outside the area and half chances, it gives hope and momentum to the opposition.

Duffy has made a few too many mistakes directly leading to goals for me, but he's been good in some games. I dont think Gibson has done much wrong this season, but he's one that's going to get blame regardless because fans refuse to base opinions on what they actually see now rather than what they've seen before.

Warner played well At fulham i know one game but against better strikers he will face most weeks in champs ,

he also has Energy and pace ,slot him alongside Gibson ,

the only problem is that big hole in front of them which every team knows now a CDM who sticks to his task would make a whole world of difference 

On 22/10/2023 at 19:11, cambridgeshire canary said:

If I didnt know better I would say Webber bought him knowing he was bad as a way get revenge before he leaves us..

Probably your most stupid post ever. Which, is quite an achievement.

On 23/10/2023 at 00:19, hogesar said:

So if you were to base your opinion on what you are seeing now compared to what you've seen before, what's your opinion of Kenny McLean now?

Bearing in mind, we seem to average giving teams 20 shots a game including (but not solely) shots outside the box? 

Both our centre back pairing have the tendency for making awful mistakes potentially leading to chances.

This gives no one any confidence whatsoever! 

He's scored more than Hwang to be fair, he's trying to do his bit! 😅

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Can’t remember a defensive performance as bad as that in many a year- he was hopeless today 

It doesn't help the manager's cause when Forshaw and Duffy, players who he wanted in and selected, put in the most dreaful performances for many a season.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

It doesn't help the manager's cause when Forshaw and Duffy, players who he wanted in and selected, put in the most dreaful performances for many a season.

Both were shocking today