KiwiScot

**Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Coventry v Norwich**

As our shaky form continues we visit Coventry today managed by ex-Canaries Mark Robins. They seem to have a mixed bag of results having drawn half their matches so far this season so a good possibility of an away win today, but it will probably be a draw.

Coventry(the Sky Blues) are 1987 FA cup winners and of late League 1 champions in 19/20. Their highest league positon being 6th in 69/70. A club we also got Maddison from.

Of Coventry itself well legend has it that the city was the birthplace of St. George, dragon slayer and patron saint of England. The phrase 'sent to Coventry' originated during the English Civil War, when captured Royalists were imprisoned in the heavily fortified and strongly pro-Parliament city. Food wise you might want to try and find a Coventry Godcake(like a mince pie)

A matchday graphic for Coventry City v Norwich City featuring Kenny McLean.

News - New sporting director Ben Knapper, loan manager from Arsenal. Rowe has been called up to the u21s. McCracken extends loan. Todays ref is Dean Whitestone.

Pay at the gate is available. Turnstiles 1-5 from 11:30am. Supporters can also order from the ticket office or online, and collect their booked tickets from the ticket office on the day from 11:30am. Please note, pay on the day is cash only. Coventry Fans at cash Turnstiles 30-35 from 1pm,

Todays shirt is sponsored by https://www.samaritans.org in honour of World Mental Health Day on the 10th of October with the players' match-worn and issued shirts auctioned off online on October 23 in order to raise money for the charity.

Previews - https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/match-preview-coventry-city-v-norwich-city-oct-2023

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/coventry-city/preview/preview-coventry-vs-norwich-prediction-team-news-lineups_525733.html

Coventry Forum Match Thread - https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/coventry-city-norwich-city-match-thread-saturday-7th-oct.153563/

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Thanks 1

That's a bit thin OP .... you might at least state that Coventry FC was founded as early as 1883 and that the club has, despite being a few years younger than the average age of City's Summer signings, nevertheless a history even longer than Jimmy Hill's chin.

Weren't they the first club to have an al-seater stadium (all suitably coloured sky blue) and before any ruling?

Didn't they later revet back due to falling attendances?*

*That's how I knew the colour of the seats.

I now note that you've embellished it all completely OP. Good read, and apologies for my (light-hearted) dig.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Reading other threads it sounds as if Coventry have 3 first choice midfielders out injured. To put that into context that's us losing McLean, Sara, Nunez all at the same time, leaving Forshaw and Gibbs to run all day.

So we have a match between one team with a weakened midfield and the other with a weakened attack. If we can get to grips with the midfield we ought to be able to shade this, if we can avoid stupid defensive errors.

Despite my criticism of Idah's miss midweek, I cannot see how DW can not start him ahead of Hwang. And he must continue with Forshaw. It was individual errors that cost us midweek (including the coaches mistakes) not the system.

But having said that, we do look an ordinary outfit at the moment and nowhere near ready to challenge.

Edited by keelansgrandad

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Despite my criticism of Idah's miss midweek, I cannot see how DW can not start him ahead of Hwang. And he must continue with Forshaw. It was individual errors that cost us midweek (including the coaches mistakes) not the system.

But having said that, we do look an ordinary outfit at the moment and nowhere near ready to challenge.

We could always go down the approach adopted by Man City in previous seasons (pre Harland), play with no recognised forward. If Idah and Hwang are not good enough then don't play them. Whether we have the midfield players to adopt this approach is another matter. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Agree, Idah in, Forshaw remaining would definitely be what I’d personally like to see. I’d like to see a CB change as well, but I think he’ll stick with them.

I was impressed by Springett, tried a little too hard at times but some great invention to create  opportunities.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Conrad said:

We could always go down the approach adopted by Man City in previous seasons (pre Harland), play with no recognised forward. If Idah and Hwang are not good enough then don't play them. Whether we have the midfield players to adopt this approach is another matter. 

Idah is good enough if we create chances, I’m not sure what the lad has to do to convince people, but the stats prove it.

I will just get this in Now ,

it is Idah's chance to make the No9 shirt his own !  

( if i say it every week i will be right one week )

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I am manifesting Borja and Batth to start even though I think we all know they won't be

If you are going to post incessantly you could at least learn not to finish a sentence with a preposition. 

44 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Idah is good enough if we create chances, I’m not sure what the lad has to do to convince people, but the stats prove it.

I don't think he has proved anything yet, but I don't like totally writing him off. This really is his chance though and I hope he takes it. If he doesn't, he may never do it.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Didn't Spain win a World Cup playing without forwards? Seem to remember this, and they would throw Torres on for the last 20mins. While I openly admit I'm no elite level coach, I'd say our current set of midfielders aren't quite at the level of Iniesta, Xavi,  Busquets, Fabregas et al...

That said I'd like to see Idah get 70 mins today. And not get slated. And maybe even rattle the onion bag!

i would like to see a young striker on the bench 

yes we need work rate all players should do that we also need goals to win matches  

3 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Didn't Spain win a World Cup playing without forwards? Seem to remember this, and they would throw Torres on for the last 20mins. While I openly admit I'm no elite level coach, I'd say our current set of midfielders aren't quite at the level of Iniesta, Xavi,  Busquets, Fabregas et al...

That said I'd like to see Idah get 70 mins today. And not get slated. And maybe even rattle the onion bag!

was it Spain or Barcelona ? but i remember a Spanish team doing it , 

Dimi been in the form of his life and he's dropped!!!!!! 

At risk of repeating the mistake of a couple weeks back when seeing the team...

He's lost the plot!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

FFS. What has Dimi done wrong? 

Maybe he's got a slight knock? Or, considering that McCallum was at Coventry for quite a bit, he might know how to play against their lads.

Complete guess, but I'm irritated that Gibson and Duffy are together again. We need a centre-half with more pace.

wonder where Gibbs is playing i would say CM  with Kenny  and Sara AM

but Wagner has said he can play as a striker ,

i really would not put that past Wagner 

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Maybe he's got a slight knock? Or, considering that McCallum was at Coventry for quite a bit, he might know how to play against their lads.

Complete guess, but I'm irritated that Gibson and Duffy are together again. We need a centre-half with more pace.

I'm 64 but that's me😂

• Haha 1

Can't believe Hernandez gets on the bench ahead of Sainz so perhaps still carrying a knock.

A chance for the CBs to redeem themselves.

People were moaning because Wagner weakened the midfield midweek so this selection seems sensible.

Good to see a bit of rotation with Sam and Gibbs.

I'm pleased to see Gibbs in there but I'd prefer to see him in the Forshaw role than the advanced role Wagner keeps talking about.  I presume Giannoulis is being rested - I think he's in his best form ever for us.

• Like 1

Dimi has had an excellent season but I suspect the amount he puts into it means he's due a bit of a rest

• Like 1

Wagner is starting to worry me now with his selections and subs. 

If Forshaw is fit he should be starting so we can play Sara in that more advanced role. If Gianoulis is fit he should also be starting. Stop pi***ng around with the team. 

• Like 1