Browno

Ben Knapper - New Sporting Director

Good luck to him. Could end up one of the best signings we've ever made. Looking forward to see some fresh ideas. Key for me is the team structure/formation, him a Wagner set. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

TransferRoom - Customer Stories - Arsenal

Football's Transfer Marketplace | TransferRoom

Never heard of Transfer Room, but looks like a platform our new Sporting Director uses. 

I read an article today about how fm24 is implementing transferoom.

It seems like a kinda forum for football teams to advertise the sale of players / what they are looking for 

Footballing plenty of fish 🐟 

Looks pretty young to me - and he'll have a lot of power at Carrow Road. 

Just hope this Kid Knapper doesn't hold the club to ransom........................................

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I doubt that. Or his nephew. But if he has a son apparently it’s on the cards.

Kid Knapper....

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

So Zoe Webber said in the TNC interview that we had all these amazing applicants for the job and how highly thought of the job was in world football…. And we get someone who’s never even done the job before? WTAF!!! Surely being successful in a DoF role at another club should have been a given for anyone who was getting the job! Cheap option again it seems. 

Football is no different to anywhere else in this respect really. The options when hiring are people who are doing the job at a similar or lower level business, or people who are doing a lower level role at a higher level business (or an internal).

I don’t see the issue with picking up someone in the latter category personally.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

For me the only requirement for the role would have been previous success in a similar position at another club. If I’m hiring staff at work I’m wanting people who can hit the ground running not people I have to spend 6 months training. 

Well anyone serious about developing a career would never apply for a job that they're already doing at the same level. It would show total lack of ambition!

Therefore the only plausible candidate would be someone from League One or Two and I'm sure that would bring plenty of negative comments too! 

This appointment was never going to bring widespread support and frankly, I suspect most people, myself included, don't have a clue about the person speciation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mastoola said:

does this mean webber will leave on that date?

No, it says on the press release that they will work together for a period to 'handover':

"Knapper will officially begin work at Norwich City on November 27. From that period, he will work through a handover period with existing sporting director Stuart Webber, who will then transition out of the business."

47 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think he's about 36-37, and i'm sure Webber was around the same age when he joined us?

Will certainly be interesting to see what his approach will be, and what kind of demeanour he has.  i.e. is he someone that wants to be involved with the media, or is he very much a private man.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Is his handover period with Webber commencing now or in November ?

He doesn't start until the 27th of Nov so it'd be a bit daft to commence it now as Webber would be stood in an empty room. :classic_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Is his handover period with Webber commencing now or in November ?

According to the Annual Report Zoe is in charge of Vision and Strategy. Can't she do the handover?

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

According to the Annual Report Zoe is in charge of Vision and Strategy. Can't she do the handover?

15 minutes ago, essex canary said:

No matter how many times I read that , I see nothing but a petty vendetta. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

No, it says on the press release that they will work together for a period to 'handover':

"Knapper will officially begin work at Norwich City on November 27. From that period, he will work through a handover period with existing sporting director Stuart Webber, who will then transition out of the business."

I think he's about 36-37, and i'm sure Webber was around the same age when he joined us?

Will certainly be interesting to see what his approach will be, and what kind of demeanour he has.  i.e. is he someone that wants to be involved with the media, or is he very much a private man.

Wasn't being 100% serious - see the next line of my post. The pun was good enough for Mello Yellow to copy it - but then they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

22 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The pun was good enough for Mello Yellow to copy it - but then they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

That indeed, was a great pun, and it went straight over my head on first read! :classic_biggrin:

Fits the profile, without a doubt. Experience developing youth, plenty of contacts, young, up coming, something to prove. He seems a very good appointment on paper. 

45 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No matter how many times I read that , I see nothing but a petty vendetta. 

How much TV  European football could you watch in the Emerald Isle this week without paying a single penny?

Not the same rip off as England is it?

8 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Fits the profile, without a doubt. Experience developing youth, plenty of contacts, young, up coming, something to prove. He seems a very good appointment on paper. 

Bit Brian Clough pointed out that the game is actually played on grass 

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

How much TV  European football could you watch in the Emerald Isle this week without paying a single penny?

Not the same rip off as England is it?

It's the Euro and cents in ROI.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's the Euro and cents in ROI.

Fair enough. The point is they don't pay to the same extent as the UK. FACT.

18 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Bit Brian Clough pointed out that the game is actually played on grass 

I appreciate your grasp on this game is particularly questionable but I would have thought even you would know that a sporting director doesn't actually play football for the club. 

4 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I know nothing about him but we know how highly our owners think of Webber so I'd say there's a fairly good chance that Knapper will have similar ideas and ways of doing things so I don't see much changing really. Webber has made some poor decisions on transfers but when you look at the finances he has to work he pretty much has to perform miracles to give us any chance of success. If you look at recent years we've had 100m+ in TV money come in, Attanasio has put a decent wedge in already, we've sold players for 10's of millions, shed a load of high earners and could only spend 1m this summer and the rest had to be on frees. I know we've been paying agent fees/wages/signing on fees etc so I'm not trying to say that we literally only spent 1m but when you look at the disparity between money in and money out it shows what a difficult job it is for a SD here with our financial situation. Good luck Knapper, you're gonna need it!

...so nothing's going to change then.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just hope this Kid Knapper doesn't hold the club to ransom........................................

He looks younger than some of our players.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

There are very few genuine fully-fledged DoFs in English football, and most of those are in the Premier League. It was very unlikely we would attract one of those, so unless it was someone from overseas then it was almost by definition going to be someone who hadn’t done the job before. Bear in mind that Webber was not a genuine DoF at Huddersfield and made the switch precisely because that was what we were offering.

I notice that Nick Ames of The Guardian says we have made a good choice.

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Kid Knapper....

I'm glad you said it.  I'd been waiting a while.   The kid knapper will be his name on here for quite a while, particularly when the honeymoon is over in about 2-3 years