Winning 25

The £200 million Norwich team that should have been

Would this young team currently be good enough to stay in the Prem?

Gunn

Arrons Omobamidele Godfrey Lewis

Skipp Sara

Buendia  Maddison   Murphy

Sargent

Subs:

Krul, Gibson, Giannoulis, Stacey, McLean, Rowe, Nunez, Morris, Redmond

Edited by Winning 25

23 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Where's Pukki? Or have I missed the point?

Redmond for Murphy any day.

It's just what I think would be our best line up (based on current abilities,) that we could have fielded, if Webber didn't sell most of them. Pukki is a bit past his best now, hench why he's not included 

3 hours ago, Winning 25 said:

Gunn

Skipp Sara

Sargent

Subs:

Skipp was never our player, three of the starting line up are still our players and I’d trust the defence we have now over that one as a whole. Buendia and Maddison any team would miss, to think bigger clubs aren’t going to prise away players of that calibre is deluded. Apart from that….

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Winning 25 said:

It's just what I think would be our best line up (based on current abilities,) that we could have fielded, if Webber didn't sell most of them. Pukki is a bit past his best now, hench why he's not included 

I don't quite get it.

Initially I thought it was to be a team made up of players we have sold for millions (or released) as the title suggests who are still playing. ie. Could we make up a decent squad from recent departures? 

Pukki, Cantwell therefore would have been in the squad. Mumba too?

Skipp was never our player.

I'll try my first thought.

Krul, Aarons, Toffolo, Omo, Godfrey, Maddison, Buendia, Johnson (back at Derby. U21s?) Cantwell (?) Mumba (?)

Pukki.

Very weak in central defence. Lots of flair, little steel, hence a geriatric Bradders. Are there any other centre backs still playing to add a bit of toughness?

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 hours ago, Winning 25 said:

Gunn

Skipp Sara

Sargent

Subs:

No chance any team is staying in the prem with that defence. 

• Like 2

A definite no chance, some creative talent in midfield, but the quality of the rest is questionable.  It merely points to the poor quality of defenders we have produced or bought for the last few years.  The last defenders who were really quality were Bowen, Culverhouse, Bruce and Linighan, all class putrchases for peanuts.

1 minute ago, pete said:

A definite no chance, some creative talent in midfield, but the quality of the rest is questionable.  It merely points to the poor quality of defenders we have produced or bought for the last few years.  The last defenders who were really quality were Bowen, Culverhouse, Bruce and Linighan, all class putrchases for peanuts.

You’ve forgotten the Doc ❤️

• Haha 1

Funny that despite the intention of the OP my first thought was that defence looks terrible and would struggle in championship let alone premier league! 
surprisingly made me think Webber had done a great job getting so much for a lot of them!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Winning 25 said:

Gunn

Skipp Sara

Sargent

Subs:

Do you seriously think that defence would stand a cat in hell's chance in the EPL?

You are looking at conceding 80+ goals there.

Edited by Big Vince

Don't quite get the point of the thread as there was a time when Pukki was worth more than Sarge. And didn't we get over £10m for Robbie Brady? At least he would make the bench.

Anyway, the answer is no.

I think that team plays into the frustration of many fans we have the players over the last 5 years to have at least had one “good” season in the premier league.

I would put forward that Alex Neil complete fudge up of the season before Webber was a massive missed opportunity. If he would have decisively moved over to the young players coming through Maddison, Godfrey, the Murphy's, Toffolo but it’s all ifs and buts now.

I think a more interesting question would be that in Webber's time, have we had any combination of players that might have stood a chance in the PL. 

My reply to thsat would be - 

Krul

Byram Duffy Zimmermann Giannoulis

Tettey  Skipp  

Buendia    Maddison  Sara

Pukki

Edited by lake district canary

Imagine Emi and Madders in the same team.

Not only would it be great to watch but would anyone else on the pitch ever see the ball? 😄

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

I think that team plays into the frustration of many fans we have the players over the last 5 years to have at least had one “good” season in the premier league.

I would put forward that Alex Neil complete fudge up of the season before Webber was a massive missed opportunity. If he would have decisively moved over to the young players coming through Maddison, Godfrey, the Murphy's, Toffolo but it’s all ifs and buts now.

Oh come on, Alex Neil did wonders. After all he brought in his best mate Steven Naismith for 8 million and paid him 50 grand a week to act like he would rather be anywhere else..

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think a more interesting question would be that in Webber's time, have we had any combination of players that might have stood a chance in the PL. 

Krul

Byram Duffy Stiepermann Giannoulis

Tettey  Skipp  

Pukki

I think (or hope) you mean Zimmermann in defence! But anyway, in Webber’s time we have had Godfrey,Hanley, Klose and Gibson, all of whom I would rather have in the centre of defence than Christoph. Don’t disagree with rest of the lineup, though I would find room for Wes, Vrančić and Pukki on the bench.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Byram Duffy Stiepermann Giannoulis

Tettey  Skipp  

Pukki

Bryan and Duffy

More likely chance of survival playing The Chuckle Brothers

Tettey and Skip is ok, I think Bradley Johnson would edge Tettey due to his better passing range and being a goal threat. Some might argue Howson was better than Skipp too.

I also think it's Zimmermann that is meant to be CB there, not Steips... Peak Zimbo was probably the best CB we have had in the last 10-15yrs bar poss peak Bassong.

Edited by chicken

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

I think (or hope) you mean Zimmermann in defence! But anyway, in Webber’s time we have had Godfrey,Hanley, Klose and Gibson, all of whom I would rather have in the centre of defence than Christoph. Don’t disagree with rest of the lineup, though I would find room for Wes, Vrančić and Pukki on the bench.

Yes, thanks, wasn't thinking straight! Zimmermann, of course. Doh!

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Byram Duffy Zimmermann Giannoulis

Tettey  Skipp  

Pukki

That front four: Phwoar!

The OP is a bit of silly fun, that any club can do, but I do have moments of fancy where I ponder an alternate reality where our 2021 summer recruitment goes better, we stay up under Farke, and then in 2022 have another good window, and are thus currently entering our 3rd straight PL campaign with a XI that looks something like this:

GK: Gunn

LB: Antonee Robinson

RB: Giannoulis

CB: Duffy, Manuel Akanji

LM: Buendia

RM: Phillip Billing

CM: Skipp, Sara

FW: Sargent, Ivan Toney

A dream, for sure, but fun to think about!

Edited by NorthCarolinaYellow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, duke63 said:

Imagine Emi and Madders in the same team.

Not only would it be great to watch but would anyone else on the pitch ever see the ball? 😄

Yes, they're both great passers of the ball , are you suggesting that they'd just pass to each other? If so you are as stupid as Essex.  

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yes, they're both great passers of the ball , are you suggesting that they'd just pass to each other? If so you are as stupid as Essex.  

Sense of humour bypass?

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Did you ever see the Murphy twins in the season we won the FA youth cup? That’s exactly what they did, nobody else got a look-in!

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Did you ever see the Murphy twins in the season we won the FA youth cup? That’s exactly what they did, nobody else got a look-in!

I did ,I was at the home leg,  it was fun but basic , madders and Emi are light years ahead of the Murphy twins ...as time has proved. 

11 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

I'd have Mitchell Djiks at left back, the utter monster that he was. 

Ivo Pintos partner in crime now at Fortuna!