35 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Is Lauren James now gonna be the female version of David Beckham in how he was vilified after 1998?

Doubt it. En-ger-land won the tie, after all.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Why? She's a professional footballer representing her country. Women's football is every bit as important as men's. I'd probably back off holding them to lower standards because they're female.

Quite so - a stupid ducking idiot is a stupid ducking idiot. No reason not to say so because it’s a woman, that is just stupid.

Edit - presumably she gets a two-match ban so there’ll be a tough selection decision to make if we get to the final.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Looks like it

Not now we won. The hyperbolic anger directed at Beckham was due to the fact that his antics probably cost us the win. It was a huge over-reaction though; I'm sure I remember a pub hanging a Beckham effigy from their sign. Like James today, he was a stupid ****ing idiot in that match against Argentina but some people are just braindead where football is concerned. I'm certainly guilty of being braindead during a game when the adrenaline is pumping, but to continue with that level of anger for days after is stupid.

I still stand by Lauren James being a stupid ****ing idiot in that match though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Why? She's a professional footballer representing her country. Women's football is every bit as important as men's. I'd probably back off holding them to lower standards because they're female.

Positive discrimination is a thing.

I would never call a woman a stupid ****ing idiot for doing something on a football pitch, unless it was unloading an ak47 into the front row or something.

How would you feel if she was your daughter being called a stupid ****ing idiot? You’d never say that in real life mate.

Just now, Captain Holt said:

I would never call a woman a stupid ****ing idiot for doing something on a football pitch, unless it was unloading an ak47 into the front row or something.

How would you feel if she was your daughter being called a stupid ****ing idiot? You’d never say that in real life mate.

I'd feel exactly the same way as if it was my son being called a stupid ****ing idiot. And if they are adults playing professional sport for their club or country, I'd accept that it comes with the territory.

So you would call a professional man a stupid ****ing idiot for doing something on a football pitch but not a woman who did the same thing? Or is it just the whole insulting any professional athlete that does stupid things you have an issue with?

I get why you'd adopt the second point, though wouldn't necessarily agree with it. The first point I don't think you can agree with without some entrenched misogyny somewhere.

Very fortunate to go through. Idiotic behaviour by James as she won’t feature again in the tournament now

15 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

People say things when they’re angry which they don’t mean but you shouldn’t be immune from criticism based on whether you’re a man or a woman. 

I’m sure Lauren James will know herself what she has done and will face the consequences and come back a stronger player, Sabrina Weigmann doesn’t strike me as someone who would cast a player aside for an act of stupidity rather embrace it and work on how that player can move on from it 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

You can't strive for equality and then pick and choose the bits you like I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I didn't spot Lauren James in that team huddle at the end. Not sure whether that means anything. In fairness, maybe she isn't allowed back on the field of play even after the game is over?

Once a player has been sent off from the field of play they are not allowed to return to the field of play - effectively confined to the dressing room.

As it will likely be deemed violent conduct, that is a three game ban, so with only three games left that is the end of World Cup for James.

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Once a player has been sent off from the field of play they are not allowed to return to the field of play - effectively confined to the dressing room.

As it will likely be deemed violent conduct, that is a three game ban, so with only three games left that is the end of World Cup for James.

Even if they go lenient I'd be tempted to send her home anyway if I was Weigman. Huge loss as she was fantastic in the group stages.

Would that ban extend to a final? Surely they would be allowed to celebrate on the pitch then?!

Edited by canarydan23

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

No, FIFA rules are different. It is an automatic 1 match ban, although the disciplinary committee can extend it in extreme cases-which I don't think this is.

Edited by BigFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigFish said:

No, FIFA rules are different. It is an automatic 1 match ban, although the disciplinary committee can extend it in extreme cases-which I din't think this is.

Sensible, it needs to be proportionate. A 3 game ban in the Premier League is what, about 7% of the fixtures? 3 games in a World Cup is massive. She was an idiot, but it wasn't ever going to inflict a serious injury. One game seems fair, two at a push.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

It was a huge over-reaction though; I'm sure I remember a pub hanging a Beckham effigy from their sign.

To me, this is the reason why James should not receive the vilification that Beckham did. Not because she's a woman, or because women's football is less important, or anything like that.

Rather, we should recognise that the abuse Beckham got was completely disproportionate, we should learn from that and not inflict it on anyone else, male or female.

Surely it should be possible to criticise James for something that was at best stupid and at worst malicious, note that she might well have cost her team the chance of progressing at a tournament, but then get off her back and allow her to learn from her mistake. As others have said, most of us probably did things at 21 we regret - we just had the benefit of not doing them on TV in front of millions of people.

• Like 5

I’m confused, is the issue calling someone a stupid idiot?

or the use of swearing in saying ****ing? 

I don’t condone any public or personal abuse directed at her, and I hope she doesn’t receive any.

However she was objectively stupid and idiotic in her actions.

Everyone can have a “heads gone”, Lauren’s got a good team around her she,ll be fine

england were crap though. Super crap

58 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

england were crap though. Super crap

Come on Buh, England weren't brilliant but Nigeria are no pushovers, all they lacked was a decent striker. Their physicality (c.f. China for instance) made them really tough to beat, any side trying to play around them would struggle, England did okay to create so many chances.

And Chloe Kelly, although her hold play was found wanting (probably because she was a sub trying to catch up with the pace and physicality of the game), has to be the coolest penalty taker in England!

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

And Chloe Kelly [...] has to be the coolest penalty taker in England!

I'll give you good odds on it being Ivan Toney 😉

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

To me, this is the reason why James should not receive the vilification that Beckham did. Not because she's a woman, or because women's football is less important, or anything like that.

Rather, we should recognise that the abuse Beckham got was completely disproportionate, we should learn from that and not inflict it on anyone else, male or female.

Surely it should be possible to criticise James for something that was at best stupid and at worst malicious, note that she might well have cost her team the chance of progressing at a tournament, but then get off her back and allow her to learn from her mistake. As others have said, most of us probably did things at 21 we regret - we just had the benefit of not doing them on TV in front of millions of people.

Very true, the reaction to Beckham was daft and way OTT.  It's fair to criticise James, but if she's banned for a game and we get through to the semis then she's back in contention to play and that's completely fair enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

You can't strive for equality and then pick and choose the bits you like I'm afraid.

You can, you can do exactly that. 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Come on Buh, England weren't brilliant but Nigeria are no pushovers, all they lacked was a decent striker. Their physicality (c.f. China for instance) made them really tough to beat, any side trying to play around them would struggle, England did okay to create so many chances.

And Chloe Kelly, although her hold play was found wanting (probably because she was a sub trying to catch up with the pace and physicality of the game), has to be the coolest penalty taker in England!

The problem with playing Keira Walsh is that everyone knows how to stop us playing with Keira Walsh. Re-think needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'll give you good odds on it being Ivan Toney 😉

Maybe he always had money on Toney to miss a penalty. He wins either way goal bonus or the bet that’s why he is so good at them.

59 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Hope she gets 3 games , such a stupid thing to do

I'd like 2 games, then a return off the bench to score the winner in the World Cup Final.

One hell of a redemption arc.

• Like 1

Don't undestand the sympathy for James. She stood on a player. With football boots on. It was deliberate and intentional. She is more than an idiot.  Why does football always try and excuse itself?

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Agree re the penalty, still chuckling about the cheeky run up, reminded me of the praying mantis from Karate Kid...........

1 match ban. Heat of the moment stuff. She's a young kid who made a mistake.

Stampy mings has done it several times and somehow still has a career

On 07/08/2023 at 21:04, The Raptor said:

1 match ban. Heat of the moment stuff. She's a young kid who made a mistake.

Stampy mings has done it several times and somehow still has a career

Fifa upgraded it to a two game ban earlier 

• Thanks 1