18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Including a 0-0 draw against that powerhouse of the USA and six against the Iranian Wheeltappers And Shunters Invitational XI. As for the 31 in the last 10, eleven of them came against the scintillating, devastating Maltese and North Macedonians.

How many should England have scored in these games? 40? 50?

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

How many should England have scored in these games? 40? 50?

That's not really the point. The key point is that goals aren't really a cast-iron indicator of entertainment. Just because England's men whacked in that many goals against often overmatched opposition doesn't necessarily mean they were entertaining to watch. I would say they were very clinical and efficient in taking their chances, but that is, for me, only a small part of the entertainment.

Hard-fought, close games against relatively well-matched opposition are much more entertaining. Haiti surprised everyone with that performance as a debutant, not to mention this women's side have several key players out. And Denmark are always a very solid women's team. England's women famously beat Latvia 20-0 a couple of years ago and I was bored. As much as I like underdog teams turning up, some resistance has to be offered.

42 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's not really the point. The key point is that goals aren't really a cast-iron indicator of entertainment. Just because England's men whacked in that many goals against often overmatched opposition doesn't necessarily mean they were entertaining to watch. I would say they were very clinical and efficient in taking their chances, but that is, for me, only a small part of the entertainment.

Hard-fought, close games against relatively well-matched opposition are much more entertaining. Haiti surprised everyone with that performance as a debutant, not to mention this women's side have several key players out. And Denmark are always a very solid women's team. England's women famously beat Latvia 20-0 a couple of years ago and I was bored. As much as I like underdog teams turning up, some resistance has to be offered.

So basically, if England play attacking football and smash Macedonia, Iran and Malta then it's boring because it's not close. If the games are closer with fewer goals, England are turgid and defensive, and really should be hammering these sides. 

I think the issue is that a lot of people decided five years ago that Southgate isn't exactly an outgoing, charismatic character, so that automatically makes his teams boring too. This is despite the fact that he has overseen England's most successful period in the last 50 years and, when compared to the world's other top countries, England have an excellent goals-per-game record in recent times. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So basically, if England play attacking football and smash Macedonia, Iran and Malta then it's boring because it's not close. If the games are closer with fewer goals, England are turgid and defensive, and really should be hammering these sides. 

I think the issue is that a lot of people decided five years ago that Southgate isn't exactly an outgoing, charismatic character, so that automatically makes his teams boring too. This is despite the fact that he has overseen England's most successful period in the last 50 years and, when compared to the world's other top countries, England have an excellent goals-per-game record in recent times. 

Not in my case, as I've defended Southgate more than most on here. Indeed I maintain he does exactly the right thing to get the best out of a very imbalanced generation of England players - a bumper crop of attacking midfielders, but short of depth in goal, upfront and in the centre of defence.

He can play attacking football if the opposition are sub-standard or average, but against the top sides he has to be much more prudent with the generation he has.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

He can play attacking football if the opposition are sub-standard or average, but against the top sides he has to be much more prudent with the generation he has.

I mean, are people even arguing against this? It's pretty much a universal given by now, isn't it?

I would use the god knows what mauling the Lionesses gave Latvia as evidence of their more attack-minded and exciting approach, I don't need to. That @Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man has to use drubbings v Malta and Iran to make a point is rather telling.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I mean, are people even arguing against this? It's pretty much a universal given by now, isn't it?

I would use the god knows what mauling the Lionesses gave Latvia as evidence of their more attack-minded and exciting approach, I don't need to. That @Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man has to use drubbings v Malta and Iran to make a point is rather telling.

So what point are you trying to make here? If you're agreeing with TGS's point, then you're saying that he's too attacking against the big sides? That's the total opposite of what you said previously. 

To be honest, I haven't seen enough of the England women's side to comment on them, although I have seen large chunks of both games at the World Cup so far. But talking purely about Southgate's England men's team, I find the 'turgid and defensive' description rather baffling. 

England teams are rarely entertaining to watch in my experience. International football in general is seldom good to watch as most teams just try not to lose. It's always a bore fest, no matter who the manager is or what players are available. Southgate is just the latest in a long line of boring managers. Although from the positions he got the team to in the last three tournaments it was a shame he didn't have the Ben Stokes attitude required to actually win them.

Just watched a brilliant match, Colombia v Germany. As entertaining as any mens World Cup matched I've watched. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Just watched a brilliant match, Colombia v Germany. As entertaining as any mens World Cup matched I've watched. 

Unfortunately, I watched the NZ v Swiss match and it was dire. Considering what was on the line for both teams there were very few if any chances on target. The Swiss knew a draw was good enough but NZ just didn't play with any tempo.

Brilliant from the lionesses today. James is some player but all round great performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Kinda feel sorry for China they're being bullied

Makes a change!

8 minutes ago, ec-p said:

Brilliant from the lionesses today. James is some player but all round great performance. 

James is better than her brother!

51 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Loving the micing up of refs.

Check out yesterday's from the Australia v Canada game, hilarious.

England have had a bit of Southgate luck here, Nigeria and then either Colombia or Jamaica as a path to the semi-final is a golden opportunity to go deep.

USA looking beatable as well.

Surprised no comments on the England game. Has been pretty even so far - though yet another highlight of how var is really rather stupid and needs amending.

If a foul is committed, it should be a penalty if in the area, or a free kick if it isn’t. Why on earth do you restart with a drop ball to the defending side if it is deemed outside?  That is just bizarre. England got caught by this against France in December and now again today.

Surprised Sarina hasn't reverted back to their 4-3-3, what they've started with has  clearly not worked the way it did v China. Take off a CB for Toone.