Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Yobocop's Big Question: Who is the Most Obscure Norwich City

Some really good suggestions here, I think there are a lot of cult heroes listed but not sure if some of them are obscure however I think that’s open to interpretation 

another name: 

Steve Walsh 

1 hour ago, TheRock said:

A few names immediately come to mind:

Kei Kamara

Marc Libra

Henri Lansbury

Leroy Lita

Elvis Hammond

The winner for me by a mile is Dani Pacheco 😂, a short-lived stint at Norwich, only six apperances yet most can probably remember his contributions in the conclusion of the 2010/11 promotion season.

Forgot all about Leroy Lita !

Harry Redknapp signed for us on loan during Bond's first or second season but was injured for the whole of his loan period, so never made an appearance.

Bond also tried, unsuccessfully, to sign Bobby Moore from Fulham & Alan Ball when he was at Southampton-we came very close to signing Ball as well but in the end, given the choice between Norwich or playing in Canada, he opted for the latter.

To think we could have had Alan Ball and Martin Peters in our midfield.

16 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Harry Redknapp signed for us on loan during Bond's first or second season but was injured for the whole of his loan period, so never made an appearance.

Bond also tried, unsuccessfully, to sign Bobby Moore from Fulham & Alan Ball when he was at Southampton-we came very close to signing Ball as well but in the end, given the choice between Norwich or playing in Canada, he opted for the latter.

To think we could have had Alan Ball and Martin Peters in our midfield.

That’s insane 

I love little snippets like this thank you 

Edited by Yobocop

3 hours ago, Herman said:

The footballer/skat singer Papa Booba Doop, or something like that. 

I remember this guy random signing didn’t play much then due to injuries got a one off start against QPR and put in a fantastic one man performance which included one of the most audacious pieces of skill I have ever seen at Carrow Road a jay jay Okocha crossover. He also dived around a lot, apparently spat at the QPR fans and generally made a nuisance of himself. He also assisted the only goal I think in a 1-0 win.

Was looking forward to him kicking on them for reasons I forget he left the club soon after never to surface again.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Herman said:

It was a bit of an urban myth that it was the same Papa Bouba Diop that played for Fulham but it was a different guy 

this guy was Pape Seydou Diop, highlight of his career was gobbing at some QPR fans 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

yes you are right ! when was Elvis then ?

We signed Elvis at the very start of that season, soon sending him back after the Hucks and Crouch loans. So hard to believe that in 2 months time that'll be 20 years ago.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

I win.

Trialist.

The best trialist we ever had was surely Football manager legend Cherno Samba!

He always ended up world class on one game and you could pick him up for 200,000 from Millwall I think it was. First player I always signed.  Never really made it professionally. 

Played for us on trial in a friendly against Thetford. Got a feeling he even scored!

Edited by The Raptor

Gunny had Michael Bridges (ex-Sunderland and Leeds) on trial prior to the 09/10 season, I was really hoping we'd sign him as he was still only 30 at the time & had looked quite the mustard at Leeds, albeit several years earlier. He ended up in Carlisle but, as we got someone from around that way in the end, I guess it doesn't really matter now!

Remember watching David Rocastle play for us on an absolute mud heap of a pitch at Reading's old Elm Park ground back in 1997. he glided above it as if he was on his own carpet of air & was easily the best player on the pitch that night. We wanted to sign him and he was keen to come but we couldn't get even near the wages he was on. A pity....

8 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

John O'Neill 

Probably the only player of that era (mid to late 80's) that I never got to see play 

Not many did but I was at the one game that he played-in fact I was talking about it last night with my brother.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

David Rocastle.

Mate has just mentioned Steven Rocastle

'Steven also played for Norwich reserves.'

He was the younger brother of footballer David Rocastle.

40 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

The best trialist we ever had was surely Football manager legend Cherno Samba!

He always ended up world class on one game and you could pick him up for 200,000 from Millwall I think it was. First player I always signed.  Never really made it professionally. 

Played for us on trial in a friendly against Thetford. Got a feeling he even scored!

Thanks for the reminder of me 14 years ago showing my alter-ego as well 😉 

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Think he spat at the QPR fans on boxing day if I remember 

19 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

Talking of QPR, Tony Fernandes has ended his association with them. Given Fernandes has been mentioned heavily  in terms of his declared interest in Norwich in the past, does he qualify for this thread? 🤔 🤣 

1 hour ago, raunds canary said:

I think most people have or at least thought of doing it.😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Talking of QPR, Tony Fernandes has ended his association with them. Given Fernandes has been mentioned heavily  in terms of his declared interest in Norwich in the past, does he qualify for this thread? 🤔🤣 

May be featured in later episodes of the series 

• Like 1

Couple of standouts for me

Andrew Brownrigg “the next Dave Watson” 

and in the Mike Walker glory years we had an East German international called Andreas Wagenhaus lurking in the reserve squad but hardly played a game. 

Good mentions earlier of Jose Maria Bakero and the very underrated David Fox